Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever had a new house built?

Platinum
    Load Metric

Has anyone ever had a new house built?

So I am looking for a house right now, something that will be gutted and renovated even if I buy on the secondary market. I am a contractor, can do most of the stuff except the major plumbing and electrical myself so that is why I am going this route. I have been wanting to get back into real estate for a while and the next year or so is looking good for that.

Building a new house never really entered my mind until recently, but it is starting to look like an option. Land prices have dropped right along with the house prices, and I can get a decent spot in a desirable location for not much at all.

My main question is that I know it is a severe pain in the ass to start from scratch, but if I am going to be gutting and renovating an old house why not just have a builder build the structure and then I can finish it? That is where all the money is spent, finishes and all the detail work that goes into making it sell ready. I can do all that shit, basically all I would need for the architect to draw up the plans and the builder to frame it up and pour the foundation (I could that too if they would let me, don't know the laws on that yet).

So anyway anyone have experiences with the process? Would you do it again? Was it worth it?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    So I am looking for a house right now, something that will be gutted and renovated even if I buy on the secondary market. I am a contractor, can do most of the stuff except the major plumbing and electrical myself so that is why I am going this route. I have been wanting to get back into real estate for a while and the next year or so is looking good for that.

Building a new house never really entered my mind until recently, but it is starting to look like an option. Land prices have dropped right along with the house prices, and I can get a decent spot in a desirable location for not much at all.

My main question is that I know it is a severe pain in the ass to start from scratch, but if I am going to be gutting and renovating an old house why not just have a builder build the structure and then I can finish it? That is where all the money is spent, finishes and all the detail work that goes into making it sell ready. I can do all that shit, basically all I would need for the architect to draw up the plans and the builder to frame it up and pour the foundation (I could that too if they would let me, don't know the laws on that yet).

So anyway anyone have experiences with the process? Would you do it again? Was it worth it?
    Yes it is a huge pain in the ass especially in Southern California because City Council has to approve everything. Shattered my dreams of rebuilding a house in Laguna Beach

Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy Collins View Post

Yes it is a huge pain in the ass especially in Southern California because City Council has to approve everything. Shattered my dreams of rebuilding a house in Laguna Beach

I can deal with a pain in the ass if it means more money in my bank account at the end.

I live far far away from the Cali as well so I won't have to deal with those lunatics out there.

Been reading up since I posted crunching numbers, and in my situation this is looking very profitable in the long run. Hell it seems like it is profitable for people who get them built to finish much less a bare bones structure that I would need.

Lots of great standard designs out there, no real need for a high priced architect you can just but the plans for a minimal cost done deal. I am amazed this option hasn't dawned on me before, I always have the mindset to never buy anything new so maybe that is why.

Load Metric
    I acted as the general contractor when I built my house in 2000. Framing the house was the easiest part IMO so, if you are a contractor, I don't understand why you wouldn't do this part yourself. I'm lucky that I have 3 BIL's that are journeyman carpenters & I have a background in construction. I did almost everything myself with some guidance & help from them.
    The only parts of the construction I contracted out other than the electrical & plumbing were the pouring of the basement floor(I did all the prep work), the flooring & drywall and taping. I've since ripped out all the flooring(within the last 3 months)& replaced it with ceramic tile(I contracted this part out since I didn't have time to learn how although I did all the prep work)& hardwood which I did myself. This was done because of allergies.
    I've since drywalled & taped the basement so if I was ever built again I would do this myself. I also did a bunch of electrical & plumbing in the basement myself & found it to be not as hard & scary as you would think but would never do a whole house.
    2 things I would change if I could go back would be the basement walls & the hot water system.
    I went with a wood framed basement(which I'm happy with)but would go with a styrofoam block, concrete filled system nowadays. It was a big unknown back then & when I was researching it there seemed to be too many fly by nighters & not enough intelligent reviews to choose wisely. Another reason I went with the wood was I knew I could frame this myself & thought I would have to contract out the whole foundation if I went the other way. I've since seen how the styrofoam systems work firsthand & they are pretty simple so now I would not be afraid to tackle this.
    As for the hot water system, I had a larger than normal hot water(50 gallon rather than 40)tank installed because I lived with 3 women(my wife & 2 teenaged daughters)but should have went with the on demand hot water system. I went this way because the cost was significantly higher for the on demand system & was not that common back then. They've now got the bugs worked out & I know many people who have gone with it & love it. Another plus for this system is you can now use it to run under slab heating if you so desire. I would definitely research this some more if I was to build again but it sounds like a very cool option to go with.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    I always wanted to build my own house from scratch because it escapes me why they don't build houses with all master bedrooms. No one wants a small crappy bedroom. I want a place where there are three or four masters, all on separate ends of the structure for ultimate privacy and comfort. Also, I hate small rooms or a lot of walls separating things. Give me a big huge open kitchen that opens into the great room so you can see the big screen and talk to everyone while you cook. Separating the rooms is stupid and makes everything feel cramped. You can achieve an open, spacious, airy feeling with the same amount of square footage just by building/designing smart.

Load Metric
    I also want a man cave - really bad. But I guess that can be added in to an existing home without too much trouble.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    I always wanted to build my own house from scratch because it escapes me why they don't build houses with all master bedrooms. No one wants a small crappy bedroom. I want a place where there are three or four masters, all on separate ends of the structure for ultimate privacy and comfort. Also, I hate small rooms or a lot of walls separating things. Give me a big huge open kitchen that opens into the great room so you can see the big screen and talk to everyone while you cook. Separating the rooms is stupid and makes everything feel cramped. You can achieve an open, spacious, airy feeling with the same amount of square footage just by building/designing smart.
    Sounds like you are a big fan of communes. I've never seen or been in a commune but this would be what I would imagine it to be.
    The reason all rooms aren't master bedroom size is houses are built for families with kids & kids don't need as much room or so the theory goes. We know this isn't true but at least it restricts the amount of space for them to make into an absolute pigsty.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Sounds like you are a big fan of communes. I've never seen or been in a commune but this would be what I would imagine it to be.
    The reason all rooms aren't master bedroom size is houses are built for families with kids & kids don't need as much room or so the theory goes. We know this isn't true but at least it restricts the amount of space for them to make into an absolute pigsty.
    Not a commune in any way. Picture a house with a master bedroom for each member of the family, but located on opposite ends of the house for sound privacy.

As far as kids go, I can tell you that when they hit around 11-12, they have need of just as much space as their parents. They need a desk in their room, all the closet space, their own bathroom, etc. As to whether or not they keep it clean, that's a whole other issue. Having small bedrooms for some of the family just makes them feel like second class citizens, and there is zero reason to build houses that way.

I've seen a few houses with two masters - that's somewhat easier to find, but still pretty rare... and one that a guy rehabbed to have four. It was awesome. No idea why this is not a more common build, other than the expense.

Houses built in the 70's and 80's had much smaller rooms and closets. More recent trends have gone with larger spaces. The larger spaces just feel better. Small rooms with low ceilings feel confining. The tendency to want to squeeze an extra bedroom in by putting up an extra wall to raise the value of the house is stupid imo. I'd rather have that wall taken down and a larger room there.

Load Metric
    i think i would like to have a large multi-floor house built in a giant tree overlooking the ocean one of these days

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I acted as the general contractor when I built my house in 2000. Framing the house was the easiest part IMO so, if you are a contractor, I don't understand why you wouldn't do this part yourself. I'm lucky that I have 3 BIL's that are journeyman carpenters & I have a background in construction. I did almost everything myself with some guidance & help from them.
    The only parts of the construction I contracted out other than the electrical & plumbing were the pouring of the basement floor(I did all the prep work), the flooring & drywall and taping. I've since ripped out all the flooring(within the last 3 months)& replaced it with ceramic tile(I contracted this part out since I didn't have time to learn how although I did all the prep work)& hardwood which I did myself. This was done because of allergies.
    I've since drywalled & taped the basement so if I was ever built again I would do this myself. I also did a bunch of electrical & plumbing in the basement myself & found it to be not as hard & scary as you would think but would never do a whole house.
    2 things I would change if I could go back would be the basement walls & the hot water system.
    I went with a wood framed basement(which I'm happy with)but would go with a styrofoam block, concrete filled system nowadays. It was a big unknown back then & when I was researching it there seemed to be too many fly by nighters & not enough intelligent reviews to choose wisely. Another reason I went with the wood was I knew I could frame this myself & thought I would have to contract out the whole foundation if I went the other way. I've since seen how the styrofoam systems work firsthand & they are pretty simple so now I would not be afraid to tackle this.
    As for the hot water system, I had a larger than normal hot water(50 gallon rather than 40)tank installed because I lived with 3 women(my wife & 2 teenaged daughters)but should have went with the on demand hot water system. I went this way because the cost was significantly higher for the on demand system & was not that common back then. They've now got the bugs worked out & I know many people who have gone with it & love it. Another plus for this system is you can now use it to run under slab heating if you so desire. I would definitely research this some more if I was to build again but it sounds like a very cool option to go with.
    Someone who actually did it.....fucking awesome.

Did you need to be licensed to do any of this work yourself?? Can you just name yourself the GC and that is it? That is the one thing I can't find online after hours of looking. In my state (MD) you need a license to do home improvement,but new home builders require something different. Still can't find out any requirements or details, it is like they are hiding it.

Can you go a little more into detail about that or was it pretty simple?

I would think that you have to have home inspections for every part of the process, so as long as the work is up to code and passes why would it matter if you were licensed or not? You are also going to be living in the home, not selling it to anyone so that should be a liability factor as well in your favor.

Thanks for the great response, it looks like you were in the exact situation I am in now.

Load Metric
    Not a commune in any way. Picture a house with a master bedroom for each member of the family, but located on opposite ends of the house for sound privacy.

As far as kids go, I can tell you that when they hit around 11-12, they have need of just as much space as their parents. They need a desk in their room, all the closet space, their own bathroom, etc. As to whether or not they keep it clean, that's a whole other issue. Having small bedrooms for some of the family just makes them feel like second class citizens, and there is zero reason to build houses that way.

I've seen a few houses with two masters - that's somewhat easier to find, but still pretty rare... and one that a guy rehabbed to have four. It was awesome. No idea why this is not a more common build, other than the expense.

Houses built in the 70's and 80's had much smaller rooms and closets. More recent trends have gone with larger spaces. The larger spaces just feel better. Small rooms with low ceilings feel confining. The tendency to want to squeeze an extra bedroom in by putting up an extra wall to raise the value of the house is stupid imo. I'd rather have that wall taken down and a larger room there.
    I agree with all of this. What i said was by your original description, the first thing that pops into my head is communal living. Doesn't mean it's accurate. From your description I just see four hippie couples each with a master bedroom in each corner of the house with a central living area like a commune. I may have seen this in a TV show back in the day.
    As for kids needing less room, I did say this wasn't true. It may have been somewhat true in the 70's, as you pointed out, but is definitely not true anymore.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by XteraveX View Post
    i think i would like to have a large multi-floor house built in a giant tree overlooking the ocean one of these days
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Load Metric
    Someone who actually did it.....fucking awesome.

Did you need to be licensed to do any of this work yourself?? Can you just name yourself the GC and that is it? That is the one thing I can't find online after hours of looking. In my state (MD) you need a license to do home improvement,but new home builders require something different. Still can't find out any requirements or details, it is like they are hiding it.

Can you go a little more into detail about that or was it pretty simple?

I would think that you have to have home inspections for every part of the process, so as long as the work is up to code and passes why would it matter if you were licensed or not? You are also going to be living in the home, not selling it to anyone so that should be a liability factor as well in your favor.

Thanks for the great response, it looks like you were in the exact situation I am in now.
    I'm from Canada so I have no idea of American laws. It's actually quite common for the homeowner to be the general where I live. Being the general means you are the one doing all the arranging for the trades so if you arrange for yourself to do some of the work it makes no difference as long as the work is done right. If you are a contractor who is capable of doing the finishing & it's for yourself, I don't see this as being a problem. Of course Maryland laws may say otherwise.
    Obviously there are inspections every step of the way especially if there is a bank loan involved since it has to be inspected to the banks' satisfaction before releasing money at certain intervals during construction. If you do it yourself IMO you want a good inspector to help identify potential problems while they can still be fixed fairly easily in the construction phase. Unlike construction companies who want to cut corners & increase profit & therefore don't want the inspector to see the cuts, you want these inspectors to see everything & be open & honest with them. As for the liability factor, I don't think this should even come into play. It's either right or it's not. You might be selling the house one day whether you plan to or not.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric

I can deal with a pain in the ass if it means more money in my bank account at the end.

I live far far away from the Cali as well so I won't have to deal with those lunatics out there.

Been reading up since I posted crunching numbers, and in my situation this is looking very profitable in the long run. Hell it seems like it is profitable for people who get them built to finish much less a bare bones structure that I would need.

Lots of great standard designs out there, no real need for a high priced architect you can just but the plans for a minimal cost done deal. I am amazed this option hasn't dawned on me before, I always have the mindset to never buy anything new so maybe that is why.

I am guessing you also don't have "Homeowners Associations" which are an outright scam with a bunch of narcissists jerking each other off.
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I am guessing you also don't have "Homeowners Associations" which are an outright scam with a bunch of narcissists jerking each other off.
    Homeowners associations are only around in new construction for the most part in this neck of the woods, and while we do have a lot of that most of the houses/lots are in neighborhoods that have been around for almost a 100 years.

Fuck them, and I would never move into one of those new cookie cutter shit neighborhoods as long as I live.

Load Metric

Cool

Homeowners associations are only around in new construction for the most part in this neck of the woods, and while we do have a lot of that most of the houses/lots are in neighborhoods that have been around for almost a 100 years.

Fuck them, and I would never move into one of those new cookie cutter shit neighborhoods as long as I live.

I hear you there. I saw some really cool houses that were between 100-150 years old in upstate New York. And I will admit that those houses have alot more personality than the ones over here. But I love the weather and beaches here

Bronze
    Load Metric

yes. beachhouse replacing destroyed one from Hurrican Ike.

the reason why you dont do it yourself is the utter mess of coordinating different groups lof lazy ass contractors...the sheetrock guy can work until the blah blah carpet guy cant put down carpet until concrete is level the plumber cant do this until the tile guy. It is so fucking utterly exhausting. Thats why the GC gets 20% over the top on both materials and labor....to coordinate shit. I dont know about you but you basically have no life trying to be your own GC plus you will definiitely suck at it on your own home......even if you are a GC in real life.

Bottom line, gC is the best investment of all time for your sanity. Contractors just dont gice a shit enough to do the job right unless sdome GC is holding future jobs over their head. The individual trdes just dont make enough money off one deal to be worth uit...thats why choosing the correct GC is so imoportant.

The GC has leverage to get your shit done right and in a timely manner that you simply don't have.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I hate HOAs with a passion. They are a pseudo-government, with all the corruption and waste that comes with any government body.

There's also Druff's Principle of Government Corruption, which states that the smaller (that is, in representation) the government is, the more corrupt and wasteful it will be. (The reason is because there's less oversight and/or people that care about it.) This makes HOAs even MORE corrupt and wasteful than typical government bodies.

Load Metric
    I acted as GC for my own house - a log home. Had zero experience and before the Internet so everything learned was from magazines. Been in the house 20 years now - no problems. You don't need any licenses or anything. All you need is proper plans (and lots of copies for each of the subs) and cash. No cash, nothing gets done. City has to do several inspections along the way, but they actually help you to make sure the subs have done the work right - especially electrical and plumbing, heating system (Canada).

I bought plans out of a catalog. I got the materials estimated at a lumber store. I got estimates from all the subs. I pretty much knew within 10% what everything was going to cost. Not one asked for more money and I didn't ask for any changes. I knew what I wanted, they did it. I paid.

I did all the finish electrical, and finish carpentry. Subs did the rest. It takes about 10 subs - but one will refer you to the next, and others will just cold call you for the business once they see your project happening. Get local subs. The market makes sure that there is an adequate supply. Don't be too nit picky. Try to go with the flow. Much easier to have a longer term relationship with local subs so when the plumbing needs repairs, you call the same guy you used when you built the house and he comes back no problem.

Only regret was not planning / budgetting for outside landscaping. The thing is, while you are in contruction mode you want to do everything you possibly can afford. I just never thought about having to landscape. Never crossed my mind. Paved driveway as well.

No regrets - would do again.

GL.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GAMBLE-BOT View Post

yes. beachhouse replacing destroyed one from Hurrican Ike.

the reason why you dont do it yourself is the utter mess of coordinating different groups lof lazy ass contractors...the sheetrock guy can work until the blah blah carpet guy cant put down carpet until concrete is level the plumber cant do this until the tile guy. It is so fucking utterly exhausting. Thats why the GC gets 20% over the top on both materials and labor....to coordinate shit. I dont know about you but you basically have no life trying to be your own GC plus you will definiitely suck at it on your own home......even if you are a GC in real life.

Bottom line, gC is the best investment of all time for your sanity. Contractors just dont gice a shit enough to do the job right unless sdome GC is holding future jobs over their head. The individual trdes just dont make enough money off one deal to be worth uit...thats why choosing the correct GC is so imoportant.

The GC has leverage to get your shit done right and in a timely manner that you simply don't have.
    Why the fuck would I pay GC 20% to make a bunch of phone calls and set shit up, shit that I already have people for....being a contractor?

I have people in every trade that are friends of mine, I will be doing most of the work myself anyway.

Thread Information