Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golden State Killer / East Area Rapist Finally CAUGHT

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle Eileen McNamara

The Book by Michelle McNamara (Patton Oswalt's deceased wife) is a solid read and covers a lot of the noise on this case.

Coincidentally, The first day of shooting for the HBO Documentary about this case, " I'll Be Gone In The Dark" was yesterday

Load Metric
    It’s kind of odd these old ass cases suddenly get solved when TV crews start digging. That Durst weirdo was the same way.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Name:  Deangelo_Article_ExeterSun_22Aug1973-1.png
Views: 1187
Size:  281.8 KB

Sketch of the Visalia Ransacker:

Name:  Visalia_Ransacker.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  74.6 KB
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Possibly paywalled for you, but hey! It’s the NYT!

How a Genealogy Site Led to the Front Door of the Golden State Killer Suspect - The New York Times
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/2...te-killer.html
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

How a Genealogy Site Led to the Front Door of the Golden State Killer Suspect - The New York Times
    Creepy shit. Not the murders but the 23andme privacy issue
    From the article

If law enforcement located the suspect through a genealogy site, it could raise ethical issues, particularly if individuals did not consent to having their genetic profiles searched against crime scene evidence.
    Would their deaths have been worth the cause of privacy protection? I think you know the answer

Load Metric

This is actually pretty amazing (and creepy as fuck at the same time).

Guess this will blow up, never thought of it as something that could be done, but makes perfect sense.

Silver
    Load Metric
    OK, here it goes. This is a MS word rant, based on talking with my wife for the last few hours, and matching up dates and scenarios.

---

Is the East Area Rapist the Zodiac?

The conventional line of thinking has always been the Zodiac wasn’t sexual in his crimes, so the two were obviously different people.

In some circles, it is sacrilegious to even explore the possibilities but these two share a lot more similarities than differences, imo.

Now that we have a person and time to lock timelines too, it sure becomes fun to kick around the possibilities that they might be one and the same.

Easiest way to dismiss these possibilities is by overlapping his time in the military with the confirmed Zodiac kills, which would be relatively easy to confirm or deny.

Based on articles I’ve been able to find, EAR was in San Diego in the Summer of 67, following service in Vietnam. First Zodiac kill was December of 68, 15 months or so later.

If EAR served 20 months as reported, and he shipped out at least 4 months before we caught up with him in SD FOLLOWING his service in Vietnam (a very reasonable assumption), this puts him back in the US right around the time Zodiac first popped up.

Nice crew cut the Zodiac had in composites, btw.

There is a lot that lines up, and obviously some stuff that doesn’t.

I know there is supposedly DNA from the Zodiac on an envelope, but until you have two pieces of DNA, you can't really prove anything.

Now that we know the EAR guy grew up in the Sacramento region, Lake Berryessa, Vallejo, Benicia and San Francisco, really aren't too far away, especially for someone who traveled from Visalia, to Sacramento to the East Bay to Orange Country, and back.

In fact, they are all on/off of 80, in the exact opposite direction from Folsom, where he grew up. If you go the other direction from Folsom, you end up in Nevada.

Much better to head the other way on 80 to do your dirt in the Bay, which opens up the possibility the killer could have come from any direction.

So back to the sexual vs. non sexual nature of the crimes.

EAR went from ransacker to rapist to murder , if you believe the official story, which says he started out burglarizing houses, and progressed into burglarizing houses and raping women who were home alone, to burglarizing and raping women home with a man, and finally to burglarizing, raping and murdering men and/or women. Let’s not forget he also raped a 13 year old along the way.

This guy has a very, very, very wide range, and a way of scaling up the stakes that is all his own.

From cop, to rapist, to murder to mechanic and father of 3 seemingly smart, educated women, one of which is a doctor.

It is certainly isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that EAR he started out an impersonal killer, shooting couples at a distance and not having the balls to do much else (other than stab them!), given his needs and desire to get up close and personal but his impotence and uncomfortable nature around women which always held him back.

In 1970, the Zodiac kidnapped a woman on the highway near Modesto CA, a quick 45 minute ride down the highway from Sacramento, and in between Sacramento and Visailia, where he was a cop a few years later in 1973. She claimed there was nothing he did sexually, but he scared her in other ways.

It might have been beyond his capabilities to rape someone still at this point, and he was working his way up to sexual assault, just like the Visalia Ramsacker.

From ransacker and getting inside homes and getting more comfortable, to rape, to raping with an incapacitated man nearby, bringing it full circle to the early Zodiac crimes.

Vietnam turned him into Zodiac, and heartbreak turned him into EAR/GSK.

Other overlaps

1. Flashlight in faces to obscure identity
    2. Tying up victims
    3. Attacking couples
    4. Disguises and masks
    5. Scouting out victims from afar
    6. Zodiac claims a much bigger kill count
    7. Taunting the police / Taunting victims
    8. Ability to turn on / off and disappear.
    9. Zodiac hated the police and taunted them. EAR became one.
    10. Zodiac promises he would talk to either F Lee Bailey or Melvin Belli, a prominent SF Attorney. Years later, EAR married one, and during a good part of his spree, she was in law school, giving him the freedom to commit his crimes.
    Last edited by v12cl; 04-27-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Load Metric
    Ready to have your confidence in the use of DNA evidence to identify criminal perps utterly shattered? If not, then don’t read this story.

Framed for Murder By His Own DNA
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...y-his-own-dna/
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post

Guess this will blow up, never thought of it as something that could be done, but makes perfect sense.
    I'm not sure where I am on this spectrum. While I don't think LE did anything wrong legally, it is on the fringes ethically. But shouldn't that be ok when tracking one of the most prolific rapists ever? Does it open Pandora's box? Should that matter anyways? Don't break the law if you're concerned your great aunt twice removed may have voluntarily uploaded her DNA profile online.

I've often wondered why our DNA profiles aren't put into a national database as part of the process of getting a social security number. Other than wanting to commit heinous sex crimes undetected, for the most part, why would anyone oppose this? Is there something super obvious im missing?
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post

I'm not sure where I am on this spectrum. While I don't think LE did anything wrong legally, it is on the fringes ethically. But shouldn't that be ok when tracking one of the most prolific rapists ever? Does it open Pandora's box? Should that matter anyways? Don't break the law if you're concerned your great aunt twice removed may have voluntarily uploaded her DNA profile online.

I've often wondered why our DNA profiles aren't put into a national database as part of the process of getting a social security number. Other than wanting to commit heinous sex crimes undetected, for the most part, why would anyone oppose this? Is there something super obvious im missing?

The main reason I could think of is that it could always be hacked. I mean, DNA shows things about your future health and susceptibility to certain diseases. It seems like a small step to someone’s DNA being part of someone’s employment background check, with companies weeding out prospective employees based on increased likelihood of disease, rather than their present health.

I’ve never really thought about it, but off the top of my head, I recall an article where 2% of married fathers who had every reason to expect a child was their own, were not in fact the child’s father. It wasn’t a sample of random single moms who claimed x was the Dad, but of seemingly stable families with children conceived in marriage. Can you imagine the potential blackmail opportunities? Can you imagine getting blasted on Facebook with the news that your dad wasn’t your dad at 25 because some Eastern European hacker dropped a ton of hacked files on some website? People are mean-spirited. You’d have black people pissed that someone was related to some slaveowner 200 years ago, or just other assorted mean-spirited invasions of privacy.

I’ve seen numerous stories of people abusing their position to spy on girlfriends with drones by military personel, and police everywhere routinely run shit for friends and family they aren’t legally allowed to. It makes me uncomfortable that my DNA profile would be available to hackers or just generally corrupt people.

I can think of other problematic things, but that it has to be stored somewhere that can be hacked or viewed is the main problem to me that could start off all the other bad outcomes.

Comments

jsearles22: Good thoughts

MumblesBadly: :this
    Last edited by BCR; 04-29-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Here's a good overview of how they caught him: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.a0db90d539a0

The DNA only got them to ancestors dating back to the early 1800s. They had to painstakingly go through the family trees to figure out who was a possible suspect.

After a shit ton of work, they narrowed it down to two people -- mostly by gender, age, and ties to the areas where the killings took place at those times. The suspect who seemed more likely wasn't Joseph DeAngelo, but rather another man who seemed to fit the profile more. They didn't like DeAngelo as much because of his law enforcement background, and the other individual seemed to fit the mold of a serial killer much more. However, when they acquired his DNA, it clearly wasn't a match. That left DeAngelo, and after they got his DNA from two sources, it was a perfect match.

Here's some details about the crimes, including 120 (!!) burglaries in the relatively small city of Visalia in 1974 prior to the killing spree, which are now attributed to DeAngelo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ec8267c5beb1

It is still not clear why he stopped his spree in 1986. Some feel that he had a near-failure in one of his invasion murders, where it seemed one of the male victims (Gregory Sanchez) fought back, and perhaps injured him. After that murder, DeAngelo stopped for 5 years, committing one more rape and murder (the victim was an 18-year-old girl), and then stopping completely. So the possible theories for him stopping:

- He got spooked by the fight with Sanchez, and decided to quit his crime spree, fearing his capture or death was inevitable. He committed one more rape/murder five years later against a relatively easy target when he couldn't help himself, then stopped completely.

- At the age of 36, he felt that the physical demands of the break-ins and murders were getting too tough, and decided to call it quits, especially after the Sanchez situation.

- DeAngelo's testosterone levels declined with age, which lowered his drive to commit these crimes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Suddenly he's in a wheelchair and can barely speak.

It's either the shock of the whole thing, or he's putting on an act to seem frail and grandfatherly, rather than the monster he is.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Looks like the police in 1979 screwed up, and arrested an innocent man for a rape and murder.

The guy pled guilty because it looked like he was screwed, and was told he would be paroled in 5 years. Instead, he never got paroled, and died in prison in 2013.

An attorney took an interest in the case because she was almost abducted herself in the same area in 1979, and believes it might have been the Golden State Killer who went after her.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/golden-sta...ry?id=56834903

It does appear that this one was the work of the Golden State Killer. It had the hallmarks of many of his crimes:

- She was tied up with a cord from her window blinds

- She lived 0.3 miles from a drainage ditch

- The killer stayed around for hours after the rape/murder, and ate food in the house

All three elements above were common with other home invasion murders he committed, and all three are fairly unusual.

He had committed other crimes in the same area starting in August 1980. However, in late 1979, his crimes seemed to take place only in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, about 80-120 miles north of Orange County where this rape/murder took place. That is the one aspect which would go against the theory at D'Angelo did it.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Definitely not the only time the police and prosecutors have railroaded the innocent.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Expect a lot of old pervs to be arrested in the coming years.

Another rape/murder cold case was solved using the same DNA-to-genealogy-websites method which caught the Golden State Killer.

66-year-old Gary Hartman was arrested last week for the 1986 murder of Michella Welch, who was just 12 at the time of her death. She was abducted from a park in Tacoma, Washington, raped, and killed. DNA was collected at the time, but there were no arrests.

Police decided to ship that DNA to an ancestry service, did the family tree detective work, and came up with Gary Hartman and his brother. They followed both, obtained their DNA, and Gary turned out to be the culprit.

Hartman, now 66, was 34 at the time he committed the crime.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/22/us/co...86/index.html#

It's possible that Hartman's crime against Michella Welch caused a copycat murder to be committed 5 months later.

Michella was murdered in March 1986. In May 1986, a 28-year-old man named Robert Washburn called police about the Welch case. He claimed he recognized the composite sketch of Michella's killer, and that it was a jogger who frequented a different park in Tacoma called Point Defiance Park.

Three months later, in August 1986, a 13-year-old girl named Jennifer Bastian was abducted, raped, and murdered in Point Defiance Park. Her body was not immediately found, but was located 3 weeks later in the park. She was not hastily buried, but rather the burial site had been prepared prior to the murder taking place.

Not having solved either murder, they interviewed Washburn again in December 1986. He reiterated having seen the jogger in Point Defiance Park, and then mentioned a "foul odor" he had noticed in August at a specific area of the park shortly after Jennifer's disappearance. He also admitted having snuck into the closed-off park shortly after the murder, which was when he claimed he had noticed the foul smell. The area where he claimed to have smelled her body was exactly where it was located. (It's not clear whether this had been reported in the media when the body was found -- I'm guessing it was, thus giving him an alibi for knowing about it.)

In 2016, they decided to look at the Bastian cold case again, and Washburn was one of the suspects, given his weird call about the Michella murderer being a jogger from Point Defiance Park, three months before a second similar murder actually taking place in that park.

They got him to voluntarily provide a DNA sample in 2017, and it turned out he was indeed the rapist and murderer of Jennifer.

So Washburn probably read about the first rape/murder of a 12-year-old girl, wanted to do the same thing, and thought that setting up the phony "jogger" story would allow him to get away with it and have the initial murderer blamed.

He was finally arrested in May 2018. It is not clear why it took so long to both obtain his DNA and arrest him.

Comments

big dick: hope he gets beaten and raped daily

Load Metric
    honestly how dare you slander the name gary like this

Load Metric
    When they got the East Area Rapist I guessed a number of unsolved cases might finally get a break and if the guy were alive he would go on trial at an advanced age. I'm not sure why but I have a morbid fascination with this stuff and tend to read about this type of case.

Here are a few cases that IMO have a real possibility of being solved now, or unidentified victims who will finally have names and families:

Zodiac Killer
    Honolulu Strangler
    Robert Ivan Nichols (a/k/a Joseph Newton Chandler III)
    Sahara Sue
    Little Miss Lake Panasoffkee
    Sumter County Does
    El Dorado Jane Doe (a/k/a "Mercedes")
    Somerton Man

Load Metric
    you are such a gross weirdo

Load Metric
    https://nypost.com/2019/04/09/80-yea...irginia-beach/

Another one

A nearly half-century-old cold-case murder of two young women in Virginia has finally been cracked with the arrest of an 80-year-old man in New York, police said Tuesday.

Ernest Broadnax was linked through some recently found DNA evidence to the double slaying, which occurred at a Virginia Beach motel in 1973 and was probed as part of a possible serial-killer pattern.

Load Metric
    putting him in jail for the rest of his life is pointless and not nearly enough of a punishment considering he is 80.

He should be tortured every second of his life untill the day he dies fucking horrible cunt
    Last edited by big dick; 04-10-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Interesting multi-part story here, including multimedia, about Joseph DeAngelo's llife. The first part is all about Bonnie Coldwell, the girl who broke off their engagement and presumably set him off to his life of crime.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/man...killer-serial/

During a 1978 rape, DeAngelo cried and yelled "I hate you Bonnie" into a pillow.

Bonnie is still alive and around 70, and has been interviewed multiple times by police, as well as hassled by media.

Thread Information