Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL MLB 2018 Thread ***

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    The Dodgers are in 1st Place?

This false hope followed by their certain collapse isn’t good for Druff’s health.
    First place AND a game ahead in the 2nd wildcard.

The NL is wide open. No real favorites this year, of those likely to make the playoffs.

If the Dodgers do win he World Series, it will feel a little bit cheap -- kinda like how the Giants should have felt in 2014.

Last year a World Series win would have felt much more deserved.

This year, if the champion comes from the NL, it will be a matter of a highly flawed team getting there (no matter which one), and then getting lucky.

Puig picked a good time to get hot. Cardinals didn't see it coming They killed the Dodgers in Dodger Stadium last time, and probably thought it would be a cakewalk.

Now they have Wainwright trying to prevent a 4-game home sweep.
    Don't worry they have literally zero chance of winning the ws

Platinum
    Load Metric
    where the fuck is gut to explain this shit? ramos is on the phillies now...so they have basically 5 position guys who would be considered starting players based on WAR, 3 of them barely so...

Name:  tb.PNG
Views: 279
Size:  108.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sanlmar, what say you about the Dodgers now?

They came into St. Louis -- their main wildcard competition -- and took 3 of 4.

They are playing a 3-game series against the Rockies at home which will probably determine who wins the NL West. They blew out the Rockies in the first game, and Chris Taylor walked it off in the 10th tonight.

Now the Dodgers are 1.5 games in first place, and are sending Walker Buehler to the mound tomorrow, who might just be their legitimate #2 starter at this point (in addition to their star pitcher of the 2020s).

Matt Kemp literally broke the Diamondbacks. The D-backs were in Dodger Stadium a few weeks ago for a 4-game series. They won the first, and were on the way to winning the 2nd when Matt Kemp's late inning heroics gave the Dodgers the win. Next night, same thing -- identical score, identical pitcher (Archie Bradley), and identical late inning hero (Kemp). This sent the D-backs on a tailspin from which they've never recovered. They're 4-14 since winning that first game of the series against the Dodgers, and went from leading the Dodgers by 1.5 games to trailing them by 6.

If the Dodgers can hold first, they will play the Braves in the NLDS -- the same Braves who have lost 4 straight and are looking pretty bad. And the Dodgers lead them by 0.5 games at the moment for the better record.

Another Dodgers/Cubs NLCS? It's starting to look like it.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Some bulldyke lesbian just pulled a Steve Bartman in Oakland.

Robbed the 2nd out of the 6th inning with the bases loaded, and the A's up 4-1, and when it was all over, the Angels were up 7-4.

GET IT OUT NOW, BEFORE THE WILD CARD GAME OAKLAND

::happy thoughts::

Load Metric
    I just figured out Druff’s health has a direct correlation with the Dodgers record.

Druff fess up do you have a large wager on them?

Or your body depends on them making the playoffs?

Load Metric
    Last night was enormous for Dodgers and revealed the futility for the Rockies without a healthy Arenado & Story on offense and defense.

Arenado threw the game away. His shoulder isn’t right. He also looks helpless at the plate.

Game should have ended Rockies 2-1 but Arenado was revealed as damaged.

A lucky break for Dodgers.

Maeda looks great in the bullpen. Totally impressed and lord knows Dodgers desperately needed any improvement. Nothing short of a warrior in light of the millions the Dodgers are screwing him out of because he has to backfill the Dodgers front office dereliction with regard to relievers.

Maeda will probably have to close in spots. Is that really how you plan to spend October?

The Braves were projected to be 72-76 and like the Yankees last year they are ahead of schedule. Unlike the 2017 Yankees it’s all offense and pitching is just okay.

The Dodgers are catching some huge breaks from their opponents and will gain a ticket to the post season. It’s fun cause it’s a race. Suspend the reality that none of the NL are particularly healthy or powerful and enjoy the competition. I am.

The NL is a pleasant diversion while the AL spends weeks preparing for the playoffs.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-19-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think people are forgetting that the MLB playoffs are somewhat of a crapshoot.

It's not like the NBA, where usually the best team in each conference makes it to the Finals.

In MLB, a lot of it comes from luck and which team happens to be hotter at the moment.

No doubt the AL will have the advantage this year, but it's not like this year's NBA Finals where everyone knew the Warriors would win.

The NL is interesting because there is no dominant team, yet one of them is going to emerge as league champion.

The AL has two dominant teams, and that number would be three if Judge were back (and at full strength).

Dodgers should be an NLDS favorite against the Braves, provided the Dodgers hold onto the west.

Load Metric
    Home field for the cubs

Load Metric
    I think people are forgetting that the MLB playoffs are somewhat of a crapshoot.

It's not like the NBA, where usually the best team in each conference makes it to the Finals.

In MLB, a lot of it comes from luck and which team happens to be hotter at the moment.

No doubt the AL will have the advantage this year, but it's not like this year's NBA Finals where everyone knew the Warriors would win.

The NL is interesting because there is no dominant team, yet one of them is going to emerge as league champion.

The AL has two dominant teams, and that number would be three if Judge were back (and at full strength).

Dodgers should be an NLDS favorite against the Braves, provided the Dodgers hold onto the west.
    Maybe you’re talking about MLB having more parity. I doubt it. I smell a recurrent theme you trot out in the post season.

We go through the same remedial lesson every year.

Look, if religion and ascribing luck to things you don’t understand offers you some kind of peace in a complicated world, I understand.

I think I will reduce this issue to a simplicity that will be accessible to you.

Look at 20 years of World Series matchups. The same names appear in consecutive years etc etc. This isn’t roulette or a poker flop.

I kinda became aware of your odd perception of reality during the Royals V Dodgers feud nobly fought by Sizzle. Boom. KC back to back in the Series.

You feel me?

Honestly, without hope what is the point? Your happiness is important to me. Just don’t get silly. Look, I said I’m entertained by the NL race.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-19-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Load Metric

They came into St. Louis -- their main wildcard competition -- and took 3 of 4.

They are playing a 3-game series against the Rockies at home which will probably determine who wins the NL West. They blew out the Rockies in the first game, and Chris Taylor walked it off in the 10th tonight.

Now the Dodgers are 1.5 games in first place, and are sending [B]Walker Buehler to the mound tomorrow, who might just be their legitimate #2 starter[/Br at this point (in addition to their star pitcher of the 2020s)..
    you just couldn't wait could you? had to go jinx things by shooting you mouth off...tonight first 3 Rockies up reach to load the bases...2 runs scored on two out single....

listen Druff Bartman, no more Dodger posts (or radio show mention) until after the World Series

***update***somehow the dodgers overcame DruffBart's jinx to win tonight...but the caution still stands, mum up
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 09-19-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    where the fuck is gut to explain this shit? ramos is on the phillies now...so they have basically 5 position guys who would be considered starting players based on WAR, 3 of them barely so...

I still can't get over the fact that Blake Snell looks like a cancer patient and he will probably win the cy young this year.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I still can't get over the fact that Blake Snell looks like a cancer patient and he will probably win the cy young this year.
    lol I didn't even notice that...6'4/200?!?!? that seems optimistic...

and youre killing me gut, I thought you were gonna be able to explain this shit to me cause I sure as shit have no clue what is going on...I could see if they were the 6th team in the AL central...I mean I guess they got to beat the shit outta Baltimore but that's only like 18 games or something...

Load Metric

and youre killing me gut, I thought you were gonna be able to explain this shit to me cause I sure as shit have no clue what is going on...I could see if they were the 6th team in the AL central...I mean I guess they got to beat the shit outta Baltimore but that's only like 18 games or something...
    I mean, its actually not that crazy. They havent been lucky like the Mariners, I think BsR has them as like the 4th best team in baseball. Theyre like 3rd in OBP, and 3rd in ERA....thats pretty damn good.

The WAR is just because theyve had such roster churn that only a few players have even played 100 games with them. If you add up all the positions throughout the year, theyre all 2-3 win spots. Span was around 1 win, he got traded away, they acquire Pham later and he's a 1 win guy after only 30 games there. It all adds up. Only Gomez and Bauers have been significant negatives, and still not horrible compared to most teams "worst" regulars.

Also Ramos 2 wins are still included, that shows only the games he played with Tampa before being traded.

Platinum
    Load Metric

I mean, its actually not that crazy. They havent been lucky like the Mariners, I think BsR has them as like the 4th best team in baseball. Theyre like 3rd in OBP, and 3rd in ERA....thats pretty damn good.

The WAR is just because theyve had such roster churn that only a few players have even played 100 games with them. If you add up all the positions throughout the year, theyre all 2-3 win spots. Span was around 1 win, he got traded away, they acquire Pham later and he's a 1 win guy after only 30 games there. It all adds up. Only Gomez and Bauers have been significant negatives, and still not horrible compared to most teams "worst" regulars.

Also Ramos 2 wins are still included, that shows only the games he played with Tampa before being traded.
    yeah but that's the thing...im too lazy to add up all their guys based on position, but if they add up to 2 wins (or a little above) per position then they're basically winning 90 games in the 2nd toughest (AL West tougher??) division in baseball with a bunch of AAAA guys...I know they're gonna have some everyday positions that are 3+ win positions, but would guess that most are going to settle in around that 2 win mark, which is just stunning...

Load Metric

yeah but that's the thing...im too lazy to add up all their guys based on position, but if they add up to 2 wins (or a little above) per position then they're basically winning 90 games in the 2nd toughest (AL West tougher??) division in baseball with a bunch of AAAA guys...I know they're gonna have some everyday positions that are 3+ win positions, but would guess that most are going to settle in around that 2 win mark, which is just stunning...
    well, a 2-win player in WAR is basically a decent starter.

WAR obviously isnt a perfect stat, but IIRC it goes that (with a full season sample size) 0 WAR is your AAAA/replacement level guy, 1-2 a bench guy, 2-4 a quality starter, 4-6 a star player, 6+ an all-star/superstar level guy.

Platinum
    Load Metric

well, a 2-win player in WAR is basically a decent starter.

WAR obviously isnt a perfect stat, but IIRC it goes that (with a full season sample size) 0 WAR is your AAAA/replacement level guy, 1-2 a bench guy, 2-4 a quality starter, 4-6 a star player, 6+ an all-star/superstar level guy.
    gotcha, was just using baseball reference's definitions...they say 0-2 is reserve, 2+ is starter...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Buehler really looked great last night against the Brewers in the 1-0 Dodgers loss.

So I’d like to pose a serious question:

Who would you pitch on the day of the wildcard if it were played today. Buehler or Kershaw? You have been granted immunity from me on this.
    From back in July. Of course, my question scared Druff.

Assuming the Dodgers lock up the goat rodeo in the NL and face the Braves - who do you pitch in game one if you are the Dodgers?

You KNOW the Dodgers start Kershaw.

Mishandling Buehler will be classic Dodgers. The decision will be political and arrived at out of fear. If your best pitcher (Buehler) loses game one and you didn’t pitch Kershaw can the front office survive that? Sprinkle a bit of Kershaw contract negotiation into the flawed decision making.

Definitely want to go with the seasoned playoff veteran. LO fucking L

Buehler is a fearless animal. Baby faced kid. He will bust you inside repeatedly. Kid has the make up Kershaw never found.

Seeing Pedro Martinez gush about Buehler and make comparisons to himself is something I gotta respect.

This prospect of the next Dodger playoff fuckup has turned my frown upside down. No words. I am the boss.

Maeda is huge and will have Andrew Miller-like importance. Even I can’t spin this.

Can you believe Milwaukee is poised to be the scary monster under your bed?
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-21-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Getting a little nervous about dodgers making playoffs. They are playing good, but they have some tough games against motivated opponents in Az and San FrAn where it would make their season to knock the dodgers out of the playoffs.

Rockies on the other hand are playing the Phillies who have already rolled over and died and the Nationals; who don’t give a fuck about the Rockies or this last week one way or the other.

Dodgers are gonna have to win their games and the Rockies are gonna be handed theirs against opponents who DGAF. Gonna be tough to hold on.

As I type this dodgers in a 2-2 dogfight in the bottom of the 7th with Az and Rockies are closing out their 2nd double digit win in a row against the hapless Phillies. It is what it is.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    Home field for the cubs

Load Metric
    bigdick & verm may both have to endure the nightmare of game 163 Monday

Justin Turner has been a train wreck at third for a while.

Wow, Giants skip Bumgarner’s scheduled start tomorrow so he can face Ryu Friday.

The Giants want to do damage.

Why, oh why can’t we have Kershaw v Bumgarner? Push Bum back to Saturday.

In related news, Bumgarner asked to pinch hit tonight and produces a walk off Hit
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 09-25-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Thread Information