Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever want to see what would happen if Johnny from Karate Kid restarted Cobra Kai in 2018, and then Daniel LaRusso wanted to fight him? Me neither.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    im onto episode 7 its way better that i would have expected praise todd

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Watched all of it.

Was very good. Will be interesting to see if they can keep up the momentum with season 2, or if we will be seeing the usual degradation in quality from a surprise hit series in their sophomore season.

On a side note, Ralph Macchio is a Trump supporter. I wonder if YouTube knew this when they greenlit the show!

I will say that they kept politics completely out of the show, though there were a few light jabs in the early episodes against SJWs and PC culture.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Yeah, it's a fun show. I like that Johnny is sort of an asshole. He is an anti-hero.
    There are some weak points in some of the writing and acting, but I found the show addictive just for the general story. Flawed but very enjoyable.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Have you guys seen this youtube clip that posits that Daniel is the real bully in Karate Kid?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive_Bar_Dave View Post
    Have you guys seen this youtube clip that posits that Daniel is the real bully in Karate Kid?
    It was posted before.

But I have to imagine the writers of Cobra Kai saw this YouTube video, because Johnny's description of his issues with Daniel were pretty much taken straight from the narrative here.

Load Metric
    The critic portion of Rotten Tomatoes gave the series a 100% which is unheard of, and they had like 40 critics review it so the sample size is quite decent. There seemed to be a relief by all the critics that they did not do the natural thing Hollywood does on 80s remakes which basically just retells the same story that worked 30 years ago. That fact there is no Myagi character this go around seemed to be a relief.

I just read YouTube was actually shocked at the results and immediately signed up for another year. It starts filming this fall. I have not seen anything other than the free episodes, but to make Daniel semi-douchy is brilliant. I think the Rocky series would have strong benefited if like 10 years ago Rocky came back as the douche promoter and Mr. T as the manager was the guy everyone was rooting for.

One thing is for certain, You Tube will make killer profits as they are likely paying the actors under a $1M a piece for the entire year since everyone's career from the original Karate Kid stalled badly the last 20 years. In fact Johnny has been basically a ghost just taking bit parts.

Comments

BCR: Agree that it was brilliant

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive_Bar_Dave View Post
    It was posted before.

But I have to imagine the writers of Cobra Kai saw this YouTube video, because Johnny's description of his issues with Daniel were pretty much taken straight from the narrative here.

Yeah I saw this YouTube a few years ago and thought the same thing when I saw the clip. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t rule out the entire premise of this show was inspired by that YouTube clip.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A nice thing about the series is that there's no actual villain among the main characters -- rather just a lot of realistically drawn flawed characters who have conflicts with one another.

Look at the Cobra Kai students. Instead of being sadistic assholes as depicted in the original movie, these kids are mostly victims of bullying whose immaturity causes them to be unable to fully handle their newfound ability to defend themselves (and their change in social standing). And their sensei, Johnny, rather than again being a sadistic asshole like Kreese, is a flawed anti-hero type who overall means well, but often makes mistakes in the way he goes about things.

At the same time, Daniel is a bit on the stubborn/pretentious/arrogant side, but is also still the good guy we remember from the movies.

Even Johnny's delinquent son was humanized, and in fact seems to be the most mature of all the kids.

There are a few pure villainous characters (the Asian bully, the bitchy blond chick), but they are mostly minor and have faded to the background as the series has progressed.

Also, props to the writers for not using Johnny's character as a slam on Trump. He's pretty much the prototypical Trump supporter -- white, lower-middle class, frustrated with life, middle-aged, not able to understand the weird overly-PC modern society... except they do not explore his politics at all. In fact, the show seems to somewhat validate his feelings of frustration. We aren't supposed to believe he's perfect or without fault, but we're also supposed to understand that he's overall good-hearted and constantly frustrated by a combination of bad luck and unfair circumstances. It would have been tempting to portray him simply as the unjustifiably angry, ignorant white guy, but they aren't really going that route.

Load Metric
    A nice thing about the series is that there's no actual villain among the main characters -- rather just a lot of realistically drawn flawed characters who have conflicts with one another.

Look at the Cobra Kai students. Instead of being sadistic assholes as depicted in the original movie, these kids are mostly victims of bullying whose immaturity causes them to be unable to fully handle their newfound ability to defend themselves (and their change in social standing). And their sensei, Johnny, rather than again being a sadistic asshole like Kreese, is a flawed anti-hero type who overall means well, but often makes mistakes in the way he goes about things.

At the same time, Daniel is a bit on the stubborn/pretentious/arrogant side, but is also still the good guy we remember from the movies.

Even Johnny's delinquent son was humanized, and in fact seems to be the most mature of all the kids.

There are a few pure villainous characters (the Asian bully, the bitchy blond chick), but they are mostly minor and have faded to the background as the series has progressed.

Also, props to the writers for not using Johnny's character as a slam on Trump. He's pretty much the prototypical Trump supporter -- white, lower-middle class, frustrated with life, middle-aged, not able to understand the weird overly-PC modern society... except they do not explore his politics at all. In fact, the show seems to somewhat validate his feelings of frustration. We aren't supposed to believe he's perfect or without fault, but we're also supposed to understand that he's overall good-hearted and constantly frustrated by a combination of bad luck and unfair circumstances. It would have been tempting to portray him simply as the unjustifiably angry, ignorant white guy, but they aren't really going that route.
    Basically someone taking that Falling Down review (Michael Douglas) from a couple years ago and making the series Anti-Trump.

Load Metric
    show is semi-mindless but also GOD. may keep youtube red around just cause all the damn commercials are so annoying otherwise

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I think it's a good show.. but what do I know.. I liked the 80,s Americana.. and yes lower middle class white people are living under a modern version of Jim crowe its meant to cull us and render us proactively marginalized and put into ghettos ala German style of the 1930,s...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Two pieces of news regarding Cobra Kai.

First, you can watch all 10 episodes of Season 1 for free now. Start here:

Also, the second season will drop shortly. Here is the trailer:

Sensei Kreese will be a big part of this one, apparently. Hopefully he's got a bit more dimension to his character than in the original movie.

Load Metric
    black kid in the dojo was in Nerds. My son has been taking karate about six years, now 13 has a brown belt. Really great for him, he is excelling in school on the deans list. It took a lot of sweat and hard work to get the brown belt, I like how the karate kid is in a black belt.
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 03-21-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Load Metric
    On a side note, Ralph Macchio is a Trump supporter. I wonder if YouTube knew this when they greenlit the show!

I will say that they kept politics completely out of the show, though there were a few light jabs in the early episodes against SJWs and PC culture.
    Are you possibly confusing Macchio with Baio?

(Yes, you are.)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post

Are you possibly confusing Macchio with Baio?

(Yes, you are.)
    No, I am not. He appeared on Steven Crowder, and while they didn't talk politics, no celebrity goes on that show to have a friendly talk with Crowder unless they like him and what he stands for. (Keep in mind Cobra Kai already blew up huge at that point, so they didn't need Crowder to promote it.)

Load Metric
    When I first heard they were doing this I could not have given less of a fuck. Now I'm geeked out waiting for the new season. Fucking nostalgia

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Season 2 is out and Episode 1 is available for free.

Comments

DirtyErnie: thanks for heads up

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

For some reason, nobody gave their impression of Season 2, despite it being out for 5 months.

It's funny, but despite liking Season 1, I didn't really feel the urge to watch Season 2. I think I sensed a letdown coming.

I just started watching, and am through 2 episodes. Still fairly good, but doesn't grab your attention like the first season. The problem is that this is more of a contiuation of Season 1 than anything new.

I do think the characters are very well drawn, with none of the main characters being irredeemable villains, and yet all are flawed -- just like in real life. However, there's one exception to this -- Daniel's wife. She's absolutely perfect. She's hot, she's intelligent, she's mature (which Daniel often isn't), she's sensible, she's professional (runs Daniel's dealership with him), and she's understanding. This character doesn't have a single flaw, which unfortunately means she's the only unrealistic character. I don't know why they drew her like this, given that all of the other characters have such depth. One interesting thing about the actress (Courtney Henggeler) is that, despite being hot, she also looks old for her age. I put her well over 40, yet she was only 36 during Season 1, and 37 now. Keep in mind that Ralph Macchio is 57 (but has always looked young for his age), so he's actually 20 years older than her! The Daniel LaRusso character is supposed to be 52 years old in 2019. It is implied in the series that his wife is in her 40s.

Don't post spoilers here unless it's in a spoiler tag.

Thread Information