Thread: Encounter with skunk

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Encounter with skunk

Here's a situation I dealt with from the summer, involving a skunk. Tell me what you would have done.

I was camping with Benjamin and a few other people, and he and I were the only ones awake at about 2am, looking at the sky for meteors. It was during a meteor shower in August.

Some various small animals were walking around the campsite, foraging for food, which presumably they've learned over time, since the campsite has a constant stream of people who of course bring food with them.

We were sitting in lawn chairs, and eventually got used to the sound of the animals around us. Unfortunately, one of those animals was a skunk, and we didn't notice until it was fairly close.

I decided it wasn't a good idea to stand up and try to get away from it, because it might take it as an act of aggression and spray us.

I told Ben we should sit very still and quietly. The skunk then approached, circled our chairs, meandered around the area, and walked away. This took about 10 minutes until it finally left the immediate area of where we were sitting. Ben was very relieved.

When it got far enough away, I whipped out the powerful flashlight recommended by desertrunner, and kept shining it directly into the skunk's eyes. Being nocturnal, the skunk predictably did not like it, and kept trying to move away from it. Eventually the flashlight drove the skunk across the road, and it didn't come back.

I did not want to bust out the flashlight while the skunk was close, because I was afraid I would startle it, and get sprayed.

What would you have done in this situation?

Comments

Tellafriend: same; skunks are mostly nocturnal

Load Metric
    As if you’d be camping Tellafriend.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    As if you’d be camping Tellafriend.

in my younger days i would. also used to a lot of hunting. hence my limited knowledge of skunks. doubt i could still clean a deer. a simpler life/time.

Comments

Sanlmar: good grief … next you’ll be swapping recipes for possum stew and posting videos of Dolly Parton singing Jolene…. Instead, let’s pretend we didn’t see this

Platinum
    Load Metric
    First and foremost, you keep your food supply as far as you can away from where you are camping and sleeping - the further away the better. Im not sure where you were camping, but ill assume the biggest case scenario that there are large predators in the area. Research the best way to secure your food supply to keep it away from animals. That includes coolers and everything. For example, bears will most certainly try their best to open a cooler...secure that thing good. I've been there and done that over the years.

If you were doing a bunch of cooking, and enough where you feel you may have the smell on your clothes, DON'T keep those clothes in your tent or anywhere near your campsite when you go to bed.

Keep track and pick up all food related remnants that you may have dropped or forgot about.

Whether its a big animal or a small one, a vast majority of the time they are attracted to your camping area for one purpose - food...not humans. Usually if they are there, they smelled food

I know alot of this might sound obvious, but many people nonetheless do not follow it, probably for lack of knowledge and experience as to what can happen.

I learned a lot back in 1984 when my family and some relatives vacationed and camped in Yellowstone. I was only about 8 years old but that experience stuck with me for life when one night a bear was 20 feet away outside my tent looking for grub in the middle of the night as i peeked my head out of the tent. I most certainly would have pissed/shit my pants if there was anything available.

As far as your specific incident, it sounds like you probably did the best thing given the circumstances at that point.

Load Metric
    I only had one experience with a skunk. My previous dog got sprayed. Poor guy it was really bad .

Load Metric
    Should have called desert runner and quietly explain your situation as he is an expert with flash lights.

Load Metric
    Right approach, although little chance that a tamed skunk would get startled and sprayed.

They can get fucking big, too. I remember one morning walking to class on campus and there was a massive skunk the size of a small/medium dog poking about in a bush. Had always pegged them as slightly bigger than a squirrel and thought I was hallucinating.

I don't fuck with wildlife at all. Mountain lions are always in the back of my mind when I'm in the wilderness of the PNW. I've never encountered one while hiking but did see a pair cross the road as I approached a trail head in the car.

Mountain goats are a thing that you do encounter. A lot of idiots will approach them because, fuck it, it's a goat but they can be violent.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    When you're talking about a small mammal, such as a skunk, it is very uncommon for them to disregard the presence of awoke humans. To do so is to risk their existence.

Skunks don't parade around knowing they have a special weapon. That weapon is used when they are in fear. They are not looking for trouble

Thread Information