Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More evidence that COST and the black-box billing system are the main problem with US healthcare

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

More evidence that COST and the black-box billing system are the main problem with US healthcare

The $17,850 Urine Test, folks: https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/healt...ner/index.html

Somehow this woman's dad, a doctor himself, chose to pay $5,000 of it, fearing a hit on her credit.

Being a doctor, he should have known this was a scam, and should have refused to pay. (He now says he regrets paying.)

He feared the hit against her daughter's credit, not realizing that in most cases, companies will forgive black marks on your credit if they're medical-related (for exactly this reason).

So what happened here?

This was the "lab scam", which goes as follows:

- Shady doctor orders an unnecessary (or mostly unnecessary) test, and suggests patient visits a nearby lab

- Patient doesn't check if lab takes their insurance, or lab lies to patient and claims they do, when they actually don't

- Patient is forced to sign standard-looking paperwork, promising to pay for all tests done there

- Lab now has a blank check to bill patient for many times the going rate of the tests, and patient is legally responsible

- Lab threatens to hurt patient's credit and/or sue them if they don't pay

- Lab ultimately agrees to "settlement" with patient, which is still many, many times more than the going rate for the test

This same urine test should have been under $200, and under $100 in many cases. Here it was almost $18,000.

How does this scam work so well?

Because medical billing in the US is a "black box", meaning that the patient rarely knows the cost of any test or procedure until AFTER it's done.

Also, any "out of network" doctor, hospital, medical facility, or lab can charge what they want, and the patient will be legally responsible for it.

The only price control comes when the provider is "in network", but even then, the prices can still be unexpectedly high for seemingly simply tests/procedures, and the patient is still responsible for a lot of money if they have a large deductible.

Healthcare is the only industry in the US where the customer doesn't know the cost of what he's buying until after he buys it (and is legally responsible to pay for it!)

This is wrong, wrong, wrong!

Some of you will say socialized medicine is the answer.

NO!

This will simply shift the bill from the individual patient to the government, and we will all pay for these scams through our taxes.

What about price controls, such as what's done with Medicare?

That will prevent outrageous overcharges like this, but still won't prevent unnecessary expensive tests and procedures, which is actually the more lucrative and common scam than the "overcharge patient without insurance" scam.

Neither party seems to give a shit about the COST of healthcare and the terrible, opaque billing system. Republicans want the patients to pay. Democrats want the government to pay. It's a shell game, where the problem remains, but the one paying for it switches around.

Sad!

I actually have a few solutions to this:

1) Make this "in-network"/"out-of-network" price differential illegal. Require that all facilities which take insurance charge all patients the same amount for the same procedures. The only difference between "in network" and "out of network" will be the amount the insurance actually pays. Only providers taking NO insurance should have the right to charge what they want, and this needs to be clearly disclosed to and signed for by the patient.

2) Other than true emergencies, an ESTIMATE OF COST OF SERVICES, including insurance coverage, needs to be provided to each patient prior to service. This should not be difficult to do in 2018, after some initial change to the way billing systems interface with insurance companies.

3) Clamp down hard on medical fraud, with stiff jail sentences and automatic loss of licenses.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, if any of you are ever victims of a medical billing scam or semi-scam, DO NOT PAY ANYTHING, and dig your heels in.

Do not let threats against your credit scare you. Tell them to eat shit, and that you're not paying a dime unless they come to a fair agreement.

DO NOT pay a partial bill and agree to discuss the rest later. Do not pay a penny until they adjust your bill down to something fair, and send you a new bill as proof.

When asked to pay a partial bill during such a dispute, I've told providers, "I don't pay incorrect bills" or "I don't pay bills I see as unfair or unethical. I will pay when we come to an agreement."

Bottom line is these places want to get PAID, and they will accept something over nothing. So if you make it clear they are getting ZERO POINT ZERO unless they back down and reduce your bill to something reasonable, often they will.

If they do agree, PAY NOTHING UNTIL THEY SEND YOU WRITTEN PROOF of the new bill.

Also, DO NOT GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO ANY MEDICAL PROVIDER. They will almost always have it on their form when you sign up as a new patient, but you should leave it blank. Usually they will accept this without question. If they balk, tell them that you do not provide this to anyone except required by law, due to identity theft concerns. If they claim it's required by law, tell them it's not. If they claim it's needed for insurance billing, tell them it's not, and let them know they can use the info on your insurance card to bill you.

They want your SSN so they can attack your credit (or threaten to) in case you have a dispute with them!

Load Metric
    Has it ever occurred to you that this kind of stuff is the reason "Obamacare" had no chance to work.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Has it ever occurred to you that this kind of stuff is the reason "Obamacare" had no chance to work.
    Yes and no.

Obamacare was a fail because it was hastily-constructed and very flawed.

But yes, the high costs are part of what are causing premiums to skyrocket.

Unlike most Republicans, I am not against the mandate to have health insurance. I think that's only fair -- you need to pay into the system when healthy if you want to get the benefits of it when sick.

However, I do think there should be an opt out where you can refuse to get health insurance, but you agree at the same time that you will not be treated if you can't afford it and have no insurance. This probably isn't practical, though, because while fair in theory, it's hard to justify simply letting people die because they were greedy when younger and didn't feel like signing up for health care.

So the mandate is probably the best idea, honestly.

Obamacare also has other ridiculous flaws, such as requiring men to pay for maternity care coverage (for themselves), and adults being forced to pay for pediatric dental care (for themselves).

The biggest problem with Obamacare is the fact that very few doctors take it, due to the low payments it gives doctors compared to other forms of insurance. Many doctors simply opt out of it, so people are left with shit doctors for the most part -- the ones desperate for patients.

It gives low payments both because the cost of care is too damn high AND the young, healthy people aren't signing up in as great of numbers as expected.

I do feel that Obamacare should be reworked, and something similar (but better and more sensible) should replace it.

Load Metric
    woah dude whys it gotta be black

tine are u seeing this

Load Metric
    You've missed the point. "Obamacare" had zero chance because there were waaaaaaaay too many people making waaaaaaaay too much money to just let it happen. I don't know how you don't see this tbh.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Also, anybody who thinks the premiums are going back to where they were now that they are getting rid of the ACA are fucking delusional. These people have found a way to make even more money & there's no fucking way they're giving that shit up now.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Platinum
    Load Metric
    You have family members that are doctors. Are they willing to make 1/4 of what they currently do once the system is fixed? Half? I know a lot of doctors. Every single one of them thinks they are already underpayed for what they do. I am not sure your plan to reduce medical care costs is going to go over very well on the other side.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You've missed the point. "Obamacare" had zero chance because there were waaaaaaaay too many people making waaaaaaaay too much money to just let it happen. I don't know how you don't see this tbh.
    Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Insurance companies don't like this cost situation, as they are the ones who take it up the ass the most.

Unlike other injustices which don't get corrected due to rich corporate donors engaging in lobbying, this situation honestly appears to be linked to the fact that neither side really "gets it" regarding what is the biggest problem with our health care system.

Republicans think everything is mostly fine, and that liberals are just trying to force the rich and middle-class to shoulder the full burden of everyone else's healthcare. Their eyes are closed to the actual problems in US healthcare, and they believe that making a few changes such as opening interstate competition for insurance and first world international mail order prescriptions will fix the problems we do have.

Democrats think that socialized medicine will solve everything. Their eyes are closed to the underlying problems with our entire healthcare billing structure, and that shifting the burdern to the taxpayer isn't going to solve our cost problem.

Sadly I think it's going to be many years until they get this right.

We will probably go to a socialized medicine model after more years of fail of the existing model (possibly during the next Democratic Presidency), then that will be a disaster, and perhaps only then will we see any useful reform.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    You have family members that are doctors. Are they willing to make 1/4 of what they currently do once the system is fixed? Half? I know a lot of doctors. Every single one of them thinks they are already underpayed for what they do. I am not sure your plan to reduce medical care costs is going to go over very well on the other side.
    Nobody in my family thinks they are underpaid.

Also nobody in my family is engaging in scam/semi-scam/deceptive billing practices.

I actually had this conversation with my brother about a year ago, and he told me he is disgusted seeing a lot of the unnecessary expensive testing some other cardiologists do, especially since sometimes these tests can be harmful AND unnecessary.

But to answer your question, no, I don't feel that doctors making extra money from deceptive billing practices should continue to bring in that type of income.

Load Metric
    I think we'll end our discussion if you really think the insurance companies are "taking it up the ass".

That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Comments

The_Lurker: I luv you man
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think we'll end our discussion if you really think the insurance companies are "taking it up the ass".

That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.
    You think they are enjoying getting scammed by medical providers and paying insane money for unnecessary tests?

Insurance companies would actually benefit huge if medical billing was reformed.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    the billing system is pretty insane

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/m...s-so-much.html

Load Metric
    Couldn't agree more. Every now and again Mrs Daly got a shot in her back for pain.

Same office, same doctor, same procedure.

November 2014 $250
    March 2015 $250
    July 2015 $250
    October 2015 $250

January 2016 $15,000. Doctor works for a new group as of 1/1/16, didn't mention it before the procedure.

Had collections call us for 2 years. Out insurance sent us a check for $4,400 to give them but they wouldn't agree that they would take it as final restitution. We told them fuck off and they got nothing. Expired check is still sitting on my desk.

Comments

hongkonger: good for you

MumblesBadly: Thank you for standing tall against that criminal billing practice!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Every now and again Mrs Daly got a shot in her back for pain.

November 2014 $250
    March 2015 $250
    July 2015 $250
    October 2015 $250

January 2016 $15,000. Doctor works for a new group as of 1/1/16, didn't mention it before the procedure.

Had collections call us for 2 years. Out insurance sent us a check for $4,400 to give them but they wouldn't agree that they would take it as final restitution. We told them fuck off and they got nothing. Expired check is still sitting on my desk.
    You should have cashed the check regardless.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

November 2014 $250
    March 2015 $250
    July 2015 $250
    October 2015 $250

Thought about it - but didn't want to go to jail for insurance fraud. We had zero intention on paying those assholes $15K

Load Metric

Thought about it - but didn't want to go to jail for insurance fraud. We had zero intention on paying those assholes $15K
    It wouldn’t have been insurance fraud. Reach out next time.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Tellafriend is correct.

I had a similar situation to Daly's, and I initially cashed the check.

When Ben was a toddler, he banged his face on a table and got a cut near his eyebrow. We wanted it stitched up by a plastic surgeon (since it was on his face) and went to the ER.

Insurance covered the ER visit and the plastic surgeon, who did a good job. Between that and the eyebrow covering it, you can't even tell it happened now.

Anyway, he was too young to be able to sit still for stitches being applied to his face, so they had to put him in a semi-sleep state. An anesthesiologist was required, and there was one who worked at the hospital.

I asked him, "Are you also covered by our insurance", and he said he didn't know (lol).

I figured that if the hospital was on our plan, so was the anesthesiologist working for them. Besides, the surgeon didn't work for the hospital and came in specially for this, so I wasn't going to make him wait, obviously.

A few weeks later, I got a bill from the anesthesiologist's office claiming I owed $950. Turned out they WEREN'T on my insurance!

I called my insurance and complained about it. Insurance agreed that, due to the anesthesiologist working for a covered hospital and not being on the plan himself, I was left in a situation with "no choice at a preferred provider to use a non-preferred doctor", and they covered it.

However, they only would cover $770, and sent me a check for that. I deposited it immediately.

I called back the anesthesiologist's office and told them the insurance paid me $770, and asked if they would accept that to satisfy the bill.

They told me no.

I replied that the insurance told me $770 was the maximum allowed compensation had he been on their network.

They still told me no.

I told them I wasn't sending them a dime.

They asked me to send them the $770 and then we would discuss the remaining $180 after that. In fact, they told me they were not going to negotiate unless I paid them the $770 first.

I told them to eat shit, and that they were either getting $770 or $0. I told them I only pay bills I agree with, and that I don't make partial payments.

They finally backed down and said I could pay $770. I demanded an official bill showing $770. When it arrived, I saved it and paid the $770 to them.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Standing tall against the medical billing extortion rep

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Tellafriend is correct.

I had a similar situation to Daly's, and I initially cashed the check.

When Ben was a toddler, he banged his face on a table and got a cut near his eyebrow. We wanted it stitched up by a plastic surgeon (since it was on his face) and went to the ER.
    Prolly was listening to radio.

But seriously, glad to hear he's ok.
    Last edited by OSA; 02-19-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    None of the necessary changes will occur unless we have candidates who aren't funded by the HC industry.
    Name:  JD_AlisonHartson_Donate_1200x630_110217.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  204.7 KB
    Here's one that doesn't accept corporate cash, she's running to replace the queen of corruption d Fein.
    Perhaps she'll adopt the changes you propose in a bill.

Thread Information