Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

Thread: 8-Bit Philosophy: SJWs ruining your precious 1980s video game memories one week at a time

  1. #21
    Banned
    Reputation
    679
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    M.C.E.C.W.C.
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post


    I just watched them both again, and you are high as fuck, and the one bringing politics into a very complicated issue.


    Gender and sexuality rolls are a very complicated subject that you can't learn about by watching fox news.
    Your in luck. I was paying attention in high school biology, so I can probably help you out with any questions you may have about this complicated subject.

    Yeah right, I have read a lot of your posts, and in my opinion, you are way too fucked in the head to help anyone.

  2. #22
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    Actually, as much as I despise SJWs, I'm actually thankful they exist -- much in the way the left is thankful the fanatical religious right exists.

    Both are often caught saying/doing stupid things which the average swing voter finds insane, and both can be used to demonstrate that the other party is "out of touch".

    I realize that many Democrats aren't SJWs, and in fact some hate SJWs, but I'm watching that general school of thought come increasingly into mainstream acceptance within the Democratic Party. I believe some of this acceptance is a strategic error, where they believe that they have to coddle SJWs in order to maintain support and enthusiasm from young voters. It's an error because those young voters wouldn't be switching to the other side anyway, and yet the party's embracing of the SJW agenda is simply pushing moderate Democrats over the line to the right.

    I actually know more than one lifelong staunch liberal who got so disgusted by SJW antics in recent years that they're actually on the cusp of voting Republican. These aren't liberals who have changed or sold out because they got older and wanted to pay lower taxes. They still have the same strong beliefs as 10 years ago, but feel as if their own political party has gone off the deep end, and thus are moving to the right without even realizing it.

    You can say that's anecdotal, but what's not anecdotal was the Trump victory, which even defied exit polls. The whole SJW thing played a big role in that.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Actually, as much as I despise SJWs, I'm actually thankful they exist -- much in the way the left is thankful the fanatical religious right exists.

    Both are often caught saying/doing stupid things which the average swing voter finds insane, and both can be used to demonstrate that the other party is "out of touch".

    I realize that many Democrats aren't SJWs, and in fact some hate SJWs, but I'm watching that general school of thought come increasingly into mainstream acceptance within the Democratic Party. I believe some of this acceptance is a strategic error, where they believe that they have to coddle SJWs in order to maintain support and enthusiasm from young voters. It's an error because those young voters wouldn't be switching to the other side anyway, and yet the party's embracing of the SJW agenda is simply pushing moderate Democrats over the line to the right.

    I actually know more than one lifelong staunch liberal who got so disgusted by SJW antics in recent years that they're actually on the cusp of voting Republican. These aren't liberals who have changed or sold out because they got older and wanted to pay lower taxes. They still have the same strong beliefs as 10 years ago, but feel as if their own political party has gone off the deep end, and thus are moving to the right without even realizing it.

    You can say that's anecdotal, but what's not anecdotal was the Trump victory, which even defied exit polls. The whole SJW thing played a big role in that.
    I think in the very immediate future the antics of the Republican Party are going to cause more centrists to shift democrat. For as much nonsense as comes from the SJW camp, I think a lot of people are starting to realize the Trump/Fox News crew is a bigger immediate problem.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Un an unrelated note when I am bored at work I sometimes like to watch Youtube clips of guys easily breezing through NES games I could never beat as a child. Kid Icarus and Ghosts and Goblins are 2 that come to mind.

     
    Comments
      
      Daly: G&G is the most unbeatable game ever

  5. #25
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post


    Lurker the "centrist" who totally isn't a liberal but objectively criticizes the right, everyone.

    I just watched them both again, and you are high as fuck, and the one bringing politics into a very complicated issue.


    Gender and sexuality rolls are a very complicated subject that you can't learn about by watching fox news.
    The issue of gender actually isn't that complicated.

    The vast, vast majority of people feel like the gender they are born, and will often naturally gravitate toward the interests of others in their gender.

    Males do not need to be socialized and trained to be aggressive and find appeal in traditionally male interests/pursuits.

    Think back to your childhood. Were you interested in "boy" things because your parents forced it upon you, or because failing to have such interests would have left you alienated among male peers?

    Unlikely. You probably already had a natural interest in such things, and you probably also never had a strong desire to go play with Barbie dolls, even if there wasn't shame in it.

    However, as occurs in most large populations, aberrations exist. For whatever reason, some boys are born feeling female, while some girls are born feeling male. In addition to wanting to be the other gender, these people also tend to show interest in activities traditionally associated with the opposite gender. I believe this is something people are born into, and not a conscious choice. However, it is clearly an aberration, just like any other deviant desire or trait. While it's a harmless aberration, we shouldn't confuse it as "normal" within most of the population.

    The video absurdly states that gender is mostly a social construct, and that without it, we would have far more men acting like women and women acting like men.

    I find that to be completely untrue.

    If there was no social pressure or conditioning to "act male", most of us would still act male. I would, I presume you would, and I presume most of the readers on this forum would.

    We can even see the innate differences in gender showing itself in poker.

    Poker is an overwhelmingly male game. The SJWs like Justin Bonomo have long asserted that it's only a male game because females are harassed and made to feel unwelcome, but I don't believe that. This would mean that an equal number of females would have come into poker with the same desire to play as their male counterparts, but left it because of the harassment they received. Clearly that's not true. The girls just haven't shown up for the most part.

    Also, online poker should have been the great equalizer with that, as you can play without even revealing your gender to opponents. There are countless stories of guys who started playing online, and rose up to be great before setting foot in a live cardroom. Why didn't we see an equal number of females doing that? Why was online poker still overwhelmingly male -- in fact, even moreso than live poker?

    Or take your own wives and girlfriends. Do they/did they play poker regularly? Probably not. If they don't, why not? Is it because men harassed them and made them feel unwelcome, or is it because they just never really had the desire to do so? It's almost always the latter.

    I also find it interesting that several successful female players in the past decade are either lesbian (Vanessa Selbst, Vanessa Rousso) or hetero but with many masculine mannerisms (Kathy Liebert, Loni Harwood).

    I just don't understand why it's such a sin to say, "Yes, male and female brains are different, but we do have outliers on each side whose brains resemble the opposite gender more."

    I think the SJW left is afraid to admit this, because then it gives ammunition to those who want to use gender as a factor when judging the competency of a person in a certain area. They're terrified of attitudes like, "She's female, so we probably shouldn't hire her as a programmer, and go with a male candidate instead." And while I agree that's shitty and unfair, we also shouldn't bend over backward to believe gender is a social construct in order to "fix" issues of sexism. That's truly a case of the cure being more harmful than the ailment.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Reputation
    679
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    M.C.E.C.W.C.
    Posts
    1,993
    once again a 1000 words of you stating your opinion as FACT. You know how much I listen to your radio show, and in my opinion this habit of yours is the reason you have had a hard time building an audience. I am fond of you, but for a man your age this is a horrible look.

     
    Comments
      
      Deal: Druff's unlikeability is also his most prized value

  7. #27
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    Also to answer verminaard's question as to why this bothers me so much....

    It doesn't.

    But when I see some modern re-creation of beloved 1980s video game characters, I get excited and really want to watch, only to see that these characters have been co-opted for some kind of awful SJW message. (The gender one I posted was obvious, but the first 8-Bit Philosophy I watched had a title card which was ambiguous.)

    It's also a painful reminder of how the tech field has inexplicably gone mostly SJW, which is a big departure from what it used to be. In the '70s/'80s/'90s, a libertarian/anarchist type mindset was much more prevalent. The "Gilfoyle" character in Silicon Valley is in fact a throwback to that. Basically nobody gave a shit about anyone's feelings. Now it's done a complete 180, and the tech industry is infested with SJW types who are constantly searching for "victims" of whom they can whine on their behalf.

    If I had to guess, this probably sprung from the fact that many tech types were victims of bullying when younger, and they view sexism/racism/homophobia/transphobia as a form of bullying, and instantly feel they need to take up for the perceived underdog victim.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Also to answer verminaard's question as to why this bothers me so much....

    It doesn't.

    But when I see some modern re-creation of beloved 1980s video game characters, I get excited and really want to watch, only to see that these characters have been co-opted for some kind of awful SJW message. (The gender one I posted was obvious, but the first 8-Bit Philosophy I watched had a title card which was ambiguous.)

    It's also a painful reminder of how the tech field has inexplicably gone mostly SJW, which is a big departure from what it used to be. In the '70s/'80s/'90s, a libertarian/anarchist type mindset was much more prevalent. The "Gilfoyle" character in Silicon Valley is in fact a throwback to that. Basically nobody gave a shit about anyone's feelings. Now it's done a complete 180, and the tech industry is infested with SJW types who are constantly searching for "victims" of whom they can whine on their behalf.

    If I had to guess, this probably sprung from the fact that many tech types were victims of bullying when younger, and they view sexism/racism/homophobia/transphobia as a form of bullying, and instantly feel they need to take up for the perceived underdog victim.
    Well you can take solace in the irony that effective utilization of tech/social media platforms (created and run by mostly far left SJWs) is probably the main reason Republicans were able to sweep the executive and legislative branches in 2016 (with a little help from Russia).

  9. #29
    Diamond mulva's Avatar
    Reputation
    458
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,349
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    I just watched both of those videos, and if you came away with the feeling that either one of them had any SWJ agenda, you need to check your own bias.

    Both were nothing more than informative.


    Wake up, try to be honest with yourself, and grow as a human being.
    shut up man
    he can't help himself. he's just inherently awful
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.



  10. #30
    Gold MrTickle's Avatar
    Reputation
    399
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    once again a 1000 words of you stating your opinion as FACT. You know how much I listen to your radio show, and in my opinion this habit of yours is the reason you have had a hard time building an audience. I am fond of you, but for a man your age this is a horrible look.
    He's a lot more moderate on the radio.

  11. #31
    Druff he is simply paraphrasing what famous philosophers thought. Its an educational video series... Its not serving to say whether the view is correct or not...

  12. #32
    For instance here is a random video I found of them... looks like they just pick a philosopher and quickly some up their views. And shock... some philosophers have radical ideas...


  13. #33
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    For instance here is a random video I found of them... looks like they just pick a philosopher and quickly some up their views. And shock... some philosophers have radical ideas...

    That's true with the above video, but not the gender one I posted and several others.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    For instance here is a random video I found of them... looks like they just pick a philosopher and quickly some up their views. And shock... some philosophers have radical ideas...

    That's true with the above video, but not the gender one I posted and several others.
    Yes and they have plenty of videos like that which have nothing to do with left leaning politics.

    Most of their videos focus on a particular philosopher and try to explain their beliefs through examples. The video you posted is actually about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Butler

    They literally have hundreds of videos of which nearly all have nothing to do with SJW

    Its actually a pretty awesome channel if you have an open mind and want to learn about philosophers.


  15. #35
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    I saw the other videos.

    I wasn't complaining about the whole channel, but rather just the 8-Bit Philosophy series.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I saw the other videos.

    I wasn't complaining about the whole channel, but rather just the 8-Bit Philosophy series.
    Yes and again many philosophers are left leaning. But there also are many right learning philosophers which are also covered by the series.

    I mean shit they use Sartre ....


  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I saw the other videos.

    I wasn't complaining about the whole channel, but rather just the 8-Bit Philosophy series.
    Yes and again many philosophers are left leaning. But there also are many right learning philosophers which are also covered by the series.

    I mean shit they use Sartre ....




    Or how about Rousseau or Hobbes?


  18. #38
    And in case you wern;'t convince yet...

    A video defending trump from the 8 bit series...


  19. #39
    Banned
    Reputation
    679
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    M.C.E.C.W.C.
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I saw the other videos.

    I wasn't complaining about the whole channel, but rather just the 8-Bit Philosophy series.
    Yes and again many philosophers are left leaning. But there also are many right learning philosophers which are also covered by the series.

    I mean shit they use Sartre ....




    Or how about Rousseau or Hobbes?



    Yeah but, the first 2 used the words, GENDER and CAPITALISM so they have to be the work of those evil SJWs. SMH

  20. #40
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    5484
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    38,027
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    And in case you wern;'t convince yet...

    A video defending trump from the 8 bit series...

    This wasn't defending Trump.

    It was about the word "fascist", and stating that it's been overused to the point where people are tuning it out.

    It's the left criticizing the left for poor tactics, rather than ideology.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. These Skatz guys are ruining the forum
    By Scandinavian Bob in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 07-10-2019, 10:21 PM
  2. Video game documentaries (for the geeks, yo!)
    By Cupid Stunt in forum The Hacker's Delight
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2018, 07:19 PM
  3. ***CLASSIC VIDEO GAME THREAD***
    By TheTemplar in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 08-23-2016, 05:46 PM
  4. *** OFFICIAL *** 1980s Laser Disc Game Appreciation Thread
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2015, 11:08 PM
  5. Delta's new safety video is 1980s-themed
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 12:17 AM