Thread: "For The People" A TV Show about the Southern District of NY premiers Tuesday

Load Metric

"For The People" A TV Show about the Southern District of NY premiers Tuesday

I've always found Southern District of NY federal cases very interesting. They are by far the most profitable district in the country. They don't bother unless there are hundreds of millions of $ in it for them.

They are responsible for Black Friday and taking down The Silk Road (and giving Ross Ulbricht life in prison)

Preet Bharara was running the show till Trump fired him last year (after Preet refused to resign and basically told Trump to go fuck himself).

The United States District Court for the Southern District of New York -- also known as the Mother Court -- is the oldest district court in the nation, and the setting for the newest drama from the minds of Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers. Focusing on the lives and careers of the brand-new lawyers working for both the defense and the prosecution and handling some of the most high-profile and high-stakes federal cases in the country, "For the People" follows the talented professionals as their lives intersect both in and out of the courtroom.
    It's on ABC, so it might be pretty bad, but I have my fingers crossed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    I've always found Southern District of NY federal cases very interesting. They are by far the most profitable district in the country. They don't bother unless there are hundreds of millions of $ in it for them.

They are responsible for Black Friday and taking down The Silk Road (and giving Ross Ulbricht life in prison)

Preet Bharara was running the show till Trump fired him last year (after Preet refused to resign and basically told Trump to go fuck himself).

The United States District Court for the Southern District of New York -- also known as the Mother Court -- is the oldest district court in the nation, and the setting for the newest drama from the minds of Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers. Focusing on the lives and careers of the brand-new lawyers working for both the defense and the prosecution and handling some of the most high-profile and high-stakes federal cases in the country, "For the People" follows the talented professionals as their lives intersect both in and out of the courtroom.
    That's not exactly true.

I heard Bharara on a podcast recently and he said that he waited to resign because he thought the Trump administration may have fired him by mistake.

LULZ

Load Metric

So the guy that shut internet poker down in America is a hero of the liberals. Makes sense.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post

That's not exactly true.

I heard Bharara on a podcast recently and he said that he waited to resign because he thought the Trump administration may have fired him by mistake.

LULZ
    You might be right and I'm not going to do a bunch of research, but, I remember a couple months after Trumps inauguration (maybe late Feb 2017?) he requested the resignation of all federal prosecutors. Preet refused and did a media round saying Trump had asked him to stay on board. So he got fired.

I do remember some interesting radio segments with Druff talking about Southern District of NY and how they are the most profitable district for the fed government,

He's now working for CNN so I guess it's reasonable for the Druff and Jewdonk party have every right to attack. <==slight troll

Regardless, the show might be interesting.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Preet is a Democrat and killed online poker. That's indisputable.

However, it's a bit more complicated than that.

As duped_samaritan mentioned, the US Attorneys Office of the Southern District of NY is all about money. They go after well-heeled criminal organizations, make arrests, and seize their assets. Their goal is, "Let's find really wealthy criminal organizations, take everything from them, and put their assets in government coffers."

At the end of each year, the office releases a statement patting themselves on the back for all the money they earned for the government.

In the mid-2000s, they realized online gambling had grown to become one of these targets. They busted Neteller in 2007, when the owners were dumb enough to come into the US. They ended up paying like $110 million for their get-out-of-jail cards.

This is an appointed office, meaning that it's always run by someone appointed by the current President.

In 2007, the President was GW Bush, so the Neteller bust was done by Republicans.

When Obama took office in 2009, the head of that office was fired and replaced by Preet Bhara, in what was a very standard "replace appointees with my own people" move.

Bhara was infamously behind the Black Friday busts in 2011.

But can we really blame Bhara personally, or pin this on Democrats?

Not really.

It's the nature of that office -- one which has long gone after criminal money, and it doesn't matter which party controls it. The goal has remained the same, as does its operation, regardless of who is in charge.

The Black Friday busts DID dispel the laughable myth that Obama, who was once a recreational poker player, was poker-friendly and would be good to the poker industry. In truth, Obama didn't give a shit about the poker industry, nor does Bhara. Nor does Trump, and nor did GW Bush. It's too small of an issue for a President to care about, and neither political party has a uniform stance on online poker legalization.

Regarding Bhara's firing, he was somewhat of a hero of the left for his public battles with Trump, where he almost had to be dragged out of the building.

Democrats cited this as a case of Trump firing a good man simply because he wouldn't promise loyalty to Trump personally. But is that what happened? Well, yes and no.

In reality, pretty much EVERY appointee gets fired when an opposite-party President takes over. For example, Obama fired the Bush appointee in this office, and not for cause. Obama simply wanted his own guy in there. This is stupid, and I wish it were different, but that's the way it's worked for a long time.

Trump was considering breaking this tradition, as he liked Bhara, and at one point called him in to say that he wouldn't be firing him upon taking office. Bhara was pleasantly surprised by this, and the two briefly had a good relationship.

However, Trump's ego kicked in, and he realized that he would be keeping on an appointed law enforcement official who didn't have personal loyalty to him. Trump then changed his mind and told Bhara he needed to resign. Bhara was insulted (mainly because Trump had previously told him he would be staying), so he threw a tantrum and made a public spectacle of the whole thing, basically forcing Trump to fire him, all while giving press conferences.

Had Trump simply fired Bhara without ever previously telling him he would stay, this firing would have been 100% standard. The brouhaha only occurred because Trump told him one thing and then reversed course, which was stupid on Trump's part.

But at the same time, Bhara and many on the left framed this as Trump doing something wrong by firing Bhara at all, which is BS, considering Obama did the exact same thing in the exact same office. Bhara's public tantrum about the matter was very calculated, as he wanted to earn himself anti-Trump points on the way out, and open doors for new career options (which worked).

Personally I think Bhara is a gandstander, and his actions were always seemingly to brag and pat himself on the back. I realize that everyone in charge of that office needs to have that quality to some degree, but Bhara really wanted to be the rock star of seizures.

It doesn't surprise me that he wormed his way into Hollywood and got a TV series based upon him and his work.

Load Metric
    This sounds like Billions of which season 3 begins on March 25th.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

It doesn't surprise me that he wormed his way into Hollywood and got a TV series based upon him and his work.
    I don't know much about this show, Preet might not have anything to do with it.

He is for sure working for CNN since the day he got fired though. And his 11 year old son can solve a rubix cube infinitely faster than little Marco.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I listened to an interview Preet did with Sam Harris.

He said he waited to resign basically because he wasn't sure if Trump even meant to give him the boot him or had done it out of incompetence. Preet said Trump had already accidentally fired people without even realizing it, and Trump had already told Preet he wasn't going to fire him. So he said he wasn't sure Trump meant to fire him, so he wanted to hear it in person.

Thread Information