Thread: Coke and Pepsi alter recipe to avoid cancer warning

Load Metric

Exclamation Coke and Pepsi alter recipe to avoid cancer warning

Coca-Cola and Pepsi are changing the recipes for their drinks to avoid being legally obliged to put a cancer warning label on the bottle.

The new recipe for caramel colouring in the drinks has less 4-methylimidazole (4-MEI) - a chemical which California has added to its list of carcinogens.

The change to the recipe has already been introduced in California but will be rolled out across the US.

Coca-Cola says there is no health risk to justify the change.
    'No risk'

Spokeswoman Diana Garza-Ciarlante told the Associated Press news agency they wanted to ensure their products "would not be subject to the requirement of a scientifically unfounded warning".
    Continue reading the main story
    4-methylimidazole (4-MEI)
    4-Methylimidazole (Melanie Bottrill)

Formed naturally in the heating and browning process
    Occurs in caramel colouring as well as some roasted and cooked foods
    Can be in some cleaning, photographic and agricultural chemicals, dyes and pharmaceuticals
    Exposure can be through consumption or during manufacturing process

Source: California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment

The chemical has been linked to cancer in mice and rats, according to one study, but there is no evidence that it poses a health risk to humans, said the American Beverage Association, which represents the wider industry.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) claims a person would need to drink more than 1,000 cans of Coke or Pepsi a day to take in the same dose of the chemical that was given to the animals in the lab test.

Coca-Cola and PepsiCo account for nearly 90% of the US fizzy drink market, according to one industry tracker, Beverage Digest.

The companies say changing their recipes across the whole of the US, not just in California, makes the drinks more efficient to manufacture.

In a statement Coca-Cola added that the manufacturing process across Europe would not change.

It said that apart from California "not one single regulatory agency around the world considers the exposure of the public to 4-MEI as present in caramels as an issue".

source - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17308181

Load Metric
    Yes there is "no risk" to a product containing, among other things, phosphoric acid.

Soda be it diet or regular is HORRIBLE for your health. Not all health risks are as in your face as say drinking large amounts of hard alcohol day in and day out, or 2pack a day smoking. Some health risks are silently eroding your body from the inside out.

By the by, does anyone know why phosphoric acid is actually added to regular Coca Cola? It's to buffer your GAG REFLEX from ingesting such a concentrated dose of sugar. Take a can of coke, you are looking at around 45g of pure table sugar. That's roughly 9-10 teaspoons worth. Go ahead and take 10 teaspoons of table sugar and throw it in a similar volume of water and try to drink it. Not really all that easy, some can do it. Now, take that sugar and DOUBLE it, to make things even with the high fructose corn syrup that is used today, and see what happens. The stuff is disgusting and is a massive health risk.

Load Metric
    Leave it to California to threaten companies with a cancer label after the FDA says that the soft drinks do not contain enough of the carcinogen to matter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...roup-says.html

A person would have to drink more than a thousand cans of soda in a day to match the doses administered in studies that showed links to cancer in rodents, Douglas Karas, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration spokesman, said in a statement.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I drink like 5-8 cans of coke a day lol , I know its a bad habit but meh. I also smoke cigs and pot so I have worse ones as well. Definately need to start curving my habits off tho or I will be dead when im 40 lol . Life is good tho as I pop open another can of good ole coca cola !

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sah_24 View Post
    I drink like 5-8 cans of coke a day lol , I know its a bad habit but meh. I also smoke cigs and pot so I have worse ones as well. Definately need to start curving my habits off tho or I will be dead when im 40 lol . Life is good tho as I pop open another can of good ole coca cola !
    There is certainly something to be said about a product that brings you a bit of joy every day. From my experience stress is the single greatest threat humans face today. Shitty genes #2, Lack of exercise #3 and Shitty Diet #4. As long as you mitigate the rest of the risk factors drinking coke won't kill you per se. However most americans fall victim to all 4 at the same time...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sah_24 View Post
    There is certainly something to be said about a product that brings you a bit of joy every day. From my experience stress is the single greatest threat humans face today. Shitty genes #2, Lack of exercise #3 and Shitty Diet #4. As long as you mitigate the rest of the risk factors drinking coke won't kill you per se. However most americans fall victim to all 4 at the same time...
    Ya i try and excercise am def not overweight , my diet is shit tho . I have less stress than most poeple even tho poker is my sole income because I go to work everyday loving what I do and no one tells me what to do . The worst habit by far imo is the cigarettes they def need to go and that is the habit I hate by far the most . Have went a couple months quitting couple times but always pussed out and went back .

You can definately feel the difference in your life with better health tho , even small improvements show a major diff . I really need to stop being lazy and get back on the healthy kick !

Thread Information