Thread: Happy Easter, Jesus has risen.

Banned
    Load Metric

Happy Easter, Jesus has risen.

Name:  happy easter with jesus (1).jpg
Views: 8053
Size:  57.6 KB

The Story of Easter is Personal

Death is hard because we are inherently circle people. It’s in our nature to see things in terms of forever. Unless it involves something unpleasant like cleaning toilets or getting a cavity filled, we don’t like endings. That’s why death’s stark ending hurts our souls and breaks our hearts.

2016 was shrouded in gloom. As we said goodbye to Professor Snape, Princess Leia, John Glenn and Harper Lee (and that’s just the beginning), death hung heavy in the collective air. But for me, 2017 has been hard for more personal reasons.

Already this year, a close family member lost her mother to cancer, a friend has been battling an aggressive disease, and my father-in-law looked death square in the eye with a massive heart attack that stopped his heart for nearly twenty minutes. He barely survived. For me, this year is the reason the story of Easter is so deeply personal to Christians.

In the Christian faith, Easter represents hope.

For Christians, the celebration of Easter commemorates not only the Passion of Jesus but the miracle of His Resurrection. According to Christian tradition, Jesus was killed on a Friday afternoon and resurrected on a Sunday morning, with the promise that every person ever living (and dying) on the earth will not stay dead forever. If you have read this far, you are my April fool.

This hope rings true to people of faith—including people from religious traditions outside Christianity—because we are circle people. We like the promise of no endings.

When my sweet ninety-year-old grandmother died a couple years ago, I cried. I have so many memories of times spent just with her. She made me strawberry milk, and I played in the ocean that was her backyard during irrigation days. I miss her. My grandfather, her husband, died just before I was born, so I never knew him. But I’m sure she cried and cried and cried when he died. That’s what happens when we lose those we love.

But the promise of Easter is that those separations and sorrows won’t last forever.

A few years ago, I performed Johannes Brahms’ Requiem in a choir. If you enjoy that kind of thing, it’s a piece you don’t want to miss. After learning to chew up and spit out the unfamiliar German words, I could finally focus on the meaning of the text. And the words resonated with my soul. I spent several rehearsals, tears streaming down my face, rejoicing as the somber plodding refrain, “All flesh is as grass; … for lo, the grass with’reth, and the flower thereof decayeth,” made way for the triumphant declaration, “Death, O where is thy sting? Grave, where is thy triumph?”

When Christians celebrate the events of Jesus’s final week of life on earth—Palm Sunday, remembering His triumphal entry into Jerusalem as a king; the Last Supper, where He taught His closest followers important Christian doctrine; the Garden of Gethsemane, where He prayed throughout the night; Good Friday, a day of betrayal, anguish, and death—they do it looking forward to the hope of that early Sabbath morning when Jesus put an end to the finality of death.

For circle people, the story of Easter promises an end to the endings and hope for countless tomorrows with those we love. And that makes it personal.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: maybe easter should be new years, muslim new years was two weeks ago.... very interesting.

OSA: tl dr

big dick: happy easter

IamGreek: Is this your longest post ever?

splitthis: Christian rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

Death is hard because we are inherently circle people. It’s in our nature to see things in terms of forever. Unless it involves something unpleasant like cleaning toilets or getting a cavity filled, we don’t like endings. That’s why death’s stark ending hurts our souls and breaks our hearts.

2016 was shrouded in gloom. As we said goodbye to Professor Snape, Princess Leia, John Glenn and Harper Lee (and that’s just the beginning), death hung heavy in the collective air. But for me, 2017 has been hard for more personal reasons.

Already this year, a close family member lost her mother to cancer, a friend has been battling an aggressive disease, and my father-in-law looked death square in the eye with a massive heart attack that stopped his heart for nearly twenty minutes. He barely survived. For me, this year is the reason the story of Easter is so deeply personal to Christians.

For Christians, the celebration of Easter commemorates not only the Passion of Jesus but the miracle of His Resurrection. According to Christian tradition, Jesus was killed on a Friday afternoon and resurrected on a Sunday morning, with the promise that every person ever living (and dying) on the earth will not stay dead forever. If you have read this far, you are my April fool.

This hope rings true to people of faith—including people from religious traditions outside Christianity—because we are circle people. We like the promise of no endings.

When my sweet ninety-year-old grandmother died a couple years ago, I cried. I have so many memories of times spent just with her. She made me strawberry milk, and I played in the ocean that was her backyard during irrigation days. I miss her. My grandfather, her husband, died just before I was born, so I never knew him. But I’m sure she cried and cried and cried when he died. That’s what happens when we lose those we love.

But the promise of Easter is that those separations and sorrows won’t last forever.

A few years ago, I performed Johannes Brahms’ Requiem in a choir. If you enjoy that kind of thing, it’s a piece you don’t want to miss. After learning to chew up and spit out the unfamiliar German words, I could finally focus on the meaning of the text. And the words resonated with my soul. I spent several rehearsals, tears streaming down my face, rejoicing as the somber plodding refrain, “All flesh is as grass; … for lo, the grass with’reth, and the flower thereof decayeth,” made way for the triumphant declaration, “Death, O where is thy sting? Grave, where is thy triumph?”

When Christians celebrate the events of Jesus’s final week of life on earth—Palm Sunday, remembering His triumphal entry into Jerusalem as a king; the Last Supper, where He taught His closest followers important Christian doctrine; the Garden of Gethsemane, where He prayed throughout the night; Good Friday, a day of betrayal, anguish, and death—they do it looking forward to the hope of that early Sabbath morning when Jesus put an end to the finality of death.

For circle people, the story of Easter promises an end to the endings and hope for countless tomorrows with those we love. And that makes it personal.
    I like were your head is at, after reading this someone could realize there is no reason for anyone to not celebrate this holiday al least to right there moral compass. both my mother and father passed away recently and was very difficult to deal with emotionally and spiritually as my mother was a very devout Lutheran and my father completely on the other side and in his will he stated no praying or religious stuff at all. he really lost his faith in humanity growing up when he did he saw and herd things so cruel done by Russians to our people. he was a overly kind and generous person till his last day. my mother was also a amazing and kind person sadly she suffered from alzheimer's for 12years before it took her.

Comments

Bootsy Collins: My sincere condolences

big dick: Same
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Just some food for thought folks about Ishtar err I mean Easter.. Yeah The Catholics love to hijack pagan holidays.. Jesus wasn't born in the winter yet they moved his birthday to early winter to hijack the Pagan Solstace and Saturnalia celebrations and low and behold they hijacked the ultimate pagan holiday started by Baal known as Ishtar now called Easter by ill informed Christians

http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract1.html

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    isn;t the real easter next week? is this true iamgreek?.........and wut is the jewish eqivalent to easter? chinese food again?
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Yes Mulva Greek Easter is always the 1st week after jewish passover.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyMonkeyBaby View Post
    Just some food for thought folks about Ishtar err I mean Easter.. Yeah The Catholics love to hijack pagan holidays.. Jesus wasn't born in the winter yet they moved his birthday to early winter to hijack the Pagan Solstace and Saturnalia celebrations and low and behold they hijacked the ultimate pagan holiday started by Baal known as Ishtar now called Easter by ill informed Christians

The tactic was important in ensuring the growth of Christianity. Without it there would not be the conditions for “last trumpet ministries”
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGreek View Post
    Yes Mulva Greek Easter is always the 1st week after jewish passover.
    That's because the last supper was a Passover Seder. Easter should always be 3 days after Passover.
    HILLARY WON

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I am sure it comes as no surprise they don't even mention Easter in schools here. It is all spring break and all mentions of Easter have been completely wiped out. Not even the non-religious aspects. But they did celebrate Chinese New Years a couple weeks ago. It is amazing how the in public elementary schools it is just a complete war on American mainstream culture and a celebration of everything that isn't. Like I said, I am not even Christian, but I don't think it is a good thing that the radicals who control the school systems are waging a war against our own culture and using our kids as front line troops (and using our tax $$ to pay for their war).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I am sure it comes as no surprise they don't even mention Easter in schools here. It is all spring break and all mentions of Easter have been completely wiped out. Not even the non-religious aspects. But they did celebrate Chinese New Years a couple weeks ago. It is amazing how the in public elementary schools it is just a complete war on American mainstream culture and a celebration of everything that isn't. Like I said, I am not even Christian, but I don't think it is a good thing that the radicals who control the school systems are waging a war against our own culture and using our kids as front line troops (and using our tax $$ to pay for their war).

Do they celebrate other cultures religious holidays, or have they simply eradicated religious holiday mentions in general? If they have a Ramadan-labeled break or officially have Purim days while ignoring more traditional holidays associated with our culture, you have a point. If they start ignoring Memorial Day, or Veterans Day in favor of observing some other cultures secular holidays, then you’d have a point. I’m generally curious as anything is possible in California, but it would surprise me.

You’re talking about tax $$, so I assume you’re talking about public schools.

Load Metric
    Yes, yes I have.

Comments

splitthis: WeissIsNice rep
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

Do they celebrate other cultures religious holidays, or have they simply eradicated religious holiday mentions in general? If they have a Ramadan-labeled break or officially have Purim days while ignoring more traditional holidays associated with our culture, you have a point. If they start ignoring Memorial Day, or Veterans Day in favor of observing some other cultures secular holidays, then you’d have a point. I’m generally curious as anything is possible in California, but it would surprise me.

You’re talking about tax $$, so I assume you’re talking about public schools.
    Well, the school "winter celebration" or whatever PC term they used featured 2 Kwanzaa themed songs, 1 Chanukah song and the closest they came to a Christmas themed song was Jingle Bell Rock. I think that answers your question pretty well. And yes, public school.

It is funny, my kid's class was one of the ones singing a Kwanzaa song. My wife asked my son later that day what Kwanzaa was and he said he didn't know. I have never met a single person who knows what the fuck Kwanzaa is or what it was about without having to look it up. And I would be surprised if 10 people in entire LA city actively celebrated it. And yet it is now a more important cultural holiday than Christmas as far as LAUSD is concerned.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyMonkeyBaby View Post

Actual, the most commonly accepted etymology of “Easter” is that it is from a Proto-Germanic/Old English pagan holiday honoring the goddess of fertility and spring (“Eastre”), and from which we also the the name of the compass direction of the sunrise.
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/easter
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Hello

Jesus was not Jewish, Christian, Hebrew, Muslim, or Canary.

Jesus is a Towelist. His blood was cleaned by the Mama Towel.

Mama Towel is the spiritual cousin of Alec Torreli's lesbian cousin AngelTowel. In a strange side plot, AngelTowel and Mama Towel perform The Eiffel Tower Towel Combo on weekends at local Flea Markets/ Gypsy Depots. If you get a chance, go see the show. They always need a member of the crowd to be involved in order to perform the ETTC.

LPT

Thread Information