Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedestrian Donked Down by Uber Self Driving Car in AZ

Load Metric
    I was firmly convinced that Tesla auto pilot was at least 10x safer than the average driver.
    Exactly this.

I would much prefer an environment where we are all in self driving cars. Eventually those cars will drive better than the best possible human drivers....and you don't have to worry about the other idiots on the road.

Druff you are a risk averse person. If your chance of dying in an automobile accident go down due to autonomous cars....isn't it better for you?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    I was firmly convinced that Tesla auto pilot was at least 10x safer than the average driver.
    Exactly this.

I would much prefer an environment where we are all in self driving cars. Eventually those cars will drive better than the best possible human drivers....and you don't have to worry about the other idiots on the road.

Druff you are a risk averse person. If your chance of dying in an automobile accident go down due to autonomous cars....isn't it better for you?

After the test drive, I was online ready to order a Tesla S, and I stopped myself based on the fact that I had already made the mistake of buying a 100k car and have felt very foolish about the size of the purchase. The car is long gone, but I can assure you that as soon as someone enters the market with a self driving car that is in the 50k range, I will be first in line to trade in my 6 year old Prius.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Exactly this.

After the test drive, I was online ready to order a Tesla S, and I stopped myself based on the fact that I had already made the mistake of buying a 100k car and have felt very foolish about the size of the purchase. The car is long gone, but I can assure you that as soon as someone enters the market with a self driving car that is in the 50k range, I will be first in line to trade in my 6 year old Prius.

i think i saw low-end teslas in the 60k range but maybe i dreamed it...

my only concern with teslas is they have manufacturing issues. like the people i know who own teslas all live in LA and are all worth mid 8 figures. i dont recall ever even seeing one on the east coast. like perhaps unfairly i consider them warm-weather cars at this point, i feel like the potholes and road salt and weather extremes would obliterate my tesla in weeks here.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

i think i saw low-end teslas in the 60k range but maybe i dreamed it...

my only concern with teslas is they have manufacturing issues. like the people i know who own teslas all live in LA and are all worth mid 8 figures. i dont recall ever even seeing one on the east coast. like perhaps unfairly i consider them warm-weather cars at this point, i feel like the potholes and road salt and weather extremes would obliterate my tesla in weeks here.
    The Tesla 3 with Auto pilot will be around 60k out the door, but if you started today, you wouldn't have a car a year from now. I am pretty sure that I will eventually own an electric car, but right now my life is spread out, and i have to make too many long road trips for it to be practical.

Comments

sonatine: ahhh gotcha

Load Metric
    Meh. Companies failed miserably several times tryimg to lay a transatlantic telegraph cable before doing so successfully. And a number of workers died building Hoover Dam. Meaning, great leaps forward are likely to result in some failures and casualties along the way.

Name:  7706ADBD-536D-4DE8-ADFB-73DA0F5C4EE8.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  73.2 KB
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Meh. Companies failed miserably several times tryimg to lay a transatlantic telegraph cable before doing so successfully. And a number of workers died building Hoover Dam. Meaning, great leaps forward are likely to result in some failures and casualties along the way.

The Hoover Dam didnt kill people riding their bike next to it.

Everyone knows 'you gotta break some eggs to make an omlette' and no one expects self driving technology to not be responsible for some casualties.

But the operative assumption is that it will choose the path of least lethality, eg if it has to choose between swerving to drive up onto a populated curb or hurt and possibly kill someone who put themselves in danger, its going with the latter (this control is burnt into it deliberately and has been since day 1).

So yeah again if this dead bicyclist was a citizen out embracing a healthy lifestyle then Uber just set back the whole fucking industry like 5 to 10 years.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Sympathy green not realizing that I was joking.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric

Everyone knows 'you gotta break some eggs to make an omlette' and no one expects self driving technology to not be responsible for some casualties.

But the operative assumption is that it will choose the path of least lethality, eg if it has to choose between swerving to drive up onto a populated curb or hurt and possibly kill someone who put themselves in danger, its going with the latter (this control is burnt into it deliberately and has been since day 1).

So yeah again if this dead bicyclist was a citizen out embracing a healthy lifestyle then Uber just set back the whole fucking industry like 5 to 10 years.
    Well, it has been reported it was a homeless person. And it has been reported the person operating the car also has some criminal history. So it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to pin this all on the humans involved and move on.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Well? That makes it okay. Right?

Load Metric
    Again just waiting on a voice of actual authority to analyze the data and make a ruling. Remember; this is the same forum that declared Philando Castile was a drug addled gang member lunging for his weapon.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    From what I gather the self driving car is not at fault

Comments

MumblesBadly: Death by auto-Uber? Is that a thing now?

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Seen several reports on the local news here in Phoenix.. At no time was there a mention she was walking her bike on the local news. It did however say she was in the middle of the block j walking away from the crosswalk.. She was literally standing in the middle of the fucking road and then got smashed as she tried to cross the northbound lanes.. My honest guess was she was either drunk or on drugs.. (she was tagged for drug possession in 2017). Also while the vehicle was operating in autonomous mode the Uber employee was not in the back as somebody speculated he was indeed riding in the drivers seat and its appearing she either didn't look at all before she stepped off the double yellow line (literally in the middle of the road she was lucky she wasn't hit sooner) and got smashed by the Uber going 40 (speed limit is 45 in the area).

In 2017 there was an accident involving a self driving Uber but the other car operated by a regular driver was deemed to be at fault not the Uber or its monitor/operator.. My guess is this is going to end up the same way.. Hard to dodge somebody when they step out right in front of you and not enough time to react..
    I haven't read an article that doesn't include that but out of curiosity I looked up what the biggest paper was in Phoenix and it's right in the second paragraph.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...mpe/438256002/

But honestly who really cares since she was homeless. To me the specific details to the story that will be changed and talked to death are nothing. This is just a precursor for what is to come. It's only a matter of time before some ISIS nigga hacks a self driving car and sends it to do some parkin lot gimpin at some Central Time Zone State Fair or brings new meaning to Fly Eagles Fly at the tailgate area of a school sporting event. It will basically break FOX NEWS. And it wouldn't be small potatoes over at CNN if it happens in some Pacific Time Zone farmers market. This Tempe story will be cited as a reason that these robot cars shouldn't have been on the road.

#goreshadowing

Load Metric
    Ive been in one of these!!

I jerked off in the back seat the whole way to a Residential Neighborhood.. I never had a clue that there was no driver .

Let me tell you the robot car drove way better then Shannon whos car stunk like weed so much I ask her to stop at the local McDonalds cuz I had the munchies and needed to use there wifi so i could post here.

She obliged and we ended up at a hotel somewhere?

And gave each other both 5 stars in the end.

Uber its more then just a ride.

Comments

MumblesBadly: 5 star rating rep
    Last edited by badguy23; 03-20-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Load Metric

Seriously? *One* person killed accidentally? The whole industry? This is a technology that will eventually bring huge savings and safety to surface transportation that will make the savings and safety of current aviation autonavigation seem like the odd Sunday church bingo winnings. We’re not going to be stupid and let the Koreans or Japanese overtake us because of a single accident, regardless of how wholesome and healhly the person might have been.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Seriously? *One* person killed accidentally? The whole industry? This is a technology that will eventually bring huge savings and safety to surface transportation that will make the savings and safety of current aviation autonavigation seem like the odd Sunday church bingo winnings. We’re not going to be stupid and let the Koreans or Japanese overtake us because of a single accident, regardless of how wholesome and healhly the person might have been.
    I think you underestimate how litigious our society is. You think all the legions of lawyers are going to let episodes like this go for the good of the country? Hell no, they are gonna drag it out as long as they can to extract the most for themselves. That is just how our society works.

Comments

Tellafriend: to be fair, mumbles really is that stupid

Load Metric
    So obv the person is at fault, however this accident cost the industry multiple billions of dollars and delayed the real implementation of this for years. It's unfortunate but was bound to happen. This one accident literally cost investors and Softbank soooooo much money...

Comments

jsearles22: Pretentious
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by handicapme View Post
    So obv the person is at fault, however this accident cost the industry multiple billions of dollars and delayed the real implementation of this for years. It's unfortunate but was bound to happen. This one accident literally cost investors and Softbank soooooo much money...
    If the investors didn’t factor in the likelihood of such incidents occuring, they deserve to lose money for being overconfident. And most likely affected the estimate of the best case of when it would implemented. Unless a material unforeseen technological issue that severely cripples the likelihood of success is discovered, these kinds of accidents and their litigous outcomes are to be expected by reasonable investors.

Comments

jsearles22: Rare mumbles green

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Driverless transit, driverless delivery vehicles, driverless truck transport. Jobs out the window.
    Uber is available in only a handful of Canadian cities and that's the Uber that still employs people.
    I hope these automated vehicles are jacked left and right and are prohibited from
    crushing the economy further.

Load Metric
    footage of accident:

absolutely no one understands what went wrong.

fucking... uber.

there is exactly no excuse for what can only be described as a complete technical failure. those sensors should work at night, the car didnt even seem to slow down.

i mean look, 99 out of 100 cards would kill that woman in that exact spot but the uber still should have avoided hitting her or at least noticed her in time to take some sort of evasive action.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    LOL OMG did you guys see the shabby clothes that bum was wearing??

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    LOL OMG did you guys see the shabby clothes that bum was wearing??
    What kind of fucking beast was in the car? Man? Woman? Holy shit
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Thread Information