Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2018 Thread ***

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Gookie,

How long have you lived in Arizona? It is weird that you would consider the Phillies a "high-profile" game for Az fans. I think that is just your homerism showing. Except for maybe a marquee club like the Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox, I doubt Az fans would consider any out of division game "high-profile." I think maybe you underestimate just how regional baseball is from an average fan's perspective.

I can get on board with this . West coast baseball sucks . Fan base wise. Sedated non interested in game fans . I also agree I'm a Homer when it comes to all Philly sports . Suppose I was just looking forward to a somewhat different environment.

Load Metric
    Yo Druff

Just finished watching the Dodgers

Kenley Jansen was varying his delivery from pitch to pitch. He was using a Kershaw-like hesitation on some pitches. The batter never knows when the ball is gonna be thrown.

If he’s in for one inning you can’t digest this quick enough. Brilliant

Has he always been doing this? It was a revelation to me.

Load Metric
    https://www.mlb.com/cut4/cesar-herna...er/c-289385196

Cesar Hernandez hits little league home run . This is why the Dbacks suck.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    I got a big payday coming if the impossible happens:. Oakland winning the AL West.
    For my money (which is the $100 MLB pkg) the Athletics just bring more entertainment than any other team

Double steal tonight - 2nd and safe at home.

All those crazy comebacks.
    3.5 games back. I got Oakland @ +4500 to win the West. $400 bet.

Gold
    Load Metric
    The Cardinals are going to win the World Series. Does anyone remember back in 2011 when the Cardinals made a miracle comeback to win the Wild Card race and then the World Series? I would love to see it again. And fuck the Dodgers and the Astros.

https://deadspin.com/5851837/the-man...rich-right-now

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers will really miss Kenley Jansen while he's out.

Hopefully he makes it back in time for the postseason.

Out again with heart problems, which led to heart surgery in 2012.

Strange to see these issues with a young, professional athlete.

Tonight the Rockies hit a 3-run HR in the bottom of the 9th, to win 3-2. Wasted a great start by Walker Buehler.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Tonight the Rockies hit a 3-run HR in the bottom of the 9th, to win 3-2. Wasted a great start by Walker Buehler.
    Postseason? They will be lucky to make it.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Yeah. Those last 3 losses to the Rockies were bad. One of them they lost the lead in the 7th and the other two they lost in the 9th inning, including blowing a 2-0 lead. I wouldn't be surprised if they just crumble after this.

Load Metric
    what a win for the cubs!!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    That Bote kid is really kicking ass.

The Cubs would be smart to ride him, especially given how bad their starting pitching has been (though Hamels has worked out so far).

Comments

big dick: Yeah they gotta find a spot for him. His d is v good too

Load Metric

If you have any love of schadenfreude you have to root for the Dodgers to find a wildcard spot.

Odds are Dodgers will start Kershaw in that spot despite all the historical data. Once and for all we can put a capstone on the Kershaw postseason fail and lay the whole Kershaw thing to rest.

Looky here, we have Bumgarner v Kershaw tonight. Bumgarner, that post season warrior, makes my point about Kershaw.

Kershaw got his first and only strikeout last outing in the 6th inning. His velo is down and swing and miss ain’t what it used to be. I would rather have control than velo and Kershaw is pretty good with his control. He is still relevant.

Bum tends to go longer than Kershaw. He’s just meaner and tougher. Which reminds us that the Dodgers will have to rethink their whole nerd trust abbreviated starter approach that is so trendy with troubled teams like the Dodgers & Rays. Very very interesting to see Chicken Strips and Maeda going to bullpen.

Maeda is gonna lose a ton of incentive bonus money with this move. I have no sense of the guy but I’d give a penny for his thoughts.

He’s gonna miss out on a lot of this

$1 million each for his 25th, 30th, and 32nd start.
    $250,000 each for his 110th, 120th, 130th, 140th, 150th, 160th, 170th, 180th, and 190th inning pitched.
    $750,000 for his 200th inning.

Tablet - Baseball - MLB - 905 San Francisco Giants +189 for Game

Still, I’ll take 2:1 all day with Bum whilst having the basic literacy to see the negative units Kershaw starts cost bettors.

Who is more attractive as a free agent Bum or Kershaw? I rest my case.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    I took what was, in my opinion, cheap Scherzer money last night.

Mobile - Baseball - MLB - 963 Washington Nationals -129 for Game

The Cubs didn’t so much win that as the Nationals lost it. A walk and 2 hit batters to load the bases. The Nats defensive substitution at 2nd base. Let’s wake a guy who was sleeping in the dugout for 8 innings and put him out there.

Bote knew exactly which pitch he was gonna get and he capitalized.

Normally, I’d be on mega tilt in this spot but I didn’t feel the least bit bad about losing this. That kind of magic is a good omen for Cubs.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

If you have any love of schadenfreude you have to root for the Dodgers to find a wildcard spot.

Odds are Dodgers will start Kershaw in that spot despite all the historical data. Once and for all we can put a capstone on the Kershaw postseason fail and lay the whole Kershaw thing to rest.

Looky here, we have Bumgarner v Kershaw tonight. Bumgarner, that post season warrior, makes my point about Kershaw.

Kershaw got his first and only strikeout last outing in the 6th inning. His velo is down and swing and miss ain’t what it used to be. I would rather have control than velo and Kershaw is pretty good with his control. He is still relevant.

Bum tends to go longer than Kershaw. He’s just meaner and tougher. Which reminds us that the Dodgers will have to rethink their whole nerd trust abbreviated starter approach that is so trendy with troubled teams like the Dodgers & Rays. Very very interesting to see Chicken Strips and Maeda going to bullpen.

Maeda is gonna lose a ton of incentive bonus money with this move. I have no sense of the guy but I’d give a penny for his thoughts.

He’s gonna miss out on a lot of this

$1 million each for his 25th, 30th, and 32nd start.
    $250,000 each for his 110th, 120th, 130th, 140th, 150th, 160th, 170th, 180th, and 190th inning pitched.
    $750,000 for his 200th inning.

Tablet - Baseball - MLB - 905 San Francisco Giants +189 for Game

Still, I’ll take 2:1 all day with Bum whilst having the basic literacy to see the negative units Kershaw starts cost bettors.

Who is more attractive as a free agent Bum or Kershaw? I rest my case.

Last year Kershaw was -200 to -400 every game and you still would have made money betting him. This year it is the opposite. These things tend to balance out over time. He still might be a little overpriced with his diminished skills this year, but I believe the books know what they are doing.

It still might be smart to bet against the dodgers though if you believe in juju. They really might be reeling after all those bad losses in Colorado.

Load Metric
    Kershaw isn't the same pitcher anymore. I don't think the batters even fear him like they used to.

He was drafted out of high school and I wonder if it took a toll on his longevity. I have a feeling his 30s won't be kind to him. Bad timing for him as this is his opt out year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Kershaw isn't the same pitcher anymore. I don't think the batters even fear him like they used to.

He was drafted out of high school and I wonder if it took a toll on his longevity. I have a feeling his 30s won't be kind to him. Bad timing for him as this is his opt out year.
    Normally I hate this shit but maybe it suits Kershaw.

We mature with damage, not with years”

I never looked into Bumgarner’s background. What made him such a warrior.

Kershaw was a prize out of high school. Spent his career in the weak NL West. Never had a struggle. He is David Price.

Cole Hamels may be the prize pickup this year. I’m not going to compare Kershaw vs Hammel’s body of work. I’ll just say that as I venture toward the off season I’ll take Hammel at this point in his journey. The guy has always shown grit and attitude.

Remember him throwing at 19 yr old Bryce Harper on purpose?

"I'm not going to injure a guy," Hamels told reporters after the game. "They're probably not going to like me for it. But I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't trying to do it."
    Also from Cole Hammel yesterday.

This is why I play the game,” Hamels told Cubs.com after yesterday’s win. “I do love the game of baseball with all my heart, but to be in the spotlight, big games against big-time pitchers, that’s what I live for.
    How do you not fall in love with a guy like that?

This is something you’ll never hear from Kershaw. The guy has never shown any moxie (heart). He gets mad at himself when he fails. Big fucking deal. Redirect that energy you scruffy punk.

Maybe Kershaw’s recent physical struggles will build the character he has lacked before. Maybe it’s too late.

Speaking of mental makeup. Scherzer last night. If you saw him you understand. The anti-Kershaw.

Comments

big dick: Big game guy unlike Clayton
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-13-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Load Metric
    oh I love him already!! Didn't take very long -)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...surgery-season

Kenley Jansen to get yet another heart surgery during the offseason.

You can be rich, famous, and a star athlete, but if you need 2 heart surgeries by age 31, you're not running all that well in life.

I'll be honest, I would be freaked out going into heart surgery, fearing that one small screwup and I'm not waking up (and I'll never know what happened).

Platinum
    Load Metric
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...surgery-season

Kenley Jansen to get yet another heart surgery during the offseason.

You can be rich, famous, and a star athlete, but if you need 2 heart surgeries by age 31, you're not running all that well in life.

I'll be honest, I would be freaked out going into heart surgery, fearing that one small screwup and I'm not waking up (and I'll never know what happened).
    Well, that is all true except for the fact that there are probably 100 million people in the world with similar heart conditions that will never be diagnosed because they aren't a rich, star athlete and most of them will live their whole lives not even knowing and probably die in their 40-60s of heart disease and the world will think nothing of it.

Load Metric
    If you convert to Christianity, not only will you know what happened but you'll find out all the mysteries of the universe. Just something to consider.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    wrong thread

Thread Information