Thread: The Hateful 8

Load Metric

The Hateful 8

Watched it last night. I'm a big fan of Django Unchained and the other obvious Q. Tarantino movies. There were lots of similarities b/n these movies. Though I enjoyed it, I felt a little unsatisfied at the end. The characters were also quite sterotyped. Nonetheless, given the shitty movies that have come out in the last few years, I would still give this a 7. Samuel L Jackson is a bigoted pos, but he's a damn fine actor. Kurt Russell was really good too.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Comments

hongkonger: .

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Watched it last night. I'm a big fan of Django Unchained and the other obvious Q. Tarantino movies. There were lots of similarities b/n these movies. Though I enjoyed it, I felt a little unsatisfied at the end. The characters were also quite sterotyped. Nonetheless, given the shitty movies that have come out in the last few years, I would still give this a 7. Samuel L Jackson is a bigoted pos, but he's a damn fine actor. Kurt Russell was really good too.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
    I liked it, but not as much as most other QT flicks. It felt like a QT "greatest hits" movie. Get all the band back together, have em all act in the same room.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    weird murder mystery wild west flick. ..tarantino style i watched, i liked but it left me wanting moar
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

The problem with Quentin Tarantino movies is that all the characters speak as though they're in a Quentin Tarantino movie. You have these long grandiloquent speeches on slavery or n-word cock which the purported characters could never actually produce in reality.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnFanningsLimpDick View Post
    The problem with Quentin Tarantino movies is that all the characters speak as though they're in a Quentin Tarantino movie. You have these long grandiloquent speeches on slavery or n-word cock which the purported characters could never actually produce in reality.
    tell me more about this theory.
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i have reason to believe that the hateful 8 would be good dinner theater while gnawing on overcooked prime rib

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I liked it, but not as much as most other QT flicks. It felt like a QT "greatest hits" movie. Get all the band back together, have em all act in the same room.
    Good take and I agree. Actually, saw it twice and maybe even liked it better the second time.

Whenever, I can find an interview with QT talking about film generally I find his takes riveting. I need to look for an interview I haven’t seen yet - add it to my list.

If you are such a big fan of QT, Tellafriend, then why the long wait to see H8?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Watched it last night. Worst movie made in this century

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Watched it last night. Worst movie made in this century
    it's a weird slow moving flick that grows on you like mold spores

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnFanningsLimpDick View Post
    This.

And considering the characters are in one room it was a dialogue driven movie so it was more noticeable then usual.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Off the top of my head I would do the following rating:

Django > Inglorious Basterds > Pulp Fiction > Kill Bill's > Reservoir Dogs > Hateful 8 > Grindhouse

So not my favorite Tarantino flick but better than the average movie. I remember in the same week that I saw Hateful 8 in the theaters I saw what ever Star Wars was out a the same time (not even sure which one) and I liked The Hateful 8 better.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

If you are such a big fan of QT, Tellafriend, then why the long wait to see H8?

Was supposed to see it w/ some friends at the theater post drinks. Drinks took over and I missed it. Then I just forgot about it until I recently got Netflix and it was suggested to me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

Django > Inglorious Basterds > Pulp Fiction > Kill Bill's > Reservoir Dogs > Hateful 8 > Grindhouse

So not my favorite Tarantino flick but better than the average movie. I remember in the same week that I saw Hateful 8 in the theaters I saw what ever Star Wars was out a the same time (not even sure which one) and I liked The Hateful 8 better.

Interesting and I generally agree. I'd say:

Django > Pulp F > Kill Bills > Inglorious > Reservoir > Hateful 8

Never seen Grindhouse.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I would have like the Eight more had Tarantino dropped his role as director because the writing was over the top in much of it.
    Casting was suspect with Kurt Russell and the role played by Tim Roth reminded me too much of the one written for Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards. And who wasn't thinking of the floor board scene from Bastards when Samuel Jackson spied the jellybean on the floor?

Cute chapter titles and voiceover also repetitive.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

Interesting and I generally agree. I'd say:

Django > Pulp F > Kill Bills > Inglorious > Reservoir > Hateful 8

Never seen Grindhouse.
    Jackie Brown belongs just above mid table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    While Quentin Tarantino only wrote the screenplay, you have to put From Dusk Till Dawn in the list -- if only for Selma Hayek.

Comments

Wiganer: One of the greatest moments in film history

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I never saw Jackie Brown. Dunno why, it just never happened. I should rectify this as soon as possible.

Dusk till Dawn was so long ago I don't even remember it at all. I vaguely remember it starred a young Clooney and smoking hot Hayek and was a horror/comedy.

Thread Information