Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has there ever been an over-40 professional athlete better than Tom Brady?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Has there ever been an over-40 professional athlete better than Tom Brady?

I am amazed at Brady's performance this year.

How is it possible for Brady to be so good?

Aside from some obviously-roided baseball players in the 2000s, I've never seen any over-40 player this dominant.

Brady is almost 40 1/2 years old.

Is it possible he is on the roids or some other PED?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Julio Franco

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I would imagine there are several black guys.

Banned
    Load Metric

Comments

hongkonger: This

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I am amazed at Brady's performance this year.

How is it possible for Brady to be so good?

Aside from some obviously-roided baseball players in the 2000s, I've never seen any over-40 player this dominant.

Brady is almost 40 1/2 years old.

Is it possible he is on the roids or some other PED?

He’s the product of amazing coaching... Matt Cassell also looked like god when he was qb under Bill. I think you can take about half the QB’s in the league, put them into that system, and they would also be great. I’m not saying Brady isn’t one of the best ever, but much like Montana, he’s a product of the system
    We pray for understanding as we all occasionally request back door action by accident, when we tried to call an electrician. It happens, it simply happens.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm not asking for a list of players older than Brady.

I'm asking if there's ever been an over-40 player who was better past age 40 than Brady has been.

I don't believe there has been, especially if you throw out the steroid baseball ones.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Any golfers? Seems like that would be the sport that has the highest likelihood of an athlete being dominant past age 40.

Load Metric

I'm asking if there's ever been an over-40 player who was better past age 40 than Brady has been.

I don't believe there has been, especially if you throw out the steroid baseball ones.

Probably at least a boxer or two and a handfull of old school baseball pitchers would be in the discussion. I can't think of anyone specifically without researching. I don't know if JMM reads non boxing threads.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I am a pretty big boxing fan (not as knowledgable as JMM obv) and Foreman is the only one I can think of that was very good in their 40s, and he took all his 30s off basically so not sure that counts, cause he had so much less wear and tear because of that.

Also, he lost to the only elite fighter he fought in his 40s (Holyfield) so not sure that is even comparable to Brady winning SBs and MVPs.

Load Metric
    Nolan Ryan was the major league strikeout leader from 1987-1990 when he was 40-43 years old. Probably not on Brady's level, but dominant in a sort of way on the mound.

Name:  nolan-ryan-3.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  118.1 KB

Load Metric
    I was always told by the olds in my family that Satchel Paige was dominate until he was like 50 or something. That might have been because they played baseball with him though so there is bias. Plus that was a long ass time ago.

Edit:

He was an MLB rookie when he was 42 and was an all star twice.

Quite the amazing bio here. There needs to be a new movie made about this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchel_Paige

Comments

hongkonger: This

Jayjami: Yep
    Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 01-14-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Load Metric
    Maybe not, but I would put Raymond Bourque up there, so is Gordie Howe but he's from a previous generation. Jagr was also still dominate at 40. Hockey is way more demanding physically than QB in football. The more physical the sport the less likely an older athlete can compete. A hockey player needs amazing skill to be able to still have enough left at 40 to make a team. There is no hiding on ice, you are taking hits and have to keep the speed up to compete.

A QB can compensate with all the mental skill involved in that position. He obviously isn't rushing the ball any more. Throwing an accurate pass really isn't a physical challenge as much as it is a skill like golf. Golfers are still good well after 40. A QB's biggest challenge is not getting hurt, so they need a good offensive line. Brady has benefited big from being in such a great organisation. Much more the surroundings, the position, and luck then him being a stud.

I think a 40 year old hockey, soccer, basketball, or baseball player is a much harder accomplishment. If you can point out a 40 year old non QB, non kicker football player they would win.

So put griffey jr on the list of consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric

Brady is considered the best ever, and he seems to be playing as well as he did in his prime being that hes going to be the MVP this year. So the answer has to be no.

Comments

peter mcneil:

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Phil Hellmuth Jr.

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: lol

lvpkr1009: Legit login just to rep this post

tigerpiper: Bush league

Load Metric
    As remarkable as Brady is, Roger Federer is even more remarkable since its an individual sport. In 3 years he will be 40, and he very well could still win a major or two.

Kareem was pretty great in his 40s. In his very late 30s he was still the dominant big man in the league and I doubt the Lakers would have won anything without him.

Comments

peter mcneil:

Muck Ficon: So Federer isn't 40....yet you are guessing what he will do in 3 years?

Load Metric
    No, not in football. Favre would be closest.

You could say Randy Johnson in baseball, he was dominant when he was 40.

Jack Nicklaus was dominant and won 3 majors after 40.

I was just reading about this recently... Roger Federer. He's only 37, but tennis years are like dog years. What he's doing is remarkable. Edit: what Tgull said

Load Metric
    Wayne Gretzski...
    Most NHL and WHA regular season points: 2,967 – Gretzky broke the record held by Gordie Howe on March 9, 1992, with an assist on a first period goal by Tony Granato to make the game score Los Angeles 2, Toronto 0 (final was 4-1). It was his 2359th career point on 1567 assists and 792 goals.

retired at 40

he had 40 regular season records 15 playoff records

Jaromír Jágr

Czech player currently still playing at 45 at one point he said he would play till 60
    he won 2 stanly cups when he played for pittsburg penguins

Comments

Deal: 99 had a terrible last season, (just under 1 pt per game) limited ice time,coach cucked him to release the salary
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 01-14-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Brady is definitely one of, if not the best over 40 in the major sports

We all know the best athlete over 40 ever was Ric Flair obv.

Comments

Tellafriend: obv

Load Metric
    None that I recall playing at MVP-level in the Big 3 American sports. Don’t follow hockey close enough to have an educated opinion. I also think he’s to a degree a product of their system, while still being possibly the greatest QB of all time. He lost some arm strength maybe 5 years ago, but in many ways, he’s still basically the same player. Every other post-40 player I can recall was a shadow of their youthful selves. He’s at like 90% of his prime.

What’s even more amazing is the Pats have went all in by trading Garropolo that he’s going to stay there for another 3 or 4 seasons. Seems incredibly optimistic.

Load Metric
    Glenn Howard, won both the brier (canadian championship) and world championship twice since turning 40. Competed in the Brier 10 times since turning 40. That takes an amazing level of skill and dedication.

Check out this shot, he's down by two and this is his last throw. Curlings most famous hail mary.

Last edited by Deal; 01-14-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Thread Information