Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basically your worst flying nightmare came true today

Load Metric

Basically your worst flying nightmare came true today

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...480008613.html

An engine exploded about 20 minutes after leaving Laguardia airport, spraying the cabin with shrapnel and compromising a window, through which a woman was partially sucked before passengers could grab her and pull her back in.

The interior of the cabin was described as covered in blood and ash.

Absolutely no mention so far of what could cause a jet engine to detonate violently in midflight but the only two things that really come to mind is a weaponized drone getting flown into it or of course a missile, because my understanding is that you can basically toss a bowling ball into one of these things without it literally exploding.

Obviously it's unlikely we will ever really know what happened but goddamned.....
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    worst camera angle ever

no wonder they make those windows so small

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...480008613.html

Absolutely no mention so far of what could cause a jet engine to detonate violently in midflight but the only two things that really come to mind is a weaponized drone getting flown into it or of course a missile, because my understanding is that you can basically toss a bowling ball into one of these things without it literally exploding.
    https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/1...ing-in-philly/

John Goglia, a former NTSB member, said investigators will take the Southwest engine apart to understand what happened and will look at maintenance records for the engine.

“There’s a ring around the engine that’s meant to contain the engine pieces when this happens,” Goglia said. “In this case it didn’t. That’s going to be a big focal point for the NTSB — why didn’t (the ring) do its job?”

Goglia said the Boeing 737 is a safe plane but engine failures occur from time to time.

“We’re pushing the engines to produce as much power as possible,” he said. “We’re right on the edge. Sometimes they fail, and that’s why the containment ring is there.”

The engine failure was reminiscent of a similar event on a Southwest Boeing 737-700 jet in August 2016 as it flew from New Orleans to Orlando, Florida. Shrapnel from the engine left a 5-by-16-inch hole just above the wing. Passenger oxygen masks dropped from the ceiling. Pilots landed the plane safely in Pensacola, Florida.

NTSB investigators said one of the engine’s fan blades broke off from the hub during the flight. The broken edge of the blade showed crack lines consistent with metal fatigue.

Comments

sonatine:
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    worst camera angle ever

no wonder they make those windows so small

Name:  bc-us-southwest-airlines-emergency-landing-the-latest-img-jpg2.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  163.6 KB
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually my worst flying nightmare is the plane just fails midair, and the whole thing comes barreling down to earth in a fashion where you know you're experiencing your last few minutes alive before it all ends in a fiery crash.

The people on this plane are pretty lucky that an engine explosion only resulted in what it did (though the shrapnel thing was running pretty bad, and I can only imagine how that woman felt when being partially sucked out of a window).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Actually my worst flying nightmare is the plane just fails midair, and the whole thing comes barreling down to earth in a fashion where you know you're experiencing your last few minutes alive before it all ends in a fiery crash.

The people on this plane are pretty lucky that an engine explosion only resulted in what it did (though the shrapnel thing was running pretty bad, and I can only imagine how that woman felt when being partially sucked out of a window).

By the by, someone died and right now the assumption is that it was her.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    worst nightmare? do you work for yahoo now?

worst would be the movie where the soccer players were sucked out of the airplane attached to their seats
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    I'm glad I saw this comforting news story two days before I'm set to get on a plane.

I guess the plus side is that it's unlikely to happen again in such quick succession...right?

Load Metric
    literally, this is why I've never step foot on a plane, and probably never will

Load Metric
    About 15 years ago I was on an America flight to Puerto Rico, we lost an engine about 1 hour away. You could have heard a pin drop that remaining hour. It was uneventful in the landing, but you are not thinking that when you are spending an hour looking at blue water 35,000 feet in the air with one engine.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Step up your flying nightmare game Sonatine. She only got rocked by exploding engine parts and then dangled for a while with enough time to imagine that jet fuel plus exploding engines don't mix well before she died. Fuckin pussy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    Yeah! Makes total sense! Plane travel is sooooo dangerous!

Name:  499BA283-F59A-439C-A5AD-423816ECCFEB.png
Views: 882
Size:  136.4 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    Yeah! Makes total sense! Plane travel is sooooo dangerous!

Name:  499BA283-F59A-439C-A5AD-423816ECCFEB.png
Views: 882
Size:  136.4 KB
    I know the numbers googlesbadly, I don't give a fuck.

Load Metric
    Hopefully this was at least the annoying person in the family that just haaaaaaaaaaad to sit by the window.

Bars over the windows like you live on the Rez or just no windows coming to an airline near you.

When you check flights and there is that psychopath flying alone that chose the middle seat in a row of 3 it might make a little more sense now. No drink cart knee dings and no getting sucked out of the window.

I had nightmares for years back in the day when they had that made for TV movie that I'm pretty sure was based on a true story where like half the plane's top ripped off on the way to Hawaii and people were flying out to their deaths.

Comments

sah_24: She was banker scum so close enough ...
    Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 04-17-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Hopefully this was at least the annoying person in the family that just haaaaaaaaaaad to sit by the window.

Bars over the windows like you live on the Rez or just no windows coming to an airline near you.

When you check flights and there is that psychopath flying alone that chose the middle seat in a row of 3 it might make a little more sense now. No drink cart knee dings and no getting sucked out of the window.

I had nightmares for years back in the day when they had that made for TV movie that I'm pretty sure was based on a true story where like half the plane's top ripped off on the way to Hawaii and people were flying out to their deaths.
    It's a true story. Inter island flight, top down, 79 degrees, what a way to go.

Did this recent fatality have her seat belt on? Shade drawn? Non American? (weight issues)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    US airline industry has run super well in the 2010s. This was the first in-flight-accident fatality in the entire decade for a US airline.

Pretty amazing given the recent prevalence of shit budget airlines codesharing with majors ilke American, Delta, and United.

Load Metric
    The Baroness brings up a good point believe it or not. Are the days of being free to move about the cabin over? If you want to piss will a stewardess have to strap you in to some contraption and wheel you down the aisle? They love to overreact. For fucks sake even some posters in this thread are more scared to fly because of this lmao.

Load Metric
    Looked at some pics and I think the only part of the turbine that failed is the cowls. The inlet cowl tore loose and flew away damaging the right cowl and removing the left cowl entirely. Pilot reported a fire in left engine. He or a control system possibly shut down the engine immediately after the noise and vibration began. Or a piece of the cowl made it past the fan and into the axial flow compressor. Never was a fire.

The dead had the extreme bad luck of a small piece of cowling flying over the wing and breaking her window. If she actually partially went through the window, her head was certainly outside. It's impossible to breathe in 400 mph wind. Opening your mouth creates a venturi effect, lungs empty, and ya asphyxiate. Zero blood on her seat or window frame.

what do ya'll think.

Name:  turbine1.JPG
Views: 469
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  turbine3.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  turbine2.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  turbine01.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  turbine6.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  turbine7.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  turbine8.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  64.4 KB

Comments

Mintjewlips: Yes..cowls everywhere......we get it
    The reason all workers deserve a living wage is because all workers need to be alive. Not very complex.

Load Metric
    From CNN

She hung out the hole for many minutes, said Hollie Mackey, who sat next to the victim, and Amy Serafini, who was in the row behind the woman.
    Many passengers kept trying to pull the woman back into the plane for a long time, until two men were able to get the woman back in her seat, they said.
    The injured woman's arms and body were sucked toward the opening in the plane, Martinez recalled in a phone interview. Objects flew out the hole where the window had been, and "passengers right next to her were holding onto her. And meanwhile, there was blood all over this man's hands. He was tending to her," said Martinez, who was sitting a row or two away from the woman.
    Other passengers began trying to plug the hole with jackets and other objects but to no avail. Those items, too, were sucked out of the plane, he said.
    "As the plane is going down, I am literally purchasing internet just so I can get some kind of communication to the outside world," he said.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/17/us/ph...ing/index.html

I'm guessing it was her entire left arm up to her neck with the side of her face mashed into the wall above the window.

Would be epic video if someone would of recorded random things getting sucked out the window.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cleatus View Post
    Looked at some pics and I think the only part of the turbine that failed is the cowls. The inlet cowl tore loose and flew away damaging the right cowl and removing the left cowl entirely. Pilot reported a fire in left engine. He or a control system possibly shut down the engine immediately after the noise and vibration began. Or a piece of the cowl made it past the fan and into the axial flow compressor. Never was a fire.

The dead had the extreme bad luck of a small piece of cowling flying over the wing and breaking her window. If she actually partially went through the window, her head was certainly outside. It's impossible to breathe in 400 mph wind. Opening your mouth creates a venturi effect, lungs empty, and ya asphyxiate. Zero blood on her seat or window frame.

what do ya'll think.

I like Simon Cowl. He's bossy and a grump sometimes but underneath it all he has a kind heart.

Thread Information