Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Splitting logs

Load Metric
    michael if i die you have to make a soundcloud rap in memorandum.

dont look at me like that i dont make the rules.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    But by cutting down the trees, you will be destroying the habitat of you favorites: the owls

tell the truth, you are doing this to get avenge your broken heart
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    yeah but not cutting down any trees, just processing some that came down during storms.

i expect the needs of the owls are met.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    You know, i am so fucking aggravated at some certain posters incessantly commenting on EVERY FUCKING THREAD with rambling drunken bullshit...

To put it frankly, BGC and Limitles.....just SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Seriously...SHUT THE FUCK UP

I swear, its nearly on my bucket list to have these two useless cocksuckers 100% refrain from commenting on threads.

This is fucking ridiculous and has gone on long enough. You wanna comment on whatever useless drivel comes out of your trap? Put it in ONE FUCKING POST.

Call me harsh but ive reached my end in constantly swiping past tons of useless shitposts from you know who.

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: limitles and bgc are great, calm down

varys: Green for legit tilt

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    give me one topic you'd like to debate? go

i mean you are the last opponent
    I'd even cosider

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    it's another episode of 'white property owner rationalizes the inherent destructiveness of his existence'

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I'm sorry Gordman.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    I wholeheartedly endorse the endeavor. I little hard work outside your comfort zone is good for your body and mind.

1. all real men own a chainsaw. (the husky 455 is a good choice here)

2. Axes are for men

3. Splitting mauls are for women

4. Gas powered log splitters are for lazy douchebags or guys burning more than 4 cords a year

My chainsaw and my wife’s splitting maul

Name:  F96C312D-0E22-4D46-826A-4090EAC6851A.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  4.06 MB
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    may this thread live forever

Comments

MumblesBadly: Redneck repurpose!

Load Metric
    was scouting some landscaping i wanted to do in the back yard and saw that i have an honest to god widow maker out there.

absolutely massive tree is currently being held up at a 65 degree angle or so by a much younger tree thats already starting to buckle at the roots.

i dont think it has the potential to fall at an angle that could take out the power lines leading up to the house but im genuinely not banking on it, and im sure as shit not going to assume the other trees its impacting cant do the same.

speaking of which, this is a perfectly healthy pine (?) tree that snapped from the wind halfway up its fucking trunk and at the very least brushed against the live power feeds to the house before falling more or less parallel to them, coming to rest on the fucking tension cable holding up the power pole.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 12.01.00 AM.png
Views: 196
Size:  2.11 MB

im not feeling this shit.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    was scouting some landscaping i wanted to do in the back yard and saw that i have an honest to god widow maker out there.

absolutely massive tree is currently being held up at a 65 degree angle or so by a much younger tree thats already starting to buckle at the roots.

i dont think it has the potential to fall at an angle that could take out the power lines leading up to the house but im genuinely not banking on it, and im sure as shit not going to assume the other trees its impacting cant do the same.

speaking of which, this is a perfectly healthy pine (?) tree that snapped from the wind halfway up its fucking trunk and at the very least brushed against the live power feeds to the house before falling more or less parallel to them, coming to rest on the fucking tension cable holding up the power pole.

if you have trees on your property potentially threatening a power line, call the power company and they will likely remove it (or at least trim the offending branches) for free

Comments

Sanlmar: When a poker playing millenial has more common sense than Sonatine

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    if you have trees on your property potentially threatening a power line, call the power company and they will likely remove it (or at least trim the offending branches) for free

fucking a, ill hit them up, thank you.

it would be particularly clutch if they would do so without removing the harvested wood as owning a wood burning fireplace means i can spend winters indulging two tremendous passions, fire and comfort, without paying for fuel.

Load Metric
    Is upstate NY about getting in front of the dangers of 5G?

Nature is prolly a more imminent risk to your health than millimeter waves and massive MIMO.

There are signs here that you are not equipped to survive in an environment that demands you be a tool user. If calling the power company is an epiphany then we both should have serious concerns for your welfare.

This isn’t a knock. The efficiency of modern civilization has afforded you the luxury of advancing intellectual pursuits such as your bitcoin and sous-vide theories. You are continuing the advancement of the very civilization that gave you that gift. You are giving back and we all win.

If you are clearing the land, setting Havahart traps. fueling the wood stove whilst maintaining your schedule of rabies vaccinations you are just surviving... and your odds don’t look to be positive expectation.

I am never going to change Druff’s mind about his backward camping hobby. What you have gone and done isn’t odd like Druff - it’s a criminal waste.

Load Metric

great idea willie. if a crew and boom/bucket truck shows up to insure their wires are cleared of future problems they may or may not be able to do the same for the wires leading to your house(your property/responsibility). if they can't fell the leaner right then, offer the wood from the leaner to any of the crew or their coworkers/friends that can drop it this weekend, after work next week etc.

if you want to do some work in the dirt call 811 at least 48 hours before picking up a shovel. entirely free service. water, sewer, phone, cable and gas lines will be marked on your property if any exist or you will receive calls saying you're clear, meaning that particular utility is not supplied or buried on your land. you can always call in and just say you are going to plant some trees in the front and back yards and get marked up. take photos and measurements and have a record if you plan any changes in the future. but call 811 again before digging, if you were to damage a utility line outside of marked location plus 2 or 3 feet either side you are not financially responsible for repair.
    “I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.”
    Stephen Hawking

Banned
    Load Metric

fucking a, ill hit them up, thank you.

it would be particularly clutch if they would do so without removing the harvested wood as owning a wood burning fireplace means i can spend winters indulging two tremendous passions, fire and comfort, without paying for fuel.

As a fellow cheep fire bug, let me warn you. You will pay, man will you pay.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Look at # of ER visits from chainsaws and most important.
    How to Season Firewood
    Freshly chopped firewood has up to 50% water content and won't burn in your fireplace. First, you must let the firewood season (dry), which allows the moisture to escape––the drier the wood, the cleaner the burn. When the wood gets down below 20% water content, it's ready to burn. Burning unseasoned (green) or even partially seasoned wood in your stove or fireplace will cause creosote build-up in your chimney, which can lead to a chimney fire at the worst, and a lack of fire or a roomful of smoke at best. Every homeowner reliant on wood should know how to season wood
    https://www.wikihow.com/Season-Firewood

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post
    Look at # of ER visits from chainsaws and most important.
    How to Season Firewood
    Freshly chopped firewood has up to 50% water content and won't burn in your fireplace. First, you must let the firewood season (dry), which allows the moisture to escape––the drier the wood, the cleaner the burn. When the wood gets down below 20% water content, it's ready to burn. Burning unseasoned (green) or even partially seasoned wood in your stove or fireplace will cause creosote build-up in your chimney, which can lead to a chimney fire at the worst, and a lack of fire or a roomful of smoke at best. Every homeowner reliant on wood should know how to season wood
    https://www.wikihow.com/Season-Firewood

yeah i think i mentioned earlier, i want to this all processed sooner than later so it can season for next winter. as long as its sitting out there with the bark on, the clock is stopped on that whole process, on top of which i have to worry about poison ivy getting onto it, stinkbugs, mold, termites, so on.

the house insurance covers processing the trees that touched the house, which is fantastic of course, the other ones that are down are just going to have to be dealt with carefully and with a great deal of research and resources.

i havent decided how im going to deal with the ones that are propped up on other trees, those things are absolute fucking death traps; the entire trunks are loaded and dealing with the branches above my head makes this the worlds deadliest game of jenga. ill get it priced out but, per lurkers concerns, if it costs much more to get them take care of than it would cost to have their cordage in wood delivered, i may just leave well enough alone and let the next noreaster solve them. landscaping can wait.

Load Metric
    there is so much wood there that you could rent a chipper, the chips make a great ground cover and will keep the air born weeds/seeds from sprouting. wood chips are to acidic for germination will eventually compost (fern food) there is a lot of wood there you cold chip 1/3 and still have tons of fire wood.

If you are unsure about falling the trees you could have them felled and do the ground work your self. care full how you cut long logs as the bar could get pinched and have a real hard time removing it.
    I helped a buddy remove 50 alder trees some 60' tall was fun and very satisfying when finished.

Comments

sonatine: solid takes
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    the plot thickens... insurance adjuster just showed up and, in so many words, handed me $3000 and said, in so many words, good luck and god bless.

point being, i can hire some flakes to come out here and jack up their prices 200% because _everyone_ needs them right now and situations like this are their financial bread and butter, or i can invest in my own equipment and just deal with this methodically and safely and rinse/wash/repeat minus the equipment investments when the exact same shit happens next year.

after carefully analyzing the equity paths, one thing is clear:

NIGGA AKS ABOUT ME NIGGA AKS ABOUT ME

Load Metric
    also taking a hard pass on dealing with the widow maker any time soon.

Thread Information