Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2018 Thread ***

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Sanlmar, are you ready to give the Dodgers at least some credit here?

Two NL championships in a row and 6 division titles in a row can't be considered failure.

Very tough road ahead, but maybe they'll pull off the upset.
    I will offer an allegory

You play for a D1 mid major.

Your president is committed to growing the program. Shady academic dollars and other perks are readily available. The coach is god and recruits like a boss.

Your division and conference is crap.

You do your business during the regular season. You are not rebuilding. It’s a well run program. You are expected to take it down every year.

You earn your way to the post season. Entry to the College World Series Regionals. This is where the fun begins against the best. Personally, you might get some attention from scouts - you get ESPN channel 97 televising early rounds.

You lose in the first round and your season is reckoned as a failure. Lotta time and money wasted. As a player you die in obscurity.

$200m Dodgers in the meh NL West. No one gives a fuck about division wins. It’s your job. It gets you a tourney ticket.

I AM impressed by the back to back NL Championships. Hey, Dodgers beat good teams.

I have recently arrived at the thought that your poker experience skews your view of sports success. You finish 2nd or 3rd in a tourney and you collect a prize. You go out and buy some lawn furniture or new tires for the family van. You feel successful.

Nobody is impressed by lawn furniture.
    ?? allegories are for the new testament...

the Giants also spent near the salary cap this year...

who I am impressed with is their cross-bay rival that put together a playoff team on the cheap.

maybe someday the greedy Giants will allow the A's to relocate to San Jose (yeah right) so the A's can match a big budget with their skilled management
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    So Chris Sale WAS (edit) in the hospital. Stomach problems reported. I’m thinking he’s been given so many anti-inflammatories for his shoulder his stomach was affected.

That’s the kind of shit you can use. However...

Boston’s Chris Sale: ‘I Had An Irritation From A Belly-Button Ring’
    https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/10/...-world-series/

Price has a pierced labia and Sale has a belly button ring. That’s the Sawks 1 & 2.

Sale is a funny bastard.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 10-21-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

I will offer an allegory

You play for a D1 mid major.

Your president is committed to growing the program. Shady academic dollars and other perks are readily available. The coach is god and recruits like a boss.

Your division and conference is crap.

You do your business during the regular season. You are not rebuilding. It’s a well run program. You are expected to take it down every year.

You earn your way to the post season. Entry to the College World Series Regionals. This is where the fun begins against the best. Personally, you might get some attention from scouts - you get ESPN channel 97 televising early rounds.

You lose in the first round and your season is reckoned as a failure. Lotta time and money wasted. As a player you die in obscurity.

$200m Dodgers in the meh NL West. No one gives a fuck about division wins. It’s your job. It gets you a tourney ticket.

I AM impressed by the back to back NL Championships. Hey, Dodgers beat good teams.

I have recently arrived at the thought that your poker experience skews your view of sports success. You finish 2nd or 3rd in a tourney and you collect a prize. You go out and buy some lawn furniture or new tires for the family van. You feel successful.

Nobody is impressed by lawn furniture.

who I am impressed with is their cross-bay rival that put together a playoff team on the cheap.

maybe someday the greedy Giants will allow the A's to relocate to San Jose (yeah right) so the A's can match a big budget with their skilled management
    Why would the giants have any say over what the a's do and don't do?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'll repeat again that a perpetually competitive team is far more entertaining and satisfying as a fan to watch than one which wins a few championships and goes into the toilet for many years.

Look at the Marlins.

They've had two World Series titles since 1997.

They've also had zero division titles in their 26-year history.

They're also in a terrible rebuild and won't be competitive for a long time.

They also haven't made the playoffs for 15 consecutive seasons.

Would you like to be a Marlins fan?

After all, they've won 2 World Series in the past 22 seasons, whereas the Dodgers have won zero.

Obviously not.

There's something to be said for watching regular season games which matter. There's something to be said for rooting your team on in the playoffs. There's something to be said for being excited about your team next season.

Look at the Giants. Three World Series wins in the 2010s. But right now they're a failteam with no end in sight.

I'm far happier to be rooting for the team which has won 6 division titles in a row, made the playoffs 9 of the last 13 years, played in 6 NLCS in the past 11 years, and made two World Series in a row.

No matter what happens against Boston, I'm happy to be a Dodgers fan right now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'll repeat again that a perpetually competitive team is far more entertaining and satisfying as a fan to watch than one which wins a few championships and goes into the toilet for many years.

Look at the Marlins.

They've had two World Series titles since 1997.

They've also had zero division titles in their 26-year history.

They're also in a terrible rebuild and won't be competitive for a long time.

They also haven't made the playoffs for 15 consecutive seasons.

Would you like to be a Marlins fan?

After all, they've won 2 World Series in the past 22 seasons, whereas the Dodgers have won zero.

Obviously not.

There's something to be said for watching regular season games which matter. There's something to be said for rooting your team on in the playoffs. There's something to be said for being excited about your team next season.

Look at the Giants. Three World Series wins in the 2010s. But right now they're a failteam with no end in sight.

I'm far happier to be rooting for the team which has won 6 division titles in a row, made the playoffs 9 of the last 13 years, played in 6 NLCS in the past 11 years, and made two World Series in a row.

No matter what happens against Boston, I'm happy to be a Dodgers fan right now.
    What a weak argument. The Dodgers blow so let's pick any other team and compare. If you're happy with
    just showing up then great. The league is pathetic to begin with. How many games are necessary to rob you of your dignity and money?
    160 games and people show up to watch? Lol. Just in case let's drag the 90% along while the rich get richer.
    It can be a good game but MLB is a rip off more than any other sports league

When has 2nd, third or fourth place ever been satisfying?

Have you ever thought about it.? Why 160 games? In what universe does it take that many games to decide a winner? Oh right, the sucker universe.
    Last edited by limitles; 10-21-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  yeswecan.gif
Views: 180
Size:  4.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is the smarts of the forum leader. No response because there is none.

Start name calling Druff. Go ahead and I will follow if you want to revert to grade school antics

I can understand. No one wants to be called out especially if they pay for a site that is only
    possible because of one's huge ego.
    You can't carry an argument past the "put the bottle down" statement.

Let's go back. What about the 160 games per season thought. What do you think? Is that a
    number of games that makes sense to anyone but the owners/players?

Nope, too stuck up to even respond. Only hot chicks and website owners are allowed this privilege and
    that doesn't last for too long. Do you think any person of any integrity will stick with a bullshit
    narcissist? I hope you have no medical complications going forward but that has nothing to do with your moral or intellectual integrity which is of great importance

Do you realize how unaware you are?
    Have you ever considered that possiblity? Because it's
    very obvious. You're smart but you just can't see the big picture.

And you may realize, I'm not a Druff hater. Given all our history
    I think you're a good person blah blah blah.
    But you are very unwilling to look at the other side, the perspective of the other guy.
    Just look at your fight with the medical community. Yeah you may be right, but there is
    a history of you not accepting anything from authority.
    Last edited by limitles; 10-21-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post

Why would the giants have any say over what the a's do and don't do?
    http://theweek.com/articles/463080/w...oving-san-jose

https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/08/...l-rights-feud/

cliffs: in 1990 A's owner Walter Haas gave up territorial rights of Santa Clara County (San Jose) to the Giants (owner Bob Lurie who was losing money bad then) in an effort to get voters to approve a new stadium there for the Giants (Candlestick was miserable)...the vote failed, but the territorial rights did not revert back to pre 1990 boundaries

All major league teams have exclusive territorial rights of 25 miles from their stadium (no other teams locate closer without specific permission)...San Jose is 40 miles from San Francisco, thus that was neutral territory until Haas gave up the rights...Haas figured the Giants would move to San Jose and the A's would have the Oakland/San Francisco area to themselves...the Giants never moved and eventually built a new stadium in San Francisco at a place much better than the old Candlestick Park

the Giants claim 35percent of their ticket sales are from the Silicon Valley (San Jose) area...so they are not going to give up the rights without a fight...

the A's need to get out of Oakland, the stadium is trash and the city has been in decline for a long time...San Jose or Las Vegas maybe?

Comments

big dick: Cool thanks. Candlestick was def trash
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 10-21-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Load Metric
    Dodgers manager, Dave Roberts, is finding it hard to let go of his dream of starting Buehler in game 1.

I wish he would just man up and let Kershaw know he’s the guy. Sure, Kershaw is gonna struggle with his confidence but it will all be over soon.

Hard% Kershaw is 36 vs Sale 25

Kershaw will not have that silly ball park in LA to hide his mistakes Tuesday. I don’t envy Roberts.

Kimbrel and Jansen have been heart attacks. Kimbral more so.

Eric Gagne was a pitcher who the Dodgers shot up with roids and converted from a starter to reliever. The guy was the lead story every night back in the day. What he was doing was incomprehensible back then.

So Gagne (ex Dodger) calls up his buddy Alex Cora (Sawks mgr) and tells him Kimbrel is tipping pitches. Think Yu Darvish last year WS game 7. The correction was made by Kimbral and it’s back to being lights out.

I like stories
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 10-22-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    No response because your retarded "baseball is scam, too many games" argument has nothing to do with what he said.

Load Metric
    Blue Heaven next weekend. Going to game 3 with my mom and my sis. Game 5 with my son. Oddly, got to root for the Dodgers to lose one, but a sweep by either team is unlikely. I remember 1988. Had tix to game 6, was ready to fly to LA, but Dodgers won it in 5 when everyone thought the A's might sweep them. I was living in SF back then and went to many A's games that year. I adopted them as my American League Team because going to Giants games at Candlestick was unthinkable (unless they were playing the Dodgers of course). They were a great team, much better than the Dodgers. Anyone who thinks these Dodgers don't have a chance against the Red Sox is full of it.
    Last edited by Jayjami; 10-22-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Blue Heaven next weekend. Going to game 3 with my mom and my sis. Game 5 with my son. Oddly, got to root for the Dodgers to lose one, but a sweep by either team is unlikely. I remember 1988. Had tix to game 6, was ready to fly to LA, but Dodgers won it in 5 when everyone thought the A's might sweep them. I was living in SF back then and went to many A's games that year. I adopted them as my American League Team because going to Giants games at Candlestick was unthinkable (unless they were playing the Dodgers of course). They were a great team, much better than the Dodgers. Anyone who thinks these Dodgers don't have a chance against the Red Sox is full of it.
    Did you go to the NLDS or NLCS?

Other than fail NLCS Game 3, all Dodgers home playoff games have been winners so far (including that Game 163 against the Rockies).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Did you go to the NLDS or NLCS?

Other than fail NLCS Game 3, all Dodgers home playoff games have been winners so far (including that Game 163 against the Rockies).
    Did not go. For the first time in 20 years I didn't even make it to a regular season game. Good thing they made the WS!

Load Metric

Nope

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

Nope
    The books gotta be annoyed with the Dodgers delaying starting pitcher announcement

All that weekend LA traffic was missed in Vegas

Heard anything?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

No response because your retarded "baseball is scam, too many games" argument has nothing to do with what he said.
    I disagree. Didn't say scam, I said it's pathetic and it is related.

"I'll repeat again that a perpetually competitive team is far more entertaining and satisfying as a fan to watch than one which wins a few championships and goes into the toilet for many years."

This first statement is one I question. A team that reaches the playoffs consistently but fails in the playoffs would be completely unsatisfying to me especially if I had to wait 6 months every year to reach the same conclusion. The goal is two win it all. Nothing sweeter than that. Matter of opinion.

"There's something to be said for watching regular season games which matter. There's something to be said for rooting your team on in the playoffs. There's something to be said for being excited about your team next season."

This first sentence relates directly to my objection of 160 games per year. An argument could be made that a regular season game is virtually meaningless. How exciting is it to look ahead to the next season when it's going to be hope unrealized.
    Again matter of opinion. All those stats Druff threw in to support his claim are meaningless because support his personal claims. His opinion.

Without tv money the schedule would be much shorter, each game more interesting and maybe more competitive if
    income sources were equalized. Hopefully the network monies will dry up and the bloated seasons will shrink.
    Last edited by limitles; 10-22-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Load Metric
    Lines just dropped

I think this is the first time Kershaw isn’t a favorite since Druff was a pimply teen

MOBILE - BASEBALL - MLB - 902 LOS ANGELES DODGERS/BOSTON RED SOX OVER 7½ +102 FOR GAME

MOBILE - BASEBALL - MLB - 902 BOSTON RED SOX -140 FOR GAME

Bought smaller with the total. Will scale more if better opportunity arises

Load Metric

Why 160 games? In what universe does it take that many games to decide a winner? Oh right, the sucker universe.
    Its the nature of the game itself and the distribution of talent that requires 162 games to determine the best team amongst the field of competitors. A single game usually has only 27 outs / 40 plate appearances per game split into 3 out clusters of opportunities to score, with the chance of at batting success (getting on base) usually only about 35% average...thus unlike football/basketball the number of scoring trials in a game are not enough to establish clear team superiority in a single contest....multiple contests are needed to determine the better team. Also, the odds of winning a contest in baseball are also greatly influenced by the starting pitcher, and the ability of each starting pitcher varies greatly. A superior baseball team will rarely win more than 65% of its games during a season, while in basketball or football such a winning percentage is typical of an average to good team. A comparison of team winning percentages across the various sports show baseball teams winning percentages are more closely bunched that other sports, hence one can conclude major league baseball has its talent more evenly distributed that basketball/football.

Finally, the non-collision nature of play and slow pace of the game allows the athletes to play each day, and allows fans to follow daily the progress of the team through the season--indeed, a season of baseball is like a soap opera for men, a continuously evolving story...some people (often older persons) prefer the familiarity that develops with a local baseball team...others, often younger people, prefer the fast paced excitement of football or basketball games that are less frequent...

in sum, there are reasons why the season is 162 games long, those reasons may/may not contribute to your enjoyment of the sport
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 10-22-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Why 160 games? In what universe does it take that many games to decide a winner? Oh right, the sucker universe.
    Its the nature of the game itself and the distribution of talent that requires 162 games to determine the best team amongst the field of competitors. A single game usually has only 27 outs / 40 plate appearances per game split into 3 out clusters of opportunities to score, with the chance of at batting success (getting on base) usually only about 35% average...thus unlike football/basketball the number of scoring trials in a game are not enough to establish clear team superiority in a single contest....multiple contests are needed to determine the better team. Also, the odds of winning a contest in baseball are also greatly influenced by the starting pitcher, and the ability of each starting pitcher varies greatly. A superior baseball team will rarely win more than 65% of its games during a season, while in basketball or football such a winning percentage is typical of an average to good team. A comparison of team winning percentages across the various sports show baseball teams winning percentages are more closely bunched that other sports, hence one can conclude major league baseball has its talent more evenly distributed that basketball/football.

Finally, the non-collision nature of play and slow pace of the game allows the athletes to play each day, and allows fans to follow daily the progress of the team through the season--indeed, a season of baseball is like a soap opera for men, a continuously evolving story...some people (often older persons) prefer the familiarity that develops with a local baseball team...others, often younger people, prefer the fast paced excitement of football or basketball games that are less frequent...

in sum, there are reasons why the season is 162 games long, those reasons may/may not contribute to the your enjoyment of the sport
    I believe it has much more to do with making money. Because it is a less demanding sport physically they can do what no other major league team sport can. It's great to sit at a ball game on a sunny day but when it comes to bang for your buck it's in 5th place. Druff has said here that MLB is the league most in danger going forward and I think it's got a lot to do with a long drawn out season. Every who likes the game can get into the playoffs but the regular season is a turtle race.
    I believe the NBA and NHL seasons are too long as well

Comments

GrenadaRoger: agree, could shorten to 130 games...world series with freezing weather is a travesty

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Why why why is Dozier leading off?

I don't like this lineup at all. 4 hitters who have sucked lately (Dozier, Kemp, Kike, Barnes),. Bellinger is out despite being the NLCS MVP (even though Puig honestly deserved it).

Also, Freese is great in the postseason, but I don't like him instead of Muncy, and he has little power at this point. At least he got a hit in his first AB.

This lineup looks like one which will be easily eaten by Sale, if he's on his game (which so far looks like he is).

I understand this is a lefty-righty thing, but I don't like it.

Thread Information