Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a stock to park $25,000 in and forget about it

Load Metric

Looking for a stock to park $25,000 in and forget about it

I am NOT looking to cash out in say 2020. This is a buy and HOLD for 20 years. Just buy and forget and looking for splits over the years. Basically I am looking for the next Starbucks or Chipolte. I am looking for anything other than energy stocks or some bitcoin shit. I am looking for Apple in 1999 or even a distressed stock like McDonalds in 2000. Under $25 a share, but not a penny stock either.

TIA.

Comments

Tellafriend: liquid as fuck

JACKDANIELS: KIDS SO LIQUID

Walter Sobchak: Hope you lost it all

splitthis:

Load Metric
    Buy pot coin, thank me later.
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Diamond
    Load Metric
    MJX.

Banned
    Load Metric
    PERTH

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    PERTH
    Worst troll comes back. Just awful, go fall off another roof drunk. If you do own all this land in Wyoming, just go there and shut off your internet and carve up a cow or whatever you survivalists do.

Comments

Tellafriend: LOL he's a land baron

splitthis:

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    UA UnderArmor, down heavy for 2017 but stablized at the bottom. Big shoe release coming down the pipe. Lot of upside and little further downside risk, IMO.

Comments

OSA: jock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    Ethos you cocksucker it's $10

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    UA UnderArmor, down heavy for 2017 but stablized at the bottom. Big shoe release coming down the pipe. Lot of upside and little further downside risk, IMO.
    That actually is not bad. Investigating.

Comments

splitthis:

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    No such stock I don't think. I'd just hide it somewhere.

Name:  hopefully t gull is the jake plummer dude.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  41.4 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Haven't looked at the dividends lately but buy tobacco if the dividends are still good...nobody gives a shit about smoking anymore...all the morons have moved on to chasing down big soda...

Load Metric
    Short MJX. Thank me later.

Comments

OSA: Troll much, sweetheart?
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    O or MO

O has one of the highest paying dividends. Paid monthly
    MO has great dividends also

Set up drip

Forget about it

Diamond
    Load Metric
    NGE

Load Metric
    I'm not going to joke about you having this money or not, being a plumber, etc because this is an important topic that fucks a lot of people and I'd like to see people come out ahead even if I find them annoying. So this is honest advice, backed up by years of studies by economists and mathematics.

The truth is you are very unlikely to find a single stock that is going to multiply your $25K into millions even over 20 years, as it would have if you got in early on Microsoft, Apple, etc. It's extremely, overwhelmingly unlikely. Hoping a single stock hits the jackpot for you is a recipe for fucking up your portfolio badly and missing out on the returns of the broader market.

Find yourself an ETF, or possibly a low-cost mutual fund (expense ratio no more than 0.5%) that tracks a broad market index like the S&P500 or Russell 2000. Index funds are your best bet long term. Do NOT try to predict the market or predict how a particular stock will do. Do NOT be seduced by claims that actively managed mutual funds will outperform due to the guys running them--they will not outperform and the managers are getting rich at the expense of your returns.

f you like dividends you can get a broad based fund that holds mostly dividend paying stocks. They tend to be less volatile meaning you lose less during downturns but you also miss out on some gains during bull markets, but this is not necessarily bad as dividends account for 40% of the historical return of the S&P500. If you want something a little edgier go for a NASDAQ trucking fund.

If the account that holds this money is taxable (not a retirement account), you could also consider buying tax-free individual bonds (not bond funds) and then buying more as the interest accrues.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Jesus Christ

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Jesus Christ

I didn't know Jesus Christ was publicly listed.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by incognito81 View Post
    O or MO

O has one of the highest paying dividends. Paid monthly
    MO has great dividends also

Set up drip

Forget about it
    Portfolio of dividend paying stocks isn't a bad idea but you need a diverse selection of them. MO is a great stock.
    HILLARY WON

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    Bankrupt or buyout for peanuts for them.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    I'm not going to joke about you having this money or not, being a plumber, etc because this is an important topic that fucks a lot of people and I'd like to see people come out ahead even if I find them annoying. So this is honest advice, backed up by years of studies by economists and mathematics.

The truth is you are very unlikely to find a single stock that is going to multiply your $25K into millions even over 20 years, as it would have if you got in early on Microsoft, Apple, etc. It's extremely, overwhelmingly unlikely. Hoping a single stock hits the jackpot for you is a recipe for fucking up your portfolio badly and missing out on the returns of the broader market.

Find yourself an ETF, or possibly a low-cost mutual fund (expense ratio no more than 0.5%) that tracks a broad market index like the S&P500 or Russell 2000. Index funds are your best bet long term. Do NOT try to predict the market or predict how a particular stock will do. Do NOT be seduced by claims that actively managed mutual funds will outperform due to the guys running them--they will not outperform and the managers are getting rich at the expense of your returns.

f you like dividends you can get a broad based fund that holds mostly dividend paying stocks. They tend to be less volatile meaning you lose less during downturns but you also miss out on some gains during bull markets, but this is not necessarily bad as dividends account for 40% of the historical return of the S&P500. If you want something a little edgier go for a NASDAQ trucking fund.

If the account that holds this money is taxable (not a retirement account), you could also consider buying tax-free individual bonds (not bond funds) and then buying more as the interest accrues.
    No wonder you voted for Hillary. You invest like a pussy. Let me guess, you made 0 dollars with crypto currency because it is a scam, right?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

No wonder you voted for Hillary. You invest like a pussy. Let me guess, you made 0 dollars with crypto currency because it is a scam, right?
    Long-term mathematical studies don't lie. The guys who think they can beat the market are the same as the guys who think they can beat poker. 99.9999% chance they can't. The tech boom, the deregulation of the financial industry and the media worship of the occasional success story have made a bunch of testosterone-fuelled keyboard cowboys think they can pick stocks. They can't, and you can't either. Wall Street thanks you for being gullible.

If his investible assets were $2.5 million then sure, toss 1% of it on a big growth gamble. Bottomset's investible assets are nowhere near $2.5 million and anyone who advises him to put $25K into a single stock hoping it blows up huge is doing him a great disservice.

Comments

OSA: coge
    Last edited by hongkonger; 01-08-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    HILLARY WON

Thread Information