Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest police excessive force controversy: Tulare, CA

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Latest police excessive force controversy: Tulare, CA

http://abc30.com/tulare-police-shoot...chase/3207780/

Police in Tulare, CA (near Fresno) got a call that a man was attacking a bus driver.

They found their suspect, and he started attempting to fight them. They attempted to tase him, and it seemed to have no effect (probably the guy was on drugs). They also tried pepper spray, again without much effect.

Finally, one or both officers pulled out their weapons and shot him dead.

The guy did not appear to have a weapon at any point.

It does appear that the police simply got tired of dealing with him being crazy and combative, and blew him away. I'm guessing they will claim that he reached for their weapon, but that's probably not what happened. Unfortunately, the only known video if it was obstructed by a vehicle at the most critical moment.

Police probably overused force here, and I would support charges against them if the facts reveal an unjustified shooting.

However, I don't really feel too bad for the guy. He was clearly a danger to society, attacking both a bus driver and the police. Honestly society is better off without someone like the "victim" running around the streets. I do agree, though, that this doesn't justify shooting him when he doesn't appear to have a weapon. Police could have called for backup if he was too much to handle.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here is a social media post about the victim, Jontell Reedom (misspelled in the below screen shot).

I believe it was from a family member. LOL at the part where it says, "You were not a violent person."

Um, apparently, yes he was. That's part of the reason why he's dead.

Here is a page from 2009 regarding Jontell's high school football stats: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jont...ball-stats.htm

He graduated 9 years ago, so presumably he was 26-27.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Listening to the audio of the cell phone video, they say, "He took it away from him", and "He took away the baton", so I'm guessing that will be the defense.

Jontell likely grabbed the cop's baton and was going to attack them with it, and they shot him.

That actually changes things, if true.

If a crazed man has the cop's baton and is about to start wailing on them with it, then shooting the guy is a lot more justified.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW this hasn't hit mass social media yet, so perhaps this won't go anywhere.

Right now it's being shared in some circles, but it's by no means a big story at this point.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In general, I have very little sympathy for the "victim" in situations where a guy attacks the police, and then gets killed or seriously hurt in response.

Simple answer to this: Don't ever attack the police.

Anyone willing to attack the police is very likely to hurt a non-police citizen sometime in the near future, so I don't exactly cry when I hear they've been killed.

Load Metric
    he might have taken his gun next, clean shoot.

Load Metric
    Unjustified, sure he was combative and resisting but that's murder in my opinion.

Load Metric
    The Chico loco commentary is Priceless.

Load Metric
    fighting that guy is like fighting a silverback you gotta put some lead in him to bring him down

Comments

thesparten: Your a racist with a callous covered anus

AhoosierA: Harambe rep. RIP

Load Metric
    why fight the cops? why not just get on the ground and spend the a day or two in jail instead of punching a cop and then taking away his baton? Takes a lotta balls to swing on a cop and a clear disregard for the law

Load Metric
    I like how Druff rationalizes the outright killing of mentally ill people if they get violent during one of their episodes. Reminds me of how Nazi Germany used to deal with people who didn’t comply with authority.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    In general, I have very little sympathy for the "victim" in situations where a guy attacks the police, and then gets killed or seriously hurt in response.

Simple answer to this: Don't ever attack the police.

Anyone willing to attack the police is very likely to hurt a non-police citizen sometime in the near future, so I don't exactly cry when I hear they've been killed.
    To be honest , im more old school..

U never shoot an unarmed man unless its absolutly to directly save your life or the life of another..

Niether was met here..

They will get away with it thanks to the grabbing of the batton..

They should have juat called for back up and taken him down. Police should not kill a person in crisis over expediancy..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by big dick View Post
    why fight the cops? why not just get on the ground and spend the a day or two in jail instead of punching a cop and then taking away his baton? Takes a lotta balls to swing on a cop and a clear disregard for the law
    As a younger man i have run from the cops on occasion.

Didnt want to spend the night at central booking, had better shit to do.

But if the cop actually cought me , i would have givin up and expected a couple of lumps for making him work. Thats kinda the deal a round here.

I ran over a couple of back yard fences then up the stairs to a building roof and pretended to be invisible while i slowed my breathing with my eyes shut hiding behind an exaust vent...

I dont know if i had the ability to actually turn myself invisible but something worked.

Load Metric
    the weather is warming up so i'm looking forward to a summer of riots -- which will solidify the repubs for 2018.

Comments

Muck Ficon: LOL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    the weather is warming up so i'm looking forward to a summer of riots -- which will solidify the repubs for 2018.
    so you're trying to start riots by bombing ppl in Austin. smooth move.

Name:  fairy tales.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  14.9 KB
    “I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.”
    Stephen Hawking

Load Metric
    He was a n-word.

Looks justified to me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    He was a n-word.

Looks justified to me.

Looks like black cops so probably barely make the news. As it should.

How about dont fight with the police? I have been pulled over before when a cop fucked up. I didnt try to be a hero and have a full jury trial on the side of the road.

Comments

herbertstemple: I missed that part rep.
    "It just goes to show the kind of person you are , I got no toe"

Load Metric
    Not the same situation, but I got pulled over the other night for doing 80+ in a 55 while passing on a solid line at around 1 in the morning. What did I do? I as a 41 year old man said "yes sir" and "no sir" to a kid that looked to be 23 at the oldest. I'm here to post this today and said negro who resisted is not.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've had a few negative incidents with police pulling me over during my lifetime, though all were in my 20s. In all cases, I just kept calm and de-escalated the situation.

The worst was in Riverside, CA, in a strip mall, where I accidentally cut off a cop.

He immediately pulled me over, and of course my first thought was, "Fuck, I'm getting a ticket."

Well, since Riverside was full of young druggies, he assumed I was one of them, given that I was 22-23 years old at the time, and he thought I was driving erratically to have cut him off. (In reality, I just didn't see him, partially because it was at night.)

He started yelling at me that he knew I was on drugs, that I needed to admit it to him right now, that he knew what a druggie looked like, etc. I kept repeating to him that I never do drugs, and that I simply didn't see him when I cut him off. He kept yelling at me that he knew the truth, and that he was getting pissed I was lying to him.

He then told me that he wanted to search my car for drugs. I could have told him no, but I figured I had nothing to hide, and wanted this overwith quickly, so I told him he could. To my surprise, he then cuffed me and sat me down on the curb, telling me the cuffs were for "both of our safeties".

He searched the car and found nothing, and suddenly it dawned on him that he fucked up, and was possibly going to face discipline for abusing an innocent kid over a minor traffic violation.

He took the cuffs off and, rather than apologize, said, "Well, I didn't find any drugs, but you better be careful while you're driving, or next time I'm really giving you that ticket!"

He stormed away.

In the heat of the moment, I actually thought I was fortunate to have avoided getting a ticket.

Then right after he was gone, I realized he didn't ticket me because he didn't want me complaining to his superiors. I should have gotten his name when this was over (even surreptitiously if I didn't want him to ticket me after asking), and then reported him. The guy was a complete prick, and totally overstepped his authority.

But never once did I consider escalating the situation or making it worse. I kept calm, kept assuring him repeatedly that I never do drugs, and also kept apologizing for having cut him off, even though I thought he was a complete asshole and didn't deserve any apologies.

The problem is that too many people these days believe that they have a right to fight the police if they aren't being treated in the manner they like, and they turn it into a pissing contest -- one which they will almost always lose.

I respect that the police have a very tough job to do, and they deal with the worst of the worst of society on a daily basis. I try to keep that in mind when dealing with them myself, even if at times certain bad-apple or over-stressed officers don't treat me the way they should. I figure that the least I can do as a citizen is to avoid escalating any problem, and then complain later if I feel the situation warrants it. And yes, I understand that these complaints often go nowhere, as police tend to protect one another, but that's still a better option than trying to fight and putting yourself in extreme danger.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Good to be white in this spot, be honest

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Hopefully before I die I get to see UN troops from China and Russia as the police here.

Thread Information