Thread: Royals sign autistic baseball player

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Royals sign autistic baseball player

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...tarik-el-abour

Tarik El-Abour has been diagnosed with autism, and is being hailed as the first autistic professional baseball player.

I don't think that's accurate. I'm sure there were lots of autistic baseball players in the past, but it just wasn't diagnosed.

I always suspected Zack Greinke has some form of autism.

It's also not difficult to imagine autistic players succeeding at baseball (especially pitchers), because the physical and mental aspects of the game are not likely to be hindered by typical autism symptoms.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

i think you're confusing autism with mental illness. can;t really blame you, we did this as a nation as whole around the turn of the century well into the 50's
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    There was a player with the KC Royals that had that disease where they twitch in public and shout out vulgarities. He controlled it with medication and stuck around for a few years. That was in the 90s.

The real question is if someone is going to sign that Oregon State pitcher. That would be toxic but it might happen since he has first round talent.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i really thought we were going to hear more about curtis pride in here. that would make a great movie imo.

people easily confuse deaf, autism and mental illness
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Draymond View Post
    There was a player with the KC Royals that had that disease where they twitch in public and shout out vulgarities. He controlled it with medication and stuck around for a few years. That was in the 90s.

The real question is if someone is going to sign that Oregon State pitcher. That would be toxic but it might happen since he has first round talent.
    I think you're talking about Jim Eisenreich.

He had Tourette's.

When he was with the Phillies, he KILLED the Dodgers. Absolutely destroyed them.

The Dodgers then got him as a throw-in during that infamous (and terrible) Piazza trade in 1998, and he sucked with them. He retired after that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Draymond View Post

He had Tourette's.

When he was with the Phillies, he KILLED the Dodgers. Absolutely destroyed them.

The Dodgers then got him as a throw-in during that infamous (and terrible) Piazza trade in 1998, and he sucked with them. He retired after that.

jimmy was good hitter from what i remember and not looking back at his numbers. always seemed above avg 280/300 type

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post

He had Tourette's.

jimmy was good hitter from what i remember and not looking back at his numbers. always seemed above avg 280/300 type
    He was a good contact hitter. Never had much power (52 career HR).

Load Metric
    It's also not difficult to imagine autistic players succeeding at baseball (especially pitchers), because the physical and mental aspects of the game are not likely to be hindered by typical autism symptoms.
    Does it hinder the ability to operate a forum?

Comments

The_Lurker: had to be asked

Load Metric
    I don't think that's accurate. I'm sure there were lots of autistic baseball players in the past, but it just wasn't diagnosed.

I literally came in here just to make this exact post.

It's been my experience that virtually anyone exceptional at anything is usually on the spectrum to some extent.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

I literally came in here just to make this exact post.

It's been my experience that virtually anyone exceptional at anything is usually on the spectrum to some extent.
    I agree. We are usually admiring the work of someone with some degree of Aspergers.

I am a technical guy by training. I wanted to be exceptional and thought I had a shot when I was young. I determined later that was more ego than skillz

The people who have Aspergers often do very well in our specialized assembly-line society because they are gifted at one thing.

I have worked with guys who admitted to it.

Unfortunately, many Asperger’s sufferers have no close relationships despite being well compensated and well regarded as experts in their field.

Much of life is measured by how well we relate to other people. Early on, I would dismiss bosses & managers as boobs. They weren’t technically elite. What I failed to appreciate was that they mastered networking, relationships and leadership (charisma). Those guys would detect I wasn’t loyal and pretty soon I was doomed.

The one thing Aspies lack universally is charisma. I developed the term “tool user” after a while. The Aspie with exceptional skill is an exceptional tool user.

Ask the question: Are you a tool user? Are you happy as one?

The tool users are managed and hired by the relationship/charismatic guys. This may not be a newsflash for more well rounded folks here but this actually was a revelation to me. I’m prolly on the spectrum. I sure hate most people and the whole relationship deal. But I don’t just play the game now - I live it and practice it in my business. I governs who I hire and for which position.

Zack Greinke will never manage a baseball team. Well, maybe the the nerd trust Dodgers

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    This guy likely isn't the first autist in pro baseball. I think the big deal here is that he is the first to have autism caused by vaccines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Thread Information