Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the "Do Not Call" list doesn't work, and you're getting more robocalls than ever. cc: Druff

Load Metric

Why the "Do Not Call" list doesn't work, and you're getting more robocalls than ever. cc: Druff

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...92a_story.html

Cliffs: The Do Not Call list doesn't do much to stop robocalls. This is because there's plenty of people willing to just break the law, and it's very hard to catch them. The DNC list doesn't actually block numbers from being called, telemarketers are just supposed to police themselves. And if somebody calls you and you're on the DNC list, you can file a complaint. But that's unlikely to do anything. Most robo-callers are using spoofed numbers, so you don't actually know who's calling you. But even if you did, all the FTC can do is slap them with a huge fine ($11,000 per unauthorized call). But if the robocaller doesn't have the means to pay... oh well. In 2009 the FTC dished out $330 million in penalties for companies that broke Do Not Call rules. But they only collected $19 million. The rest were smaller operations that just folded their operations, a new operation popped up doing the same thing.

There needs to be stricter penalties for calling somebody on the Do Not Call list repeatedly, including jail time. Not just 'fines', which do nothing.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    i havent read the article because i dont need the liberal jew media to tell me what the bible already did, but if you really want to resolve this issue, you need to address the ability to spoof phone numbers.

as long as that exists, there can be no meaningful regulation.

we either need to eliminate that loophole or literally flatten every inch of india with the cumulative might of the developed worlds conventional weapons, and we need to do it at night when they are all napping off their evening rapes so as few as possible escape.

Comments

OSA: i agree

The_Lurker: 100% this

IamGreek: the only reasonable solution

Gordman: Glass the motherfuckers
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    My wife and I are constantly getting numbers that have the same area code and exchange as our numbers (both are different) and the last 4 digits are close to ours. If you try to call them back, you get a regular person that's completely clueless their number is being used for robocalling. I'm sure there's not much that can be done because how do you trace that shit?
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I just don't answer any phone call from a number I don't recognize.

Comments

OSA: thats the only solution

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i havent read the article because i dont need the liberal jew media to tell me what the bible already did, but if you really want to resolve this issue, you need to address the ability to spoof phone numbers.

we either need to eliminate that loophole or literally flatten every inch of india with the cumulative might of the developed worlds conventional weapons, and we need to do it at night when they are all napping off their evening rapes so as few as possible escape.

I am not sure why some regulation cant be made so that phone numbers are like IP addresses so there is some way to track it back to the source. If you had this, you could have "spam" filters as well that auto block the incoming calls. Basically, you cant have a number, or cant use that number to contact someone, without some verification that it is tied to a physical location.

It is getting super annoying and there seems to be a relatively easy fix to it all.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

I am not sure why some regulation cant be made so that phone numbers are like IP addresses so there is some way to track it back to the source. If you had this, you could have "spam" filters as well that auto block the incoming calls. Basically, you cant have a number, or cant use that number to contact someone, without some verification that it is tied to a physical location.

It is getting super annoying and there seems to be a relatively easy fix to it all.

if memory serves, this all become super exploitable around the time we broke away from pure copper infrastructure and started to deal with like, virtual IPX systems and so on, and no one wanted to deal with the issue then because it would have created huge headaches, but yeah i feel like enough is enough at this point, someone needs to sanity check this shit.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    This is not a solution if you do business on your cell phone.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Yep, the article talked about what a problem it is for businesses that need their phone line open. I think eventually technology will be able to fix this, in the same way that Gmail has almost completely done away with email spam.
    TRUMP 2024!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Some guy wrote about all of this a few years ago:

http://toddwitteles.net/todd-witteles/?p=1

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post

Yep, the article talked about what a problem it is for businesses that need their phone line open. I think eventually technology will be able to fix this, in the same way that Gmail has almost completely done away with email spam.
    Nah. Small businesses should still get solicited. Someone has to pay for my opulent meals that I am accustomed to eating after crushing quota

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Nah. Small businesses should still get solicited. Someone has to pay for my opulent meals that I am accustomed to eating after crushing quota
    It's in reference to robo calls. If you read the article it talked about how the robocall industry actually hurt the more legitimate telemarketers because people don't trust unrecognized numbers anymore.
    TRUMP 2024!

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Some guy wrote about all of this a few years ago:

http://toddwitteles.net/todd-witteles/?p=1

That was a good read.

My Galaxy Note 8 has something called Premium Caller ID (might even be a Sprint thing). It displays when a call is potentially spam/robocall and displays a special incoming call screen saying just that. It isn't always accurate, one call I got was marked "MN Government" but it was a spoofed caller ID style call.

Seems like they're close, but it needs some tweaks. Also needs to be a way to trace the spoofed caller IDs back to a source, but I'm sure that isn't as easy as it sounds.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Caller ID was developed in the 1980s and can be easily spoofed because there is zero verification built into the protocol.

In the 1980s, all calls were completed via large, well-known telephone companies, so there was no concern about spoofing.

Later, it became possible to essentially set up your own little phone company and complete the call yourself -- especially with VOIP -- and suddenly the caller ID data wasn't trustworthy anymore. If you set up your own VOIP operation, you can choose what to send for caller ID.

Unfortunately, changing this would be a massive undertaking at this point, as it will break all of these smaller systems attempting to complete calls.

Believe it or not, Caller ID is provided by the calling phone company, not the receiver, and it's send as a 1200 baud signal (lol) between the first and second ring. Most cell providers will ignore the "first ring" and not actually complete the call being received until the caller ID signal comes through. But on many home phones, you still won't see caller ID until the second ring starts.

There is no verification to the data being sent. The receiving phone basically asks the calling phone, "Hey, what's your number?", and that's what is displayed.

Oh, and have you seen your phone say "unknown" sometimes instead of "private" when the caller ID is blocked? Unknown doesn't mean it's blocked -- it just means that nothing was sent. Private means that something was sent, but with a little flag saying, "Please don't display me."

This is important because when you think you're blocking your caller ID, you're really not. Some receiving phone systems choose to ignore that "don't display" flag, and your number gets displayed anyway.

In fact, I have that going on with my phone. If you call me with a private number, I can see it anyway.

Back in the '90s, they introduced a feature where you had to show your caller ID to get through. However, you could get around it by calling with an unknown number, as it would only blocked numbers marked private. I found that feature to be obnoxious, so I always just called unknown (there were ways to do this) and pushed right through it.

But yeah, all of this allow robocallers to break the law and get away with it. Plus many of them aren't even based in the US, so they LOL at FTC fines.

Comments

sonatine: fucking VOIP.

Load Metric
    A loud siren horn played next to phone receiver stops most from calling back.

Banned
    Load Metric

finally a real reason to hate OSA

Load Metric

finally a real reason to hate OSA
    THAT’S what it took?

Comments

WillieMcFML: lul

OSA: Meanie
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    A loud siren horn played next to phone receiver stops most from calling back.

No it doesnt.

Comments

PLOL: Lol this. It’s a robot.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Yeah, most robocalls want you to press or say something to be connected to the fucks on the other end. It's all computer until then.

Comments

tgull: NO SHIT? I NEVER KNEW THAT! A FUCKING OIL CHANGE SALESMAN JUST TAUGHT ME SOMETHING. I HAD NOT IDEA THESE ROBO CALLS WERE A COMPUTERIZED BASED SYSTEM. THANKS WRENCH, YOU SURE ARE SMART!!!!!

Hockey Guy: offset

Muck Ficon: Bottomset is the worst
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun

Load Metric
    the call centers get a list of numbers. there are hundreds of people in the call center. it absolutely does not matter what you say or do to them, 2-4 days later your number pops up on someone elses computer screen and now youre talking to Padma who desperately wants you to know the IRS is about to press charges if you dont resolve this urgent matter.

the one thing i did that helped slightly was setting my voicemail message as a 'doot deet doot this number is no longer in service' recording. apparently some of them will remove numbers that are out of service.

but the same master list gets sold to a new call center in a month and its back to square one.

Thread Information