Thread: My fantasy NL-only baseball draft is on Saturday morning -- post sleepers/unknown breakout players here

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

My fantasy NL-only baseball draft is on Saturday morning -- post sleepers/unknown breakout players here

We do a fantasy draft a week into the season (with stats collected retroactively), so we have a better idea of the starting lineups.

It's a 5x5, 10-team NL keeper league.

The fantasy owners are pretty good, so all of the highly touted and moderately-highly-touted rookies (as of 2017) are already taken and kept. So don't suggest Ronald Acuna, or anyone like that.

Also, AL players (minors and majors) are off-limits.

What I'm looking for are under-the-radar players that seem to be poised for a surprise/breakout year (young or mid-career), but to where most people don't know about it yet.

These would likely be players you know well because you're a big fan of the ballclub.

I already have some in mind myself, but I'd like to get input from the baseball fans of the forum.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    We do a fantasy draft a week into the season (with stats collected retroactively), so we have a better idea of the starting lineups.

The fantasy owners are pretty good, so all of the highly touted and moderately-highly-touted rookies (as of 2017) are already taken and kept. So don't suggest Ronald Acuna, or anyone like that.

What I'm looking for are under-the-radar players that seem to be poised for a surprise/breakout year (young or mid-career), but to where most people don't know about it yet.

These would likely be players you know well because you're a big fan of the ballclub.

I already have some in mind myself, but I'd like to get input from the baseball fans of the forum.

Scott Kingery ( Phillies)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gookieheimowitz View Post

Scott Kingery ( Phillies)

Load Metric
    load up on Arizona & Colorado players....dump Dodgers, start by trading Bellinger, Puig, Taylor, Jansen, Alexander
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    load up on Arizona & Colorado players....dump Dodgers, start by trading Bellinger, Puig, Taylor, Jansen, Alexander
    No trading in this league.

I have Bellinger and Taylor super cheap, so they're staying.

AZ players tend to be overvalued in this league because 60% of the owners are from there.

Colorado players are also sometimes overvalued. The group of owners isn't stupid and knows about the inflated stats.

Just made a long list of potential sleepers over past few hours.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    In the same type of league, had my free agent auction last week. Here are a few I had listed.

Aj Minter RP Atlanta- 24 yrs old, closer in waiting
    Carl Edwards RP ChiC - 12.8 k/9 beast. 0.92 whip career Next in line behind the inevitable Morrow collapse
    Jacob Barnes RP Mil- Next up in Milwaukee, esp after Knebal down for 6 weeks
    Brandon Woodruff p Mil- Gets a spot start tonight against Cubs, Is slated as next up for shaky Brewers rotation.
    Harrison Bader of STL- Just called up again, had brief stint last year. Solid bat, great lineup to sit in

Minors Players below: (a cpl are top tier, so might not be available)

Luis Urias ss San Diego-- 20 years old, High bat ave hitter, sitting behind Freddy Galvis, Eta call up July
    Luiz Gohara p Atl- Currently on dl, Big Frame, Power thrower, knockout slider, Eta Mid May
    Corbin Burnes p mil- In AAA , top Brewers pitching prospect, second in line to enter Brewer Pitching rotation
    Juan Soto was of- 19, On same trajectory as Victor Robles, two power hitting studs Eta 2019
    Carter Kieboom ss was- #4 on Washington prospect list, was injured last year , fell on some boards, eta 2019

Also, Closermonkey is a great resource for bullpen hierarchy and changes

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    sidd finch - nym
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Tyler Mahle of the Reds is available in many leagues as a starting pitcher.
    Has one solid outing against the Cubs.
    He was a top 100 Baseball America prospect so may be long gone in your league.

Peace,

Hozer11

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyErnie View Post
    In the same type of league, had my free agent auction last week. Here are a few I had listed.

Carl Edwards RP ChiC - 12.8 k/9 beast. 0.92 whip career Next in line behind the inevitable Morrow collapse
    Brandon Woodruff p Mil- Gets a spot start tonight against Cubs, Is slated as next up for shaky Brewers rotation.
    Harrison Bader of STL- Just called up again, had brief stint last year. Solid bat, great lineup to sit in

Luis Urias ss San Diego-- 20 years old, High bat ave hitter, sitting behind Freddy Galvis, Eta call up July
    Luiz Gohara p Atl- Currently on dl, Big Frame, Power thrower, knockout slider, Eta Mid May
    Corbin Burnes p mil- In AAA , top Brewers pitching prospect, second in line to enter Brewer Pitching rotation
    Juan Soto was of- 19, On same trajectory as Victor Robles, two power hitting studs Eta 2019
    Carter Kieboom ss was- #4 on Washington prospect list, was injured last year , fell on some boards, eta 2019

Most of the guys you mentioned will not be under the radar (such as the minors players), but the Minter suggestion is a great one.

Totally under the radar, and might get saves this year.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyErnie View Post

Most of the guys you mentioned will not be under the radar (such as the minors players), but the Minter suggestion is a great one.

Totally under the radar, and might get saves this year.

You end up getting Minter Druff? Appears to have locked down the closer role for a team that projects to be good for the foreseable future.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Nah, my league was too smart. He went for decent $ at the auction.

Interestingly, I did get 4 of the following 5 players suggested by Dirty Ernie:

I got all but Soto, who was already grabbed in 2017 and kept. I'm keeping 3 of these guys for next year.

However, I just released Gohara, as he sucked in both the majors and minors this year.

I also grabbed Jordan Hicks (in the reserve round), who might or might not have the closer role in St. Louis now.

I have two teams in this 10-team league. One team is shit and is likely to finish 8th or 9th.

The other currently sits in 3rd, but not too far from first, so it's definitely contending.

Carlos Martinez's bad/injured season has hurt my good team. However, I did grab Nick Markakis and Matt Kemp for cheap on that team, and while Kemp has fallen way off, Markakis is still going strong. Also, I grabbed Junior Guerra, Jeremy Hellickson, and Adam Ottavino for that team in the reserve round -- all of whom have contributed nicely this season. I grabbed Moustakas when he came over to the NL, though that ate most of my remaining free agent $.

Thread Information