Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the "Do Not Call" list doesn't work, and you're getting more robocalls than ever. cc: Druff

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I was going to make a new thread, but I saw this one and decided to to use it because it is clearly still relevant - especially the part about closing the loophole or glassing India.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty fucking pissed and at my end - probably like the rest of you.

Just like most of you, I'm getting bombarded by numerous robocalls from spoofed numbers. Today had to be one of the worse days in the last few weeks or so, as I received 14 calls. 7 of them were before 10am and out of that, 2 of those were even before 8am.

I just upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S9. Now, before I did this, with my older Android phone, solving the Robo issue wasn't quite as bad (and I use that term loosely) because, using the phones built in functions, I could block not only specific phone numbers but I could also block prefixes (area codes etc). With my new phone, I can block specific phone numbers, but there are NO wildcards you can enter anymore. This is absolute BULLSHIT. Why the fuck would they do this?!

I do NOT want to download some shitty 3rd party app to block prefixes or anything else, but im not even sure if I have any other options at this point.

I have researched and researched some of the talked about apps out there and have been disappointed for one reason or the other.

To clarify, on my previous phone, I could enter whatever specific number or wildcard number I wanted, and it would simply block the number from even ringing. PERIOD, END OF STORY. Yes, it might still go to voicemail, but at least it would not ring or even display a notification that a particular number has called. The only way I would even know one of those numbers tried to call, was if I accessed my call log. After reviewing several apps in the store, the built in Android function still seemed like the best option because the 3rd party apps would often still ring for at least a split second and/or you would still get annoying notifications that some fucktard called you.

So, I guess my question is, is there another solution via using Android functions on stopping this or is there some HOF app that actually does the job im asking for?

I just cannot believe that in 2019 we are dealing with this scourge and nobody seems to have a real solution and/or congress hasn't gotten their head out of their ass to force phone companies to authenticate phone calls. I mean, are you fucking kidding me??

It's 2019 and spoofing phone numbers is LITERALLY childs play. A kind of a "case in point". My son was able to # spoof me a couple of days ago using a free app from the google store that made crank calls. I mean, I have to hand it to him; he tried this shit on me quite a while ago and I told him right away I knew it was a spoofed call and "if he wants to try and prank me, he needs to step up his game". So yeah, I guess he basically took me up on that and what he did the other day was...i gotta say...not bad - not bad son.

Anyway, not to go off on a tangtent or anything but can anyone make any recommendations to an actual good app that will maybe solve my problem?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Anyway, not to go off on a tangtent or anything but can anyone make any recommendations to an actual good app that will maybe solve my problem?
    Not sure about Android, but iPhone now has a feature where you can disable rings from numbers that aren't in your contacts. It'll show up in missed calls, but you'll never hear it. Only frustrating part is when I order food or something and then I miss the delivery guy's call. So I just turn it off sporadically if I'm expecting an unknown number.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SPIT this View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Not sure about Android, but iPhone now has a feature where you can disable rings from numbers that aren't in your contacts. It'll show up in missed calls, but you'll never hear it. Only frustrating part is when I order food or something and then I miss the delivery guy's call. So I just turn it off sporadically if I'm expecting an unknown number.

i have the iphone feature and verizon's spam id thing and i still have 5+ calls a day from spoofed numbers. all of them from indian call centers of course.

end of the day, the base protocol for VOIP needs to be patched against this and its unclear how one would do that without impacting essential functionality.

personally im just hoping either coronavirus or pakistan solves this issue once and for all.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

i have the iphone feature and verizon's spam id thing and i still have 5+ calls a day from spoofed numbers. all of them from indian call centers of course.

end of the day, the base protocol for VOIP needs to be patched against this and its unclear how one would do that without impacting essential functionality.

personally im just hoping either coronavirus or pakistan solves this issue once and for all.
    I'm confused, if you turn on the iphone feature then you won't get a ring from a number unless they're in your contact list. They're spoofing numbers in your contact list? I've never seen that (though it'd be genius).

Load Metric

I'm confused, if you turn on the iphone feature then you won't get a ring from a number unless they're in your contact list. They're spoofing numbers in your contact list? I've never seen that (though it'd be genius).

so the iphone feature does turn off unknown contacts but it still lights up the phone and shows a splash screen saying i missed a call, which tbh i find just as irritating since i never have my phone on ring anyway and when i need to be ready to get a call from say a food delivery nerd who cant find my house, i have to go through hoops.

point being its a grossly inadequate solution when we have massive open source databases filled with reputation assessments on 95% of the numbers these street shitters use.

the VZ solution is a step in that direction but a tiny one.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

I'll 1 up that. I once got a call from myself.

(•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The "only accept calls from whitelisted numbers" thing has been available for awhile on jailbroken iPhones, and I chose not to use it because there's a lot more legit calls from non-contacts numbers than you'd expect.

For example, if a business needs to call you, it can be from any phone number (not necessarily their listed one).

Also, given that I have a kid, I don't want to block any calls which might be coming from Ben's school during the day and that can come from one of many numbers.

The solution to this whole problem isn't easy, without remaking the entire way caller ID is transmitted and received, which will break legacy systems. That's why it has persisted for so long.

BTW, if a mass-whitelisting starts occurring, spam callers will just start spoofing numbers of local businesses, schools, or utilities.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    One possible idea how to prevent spam calls is to basically have a whitelist-and-answering-service combo, where non-whitelisted numbers will get forwarded to a human being who will then act as gatekeeper for the call. So if it's "Microsoft", "Dell", "The IRS", etc, the call will never come through, and if it's legit, the call will be transferred to the phone. The problem is that this will take a lot of manpower and would probably be too expensive for most people.

Load Metric
    there is so much inexplicable pushback against patching VOIP that at this point i have to assume its a national security issue.

Thread Information