Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs/videos which were okay at the time but would be highly inappropriate today

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Songs/videos which were okay at the time but would be highly inappropriate today

Since bottomset thinks this forum is collapsing, it's time for another clickbait-type thread. Enjoy!

I'll get a few started off here. Feel free to contribute your own:

Into the Night - Benny Mardones (1980/1989)

This might be the creepiest song/video combination of all time. 34-year-old Mardones, who already kind of looks like a pedophile, sings about his obsession with a 16-year-old girl. The video shows the girl's father telling Mardones to "leave her alone", but instead Mardones proceeds to sneak into her room, take her away on a magic carpet, make out with her in the sky, and presumably do much more after the camera pans away.

Another strange thing about thing song was that it somehow got revived nine years later in 1989, simply because Los Angeles DJ Scott Shannon started playing the song in his "Where Are They Now?" segment, and that sent it back into the top 20 for another 17 weeks.

Lou Reed - Take a Walk on the Wild Side (1972)

This song had everything -- obvious lyrics about oral sex, male prostitution, and transsexuals. Even the chorus had a line which went, "And the colored girls go doot doot doot doot, doot doot doot", followed by colored girls doing exactly that.

It received mainstream airplay despite all of the above.

Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime (1970)

While the video featured probably the most obnoxious mutton chops seen on television, this song encourages both drunk driving ("have a drink, have a drive") and sexual assault of girls from poorer areas ("If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal. If her daddy's poor, just do what you feel!")

The song was even protested at the time both by Mothers Against Drunk Driving and the National Organization for Women. But it still got plenty of airplay, and most people dismissed those lyrics as harmless.

Oingo Boingo - Little Girls (1981)

"I like little girls, they make me feel so good" and "Uh oh, I'm in trouble" would seem to be lyrics indicating support for pedophilia, but singer/songwriter Danny Elfman has made various excuses over the years that it isn't what it appears to be.

At one point, Elfman said it was satirical about older, sophisticated men who like surrounding themselves with very young trophy girlfriends. At another point, he claimed it was about his own girlfriend, who while a legal adult, was very physically small.

I believe that Elfman was just trying to be outrageous, which he did two other times in his "Only a Lad" album in 1981. Those songs included "Only a Lad" (mocking liberals being soft on crime committed by inner-city teenagers) and "Capitalism" (mocking spoiled college students protesting capitalism).

Fountains of Wayne - Stacy's Mom (2003)

The song was already questionable -- clearly about a teenage boy rejecting his girlfriend in favor of lusting after her single mom. However, the song itself seemed to be presenting a harmless fantasy of a teenage boy, and his advances are seemingly not returned by Stacys mom.

The video, however, is a different story. The boy featured looks about 14, as does his girlfriend "Stacy". However, the video clearly tries to sexualize Stacy herself, dressing her in skimpy outfits and engaging in seductive behavior, all of which the young teenage protagonist ignores because he's lusting after her mom. However, contrary to the song lyrics. Stacy's mom is shown clearly flirting with the boy, in various stages of undress, and at one point does a striptease for him.

The video ends with Stacy catching her 14-year-old boyfriend jerking off in the bathroom. Seriously.

With all the female teachers getting busted these days for sex with teenagers, there's no way this video would fly in 2018.

Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday Sweet 16 (1961)

Sedaka was 22 himself when this was released, and he was supposed to be that age in the lyrics themselves. Neil sings about a girl finally turning 16, so he can finally date her, after watching her "grow up before my very eyes".

Creepy.

Check out this American Bandstand appearance, where Dick Clark inappropriately ogles the tights on a teenage girl in the audience, and asks her about them.

In Sedaka's defense, people got married young in those days, and it wasn't considered all that inappropriate for a 16-year-old to date men in their early 20s.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Any song about children or making insults at homosexuals.

Words that are racist have always been considered politically incorrect just maybe not to the masses like they are today compared to even 10 to 20 years ago.

Load Metric

Red face

Haven’t you heard? This classic is now considered by the socially woke as quite rapey. Or so they say.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Cubic Zirconia Reuben Hr. Klitz's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Sure there are more of his songs that could'nt be played today...But this one sticks out.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I actually heard this on the radio the other day

Silver
    Load Metric
    Older creepy guy pretends to make music and dance while hitting on a much younger girl and smoking weed. Oh wait, this was just from a few years ago.

Load Metric
    Off the top of my head, of heavily played on the radio songs, that Short People song would never fly. Be little people suing out the ass on that one.

Load Metric

"tell me more tell me more, did she put up a fight?"
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Any song about children or making insults at homosexuals.

Words that are racist have always been considered politically incorrect just maybe not to the masses like they are today compared to even 10 to 20 years ago.

I used to leave this one on my buddy’s answering machine whenever I’d get really drunk back in the days of answering machines. I’m easily amused. Don’t really recall it being a radio staple though.

Load Metric
    Third eye blind- Semi charmed kind of life

Basically a song about a girl using a guy for his drugs turned into a chart topping summer rock/pop hit.

I was kind of astonished this was big at the time. Definitely a song where people only heard the beat and had no idea what the song was about at all.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Greatest diss track of all time. It has it all. Misogyny. Homophobia. Anti-semitism. Lynch references. What is there not to like?

Comments

SchoenfeldsJawMuscles: classic

Platinum
    Load Metric

Back in the day all the sluts in the club would jump onto the dance floor and sing along whenever this song came on. Good times.

Load Metric
    A song about a date rape drug.

HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    including counter culture songs in a list of period-transgressive music seems to miss the point.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
    Sold in the market down in New Orleans
    Scarred old slaver knows he's doin' all right
    Hear him whip the women just around midnight
    Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good
    Brown Sugar, just like a young girl should

HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    White girls they're pretty funny
    Sometimes they drive me mad
    Black girls just wanna get fucked all night
    I just don't have that much jam
    Chinese girls are so gentle
    They're really such a tease
    You never know quite what they're cookin'
    Inside those silky sleeves

This one got a rebuke from Jesse Jackson.

HILLARY WON

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I think that version may have been neutered. I didn't hear the white/black girls lyrics. Heard the Chinese girl ones.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I think that version may have been neutered. I didn't hear the white/black girls lyrics. Heard the Chinese girl ones.
    Not sure didn't listen all the way through but those are the album lyrics.
    HILLARY WON

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Ummm like every rap song after NWA got done paving the road. Although back in the day it was all about the M16 and not AR15 but its pretty much the same. Even the softest seeming rappers had gun songs. I bet I could find a fucking Chingy gun song.

Edit: Chingy verse at 1:56 .... I think it's good so don't think I would ever talk shit about Chingy or anyone featured with Luda besides I-20.

Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 03-21-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Load Metric

Thread Information