Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Meet the guy you値l see in the front row at Coachella 2018

Load Metric
    BUMP

Did Master Scalir go to Coachella this year?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by David USF View Post
    BUMP

Yes. And he got trampled on Saturday. He called me to tell me that this occurred, and despite being stomped on by a lot of people trying to get to stages quickly, he somehow didn't feel much pain or have any apparent injuries.

He was worried that he was just "in shock" and that he was actually injured badly, and just didn't know it yet. I told him that if he could walk around normally, it couldn't be that bad, though pain might set in within 6 hours or so. He didn't call me back, so I assume he is okay.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David USF View Post
    BUMP

Yes. And he got trampled on Saturday. He called me to tell me that this occurred, and despite being stomped on by a lot of people trying to get to stages quickly, he somehow didn't feel much pain or have any apparent injuries.

He was worried that he was just "in shock" and that he was actually injured badly, and just didn't know it yet. I told him that if he could walk around normally, it couldn't be that bad, though pain might set in within 6 hours or so. He didn't call me back, so I assume he is okay.
    I am firmly old because I legit don’t know who 95% of these acts are. But Ken is basically my age. Does he actually follow these bands? Like Korean K pop bands? Bolded are the acts I actually know. And by know I mean I have heard of, not a fan of.

You’d have to pay me to attend if this was around the corner. And I’m talking low 5 figures to deal with these kids. I might tip one of those Korean K pop girls a $20 if they were swinging around a pole and promised not to sing. Do those here who are 30-somethings even know these acts?

Bad Bunny, BLACKPINK and Frank Ocean

Other artists included are Icelandic star Bjork, Spain’s Rosalia, Nigeria’s Burna Boy and British-Indian singer Jai Paul.

Calvin Harris, Kaytranada, Porter Robinson, Yaeji and vets Chemical Brothers, Underworld and Sasha & John Digweed will also be there.

Alt acts are Gorillaz, Wet Leg, Boygenius (featuring Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker), Charli XCX, Remi Wolf, Ethel Cain, Christine and the Queens, Weyes Blood, Muna, Snail Mail, Sudan Archives and veterans Blondie and the Breeders.
    Last edited by BCR; 04-18-2023 at 02:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't know most of these bands, either.

I saw Gorillaz was on the list. That's a strange band to have performing live, as they gained fame in the 2000s as a literal band of cartoon characters. This song was one of their bigger hits:

Then I started hearing they were performing live, which seemed weird to me because that kinda ruins their whole gimmick, but I guess they've made it work.

On Interpoker in the 2000s, there was a high stakes limit holdem regular who went by "Gorill@z". He was clearly an LA area Commerce player, but wouldn't say who he was. We figured out there was a decent chance he was a youngish skinny dude named Mike, but that was just a guess. Gorill@z did go quiet in the chat when we suggested he was Mike, almost as if he was shocked that we guessed it right.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Master Scalir is more into the older alternative music -- I'd say from the 1980s to the 2000s. He likes some newer stuff, but a lot of it he's not into. He's not at all into anything at Coachella which is along the lines rap, hip-hop, or metal. They have so many acts going at once that he's never starved for bands that he likes, and in fact that's why he goes both weekends and each one is different for him.

He doesn't have a credit card, and therefore cannot purchase tickets. Every year we do the same dance, where I buy the tickets for him, wait the obligatory 10 or so months until they actually ship (nice racket there for owner Goldenvoice/AEG, huh?), and then meet him a short time beforehand to hand them over to him. I also have to activate them for him, because he doesn't have a phone capable of doing that. He pays me back over time for the tickets.

Goldenvoice/AEG must think I'm a loyal fan, given how I reliably purchase two tickets each year for the festival. Funny how I've never actually gone.

They are getting increasingly shady with their ticketing. This year they had an obnoxious tiered pricing system, where if you're not fortunate enough to luck into "tier 1" on the "presale" day, they raise the price throughout the day. By the end of the day, you're paying a lot more, even if you tried in earnest to get the cheap tickets at the moment the sale went on. That's against the whole concept of a presale, where they're rewarding people with interest. To charge a $150 premium on presale day for those who didn't luck into the better spots is just really sleazy.

Arguably more sleazy is their layaway process. They allow people who can't afford the full payment to split it up into multiple parts over the months following the presale, and they charge a reasonable premium to do so. Sounds nice, right? Except they count on people defaulting on these tickets, and if you miss even one payment, they yank it away from you with no refund, and then resell the ticket for full price to someone else. They don't even cover up that they do this. When some additional tickets go on sale months after "sellout", they explain that these were tickets where people defaulted on layaway. So basically they're selling these tickets twice. Shitty. At the very least they should return the money to the defaulters, minus some penalty. Instead, they keep it all. So they basically screw poor people who can't afford to get screwed.

Thread Information