Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitting logs

Load Metric
    Easy call here. If there are a lot of knots get a log splitter. If not, use an axe. The axe may make a man out of you.

Load Metric
    honestly if it was like 1 tree id axe it up but i dont want this wood rotting where it fell so its important i hustle.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Do not get an electric if you are splitting green pine, that shit will string out. Each split will be a chore and take forever. Better off going with Stihl Chainsaw or a gas or hydraulic splitter. Efficiency over headaches. Rent if you feel it is one time thing.

Envious of your situation though. The smell of a chainsaw, sawdust, and hard labor is a true pleasure.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyErnie View Post
    Do not get an electric if you are splitting green pine, that shit will string out. Each split will be a chore and take forever. Better off going with Stihl Chainsaw or a gas or hydraulic splitter. Efficiency over headaches. Rent if you feel it is one time thing.

Envious of your situation though. The smell of a chainsaw, sawdust, and hard labor is a true pleasure.

no pine, at least not at the top of the list.

id love a stihl but honestly the hassle of actually getting one is putting me off when i can amazon prime a husqvarna 455 and never have to make eye contact with the sort of person who ends up selling stihl chainsaws for a living.

but yeah right now, i think im buying the chainsaw and renting the splitter...

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I haven't read the thread. But suffice to say if you are asking questions about chain saws and "safety equipment" you are neither qualified or capable of performing this job. Growing up where I did, even your phrasing and terms are cringeworthy at best
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post
    I haven't read the thread. But suffice to say if you are asking questions about chain saws and "safety equipment" you are neither qualified or capable of performing this job. Growing up where I did, even your phrasing and terms are cringeworthy at best

its weird because to me, growing up someplace where logging 'phrasing and terms' are taken seriously seems infinitely more cringeworthy.

Load Metric
    that said i actually agree, fundamentally.

and if someone i took seriously was like 'yeah you shouldnt do this, its dangerous' id take a pass and hire someone to do it.

but the consensus seems to be that its something that could be done safely if proper gear was used and a healthy amount of research was done first.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    So, post Nor'easters, I have about 8-10 reasonably large trees down on my property (and counting).

Like at the thick side we are talking maybe 18" diameter trunks, that sort of thing.

I want to get them processed for seasoning as firewood in early spring, so I'm going to be picking up a proper chainsaw, safety gear, so on.

For splitting the chopped up logs, I'm kind of torn between using an axe or getting an inexpensive log splitter, like so:

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56207-6-5...9NS/ref=sr_1_4

I might just get both and use the Wen to split once and the axe to quarter..? The cycle time on the Wen seems miserable but apparently there arent many better options outside of like Eastern Europe where people just build fan blades out of razor sharp lengths of steel and hook them up to tractor engines.

Figured I'd send up a flare here and get some feedback before I make any Expensive Mistakes.

I'm not opposed to hiring professionals to deal with this but I fucking hate the idea of spending $2000 on getting $3000 worth of firewood processed when buying all the equipment myself for the same amount of money means I can deal with it myself for nothing beyond the original expense...

I'm also not opposed to admitting this maybe something best left to the flannel MAGA crowds because every year, soft pink fuckups like myself end up in the dirt because they got cute with this exact sort of thing.
    Split it yourself with an axe. You'll soon be strutting into town with a woman over your shoulder
    Also didn't read whole post but I would hire someone with experience to bring those babies down. Axe a neighbour for a referral, lot's of non professionals have these skills

Comments

sonatine: iron in words etc

Load Metric
    At least watch a video or two about the best way to fall your particular type of trees.
    And get a helmet with mesh face guard

Maybe you have some experience?
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    At least watch a video or two about the best way to fall your particular type of trees.
    And get a helmet with mesh face guard

Maybe you have some experience?

I'm not felling trees and I've already indicated that prop safety gear is solved.

Please do keep up.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    Safety gear is for women. Chainsaw and axe is all you need unless you wanna be referred to as faggotine from here on out

Banned
    Load Metric
    I wholeheartedly endorse the endeavor. I little hard work outside your comfort zone is good for your body and mind.

1. all real men own a chainsaw. (the husky 455 is a good choice here)

2. Axes are for men

3. Splitting mauls are for women

4. Gas powered log splitters are for lazy douchebags or guys burning more than 4 cords a year

Comments

splitthis: He is looking to do it safe and efficiently, not to exert too much

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    I wholeheartedly endorse the endeavor. I little hard work outside your comfort zone is good for your body and mind.

1. all real men own a chainsaw. (the husky 455 is a good choice here)

2. Axes are for men

3. Splitting mauls are for women

4. Gas powered log splitters are for lazy douchebags or guys burning more than 4 cords a year

word.

i mean, by my estimate i have a solid 4 cords of wood ready to be dealt with and id like to deal with it before its crawling with poison ivy.

Comments

The_Lurker: well then get your ass to work

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post

AINEC
    damn you, wrench

just spent the better part of an hour watching this and other log splitting videos

Comments

sonatine: SUCH GREAT HOLE TO FALL DOWN

Load Metric
    Besides being dangerous, this sounds like a lot of work. Work you will be sick of after the second day. I think you are around 40 & this is a project for a 20 something year old.

Find some who does this kind of work, they will likely do it for free if you let them keep the wood & as part of the deal you keep a cord or two.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    that said i actually agree, fundamentally.

and if someone i took seriously was like 'yeah you shouldnt do this, its dangerous' id take a pass and hire someone to do it.

but the consensus seems to be that its something that could be done safely if proper gear was used and a healthy amount of research was done first.
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post

AINEC
    Show the follow up vid where operator dies of combo cardiac arrest and boredom

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I love how Sonatine is setting this up where if he dies at least everyone will feel guilty for not warning him he's not Paul Bunyan.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I support this thread though just in case it's a troll on limitfag. Or a troll on everyone to see just how obscure of a topic he can create before everyone isn't an expert on it. Either way if they ever make a Saw 18 I vote that the one they make after that is just called Sonatine.

Thread Information