Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69

Thread: 8-Bit Philosophy: SJWs ruining your precious 1980s video game memories one week at a time

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    And in case you wern;'t convince yet...

    A video defending trump from the 8 bit series...

    This wasn't defending Trump.

    It was about the word "fascist", and stating that it's been overused to the point where people are tuning it out.

    It's the left criticizing the left for poor tactics, rather than ideology.
    I think I made my case pretty clearly. All the videos there are just modern examples of philosophers who are studied in a first year philosophy course. As I mentioned there are plenty that are not left wing.

     
    Comments
      
      The_Lurker: yeah but that doesn't fit his really skewed narrative

  2. #42
    Druff I also went to their facebook to get more info on who the creators are and see you arguing with people on there...

    you specifically state "this page and all your videos are garbage"

    Clearly most of their videos are completely accurate and good modern day examples of classic philosophers. You come across as very bias stating such things.

    To be honest you would have been better off to critique them for using 16 bit games for numerous videos.

    I will also copy and paste this guys response because he says it better than me.

    First, we should all remember that Wisecrack is never just proposing these concepts, they simply highlight (a) given philosopher(s) to provoke conversation.

  3. #43
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Druff I also went to their facebook to get more info on who the creators are and see you arguing with people on there...

    you specifically state "this page and all your videos are garbage"

    Clearly most of their videos are completely accurate and good modern day examples of classic philosophers. You come across as very bias stating such things.

    To be honest you would have been better off to critique them for using 16 bit games for numerous videos.

    I will also copy and paste this guys response because he says it better than me.

    First, we should all remember that Wisecrack is never just proposing these concepts, they simply highlight (a) given philosopher(s) to provoke conversation.
    I hadn't watched many of them yet when I made that post, but the few I had watched were all SJW crap like the one I posted here.

    Just because they also do philosopher-related videos in the series doesn't negate my points, except perhaps the "all your videos are garbage" one (should probably be "some of your videos are garbage").

    Furthermore, there is no ideological balance. The best of them are apolitical, and the others are heavily SJW/left biased.

    I'm referring to the 8-bit series here, not the other random stuff they have on the Wisecrack channel.

    Have you found a single video on there yet with right-wing or center-right ideology?

    The one you cited as "defending Trump" was still a leftist video, and wasn't actually defending Trump, as I already explained.

  4. #44
    Did you not watch the video on privilege that I posted?

    EDIT should say slightly right wing.

  5. #45
    I will give you this though


  6. #46
    Banned
    Reputation
    679
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    M.C.E.C.W.C.
    Posts
    1,993
    Name:  bang-head-against-brick-wall.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  417.2 KB

  7. #47
    100% Organic MumblesBadly's Avatar
    Reputation
    11
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In the many threads of this forum
    Posts
    8,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Druff I also went to their facebook to get more info on who the creators are and see you arguing with people on there...

    you specifically state "this page and all your videos are garbage"

    Clearly most of their videos are completely accurate and good modern day examples of classic philosophers. You come across as very bias stating such things.

    To be honest you would have been better off to critique them for using 16 bit games for numerous videos.

    I will also copy and paste this guys response because he says it better than me.

    First, we should all remember that Wisecrack is never just proposing these concepts, they simply highlight (a) given philosopher(s) to provoke conversation.
    I hadn't watched many of them yet when I made that post, but the few I had watched were all SJW crap like the one I posted here.

    Just because they also do philosopher-related videos in the series doesn't negate my points, except perhaps the "all your videos are garbage" one (should probably be "some of your videos are garbage").

    Furthermore, there is no ideological balance. The best of them are apolitical, and the others are heavily SJW/left biased.

    I'm referring to the 8-bit series here, not the other random stuff they have on the Wisecrack channel.

    Have you found a single video on there yet with right-wing or center-right ideology?

    The one you cited as "defending Trump" was still a leftist video, and wasn't actually defending Trump, as I already explained.
    Druff, perhaps there's a teaching moment. Per your own comment here, you publicly shit on *all* of their channel content without actually viewing them. Kinda hard for objective eyes to take you as a legitimate critic and not a reactionary conservative troll.

    Name:  IMG_9501.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  82.4 KB
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 03-04-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    _____________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    We have a horrible choice between a super-shady, self-serving, lying criminal (Hillary Clinton) and an emotionally-unbalanced, shoot-from-the-hip authoritarian who lacks the intellectual curiosity to even want to learn the complexities that come with running a major nation like the US (Donald Trump).

  8. #48
    Druff, you do find politics where there aren't any. And I know you say your show isn't about politics but with every topic you seem to add in your agenda. I don't listen to PFA to hear about politics, unless it's related to a topic but if this continues you may lose a longtime/lifetime listener.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

    I hadn't watched many of them yet when I made that post, but the few I had watched were all SJW crap like the one I posted here.

    Just because they also do philosopher-related videos in the series doesn't negate my points, except perhaps the "all your videos are garbage" one (should probably be "some of your videos are garbage").

    Furthermore, there is no ideological balance. The best of them are apolitical, and the others are heavily SJW/left biased.

    I'm referring to the 8-bit series here, not the other random stuff they have on the Wisecrack channel.

    Have you found a single video on there yet with right-wing or center-right ideology?

    The one you cited as "defending Trump" was still a leftist video, and wasn't actually defending Trump, as I already explained.
    Druff, perhaps there's a teaching moment. Per your own comment here, you publicly shit on *all* of their channel content without actually viewing them. Kinda hard for objective eyes to take you as a legitimate critic and not a reactionary conservative troll.

    Name:  IMG_9501.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  82.4 KB
    As much sense as this makes, your homemade memes are fucking terrible, as are you. So please, DIAGF. Thank you, sir.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Druff I also went to their facebook to get more info on who the creators are and see you arguing with people on there...

    you specifically state "this page and all your videos are garbage"

    Clearly most of their videos are completely accurate and good modern day examples of classic philosophers. You come across as very bias stating such things.

    To be honest you would have been better off to critique them for using 16 bit games for numerous videos.

    I will also copy and paste this guys response because he says it better than me.

    First, we should all remember that Wisecrack is never just proposing these concepts, they simply highlight (a) given philosopher(s) to provoke conversation.
    I hadn't watched many of them yet when I made that post, but the few I had watched were all SJW crap like the one I posted here.

    Just because they also do philosopher-related videos in the series doesn't negate my points, except perhaps the "all your videos are garbage" one (should probably be "some of your videos are garbage").

    Furthermore, there is no ideological balance. The best of them are apolitical, and the others are heavily SJW/left biased.

    I'm referring to the 8-bit series here, not the other random stuff they have on the Wisecrack channel.

    Have you found a single video on there yet with right-wing or center-right ideology?

    The one you cited as "defending Trump" was still a leftist video, and wasn't actually defending Trump, as I already explained.

    I don’t get why you’d care about this, or insist upon an ideological balance for a bunch of dorks making YouTube videos? I’ve never even heard of them, but from what I gather, they’re a collection of LA-based artists making videos. They’re a private entity. They aren’t a news organization or anything. I’ll take your word they lean left, but what’s the distinction between PC culture warriors insisting that organizations and universities acknowledge and respect their views and you insisting some private entity acknowledge and respect yours? It would seem to me that they’re free to create content that appeals to their mostly millennial audience from what I’ve read without concern for if you and I think their gender opinions are nonsensical. I actually agree with you those videos are garbage, but it also strikes me as you turning into a PC warrior to insist that they give a fuck what we think. I think a Tomi Lahren show, or a Breitbart site is full of idiots, but the first minute I spend giving a fuck what they think and calling for them to be balanced is when I’ve turned into everything I hate about PC culture. It’s America, and 8-bit certainly doesn’t appear to be some government funded group.

  11. #51

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Did you not watch the video on privilege that I posted?

    EDIT should say slightly right wing.
    I think this is a pretty good indication of how skewed we as a society are that a classically liberal philosopher who espouses individualism and freedom of choice is considered right wing.

    I would actually argue that philosopher/position is wrong. I would argue there is no such thing as true free will, and we are all a sum of our predetermined genetic material, and how the environment shapes that material. Essentially we are just neurons firing on and off in response to stimulus, but our consciousness gives us the illusion of free will.

  13. #53
    Gold MrTickle's Avatar
    Reputation
    399
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,589
    Imagine watching a video from a channel which doesn't align with your own politics and then moaning about it because it's designed to look like the 80s.

     
    Comments
      
      The_Lurker: oh the horror

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

    I hadn't watched many of them yet when I made that post, but the few I had watched were all SJW crap like the one I posted here.

    Just because they also do philosopher-related videos in the series doesn't negate my points, except perhaps the "all your videos are garbage" one (should probably be "some of your videos are garbage").

    Furthermore, there is no ideological balance. The best of them are apolitical, and the others are heavily SJW/left biased.

    I'm referring to the 8-bit series here, not the other random stuff they have on the Wisecrack channel.

    Have you found a single video on there yet with right-wing or center-right ideology?

    The one you cited as "defending Trump" was still a leftist video, and wasn't actually defending Trump, as I already explained.

    I don’t get why you’d care about this, or insist upon an ideological balance for a bunch of dorks making YouTube videos? I’ve never even heard of them, but from what I gather, they’re a collection of LA-based artists making videos. They’re a private entity. They aren’t a news organization or anything. I’ll take your word they lean left, but what’s the distinction between PC culture warriors insisting that organizations and universities acknowledge and respect their views and you insisting some private entity acknowledge and respect yours? It would seem to me that they’re free to create content that appeals to their mostly millennial audience from what I’ve read without concern for if you and I think their gender opinions are nonsensical. I actually agree with you those videos are garbage, but it also strikes me as you turning into a PC warrior to insist that they give a fuck what we think. I think a Tomi Lahren show, or a Breitbart site is full of idiots, but the first minute I spend giving a fuck what they think and calling for them to be balanced is when I’ve turned into everything I hate about PC culture. It’s America, and 8-bit certainly doesn’t appear to be some government funded group.
    I think Druff's main issue is that due to indoctrination in universities most educated/intelligent/technologically focused people are left leaning, and he views this as a problem.

    Also notice that I said this was due to indoctrination, and not just smarter people figuring out that the left path is the right path. Studies have definitively shown that your political leanings are mostly determined by your environment and indoctrination, and not intelligence. That is why in our society the most intelligent people go to universities where they generally become left leaning indoctrinated, but in the Muslim world most of the most intelligent people delve into theology, where they become indoctrinated into a much more conservative ideology.

    Jordan Peterson has actually done studies studying what aspects of an individual's personality influence their political/ideological leanings, and his research indicates that other factors of ones personality independent of intelligence actually predict pretty reliable their political/ideological leanings.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post


    I don’t get why you’d care about this, or insist upon an ideological balance for a bunch of dorks making YouTube videos? I’ve never even heard of them, but from what I gather, they’re a collection of LA-based artists making videos. They’re a private entity. They aren’t a news organization or anything. I’ll take your word they lean left, but what’s the distinction between PC culture warriors insisting that organizations and universities acknowledge and respect their views and you insisting some private entity acknowledge and respect yours? It would seem to me that they’re free to create content that appeals to their mostly millennial audience from what I’ve read without concern for if you and I think their gender opinions are nonsensical. I actually agree with you those videos are garbage, but it also strikes me as you turning into a PC warrior to insist that they give a fuck what we think. I think a Tomi Lahren show, or a Breitbart site is full of idiots, but the first minute I spend giving a fuck what they think and calling for them to be balanced is when I’ve turned into everything I hate about PC culture. It’s America, and 8-bit certainly doesn’t appear to be some government funded group.
    I think Druff's main issue is that due to indoctrination in universities most educated/intelligent/technologically focused people are left leaning, and he views this as a problem.

    Also notice that I said this was due to indoctrination, and not just smarter people figuring out that the left path is the right path. Studies have definitively shown that your political leanings are mostly determined by your environment and indoctrination, and not intelligence. That is why in our society the most intelligent people go to universities where they generally become left leaning indoctrinated, but in the Muslim world most of the most intelligent people delve into theology, where they become indoctrinated into a much more conservative ideology.

    Jordan Peterson has actually done studies studying what aspects of an individual's personality influence their political/ideological leanings, and his research indicates that other factors of ones personality independent of intelligence actually predict pretty reliable their political/ideological leanings.


    I missed page 2 of this thread where he explained why it bothered him. Calling them hypocritical
    for making anti-capitalism videos while engaging in capitalism is on point. Calling for them to be more ideologically balanced is, most likely, an argument against capitalism unto itself as they cater to an audience of millenials. Making a video Druff likes will probably cost them money.

    All you did was make a persuasive argument that sending our brightest to be indoctrinated by liberal schools is far optimal to sending their brightest to be indoctrinated into religious and conservative dogma. We didn’t need to look to the Muslim world for that. That’s evident here in the US. The wealthiest and most innovative states skew disproportionately blue.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

    I think Druff's main issue is that due to indoctrination in universities most educated/intelligent/technologically focused people are left leaning, and he views this as a problem.

    Also notice that I said this was due to indoctrination, and not just smarter people figuring out that the left path is the right path. Studies have definitively shown that your political leanings are mostly determined by your environment and indoctrination, and not intelligence. That is why in our society the most intelligent people go to universities where they generally become left leaning indoctrinated, but in the Muslim world most of the most intelligent people delve into theology, where they become indoctrinated into a much more conservative ideology.

    Jordan Peterson has actually done studies studying what aspects of an individual's personality influence their political/ideological leanings, and his research indicates that other factors of ones personality independent of intelligence actually predict pretty reliable their political/ideological leanings.


    I missed page 2 of this thread where he explained why it bothered him. Calling them hypocritical
    for making anti-capitalism videos while engaging in capitalism is on point. Calling for them to be more ideologically balanced is, most likely, an argument against capitalism unto itself as they cater to an audience of millenials. Making a video Druff likes will probably cost them money.

    All you did was make a persuasive argument that sending our brightest to be indoctrinated by liberal schools is far optimal to sending their brightest to be indoctrinated into religious and conservative dogma. We didnít need to look to the Muslim world for that. Thatís evident here in the US. The wealthiest and most innovative states skew disproportionately blue.
    BCB already touched this subject in the sense that it appears that they only present the ideas of classical philosophers. In a sense the second video is out of context. It doesn't help that they often present their subjects ideas in first person.

    There's really nothing hypocritical or ironic (not even Alanis Morissette ironic) in teaching about anti-capitalistic philosophers in a capitalistic medium.

    Oh and to me it also seems weird to ask for balanced views from private entities. It's some weird right wing hand-out logic that appears to make them feel entitled to be catered instead of just making their own and doing work.

  17. #57
    A childhood sport turned in to nefarious teachings about the existence of famous classical philosophers (obv mostly SJWs).


  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post

    I think Druff's main issue is that due to indoctrination in universities most educated/intelligent/technologically focused people are left leaning, and he views this as a problem.

    Also notice that I said this was due to indoctrination, and not just smarter people figuring out that the left path is the right path. Studies have definitively shown that your political leanings are mostly determined by your environment and indoctrination, and not intelligence. That is why in our society the most intelligent people go to universities where they generally become left leaning indoctrinated, but in the Muslim world most of the most intelligent people delve into theology, where they become indoctrinated into a much more conservative ideology.

    Jordan Peterson has actually done studies studying what aspects of an individual's personality influence their political/ideological leanings, and his research indicates that other factors of ones personality independent of intelligence actually predict pretty reliable their political/ideological leanings.


    I missed page 2 of this thread where he explained why it bothered him. Calling them hypocritical
    for making anti-capitalism videos while engaging in capitalism is on point. Calling for them to be more ideologically balanced is, most likely, an argument against capitalism unto itself as they cater to an audience of millenials. Making a video Druff likes will probably cost them money.

    All you did was make a persuasive argument that sending our brightest to be indoctrinated by liberal schools is far optimal to sending their brightest to be indoctrinated into religious and conservative dogma. We didnít need to look to the Muslim world for that. Thatís evident here in the US. The wealthiest and most innovative states skew disproportionately blue.
    Fair enough. I donít know what your progeny situation is, but both me and druff have male children we probably want to go to college, and I personally donít really like the idea I will be paying out the ass so they can be taught nonsense and they are categorically everything that is wrong with the world. But I am guessing things will swing around and that wonít be an issue down the road.

    But you are right SJW nonsense is better than ISIS or southern baptist nonsense; all things considered.

  19. #59
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    Some seem to be missing my point here.

    I'm totally fine with left-leaning political videos (and channels) existing. All YouTube creators should have the right to create all the biased videos they want.

    I even watch left-biased videos and read left-biased articles because I like to see the perspective from the other side.

    It's just that, as a huge fan of '80s video games, I hate seeing them being used this way. I'm not saying that the video shouldn't exist for that reason, but it just personally bothers me to see it happen.

    Were it just the creation of some random SJW leftist, I wouldn't really be bothered, but it reminds me of the fact that the tech field -- something I was closely associated with for 70% of my life -- has basically gone full SJW, which wasn't always the case.

    This series could have been really cool if they just focused it upon something apolitical.

  20. #60
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post



    I missed page 2 of this thread where he explained why it bothered him. Calling them hypocritical
    for making anti-capitalism videos while engaging in capitalism is on point. Calling for them to be more ideologically balanced is, most likely, an argument against capitalism unto itself as they cater to an audience of millenials. Making a video Druff likes will probably cost them money.

    All you did was make a persuasive argument that sending our brightest to be indoctrinated by liberal schools is far optimal to sending their brightest to be indoctrinated into religious and conservative dogma. We didnít need to look to the Muslim world for that. Thatís evident here in the US. The wealthiest and most innovative states skew disproportionately blue.
    Fair enough. I donít know what your progeny situation is, but both me and druff have male children we probably want to go to college, and I personally donít really like the idea I will be paying out the ass so they can be taught nonsense and they are categorically everything that is wrong with the world. But I am guessing things will swing around and that wonít be an issue down the road.

    But you are right SJW nonsense is better than ISIS or southern baptist nonsense; all things considered.
    Colleges have been hotbeds of leftist indoctrination since before we were born, and it will continue that way for a long time.

    Will it get worse in 10 years? Maybe, maybe not, but it will likely be that way until long after we're dead and gone.

    I actually thought it was bad when I was in college in the early '90s, but that was downright tame compared to the bombardment kids experience today.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. These Skatz guys are ruining the forum
    By Scandinavian Bob in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 07-10-2019, 10:21 PM
  2. Video game documentaries (for the geeks, yo!)
    By Cupid Stunt in forum The Hacker's Delight
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2018, 07:19 PM
  3. ***CLASSIC VIDEO GAME THREAD***
    By TheTemplar in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 08-23-2016, 05:46 PM
  4. *** OFFICIAL *** 1980s Laser Disc Game Appreciation Thread
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2015, 11:08 PM
  5. Delta's new safety video is 1980s-themed
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 12:17 AM