Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitting logs

Load Metric

Splitting logs

So, post Nor'easters, I have about 8-10 reasonably large trees down on my property (and counting).

Like at the thick side we are talking maybe 18" diameter trunks, that sort of thing.

I want to get them processed for seasoning as firewood in early spring, so I'm going to be picking up a proper chainsaw, safety gear, so on.

For splitting the chopped up logs, I'm kind of torn between using an axe or getting an inexpensive log splitter, like so:

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56207-6-5...9NS/ref=sr_1_4

I might just get both and use the Wen to split once and the axe to quarter..? The cycle time on the Wen seems miserable but apparently there arent many better options outside of like Eastern Europe where people just build fan blades out of razor sharp lengths of steel and hook them up to tractor engines.

Figured I'd send up a flare here and get some feedback before I make any Expensive Mistakes.

I'm not opposed to hiring professionals to deal with this but I fucking hate the idea of spending $2000 on getting $3000 worth of firewood processed when buying all the equipment myself for the same amount of money means I can deal with it myself for nothing beyond the original expense...

I'm also not opposed to admitting this maybe something best left to the flannel MAGA crowds because every year, soft pink fuckups like myself end up in the dirt because they got cute with this exact sort of thing.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    U need a splitter and a chainsaw easy peasy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    U need a splitter and a chainsaw easy peasy.

It really is that simple isnt it.

Pending any other comments I expect thats exactly the direction I will go.

Cheers.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Safety gear is for women. Chainsaw and axe is all you need unless you wanna be referred to as faggotine from here on out

Gold
    Load Metric

AINEC

Comments

Gordman: So satisfying every time i watched this one

WillieMcFML: I WANT MY HOUR BACK...or do i?

big dick: that is cool

DirtyErnie: awesome
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Load Metric
    Nothing funner than a chainsaw, I have seen those log splitter in use, definitely some entertainment there.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Were any of you Big Josh fans? Matt Borne was a very good wrestler. Big Josh was not a great gimmick

Name:  bigjosh.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  38.7 KB

Comments

sonatine: could have been a better gimmick lets be honest people

Gold
    Load Metric
    Stick with a gas/hydraulic splitter. Electric splitters take FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVV ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR to make one split.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Definitely use a log splitter. Fuck that axe noise.
    If you're trying to split that much GREEN wood with an axe, you're gonna have a bad time in the long run. Guaranteed.

Im skeptical on that splitter you linked and any electric splitter. Maybe it does work, but im skeptical. Id personally go with a gas powered splitter but to each his own. Gas splitter is going to of course cost more, but if nothing else just sell it when you are done. Or you could even rent a splitter, vut make sure you of course time it so everything is sawed into chunks and ready to go.

Chainsaws - if you're talking 18" diameter trees, make damn sure you get a strong enough chainsaw with a sharp blade or you'll have problems. A $80 big box store chainsaw isn't going to cut it imo. Again, maybe rent? Depends if you want to keep it or not afterwards.

Comments

sonatine: thank youuuuuuuuu

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    Safety gear is for women. Chainsaw and axe is all you need unless you wanna be referred to as faggotine from here on out

clearly you havent been keeping up on my recent dfs scores. faggotine came and went.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Edit: Stihl chainsaws are a great brand option. They cost more sometimes, but ive never had problems and they always dod a fantastic job

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: This or huskavarna.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post
    Stick with a gas/hydraulic splitter. Electric splitters take FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVV ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR to make one split.

thing is, im buying not renting so anything better than that Wen is going to run me 6x the price and i dont think im up for it.

that said with amazon prime i can literally return the Wen if it fucks up and pivot to something more substantial so zero risk really.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    If you're trying to split that much GREEN wood with an axe, you're gonna have a bad time in the long run. Guaranteed.

Im skeptical on that splitter you linked and any electric splitter. Maybe it does work, but im skeptical. Id personally go with a gas powered splitter but to each his own. Gas splitter is going to of course cost more, but if nothing else just sell it when you are done. Or you could even rent a splitter, vut make sure you of course time it so everything is sawed into chunks and ready to go.

Chainsaws - if you're talking 18" diameter trees, make damn sure you get a strong enough chainsaw with a sharp blade or you'll have problems. A $80 big box store chainsaw isn't going to cut it imo. Again, maybe rent? Depends if you want to keep it or not afterwards.
    Agree renting is a good option but it kind of makes you rush to finish and return the equipment, always get the insurance if available. Splitting green logs with a axe is easier than dried wood.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    like honestly if i thought this was going to be a one time thing id rent but i get the feeling that every fucking year im going to need to deal with this.

Load Metric
    also fun fact two of the trees bounced off my house and fucked up some gutters in the process (hollar at 1960s house frames being like tanks) so insurance is going to cover the cost of dealing with those, but the others are all me.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post

Agree renting is a good option but it kind of makes you rush to finish and return the equipment, always get the insurance if available. Splitting green logs with a axe is easier than dried wood.

Youre right to a point. It depends on what species the wood is.

Example: if its oak, its easier to split when green but something like pine is easier to split when dry.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Or if you want to have someone else do it, you could hire a couple of undocumented workers and save a ton of labor costs. If one of them gets hurt and you're afraid of being sued, just throw em in the woodchipper. Problem solved.

Load Metric
    Bobielle Q Wong has made a strong case for renting a proper gas powered log splitter for 2 days and I'm honestly coming around to his point here.

Load Metric
    Fuck it! Go old school!

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Gordman’s post is filled with real man knowledge.

The big box chainsaw comment rings an epiphany I had about the big box Chinese shit they have on the shelves.

I had a chainsaw that my father handed down to me. Thing did hard work for maybe 20 years. Every once in a while it would need a part or a rebuild - maybe you just wanted someone else to sharpen the chain.

You took it to a little small motor repair kind of shop and you were back in the woods.

Those little shops are gone as the crap chainsaws are disposable. No one in their right mind would bother fixing them. Maybe my chain saw was a McCullough. I forget. The big box purchasing power demands that even a former quality manufacturer has to hit the price point dictated by Home Depot or they die.

Bought a Samsung dryer for the business. Lasted less than a year before it shit the bed. I took it apart and I’m looking at plastic rollers. The shit just melted. Order a new part but I know I’ll be repairing this POS on the regular

It’s all garbage. I ain’t dropping any knowledge. Just saying it all got personal starting with a chainsaw.

The Home Depot guy now owns the Falcons. Nothing good will ever happen there.

Get hearing protection Tine.

Comments

Gordman: Thank you sir

Thread Information