Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basically your worst flying nightmare came true today

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cleatus View Post
    Looked at some pics and I think the only part of the turbine that failed is the cowls. The inlet cowl tore loose and flew away damaging the right cowl and removing the left cowl entirely. Pilot reported a fire in left engine. He or a control system possibly shut down the engine immediately after the noise and vibration began. Or a piece of the cowl made it past the fan and into the axial flow compressor. Never was a fire.

The dead had the extreme bad luck of a small piece of cowling flying over the wing and breaking her window. If she actually partially went through the window, her head was certainly outside. It's impossible to breathe in 400 mph wind. Opening your mouth creates a venturi effect, lungs empty, and ya asphyxiate. Zero blood on her seat or window frame.

what do ya'll think.
    https://gizmodo.com/report-metal-fat...ngi-1825345316

Article talks about NTSB discovering that the 13th of 24 fan blades in the turbine snapping. Possible "metal fatigue". This plane was put into service by Southwest almost 18 years ago. Didn't Southwest get reammed by the govy for poor maintenance a few years ago? Can imagine their planes having more miles on the odometer than most airlines' planes.

"

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    It obviously busted off due to structural failure.

I remember thinking I was smart figuring out this guy wasn't being genuine til I figured out he wasn't being genuine. Now he's a cartoon.

#throwback

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    https://gizmodo.com/report-metal-fat...ngi-1825345316

Article talks about NTSB discovering that the 13th of 24 fan blades in the turbine snapping. Possible "metal fatigue". This plane was put into service by Southwest almost 18 years ago. Didn't Southwest get reammed by the govy for poor maintenance a few years ago? Can imagine their planes having more miles on the odometer than most airlines' planes.
    "
    NTSB inspector looking directly at fan blade base and low pressure shaft in pic 1 on page 1. So if a blade is missing its easily seen. The fan's RPMs are slower than the compressor RPM because they are on concentric shafts driven by different turbines. In none of the pics is there any sign of damage to the metal enclosing the fan or anything besides the missing cowling forward of the fan. No puncture wounds on remaining piece of cowling in pic 2. No punctures on fuselage, admittedly poor pics to see, but missing window is high relief. It's possible the fan blade cracked off and went straight back into the compressor bringing a screeching halt to ~15,000 rpm compressor blades, high speed shaft and turbine. The housings are built to contain the pieces if the compressor or turbine blades fly off.

FAA makes the rules for inspections. FAA is also a cheerleader for aviation. NTSB inspectors found same problem once before and recommended FAA to step up inspections. Airliners parked on the ground are losing money every minute, airlines ask their pal the FAA Chair to ignore NTSB.

Name:  jet-engine-cutaway.png
Views: 289
Size:  23.9 KB

Comments

MumblesBadly: By law, FAA is mandates to *promote* air travel, not hinder it.
    The reason all workers deserve a living wage is because all workers need to be alive. Not very complex.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Jesus fucking Christ Cletus you should be building scooters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Yeah! Makes total sense! Plane travel is sooooo dangerous!

Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    I know the numbers googlesbadly, I don't give a fuck.
    Then you are going to hate the hyperloop if it ever gets built. And by “ever”, I mean...

Watch and see why.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    She just happened to be an executive at Wells Fargo?

Fucking Mossad.

Load Metric
    So you're saying I should start choosing aisle seats?

Load Metric
    US airline industry has run super well in the 2010s. This was the first in-flight-accident fatality in the entire decade for a US airline.

Pretty amazing given the recent prevalence of shit budget airlines codesharing with majors ilke American, Delta, and United.
    There were zero deaths due to commercial plane accidents in 2017, which is pretty good considering not only budget planes but different international standards.

Load Metric
    I have no problem with people who say they're afraid to fly... as long as they acknowledge that their fears are illogical.

Generally the same people who oppose autonomous cars and freak out about one death, while not caring that 1.2 million people a year get murdered by cars.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Plus, that leaves more room in planes for the rest of us.

Load Metric

Comments

jsearles22: very interesting

Daly: .
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Pretty riveting stuff. That female pilot was calm as a motherfucker. She did she a little choked up at the end reporting someone went out

Comments

Tellafriend: Awesome job

Daly: Coldest bitch in the world..... wow
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    I have no problem with people who say they're afraid to fly... as long as they acknowledge that their fears are illogical.

Generally the same people who oppose autonomous cars and freak out about one death, while not caring that 1.2 million people a year get murdered by cars.
    Completely illogical . I think the fear for most stems from having zero control of the situation .

I hate flying but have no choice . Xanax and a few ipas and we could be be going into a full on death spiral and my heart rate would barely increase .

Btw , can we bring lewfather back ? Despite him threatening me personally on many occasions I like him .
    :freelewfather

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    police have indentified the source of the turbine failure

Name:  jewdy.gif
Views: 179
Size:  336.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    "I got 149 souls on board.... one of them Got sucked out the fucking window"

Load Metric
    GooglessBadly is HOF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    To those who fear a nose dive death via aircraft, realize that you pretty much have to be shot out of the air
    to experience such a fate.

The odds against such a death are astronomical.

Even if you're done in a minute or two compare that with a long term illness/mental deterioration
    just hanging on to a non-life.

You will die, what are you afraid of?

Load Metric
    Name:  13A48CF1-493B-469E-B32C-158A74C1C546.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  85.4 KB

Tammie Jo Shults, who calmly landed Southwest Flight 1380, broke barriers as a fighter pilot
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...418-story.html

Thread Information