Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vanessa Selbst quitting as Pokerstars pro, retiring from poker

Load Metric
    Not sure why I never mentioned this before.

We need a new GRUDGE MATCH

Dan Druff vs Vanessa Selbst

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Wellllllll..... that was quick.

https://www.pokertube.com/article/va...er-angers-some

Vanessa's "retirement" was effectively ended when she played a tournament recently.

She described herself as a "rec" (recreational player) before starting it, which irritated Dan Shak:

I don't blame Dan. He felt duped by her supposed exit from poker, only to see that the whole thing was seemingly an exercise in attention whoring.

I think the "retirement" was a backdoor way of explaining why Pokerstars wasn't renewing her. Rather than admitting she got fired/non-renewed, she peddled a "retirement, moving on to better things" story, only to immediately return to poker. The fact that she had already moved on from poker as a full time job (probably because she couldn't beat it anymore) made the whole retirement claim much easier.

I think it's silly to announce "retirement" from poker, unless you're really quitting. If she was simply reducing her schedule due to moving on to other things, there was no reason for such a dramatic announcement.

I really believe the entire retirement was pretty much her answer-in-advance to, "Hey Vanessa, why aren't you a Pokerstars pro anymore?"

Lame.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Was she not just trolling Fedor or making light of herself being dropped by Pokerstars? I'm not getting this one.

Load Metric
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...e-poker-player

"To wit, Bloomberg reports that the $160 billion hedge fund (Bridgewater Associates) has hired Vanessa Selbst, the world’s most successful female tournament poker player. Selbst, a Brooklyn native, is reportedly focusing on “trade research and strategy.” Among both buy and sell-side firms, strategy and research are often euphemisms for marketing. And at a shop like Bridgewater - where the machines do most of the investing - most of the firm’s 1,500 employees are essentially window-dressing"

So, what, like she's hired cuz she has a bunch of rich poker friends? Bridgewater thinks she can bring more $$$ in for more fees? Sales? That's what I think the article is alluding to...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...e-poker-player

"To wit, Bloomberg reports that the $160 billion hedge fund (Bridgewater Associates) has hired Vanessa Selbst, the world’s most successful female tournament poker player. Selbst, a Brooklyn native, is reportedly focusing on “trade research and strategy.” Among both buy and sell-side firms, strategy and research are often euphemisms for marketing. And at a shop like Bridgewater - where the machines do most of the investing - most of the firm’s 1,500 employees are essentially window-dressing"

So, what, like she's hired cuz she has a bunch of rich poker friends? Bridgewater thinks she can bring more $$$ in for more fees? Sales? That's what I think the article is alluding to...
    Good catch. I think you might be right.

I always wondered why a lawyer with very little work experience would be of use to a hedge fund.

Vanessa is well known in poker but not at all known outside of poker, so it's not like she would be a household name worth hiring simply for that reason.

You might be correct that her rich poker friends are the main asset she brings to the table there.

Load Metric
    It's obviously Vanessa's fault the market dropped this week.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

According to a person on Twitter who listen to PFA Radio ("marrybacon"), Vanessa got herself into hot water already at work:

This is all that remains of her tweets, most of which was deleted regarding the subject:

Just in case she deletes that too, here it is for posterity:

I think it's fine because it ended up in an incredibly positive resolution where both parties were completely reasonable, HR did a great job, and it was entirely positive. I didnt' name names and it's an exemplary thing. And since it's closed matter I think it's fine/+EV to share

I believe it was an oversight that she left up this tweet, as the rest was deleted.

If I had to guess, the incident probably had to do with SJW stuff, where she got in some political/social argument while drunk, and got abusive with that person.

Recall that Vanessa got herself into another mess recently while drinking, when she made a 3-bracelet-bet against Jason Mercier (basically that he wouldn't win 3 bracelets that year) for $2,000,000 against his $10,000, and then got scared when he got off to a hot start, and tried to back out, claiming she was "drunk" and he took advantage of her.

Load Metric
    Pretty sure the Mercier bet was for "her" $2M against "his" $10K.

Comments

Dan Druff: fixed
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

She is doing coaching for "LearnWPT" now.

Not sure if she still has the job at Bridgewater, or if perhaps there's been COVID-19-related layoffs?

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2020/...-wpt-37154.htm

Thread Information