Thread: *** Official 2018 Tech Bubble Thread ***

Load Metric

*** Official 2018 Tech Bubble Thread ***

Fun facts:

Compensation packages have dropped 30-40% in the last 5 years for the most important, senior roles.

The tech market is absolutely overwhelmed with wave after wave of total scrubs who can barely do their jobs and are desperate for work. Every year more of them show up with padded resumes desperately looking for a way to make rent, and a disturbing number of them get hired into roles that would normally go to 2 or 3 senior engineers.

Literal legends are suddenly trapped in their current jobs because they are totally priced out of the market. They dont even have lateral movement available; their only option is to accept a bargain basement base salary and a totally useless stock package if they are lucky.

Telecommuting did not change the world. There are a few employers who still embrace it but the vast majority of employers are insisting on physical presence in the office even if it means hiring scrubs.

The internet in and of itself is considered toxic and thats only going to get worse, so employers have to do more with less VC and that increasingly rare VC also means fewer new employers coming to market.

Tl;dr: yall niggas better learn how to mine coal.

Comments

Hockey Guy: Thank God the coal industry is making a comeback then.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I find the thing that has ruined the tech world the most is github and medium blogs have replaced a good old fashioned tech interview. It's bizarre.

Comments

Sanlmar: Interesting

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post
    I find the thing that has ruined the tech world the most is github and medium blogs have replaced a good old fashioned tech interview. It's bizarre.

Please elaborate! When a candidates resume hits my desk and I see a lot of white papers and code published, I generally look on that favorably and, providing the content demonstrates aptitude / proficiency, will fast track that candidate for an interview.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

I just got a job making 100k a year turning a steering wheel.......tight life nerds....
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintjewlips View Post

I just got a job making 100k a year turning a steering wheel.......tight life nerds....

The thread title is *** Official 2018 Tech Bubble Thread *** NOT Official Taxi Cab Bubble.

Load Metric
    Everyone in tech thinks they should get 10% raises per year and 30% bonuses.

And also thinks they are the top 10% of the talent too

Load Metric
    could always just pop xans and be a soundcloud rapper

Comments

sonatine: BASICALLY NEGS FOR BLOWING UP SPOTS

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post

Please elaborate! When a candidates resume hits my desk and I see a lot of white papers and code published, I generally look on that favorably and, providing the content demonstrates aptitude / proficiency, will fast track that candidate for an interview.
    How much of that code was actually written by the interviewee? Most of the junior devs just copy and paste and fiddle around with an already finished product and claim they did something. I know a guy that just recently got hired as a senior developer in SF getting paid $175K a year, that can't actually code anything. He is a great liar though. Interviewers will look at his github and assume he is an allstar, but really he just is the beneficiary of very long and great coattails.

Comments

sonatine: breath taking, point tkaen.

Load Metric
    I was in tech around 2000. Remember Y2K microprocessor yips? I was doing critical process products and that was the pinnacle of hiring madness.

You couldn’t hire a body to save your life. Headhunters were calling YOU and all your employees. Unless you lived it you really can’t imagine. Everyone was an arrogant fuck. Why not, it was 2000.

My kid luckboxed into Amazon IT. She is a product of the times. I don’t think she would have ever gotten in during ordinary times. She was a body and they would tool her up.

Kids just shouldn’t make this much money this easy

I try to tell her this ain’t real and she will look back on this as paranormal. I know she hears me but can’t internalize the full meaning. I fret about this a lot.

So she packs up her telecommuting computer and is off to Amsterdam, Belgium and Germany for two weeks.

“No Dad, as long as I get my work done they don’t care.”

No kid, you have them over a barrel and they have no choice. You need to be in the office. You will learn. This won’t last forever

Comments

sonatine: honestly she'll be fine. TC isnt going to factor into things negatively for her.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 02-05-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Thread Information