Thread: California is officially wacko!!! (Or perhaps coffee really is dangerously carcinogenic?)

Load Metric

California is officially wacko!!! (Or perhaps coffee really is dangerously carcinogenic?)

California needs to stop saying everything causes cancer
    https://www.popsci.com/california-coffee-cancer-warning

Except:

You may have heard that coffee gives you cancer. Or that everything gives you cancer—if you live in California.

The reason: Proposition 65. It’s a California state law that requires businesses with 10 or more employees to provide reasonable warning about the use of any chemicals the state has decided could cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. One of these chemicals is acrylamide, which a rodent study pinned as a possible carcinogen. It’s found in almost everything that’s cooked at a high temperature. And because a particularly litigious law firm recently sued the state for not properly warning residents about acrylamide in coffee, California is now on the verge of requiring all coffee shops and manufacturers to include a warning on the beverage that it may cause cancer.

The problem, of course, is that coffee doesn’t cause cancer. Acrylamide might cause cancer at very high doses, but the amount that you’ll find in your food is harmless. You’ve actually been unintentionally eating it for your whole life, because it’s in everything from potato chips to roasted asparagus. When the media world exploded about the acrylamide in french fries last year, we quoted Professor of the Public Understanding of Risk at University of Cambridge David Spiegelhalter thusly: “Adults with the highest consumption of acrylamide could consume 160 times as much and still only be at a level that toxicologists think unlikely to cause increased tumors in mice.” The American Cancer Society agrees. Most of the hoopla about acrylamide comes from a single rodent study that found it caused a few more cases of cancer than baseline when given in extraordinarily high doses. No human studies suggest it’s carcinogenic at any realistic dose.
    See the article to learn how a ridiculous law firm sued California to force the state to make businness’ put the warning on coffee.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 04-05-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    I think lots of stuff cause cancer doubt coffee is one of them

Comments

MumblesBadly: What??? California is wrong??? Noooooooooo!!!

Load Metric
    While I appreciate the intent of trying to warn myself and others about hazards that might be encountered, Prop 65 has pretty much had the opposite effect that one might have hoped. Because the signage and warnings are so ubiquitous, people pretty much ignore them wholesale.

(The article may have said the same thing, but I didn't read it because who the fuck reads articles before commenting on them?)

Comments

MumblesBadly: How dare you risk the welfare of your dependants by ignoring these warnings!

Load Metric
    Science to the rescue!

Well, to be frank, it doesn’t save the businesses in California that have post that stupid and scientifically dubious-at-best warning.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    See my post above. No one in this state pays attention to those warnings. Maybe it costs them a few bucks in some stickers but it's not actually deterring potential customers.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by KidPresentable View Post
    While I appreciate the intent of trying to warn myself and others about hazards that might be encountered, Prop 65 has pretty much had the opposite effect that one might have hoped. Because the signage and warnings are so ubiquitous, people pretty much ignore them wholesale.

(The article may have said the same thing, but I didn't read it because who the fuck reads articles before commenting on them?)
    I don't think there is even any intent to warn about hazards. It is just for litigation purposes. Noone gives a shit about any of these warnings. Like you said, if anything this is actually bad for us because if something really is dangerous it will probably just be lost with all the BS. But noone really cares about what is good or isn't good for the people. This is all about lining the pockets of politicians (through bribes), attorneys and businesses.

Thread Information