Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: International Pizza Expo

Load Metric
    both pizzas looked like trash, tbh. too fucking busy

and the crust on both looked borderline inedible, and i don't care how many high priced ingredients you threw on them - you can't put lipstick on a pig

i'd take a good new york slice with pepperoni over those any day of the week

Comments

Neverheeb: yeah pepperoni and xtra cheese

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  pie.gif
Views: 458
Size:  140.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  uno.gif
Views: 434
Size:  196.9 KB

Load Metric
    Hey, hut! I just had some artisan pizza at this place in khalwat’s neck of the woods called Fire Crust. They had this open-faced round brick oven that had flames inside on one side.

Name:  F78A65E9-8700-40B5-BEE5-07884C1B6174.jpeg
Views: 378
Size:  188.0 KB

Their oven is on the left side of this pic.

Name:  71C9C15D-8E64-4ADB-B2D4-434FFD65FF87.jpeg
Views: 357
Size:  129.3 KB

Khalwat: You might have seen this place if traveling on 15 through Henrietta.

Name:  C418CD8D-9C61-420F-8956-E672C4879EE6.jpeg
Views: 394
Size:  89.0 KB

Wondering if this place is just local or a chain.

Comments

SysOp: actually looks really good, imo
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Your face is a chain though

Comments

SysOp: GOT EM

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Hey, hut! I just had some artisan pizza at this place in khalwat’s neck of the woods called Fire Crust. They had this open-faced round brick oven that had flames inside on one side.

Name:  F78A65E9-8700-40B5-BEE5-07884C1B6174.jpeg
Views: 378
Size:  188.0 KB

Name:  71C9C15D-8E64-4ADB-B2D4-434FFD65FF87.jpeg
Views: 357
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  C418CD8D-9C61-420F-8956-E672C4879EE6.jpeg
Views: 394
Size:  89.0 KB

It’s a small chain owned by a larger group from Canada that owns several different concepts. It appears to be a concept similar to Blaze Pizza, Pieology, 800 Degrees, etc... Wood fired, one size, one price, built in front of you like in a Subway or Chipotle. This is the growing trend in the pizza industry.

Load Metric
    I personally hate wood fired pizza. I went to Blaze for the firs time last month given all the rage about it. It was not for me. The place was packed though, and I watched their operation and they definitely have a system down to a science, definitely a Subway concept. My guess is in 5 years they will be the largest pizza chain out there. I looked to see if they had a stock but they are private equity.

To me a pizza is not a pizza unless it can be folded. That is why pizza in NYC is the best. I know there are people that love Chicago deep dish but since you need a knife and fork it is more like lasagna. Don't get me wrong, Chicago pizza is still good but lets face facts it's a distant second to New York City pizza, and when I say second its like one guy finishing a marathon in 3 hours and the other guy finishing in 8 hours, the delta is that large. Chicago deep dish is better than wood fire though.

Have a nice day.

Comments

BiffCo99: Perfect analysis. Nothing beats real NYC pizza

Tellafriend: after eating at Blaze i did the same thing hoping to buy some stock

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Draymond View Post
    I personally hate wood fired pizza. I went to Blaze for the firs time last month given all the rage about it. It was not for me. The place was packed though, and I watched their operation and they definitely have a system down to a science, definitely a Subway concept. My guess is in 5 years they will be the largest pizza chain out there. I looked to see if they had a stock but they are private equity.

To me a pizza is not a pizza unless it can be folded. That is why pizza in NYC is the best. I know there are people that love Chicago deep dish but since you need a knife and fork it is more like lasagna. Don't get me wrong, Chicago pizza is still good but lets face facts it's a distant second to New York City pizza, and when I say second its like one guy finishing a marathon in 3 hours and the other guy finishing in 8 hours, the delta is that large. Chicago deep dish is better than wood fire though.

Have a nice day.
    Blaze is definitely the leader right now in this new "Subway" style pizza category but there are quite a few battling for which one will really breakout nationally. Blaze has about 200 units as does MOD pizza which is a similar concept. Pieology has about 150 units. I think Pizza Rev

Me n' Eds Pizza which is a traditional family style pizzeria based in Central California with about 60 stores has also gotten into this market with an offshoot called Blast 825. I visited their location in San Luis Obispo and was impressed...not so much with the pizza which was good but not great but with the overall concept. They featured 40 beers on tap and they were all self-serve. You give them a credit card and they issue you a bracelet which is required to activate the taps. Every beer has a tablet that describes it and tells you how much it is per ounce. You pour what you want and the bracelet tracks what you pour.

Wood fired pizza isn't for everyone. These new places do a decent job, but they don't come close to some of the real traditional mom and pop wood fired pizza places you can find.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post

Have a nice day.
    Blaze is definitely the leader right now in this new "Subway" style pizza category but there are quite a few battling for which one will really breakout nationally. Blaze has about 200 units as does MOD pizza which is a similar concept. Pieology has about 150 units. I think Pizza Rev

Me n' Eds Pizza which is a traditional family style pizzeria based in Central California with about 60 stores has also gotten into this market with an offshoot called Blast 825. I visited their location in San Luis Obispo and was impressed...not so much with the pizza which was good but not great but with the overall concept. They featured 40 beers on tap and they were all self-serve. You give them a credit card and they issue you a bracelet which is required to activate the taps. Every beer has a tablet that describes it and tells you how much it is per ounce. You pour what you want and the bracelet tracks what you pour.

Wood fired pizza isn't for everyone. These new places do a decent job, but they don't come close to some of the real traditional mom and pop wood fired pizza places you can find.
    I just can't do the wood fire pizza. It's like eating pizza on a charred cracker. But don't get me wrong, obviously many people love it since Blaze is going fucking nuts. I drove by on Friday at a Blaze lunch and it was beyond jammed. I am over 40 years old now, many 20 somethings have never had a New York style pizza so this wood fire cracker crust pizza is all they know. I hate Subway, why? Because I spent several summers as a kid eating subs on the New Jersey boardwalk.

It's kinda like someone saying Outback is the best when they have never been to Smith and Wollensky. You just can't reason with them

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

It’s a small chain owned by a larger group from Canada that owns several different concepts. It appears to be a concept similar to Blaze Pizza, Pieology, 800 Degrees, etc... Wood fired, one size, one price, built in front of you like in a Subway or Chipotle. This is the growing trend in the pizza industry.
    I definitely like how it’s made right in front of me. Came back for late lunch today, and chatted with the owner/manager. LOL at how he said the idea for the layout and use of the oven “came to” him. But he gave away his hand when he confirmed going to the IPE in Vegas.

Name:  F24895A3-94B0-4552-BF3A-C33A02C7CC6F.jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  143.9 KB

Name:  0F39E2CF-1DFA-43CB-9AD5-D755C65195AD.jpeg
Views: 235
Size:  179.2 KB

Name:  9E4D42D8-D53C-47F7-A473-AF05DC72DB64.jpeg
Views: 226
Size:  301.2 KB
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 07-22-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    See that crunchy crust just is inedible to me. By the way Mumbles, stop replying to all the pictures in the thread you dope. It makes the thread too long and unreadable.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Fixed

Muck Ficon: Have another drink

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  robert-deniro-3d-model-obj-ztl-tga.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  31.3 KB

Comments

SysOp: lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  robert-deniro-.png
Views: 210
Size:  184.0 KB

Comments

SysOp: LOL

Load Metric
    Got back from the Pizza Expo on Friday night....

didn't fare as well as we wanted in the competition but was proud of the pizza we made. Our entry was made with smoked bison glazed with a bourbon peach chipotle bbq sauce, topped with smoked gouda, roasted orange peppers and candied jalapenos. It then had a ring of thinly sliced fresh peaches over the top. After baking it was garnished with shaved parmesan, micro arugula, and peach bourbon and balsamic vinegar pearls.

Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    (taken before the pearls were added)

The winning pizza was made with Wagyu Beef. It had a roasted shallot black truffle cheese spread, then topped with fingerling potatoes roasted in duck fat. After baking it received the Waygu beef, cherries, greens and a cherry vanilla balsamic drizzle.
    I am not looking to get into a flame war about your pizza, but those two things look like a flying discus from the Olympics. They just look abnormally dense. That crust on the circumference looks like a lead weight.

Why don't you just make a normal looking pizza, you know thin with a couple meat toppings?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

didn't fare as well as we wanted in the competition but was proud of the pizza we made. Our entry was made with smoked bison glazed with a bourbon peach chipotle bbq sauce, topped with smoked gouda, roasted orange peppers and candied jalapenos. It then had a ring of thinly sliced fresh peaches over the top. After baking it was garnished with shaved parmesan, micro arugula, and peach bourbon and balsamic vinegar pearls.

The winning pizza was made with Wagyu Beef. It had a roasted shallot black truffle cheese spread, then topped with fingerling potatoes roasted in duck fat. After baking it received the Waygu beef, cherries, greens and a cherry vanilla balsamic drizzle.
    I am not looking to get into a flame war about your pizza, but those two things look like a flying discus from the Olympics. They just look abnormally dense. That crust on the circumference looks like a lead weight.

Why don't you just make a normal looking pizza, you know thin with a couple meat toppings?
    Name:  robert-deniro-3d-model-obj-ztl-tga.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  45.1 KB
    Name:  NewYorkSlices.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  37.1 KB
    Name:  bad.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  43.0 KB
    Last edited by limitles; 07-22-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Silver
    Load Metric

Name:  
Views: 
Size:

The pizzas pictured are deep dish pan pizzas, the dough is thick but surprisingly not dense at all. It is light and fluffy. At my shop we offer 3 types of dough .... the deep dish, a Chicago style thin and crispy crust and a traditional hand tossed dough.

After being in the pizza business for so many years I get bored with the same old pizzas. You can get a pepperoni pizza at every pizza place in the world, so while offering the traditional stuff I like to push the envelope a bit. Some people hate it but I have a ton of business because of our “weird” pizzas.

Name:  99E2AC01-48A5-470F-AADB-18BBE61C6182.jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  287.1 KB

This pizza took 2nd place for the Southwest USA AND 5th place overall at the Pizza Expo. It is called The Jalollieberry Popper - a base of Olallieberry chipotle cream cheese, topped with pulled pork, candied jalapeños and jalapeño bacon

Name:  04AA38A1-0972-4135-BF88-6E21AFED2320.jpeg
Views: 280
Size:  2.56 MB

This is one that never made the menu. I was experimenting trying to make a “fish taco” pizza

Name:  05FA1704-C9DB-4177-98F2-E6A19A29741F.jpeg
Views: 303
Size:  2.32 MB

This was a fun one to make. It was our version of a Chicken and Waffles Pizza. This one has hot sauce on it and was called The Bad Mother Clucker. Very popular with the stoner crowd. Also popular with the stoner crowd is a Buffalo Chicken MAC n Cheese pizza we recently introduced.

Name:  814ABF2B-4368-46CE-8F52-73B534AEE2E2.jpeg
Views: 281
Size:  2.14 MB

Our ode to a traditional Chicago hot dog. Mustard, Vienna beef hot dogs , tomatoes , sport peppers, onions, dill pickles, authentic Chicago neon green relish on a poppyseed crust.

Comments

SysOp: id try them all besides the alleged "fish taco" pizza

Thread Information