Thread: 'Cat ladies' more likely to commit suicide, scientists claim

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

'Cat ladies' more likely to commit suicide, scientists claim

This is horrible if true

Women who own cats are more likely to have mental health problems and commit suicide because they can be infected by a common parasite that can be caught from cat litter, a study has found.

Name:  cat-odd-eyed_1208817b.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  32.1 KB

Researchers found women infected with the Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii) parasite, which is spread through contact with cat faeces or eating undercooked meat or unwashed vegetables, are at increased risk of attempting suicide.

The study involved more than 45,000 women in Denmark. About a third of the world’s population is infected with the parasite, which hides in cells in the brain and muscles, often without producing symptoms.

The infection, which is called toxoplasmosis, has been linked to mental illness, such as schizophrenia, and changes in behaviour.

The study’s senior author Doctor Teodor Postolache, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in the United States, said: “We can’t say with certainty that T. gondii caused the women to try to kill themselves, but we did find a predictive association between the infection and suicide attempts later in life that warrants additional studies.

“We plan to continue our research into this possible connection.”

Doctor Albert Reece, vice president of medical affairs at the University of Maryland, said: “T. gondii infection is a major public health problem around the world, and many people don’t realize they’re infected.

“Dr Postolache is a leading expert on suicide neuroimmunology. Suicide is a critically important mental health issue. About one million people commit suicide and another 10 million attempt suicide worldwide each year. We hope that this type of research will one day help us find ways to save many lives that now end prematurely in suicide.”

The study is the largest ever of T. gondii and attempted suicide and the first prospective study to document suicide attempts that occurred after the infection was discovered.

Dr. Postolache’s research team at the University of Maryland was the first to report a connection between T. gondii and suicidal behaviour in 2009. He is collaborating with researchers in Denmark, Germany and Sweden to confirm and investigate the mechanism leading to this association.

The T. gondii parasite thrives in the intestines of cats, and it is spread through oocysts passed in their faeces. All warm-blooded animals can become infected through ingestion of these oocysts. The organism spreads to their brain and muscles, hiding from the immune system within “cysts” inside cells.

Humans can become infected by changing their infected cats’ litter boxes, eating unwashed vegetables, drinking water from a contaminated source, or more commonly, by eating undercooked or raw meat that is infested with cysts.

Not washing kitchen knives after preparing raw meat before handling another food item also can lead to infection. Pregnant women can pass the parasite directly to their unborn babies and are advised not to change cat litter boxes to avoid possible infection.

Babies don’t produce antibodies to T. gondii for three months after they are born, so the antibodies present in their blood represented infection in the mothers. The scientists scoured Danish health registries to determine if any of these women later attempted suicide, including cases of violent suicide attempts which may have involved guns, sharp instruments and jumping from high places.

The study found that women infected with T. gondii were one and a half times more likely to attempt suicide compared to those who were not infected, and the risk seemed to rise with increasing levels of the T. gondii antibodies.

Dr Postolache noted limitations to the study, such as the inability to determine the cause of the suicidal behaviour.

He added: “T. gondii infection is likely not a random event and it is conceivable that the results could be alternatively explained by people with psychiatric disturbances having a higher risk of becoming T. gondii infected prior to contact with the health system.”

The findings were published online in the Archives of General Psychiatry.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    100% true.

i went out with a few cat girls, and they were more batshit then the preps or the granola types

wtf is up w/ the letter Gg on this site. lower case types in like a Qq half of the time

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Vwls can we get a cat count? Joe Rogan has been talking about Taxoplamosis or whatever it's called for quite a while.
    My experience with cat ladies=confirmed crazy.

Load Metric
    Bat shit crazy women like cats, or more like anything that will put up with them. Cats don't make them bat shit crazy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    This is horrible if true

Women who own cats are more likely to have mental health problems and commit suicide because they can be infected by a common parasite that can be caught from cat litter, a study has found.

Name:  cat-odd-eyed_1208817b.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  32.1 KB

Researchers found women infected with the Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii) parasite, which is spread through contact with cat faeces or eating undercooked meat or unwashed vegetables, are at increased risk of attempting suicide.

The study involved more than 45,000 women in Denmark. About a third of the world’s population is infected with the parasite, which hides in cells in the brain and muscles, often without producing symptoms.

The infection, which is called toxoplasmosis, has been linked to mental illness, such as schizophrenia, and changes in behaviour.

The study’s senior author Doctor Teodor Postolache, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in the United States, said: “We can’t say with certainty that T. gondii caused the women to try to kill themselves, but we did find a predictive association between the infection and suicide attempts later in life that warrants additional studies.

“We plan to continue our research into this possible connection.”

Doctor Albert Reece, vice president of medical affairs at the University of Maryland, said: “T. gondii infection is a major public health problem around the world, and many people don’t realize they’re infected.

“Dr Postolache is a leading expert on suicide neuroimmunology. Suicide is a critically important mental health issue. About one million people commit suicide and another 10 million attempt suicide worldwide each year. We hope that this type of research will one day help us find ways to save many lives that now end prematurely in suicide.”

The study is the largest ever of T. gondii and attempted suicide and the first prospective study to document suicide attempts that occurred after the infection was discovered.

Dr. Postolache’s research team at the University of Maryland was the first to report a connection between T. gondii and suicidal behaviour in 2009. He is collaborating with researchers in Denmark, Germany and Sweden to confirm and investigate the mechanism leading to this association.

The T. gondii parasite thrives in the intestines of cats, and it is spread through oocysts passed in their faeces. All warm-blooded animals can become infected through ingestion of these oocysts. The organism spreads to their brain and muscles, hiding from the immune system within “cysts” inside cells.

Humans can become infected by changing their infected cats’ litter boxes, eating unwashed vegetables, drinking water from a contaminated source, or more commonly, by eating undercooked or raw meat that is infested with cysts.

Not washing kitchen knives after preparing raw meat before handling another food item also can lead to infection. Pregnant women can pass the parasite directly to their unborn babies and are advised not to change cat litter boxes to avoid possible infection.

Babies don’t produce antibodies to T. gondii for three months after they are born, so the antibodies present in their blood represented infection in the mothers. The scientists scoured Danish health registries to determine if any of these women later attempted suicide, including cases of violent suicide attempts which may have involved guns, sharp instruments and jumping from high places.

The study found that women infected with T. gondii were one and a half times more likely to attempt suicide compared to those who were not infected, and the risk seemed to rise with increasing levels of the T. gondii antibodies.

Dr Postolache noted limitations to the study, such as the inability to determine the cause of the suicidal behaviour.

He added: “T. gondii infection is likely not a random event and it is conceivable that the results could be alternatively explained by people with psychiatric disturbances having a higher risk of becoming T. gondii infected prior to contact with the health system.”

The findings were published online in the Archives of General Psychiatry.
    Does this apply to men as well as women? Very serious question as I think I have a friend affected and his doctors have no clue what's wrong. Same symptoms, he's delusional, has cysts on his arms and is pretty much suicidal right now.

Banned
    Load Metric
    This is nothing new. Toxoplasmosis has been observed for ages, and it's commonly known to be spread by cats. In fact, it's estimated that a huge percentage of humans already carry it. Possibly as much as half the population.

EDIT: The crazy cat lady on the Simpsons is a popular reference to this.

Load Metric
    Confirmed. Cat ladies are cat-shit crazy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post

I'm uncomfortable accepting as a reference anecdotal evidence cited from cartoon observation.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post

I'm uncomfortable accepting as a reference anecdotal evidence cited from cartoon observation.
    I'm really not sure what you mean. It's not supposed to be evidence that Toxoplasmosis exists. There's plenty of scientific data for that. It's just an example of cultural awareness.

Load Metric
    holy shit...
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I posted this study on donkdown about a year ago I think. I didnt get as much of a discussion? Maybe I did. I dont remember but this site challenges even pre split DD to some degree.

And yes=cats are bad
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    My mom has a few special requests actually, Vwls do you do any freelance work? For fun or at least pretty cheap? Mostly cutesy stuff with her horses and baby foal who is still a baby but a freaking huge one let me tell you.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GAMBLE-BOT View Post
    I posted this study on donkdown about a year ago I think. I didnt get as much of a discussion? Maybe I did. I dont remember but this site challenges even pre split DD to some degree.

And yes=cats are bad
    you got alot of responses/discussion

Banned
    Load Metric
    I think the more pressing question here is: how many cats does limitless own?

Load Metric
    This is nothing new. Toxoplasmosis has been observed for ages, and it's commonly known to be spread by cats. In fact, it's estimated that a huge percentage of humans already carry it. Possibly as much as half the population.

Just got off the phone with my buddy Larry, the former physician, he said "holy shit" and said tomorrow he's going to speak with my friends pcp and see if they've tested for this infection, T. Gondii, the symptoms he was hospitalized for match up perfectly- I ran across this thread totally by chance too, so who fucking knows, but I seriously hope this info helps my friend get better.
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    not sure, but at last count my buddy has over 30...aaaand a new 2 week old kitten magically appeared yesterday so I am told (yes while dude is in the hospital) so now 31...

Load Metric

Just got off the phone with my buddy Larry, the former physician, he said "holy shit" and said tomorrow he's going to speak with my friends pcp and see if they've tested for this infection, T. Gondii, the symptoms he was hospitalized for match up perfectly- I ran across this thread totally by chance too, so who fucking knows, but I seriously hope this info helps my friend get better.
    What a surprise lol. You have a story about "friend" for every thread topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

What a surprise lol. You have a story about "friend" for every thread topic.
    No clue what this means, but if you doubt these people are real, you have some serious issues. I do not "make up people" or whatever the fuck, the hell is wrong with you?

Load Metric

In all fairness, he is the biggest pussy of them all.

Thread Information