Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever want to see what would happen if Johnny from Karate Kid restarted Cobra Kai in 2018, and then Daniel LaRusso wanted to fight him? Me neither.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by David USF View Post
    New trailer

Trailer looks decent. Naturally some cheesiness, but still looks like a decent plotline. Hard to believe they did not put this on the big screen, going to be interesting if they can draw interest over 10 episodes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Watched episode #1.

Will watch #2 later.

That's all YouTube gives for free. Then you have to subscribe to lol YouTube Red to get the other 8. Probably on a torrent somewhere. Fuck YouTube/Google and their censorship/demonetizing bullshit against hardworking content creators.

Wasn't perfect, but wasn't bad. It was actually better than I expected. Was nice to see that they didn't go for the simplistic "good guy versus bad guy" approach, but rather expanded Johnny's already complex character (which was alluded to but never explored much), and instead portrayed him as a bitter-but-decent guy whose misfortunes were mostly a result of a combination of bad decisions and bad luck. Daniel was portrayed as also a decent guy, but somewhat arrogant.

Episode #1 was strictly from Johnny's point of view, and I assume the rest of the series follows that. This differs from the three Karate Kid movies featuring Daniel, where he was the center of that universe.

On the negative side, it had some cheesy and ultra-contrived elements. It also was the opposite of subtle.

Having spent a lot of time in the San Fernando Valley during my life, I enjoyed seeing the modern setting there.

They also introduce a skinny Mexican kid (whose look isn't too different than '80s Daniel LaRusso) who gets bullied by kids at his high school, and who becomes Johnny's student at the revived Cobra Kai.

The comments on episode #1 are mostly positive, and it seems to be well received, including by those who thought it would be full of fail prior to seeing it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

michael: this was surprisingly fun

Load Metric
    Patton Oswalt wrote a surprisingly glowing review for the whole series, make of that what you will.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Saw Episode 1 and am actually considering getting Youtube Red just to watch this.

Load Metric
    i honestly feel like someday, im going to get youtube red, but there have to be some more bells and whistles to make it really worth the plunge for me. and i dont even know what they are, but im thinking like, foreign tv channel broadcast access, some sort of dvr function, so on.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    First month of Youtube Red is free. Just sign up, watch the series and cancel before the month is up if you don't want to pay

Cubic Zirconia Reuben Hr. Klitz's Avatar
    Load Metric
    https://seriestop.co/show/cobra-kai-...on/1/episode/3

Binged watched it today....... not aweful. But fuck........ does everything have to be turned into a fucking multi year series?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i honestly feel like someday, im going to get youtube red, but there have to be some more bells and whistles to make it really worth the plunge for me. and i dont even know what they are, but im thinking like, foreign tv channel broadcast access, some sort of dvr function, so on.
    Youtube TV is the more complate cord-cutter solution from youtube, $40 a month, has all the standard cable channels (or a bunch of them anyway), dvr functions, available on tons of devices, and includes Youtube Red.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/begin/

Load Metric
    Just finished all 10 episodes. It was actually pretty decent. Nice surprise cameo at the end. Looking forward to seeing more of him in season 2.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I watched the entire first season a couple days ago and enjoyed it.

It's nothing that amazing but has that nostalgic feeling for people who enjoyed the original film.

On imdb the series has a 9.3 rating which is too high imo.

That parody video put up a few years ago on youtube by some guy showing how Johnny was the real hero likely played a part in Youtube creating this series.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    I watched the entire first season a couple days ago and enjoyed it.

It's nothing that amazing but has that nostalgic feeling for people who enjoyed the original film.

On imdb the series has a 9.3 rating which is too high imo.

That parody video put up a few years ago on youtube by some guy showing how Johnny was the real hero likely played a part in Youtube creating this series.
    It actually has more similarity to the 2007 "Sweep the Leg" music video I posted earlier in this thread.

In that video, Johnny was middle-aged, poor, washed up, and constantly reliving his defeat against Daniel. He then fantasizes what it would have been like to have won at that tournament (in a scene containing most of the Karate Kid stars, at 2007 age, but made up to kinda look young again.)

At the end, Daniel accidentally his Johnny with his car.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    ^^^ - that too! Their have been other videos on the movie that I'm sure with the ability to track search activity they figured the show could work.

This is one huge advantage for anything youtube backs on their network/service is they know exactly how popular something can be based on search activity stats.

Load Metric
    Just finished all 10 episodes. It was actually pretty decent. Nice surprise cameo at the end. Looking forward to seeing more of him in season 2.

Was the cameo Martin Kove? I assume it has to be him. His career has been real active lately, been starring in a lot of things. Ironically, he has had a much more active movie career than Ralph Machio. Elisabeth Shoe has been spotty at best since the mid 90s.

I might watch it, I dunno. There are so many great documentaries on right now it's tough to watch anything fiction.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Draymond View Post

Was the cameo Martin Kove?

I assume it has to be him. His career has been real active lately, been starring in a lot of things. Ironically, he has had a much more active movie career than Ralph Machio. Elisabeth Shoe has been spotty at best since the mid 90s.

I might watch it, I dunno. There are so many great documentaries on right now it's tough to watch anything fiction.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Okay, I'm actually into this now.

Watched episodes 1-4 and it's good.

The "mean girl" high school blond chick is way over the top, though. They could have created a "bitch" character without making her the pure embodiment of evil.

The main villain (the Asian high school bully -- who reminds me a lot of punks I've played at Commerce) is a lot better drawn.

Load Metric
    Just finished watching. Definitely a lot better than I thought it would be. Although there is some pretty bad acting.

Ready for season 2!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post
    Just finished watching. Definitely a lot better than I thought it would be. Although there is some pretty bad acting.

Ready for season 2!
    I've watched 5 episodes, and I have to agree.

There are some portions where the acting is bad (not by Zabka or Macchio), and other portions where the writing is pretty cheesy/bad.

Despite that, the underlying concept behind the show is good, and overall it's pretty well executed.

Famed '70s-'80s executive producer Stephen J. Cannell once described his training as a young man under older executive producer Roy Huggins. He said that Huggins instructed him to both read the scripts carefully and watch the finished product, and then "cut out the crap" wherever he noticed it. He said that lesson stuck with him over the years, especially during his work on The Rockford Files.

Cobra Kai definitely needs some crap cut out of it, but fortunately these tend to just be small segments. For the most part, it's interesting, fun to watch, and remains far more true to the source material than any of the awful Karate Kid sequels.

Load Metric
    I watched the free episodes. They are entertaining after a few drinks, but you can easily see the production quality issues as well as acting issues. I think this will lose steam big time second year.

This would have been a homerun sequel if it had come out as a movie on the big screen, from Johnie's viewpoint. Remember Grand Torino? You could have Johnie as very politically incorrect Karate Instructor and mentoring a kid against Daniel LaRusso (who everyone hates now).

Oh well who cares.

Load Metric
    Watched 2 episodes and really enjoyed it. Liking the way they switched the hero/villain role.

Thread Information