Thread: End of slow loading times for huge threads?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

End of slow loading times for huge threads?

Tonight I decided to tackle the problem of slooooooooooooooooow loading times for the very long threads on this forum.

Most notably, the Trump thread (over 1400 pages) and Flying Stupidity Wagering Thread (over 750 pages) were quite slow to load initially.

I say "initially" because they greatly speed up once you load a page on them, but the initial click on the thread is very slow.

I determined the slowness was occurring right after first establishing the database connection to read the thread (something you're doing by clicking on it), but it was performing fine as long as you still maintained that same connection (meaning you were semi-actively scrolling between pages).

I have adjusted some server variables which I think might help. My initial tests showed them both loading significantly faster, but there also seems to be some natural variance in loading times, so I'm not sure how much it helped.

Please post your findings in this thread. If you're noticing it loading faster for you now, please let me know. If it's just as slow, please also let me know If it's a mixed bag, again, please let me know.

Basically I want to know if loading time is acceptable now, or if it's still causing a tilting wait of several seconds to load the threads.

Again, this only applies to threads with hundreds of pages (over 10,000 posts, typically). Shorter and medium threads were already loading quickly.

Also please post any new database error messages you are seeing, if such a thing is happening (I don't think it will happen, but if it does, please take a screen shot and post here).

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ugh, still slow.

Time to play with the values some more.

Load Metric
    I’ve never noticed it tbh and I peruse those threads frequently, but I primarily browse site on phone or device, rarely desktop or laptop. I know nothing about tech, but could be it be an issue on the user’s preferred method of accessing the site rather than a settings issue? Honestly, even during sporadic periods where I don’t have a great signal and other sites are loading slowly, this site always loads instantaneously.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I’ve never noticed it tbh and I peruse those threads frequently, but I primarily browse site on phone or device, rarely desktop or laptop. I know nothing about tech, but could be it be an issue on the user’s preferred method of accessing the site rather than a settings issue? Honestly, even during sporadic periods where I don’t have a great signal and other sites are loading slowly, this site always loads instantaneously.
    Same here, never noticed. Everything opens instantly... but I am on a pretty good fiber connection.

Load Metric
    Yup, instantly. You got to pay more to get out of the dial up.

Comments

hongkonger: dial up a big glass of shut the fuck up

Load Metric
    It has gotten significantly quicker.

I thought the lag/problem was from my end & my shitty little ASUS notebook I use.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Definitely improved speed.

Not as fast as 2p2 though.

Load Metric
    A solution where there was no problem - in my experience.

I usually click on last post and work back. I have never once in 5 years thought it was slow.

I am Apple FWIW.

As an aside, I have never felt the need to use Tap-a-talk. Why would I? Everything works fine. I imagine this is a tribute to a lot endless tweaking by the PFA support team in the back room.

Maybe I should feel sorry for poor Microsoft people ... but I don’t

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So far, so good, from what I can see.

I think the slowness can occur when the thread hasn't been loaded into system memory at all in awhile, or when there's a lot of users on and multiple threads in memory basically force the cached long thread out of memory.

Maybe that's why I was seeing it more often when loading PFA at odd hours like right now (3am PST).

But it does seem to be improved since I made these adjustments.

If you are noticing an improvement and haven't posted in this thread yet, OR if it still sucks, please post here and let me know.

I'm attempting to make PFA great again.

Load Metric
    What if miners like Salty Aus don’t accept these new changes and want to keep PFA classic?

Will there be a PFA forking debate?

Load Metric
    It's definitely improved. I assume youtube videos were the problem since those were the threads I really noticed it.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    It's slowing again.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Set of Kings cock whatever popped up with the quickness as soon as I got bored enough to click that fucker.

Comments

splitthis:

Thread Information