Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealership leaves cap off oil cap off. What is my play?

Load Metric

Dealership leaves cap off oil cap off. What is my play?

Last week got my car serviced (have been going to dealership for last 2 years as car still under warantee). Noticed oil smell upon leaving but did not check under hood as I just assumed it was poorly done oil change (my mistake). Turns out after driving for 300kms I decide to look under hood as smell continued and see no oil cap. Cap was left in holding are under hood.... But obviously oil spilled all over front of car. Oil level seems okay.

Obviously not happy. Have contacted service manager and waiting to hear back. What is fair compensation and how should I proceed?

Load Metric
    I would post a pic of how much spilled but worried someone on here is going to martin carrico me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Last week got my car serviced (have been going to dealership for last 2 years as car still under warantee). Noticed oil smell upon leaving but did not check under hood as I just assumed it was poorly done oil change (my mistake). Turns out after driving for 300kms I decide to look under hood as smell continued and see no oil cap. Cap was left in holding are under hood.... But obviously oil spilled all over front of car. Oil level seems okay.

Obviously not happy. Have contacted service manager and waiting to hear back. What is fair compensation and how should I proceed?

Quote Originally Posted by DanDruff
    Honestly the compensation you receive for this relatively minor thing doesnt really matter too much. The most important part is that you feel like you made the low level person feel like shit and that you talked to at least 3 levels of supervision up

Comments

varys: Slick reps
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I would post a pic of how much spilled but worried someone on here is going to martin Curacao me.
    go back and collect your lifetime tire rotation voucher

Load Metric
    quit being a faggot and post your minivan.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Can you tell us what type of car it is?

This matters a lot.

Some manufacturers care much more about misbehavior on the part of the dealership.

At minimum:

- Demand they completely clean up the mess inside the car

- Demand they agree to fix, at their own expense, anything which breaks or has issues due to this spillage, whether now or in the future. (Get them to e-mail this to you, or get a printed copy with a signature from the service manager)

- Demand some kind of free service in the future as compensation

- Demand they check the oil levels again and top it off if necessary, obv

Load Metric
    Kia Forte (don;t imagine they care much)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Can you tell us what type of car it is?

This matters a lot.

Some manufacturers care much more about misbehavior on the part of the dealership.

At minimum:

- Demand they completely clean up the mess inside the car

- Demand they agree to fix, at their own expense, anything which breaks or has issues due to this spillage, whether now or in the future. (Get them to e-mail this to you, or get a printed copy with a signature from the service manager)

- Demand some kind of free service in the future as compensation

- Demand they check the oil levels again and top it off if necessary, obv
    mess inside the car... question mark
    demand demand ain't canadian
    molotov cocktail the place if unsatisfied

Gold
    Load Metric
    Why does everyone on this site try to profit off of the mistakes of others? I had this done to my car about 15 years ago. You know what I did? I put the cap back on and kept driving.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    Why does everyone on this site try to profit off of the mistakes of others? I had this done to my car about 15 years ago. You know what I did? I put the cap back on and kept driving.
    Profit?

I didn't say he should sue them for thousands of dollars.

I said he should force them to fix it, clean it, and ask for something for his trouble.

It's called getting what you paid for.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Exactly

Load Metric
    If this is a large chain start as high up their corporate ladder as possible instead of the bottom. Their company obviously fucked up & makes the whole company looks like a bunch of morons. Well, not really but there is a good chance that you get hold of someone that thinks this. They will not be as concerned about making the books balance as making you a happy customer.

Left the oil stick out of my lawn mower once. Ruined the engine. Sucks having to use a push mower after getting used to riding.

You got lucky.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    Profit?

I didn't say he should sue them for thousands of dollars.

I said he should force them to fix it, clean it, and ask for something for his trouble.

It's called being a Jew.

FYP

Load Metric
    obv he deserves this for driving a kia forte

Comments

varys: For saying it all

Gold
    Load Metric
    Before you do ANYTHING else, check your oil level. Some cars will puke enough oil through an open oil cap to empty the crankcase and obviously that's very, very bad for your engine. If there's no oil on the dipstick you need to proceed carefully. What you really want to know is exactly how much oil is left in your oil pan. The car should not be driven without being full per manufacturer's specs.

NO OIL ON THE DIPSTICK:

The only way you'll really know how much was lost is to add some oil, or drain it and measure it, and the dealership may choose not to believe you when you tell them you added oil back to it yourself or drained it yourself. If you check the oil and there is no oil on the dipstick, tow the vehicle to ANOTHER service shop, inform them of the issue, and have them document on a repair order how much oil they found in the crankcase. You'll end up having to pay for the cost of an oil change, at the very most. If they do change the oil and filter, demand up front that you are given the oil filter they remove, because this can carry evidence of internal engine damage. Bring along a gallon ziploc for this. At this point, the shop you bring it to will be able to run the engine with a full crankcase and any obvious major internal engine damage will usually manifest itself as noise. Minor engine damage may not show up for years, and usually ends up shortening the expected life span of your engine. You have a case for compensation here, but it's tough to prove and tougher to get compensated. Best case scenario is that the engine knocks like a bitch and you get a new engine on the house. Obviously this will have to be done by the offending dealer.

OIL ON THE DIPSTICK, BUT LOW:

Likely won't be any long term damage. Demand they clean your engine bay and undercarriage until there is no trace of oil. They'll do the engine bay obviously, but all that oil is subject to gravity and highway speeds, which will send all that oil to the rear of the vehicle eventually, leaving an oily mess if the undercarriage isn't cleaned. Might even want to have another shop check it out on a hoist afterwards to make sure they cleaned it to your satisfaction.

Also insist on at least one free oil change, and the target would be three free oil changes. Also wouldn't hurt to insist on a repeat engine bay cleaning at some point in the future, since petroleum products cause accelerated deterioration of rubber hoses. You don't want other leaks springing up in the future due to softened radiator, power steering, or transmission cooler hoses that were soaked in engine oil and not cleaned properly.

EITHER WAY:

Make sure you change your oil as per manufacturer's specs from now until the end of time just in case there's long term engine damage. Get receipts, and keep them. If you do your own oil changes, keep receipts for the purchase of the oil and filters. If something pops up down the road, proper maintenance is the first thing they'll want proof of, and a lack of it will be the reason you don't get shit.

But what the fuck do I know, I'm just a greaseball oil change monkey, right?

Comments

The_Lurker: listen to this greaseball

Dan Druff:

OSA: From the makers of Bar Rescue, comes, Auto Rescue with wrenchjockey

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Solid Advice From The Best Moustache On PFA Rep

MumblesBadly: Solid

BetCheckBet:
    Last edited by wrenchjockey; 02-22-2018 at 07:26 PM.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I missed the 300km part. Not a car guy I take it.
    Also, oil spilled all over front of car? Do you mean engine compartment or did you not notice the Exxon spill on your bumper. Get Finklestein to make a call for you

Gold
    Load Metric
    Missed the "oil level seems ok" on the first read of the OP.

Your engine will be fine, but as I said, make sure you get it meticulously cleaned ASAP and get your free shit. If they balk, tell them your social media reviews will reflect their customer service, good or bad. Follow up on that in either case. If they take care of you, go on Google or Facebook and tell people you had an issue and they resolved it to your satisfaction. No need to mention exactly what happened, just that you had an issue. If they fuck you, well...go nuts.

Also remember that oil change guys are entry level, often recent graduates from tech schools or high school. They fuck up, and sometimes they fuck up bad. It's an opportunity to train the kid and hopefully he learns something from it. I'm not afraid to admit I left an oil cap or two off in my early days, and I changed my routine to make sure it didn't happen again.

Comments

BetCheckBet:
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Load Metric
    I would post a pic of how much spilled but worried someone on here is going to martin Curacao me.
    If you ever want to post a pic, take a screenshot of the pic and then post that. There won't be any meta data. (snag.gy or gyazo are both good options)

Load Metric
    (a) please measure you travel distance in miles

(b) don't buy a Kia next time

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Has there been a mass shooting at a car dealership before?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    Has there been a mass shooting at a car dealership before?
    White kids get there cars serviced by there parents bro.

Thread Information