Thread: Stars of "Revenge of the Nerds" reminisce about the making of the movie

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Stars of "Revenge of the Nerds" reminisce about the making of the movie

Pretty interesting...

Several of the actors didn't even want to be in the movie, including Robert Carradine.

They were also concerned about the movie being seen as a poor man's Porky's or Animal House.

This was also back when the term "nerd" was just showing up in popular culture, and had a mostly negative connotation. (Master Scalir, who was 14 when this film aired, still doesn't want to wear glasses, for fear of being labeled a "nerd", remembering the negative usage of the term while he was in high school.)

Nowadays, it's actually the opposite, with many people labeling themselves "nerds" in order to get credit for being more intelligent or interested in tech/science than they actually are.

I found the '80s nerd culture to be charming, but the modern nerd culture to be mostly insufferable.

This was a good movie, but the sequels were all garbage, and eventually one of the sequels was actually a TV movie. Seriously.

Betty Childs will be 58 this year.

Load Metric
    We've got BUSH!
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Pretty interesting...

Several of the actors didn't even want to be in the movie, including Robert Carradine.

They were also concerned about the movie being seen as a poor man's Porky's or Animal House.

This was also back when the term "nerd" was just showing up in popular culture, and had a mostly negative connotation. (Master Scalir, who was 14 when this film aired, still doesn't want to wear glasses, for fear of being labeled a "nerd", remembering the negative usage of the term while he was in high school.)

Nowadays, it's actually the opposite, with many people labeling themselves "nerds" in order to get credit for being more intelligent or interested in tech/science than they actually are.

I found the '80s nerd culture to be charming, but the modern nerd culture to be mostly insufferable.

This was a good movie, but the sequels were all garbage, and eventually one of the sequels was actually a TV movie. Seriously.

Betty Childs will be 58 this year.
    Master Scalir should recognize that there are many many women who are attracted to "nerds" If they are genuine. Women are usually turned off, though, by someone trying to be something they aren't once they sense that the guy is putting on a front.

Suggestion for Ken: Get some glasses and take up painting as a serious hobby. A lot of women love it when a needy guy is creative in a visual art. Ken's attention to detail and obsessive nature is likely to spur him to create some interesting works.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Add it to the list of movies with unrealistic poker scenes.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    And ROTN was financed by Fox because they were looking for a tax writeoff due the massive amounts of money made from The Return of the Jedi. They had little faith in the movie and if it would have flopped, they wouldn't have lost much anyway. They didn't anticipate it being a hit

Name:  takashi-400x195_zpse80ca664.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  17.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    And ROTN was financed by Fox because they were looking for a tax writeoff due the massive amounts of money made from The Return of the Jedi. They had little faith in the movie and if it would have flopped, they wouldn't have lost much anyway. They didn't anticipate it being a hit

Name:  takashi-400x195_zpse80ca664.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  17.7 KB
    That was mentioned in the video, but I'm not sure it's true.

I guess it's possible.

Studios can often play with numbers and generate a bigger "loss" than really occurred, which is useful in a year where they had a huge hit which made huge $.

However, this movie came out in July 1984 and "Jedi" came out in May 1983, so that doesn't make much sense. I don't think Jedi made the studio that much in 1984.

It is possible that the studio was hugely profitable in 1984 for other reasons, and they saw "Nerds" as a freeroll, where either they have a flop where they can inflate losses for tax reasons, or they have something which makes them even more money.

I'm surprised "Nerds" was projected to be a failure, because the script was pretty good, and it had some uniqueness and quirkiness which could have (and did) easily capture the hearts of the audience.

It's not like a movie like "Titanic", which had a gigantic (and overrun) budget, was full of problems, and released several months too late. That movie's surprise success was more something which couldn't have been predicted.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Nerds was without a doubt one of the most played and funniest movies on TV in the 1980s and 1990s along with Police Academy and a few others that were non stop on HBO

Load Metric
    Found this video a couple of days age.

Watched most of it. The movie was better. James Cromwell was in the beginning. Was one of the Nerds father.

But seriously. That Booger was the man!!!

Comments

Muck Ficon: :noose

Thread Information