Thread: Hiking, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead?

Bronze
    Load Metric

Hiking, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead?

Wife and I are in Vegas every few months and every time she asks me to take her hiking or to see Hoover Dam or do something that doesn't involve drinking/gambling/eating.

Flying in Friday and determined to take her somewhere if I can get motivated.

Can any locals recommend a hiking trail? Is Hoover Dam / Lake Mead worth renting a convertible and checking out one afternoon?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    Wife and I are in Vegas every few months and every time she asks me to take her hiking or to see Hoover Dam or do something that doesn't involve drinking/gambling/eating.

Flying in Friday and determined to take her somewhere if I can get motivated.

Can any locals recommend a hiking trail? Is Hoover Dam / Lake Mead worth renting a convertible and checking out one afternoon?

Yes and Yes : My suggestion would be rent a convertible and go see Hoover Dam. It is worth seeing one time. Also if you are looking for an easy hike and great scenery try Red Rock Canyon . Good to get away from Vegas for a day and always good to please the little lady.

Have Fun
    Gookie

Comments

simply1: Thanks

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Friday should be very nice weather for hiking (77 degree high), but by Sunday it's already back up to 90 degrees.

I deal with the same challenges as you regarding Vegas (when not alone), since my girlfriend does not gamble. We have the additional challenge in that Benjamin is usually with us.

Here are some places in the area you might want to check out. Note that, aside from Mt. Charleston, you should avoid this stuff in the summer:

- Mt. Charleston: Worth a drive around the area. There are some hikes you can take, but you'll need to research them on the web beforehand. There's a fairly scenic drive between the town of Mt. Charleston and the ski resort. There are areas you can play in the snow in the winter, but make sure beforehand there actually is snow! Typically about 30 degrees cooler than the Vegas strip.

- Red Rock: Not too far, and it's a smaller version of a lot of the red-rock-themed National Parks of Utah. There are some hiking trails here too, but for the most part I found it's best to just stop, look at the sight, and move on. There's one which requires a short hike to see anything, but extended hiking isn't going to show you much more.

- Valley of Fire: This is like an hour away by car, traveling north of Vegas on the 15. It's a better and more interesting version of Red Rock, and it's also bigger with more to see. I would allocate most of the day for this one. Make sure NOT to go here in the summer, or you will be sorry.

- Hoover Dam: Interesting to see, but once you've seen it, you'll want to turn around and go back, unless you want to combine it with a trip to nearby Lake Mead. I haven't taken the tour, but I hear it's interesting. You will also be on the exact border of Nevada and Arizona, and in fact can stand in two states at once.

- Lake Mead: You can rent a boat there and drive it around. You can even get fairly close to Hoover Dam from the bottom (but don't get too close, because you'll be breaking federal law!) Best weather to do this is like 80-85 degrees, as the breeze of the fast moving boat won't make you cold, but it also won't be too hot.

Vegas-style museums:

- Pinball Museum: Working pinball and arcade games from the 1950s through 1980s. Fun if your wife is into that sort of thing.

- Mob Museum: Haven't been there, but heard it's interesting.

- Neon Museum: Haven't been there either, but it's unique. Basically they've preserved old signs of defunct Vegas hotels, and even rebuilt a few. You have to take a tour to see it. I would suggest going at night, and booking in advance, if you want to go.

Comments

simply1: Thanks

IamGreek: Good to know rep

Load Metric
    If you go to Hoover Dam, consider taking the time to do the tour if they still run them. Very interesting to see the inside, as well as the view from the bottom outside looking up. Just don’t do it if anyone in your party is claustrophobic.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information