Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple admits it is slowing down older iPhones with iOS updates

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Apple admits it is slowing down older iPhones with iOS updates

The story: http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/tech...nes/index.html

The lawsuit: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/21...iphone-models/

Basically, Apple claims that older phones with degraded batteries will automatically shut down when too many commands are executed at once, so they've written a "feature" into newer iOS versions to where older phones are just slowed down to where that can't happen anymore.

Apple also claims it will continue doing this, and people can fuck off if they don't like it.

There's no option to turn off this feature, which you think would be the real solution here.

I have long been critical of Apple releasing new iOS versions which, at the very least, aren't compatible with older phones. Instead of allowing users of those older phones to at least upgrade to the last stable iOS version for that device, all iPhone users are FORCED to upgrade to the latest iOS, if they want to upgrade at all.

There are some backdoor ways to go to an iOS a few versions earlier, but Apple stops "signing" those versions very quickly, making installation of such a version impossible.

For example, I have iOS 10 on the phone I bought recently from jsearles. It is now IMPOSSIBLE to install iOS 10 on any iPhone, unless it's already there, as they have stopped signing them all.

So if you've upgraded to an iOS past the one which works correctly with your phone, and you want to go back to what you had before, you basically can't after a very short period of time.

That's complete bullshit, but it's the way Apple has always done things.

But now they're inserting new "features" to intentionally slow down phones, on top of their already cavalier attitude regarding whether or not new iOS versions work with older phones in the first place?

GTFO

This shouldn't even be legal, as they are breaking devices people paid for, and are not providing a reasonable way to fix them.

Oh, and I love this part:

Apple may also need to relax its policies on when customers can pay for a battery replacement, as currently, a battery can't be replaced unless in-store equipment registers it as near failing.

An iPhone's battery is designed to retain 80 percent of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. A defective battery that does not meet those parameters can be replaced for free for customers who have AppleCare+ or who have devices still under warranty.

For out of warranty customers, Apple offers a battery replacement service, which costs $79 plus $6.95 for shipping.
    Can you believe this shit?

Apparently Apple won't let you decide when to replace your phone's battery if it's still in warranty, even if you're willing to pay to do so.

What a miserable, controlling fucking company.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The story: http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/tech...nes/index.html

The lawsuit: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/21...iphone-models/

Basically, Apple claims that older phones with degraded batteries will automatically shut down when too many commands are executed at once, so they've written a "feature" into newer iOS versions to where older phones are just slowed down to where that can't happen anymore.

Apple also claims it will continue doing this, and people can fuck off if they don't like it.

There's no option to turn off this feature, which you think would be the real solution here.

I have long been critical of Apple releasing new iOS versions which, at the very least, aren't compatible with older phones. Instead of allowing users of those older phones to at least upgrade to the last stable iOS version for that device, all iPhone users are FORCED to upgrade to the latest iOS, if they want to upgrade at all.

There are some backdoor ways to go to an iOS a few versions earlier, but Apple stops "signing" those versions very quickly, making installation of such a version impossible.

For example, I have iOS 10 on the phone I bought recently from jsearles. It is now IMPOSSIBLE to install iOS 10 on any iPhone, unless it's already there, as they have stopped signing them all.

So if you've upgraded to an iOS past the one which works correctly with your phone, and you want to go back to what you had before, you basically can't after a very short period of time.

That's complete bullshit, but it's the way Apple has always done things.

But now they're inserting new "features" to intentionally slow down phones, on top of their already cavalier attitude regarding whether or not new iOS versions work with older phones in the first place?

GTFO

This shouldn't even be legal, as they are breaking devices people paid for, and are not providing a reasonable way to fix them.

Oh, and I love this part:

Apple may also need to relax its policies on when customers can pay for a battery replacement, as currently, a battery can't be replaced unless in-store equipment registers it as near failing.

An iPhone's battery is designed to retain 80 percent of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. A defective battery that does not meet those parameters can be replaced for free for customers who have AppleCare+ or who have devices still under warranty.

For out of warranty customers, Apple offers a battery replacement service, which costs $79 plus $6.95 for shipping.
    Can you believe this shit?

Apparently Apple won't let you decide when to replace your phone's battery if it's still in warranty, even if you're willing to pay to do so.

What a miserable, controlling fucking company.
    So, boycott them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    You do know that there are other phone manufacturers out there right Todd

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sadly iPhone is still the standard in the US, so that's what I have to go with for the moment.

I also like the interface, and with my jailbreak I can make the phone do what I want.

But I detest Apple as a company. Super arrogant and customer-unfriendly.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    You do know that there are other phone manufacturers out there right Todd
    It is called bending over and taking it. It is part of one's role being an Apple fanboy.

Load Metric
    didnt think the todge would be such a massive fanboy lol

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I have an older phone and I can tell it doesn't work as smoothly as it once did, in addition to the battery issues. I would have already upgraded, but I don't want to deal with not having a headphone jack. I have $300 wireless Dre headphones, but I never use them and opt for the $15 normal headphones from CVS. I just prefer having normal cheap headphones, where I don't have to worry about charging them and breaking/ruining them, cause they are so cheap.

I would definitely switch to another phone, but all my other shit is Apple too, and everything is synched, so it would just be too big a hassle. So I am unfortunately stuck bending over and taking it one way or another.

Load Metric
    Sadly iPhone is still the standard in the US, so that's what I have to go with for the moment.

I also like the interface, and with my jailbreak I can make the phone do what I want.

Consistent with the statement bolded above, Apple has what is called a "competitive monopoly" on high-end smart phones. They achieved this by developing and marketing a collection of highly related products that individually and together are substantially better than their competitors'.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m...sticmarket.asp

Cable broadband companies in the US, however, have either monopoly or duopoly power in the markets they serve because of weak regulation by state and local governments. And that power will be increased by the ending of net neutrality. Where is your outrage against those arrogant and customer-unfriendly companies given that they achieved that market power essentially by bribing our politicians?
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 12-22-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Todd, be honest at least. You don't HAVE to. You WANT to. Nobody is forcing you to use Apple products. You just don't want the hassle of making changes and adjustments to incorporate a different system to your needs.

I highly doubt there's any aspect of Apple other than interoperability with other Apple products that Android doesn't have covered with equal capabilities.

If more people like you actually stood up for yourselves and quit rolling over for Apple to scratch your paunchy bellies, then maybe something would change but nah, fan boys 4 life and ride or die and all that shit.

We see you.
    Last edited by wrenchjockey; 12-22-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    In before FPS links this to some grander Jewish conspiracy world controlling program etc etc

Comments

KidPresentable: lulz

JACKDANIELS: FPS Russia knows his shit

Load Metric

Go with a Samsung, they're great. Can't speak for their customer service though.

Speaks to the power of Apple that they're able to retain an (ahem) particular consumer such as yourself.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: lol
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Sadly iPhone is still the standard in the US, so that's what I have to go with for the moment
    You think the OS with 34% market share is the standard, not the OS with 65% market share?

Comments

gimmick:

JACKDANIELS: GOT HIM

ToasterOven: lol

Muck Ficon: :this

Load Metric
    I've had a mild conspiracy theorist suspicion that this was the case as I like to hold on to my phone for as long as possible so I see them perform worse and worse over time. But, I also thought it might just be the effects of use and abuse as I'm one of those damned millennials that's always on their phone.

I'm due for a new phone within the next year probably. I currently have a 6s, but have been considering the Samsung devices instead of auto-upgrading to the 8/8+ or X.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Go with a Samsung, they're great. Can't speak for their customer service though.

Speaks to the power of Apple that they're able to retain an (ahem) particular consumer such as yourself.
    I've owned a bunch of Samsung phones and TVs and have always been happy with them. They're not as fancy or as pretty as others, but they're very well designed and reliable.

Comments

LarryLaffer: i have a samsung smart tv and its kinda shitty. but its got a good picture

Load Metric
    Druff I find it lol that you choose to have an older phone/OS so you can jail break it to "do what you want".

I mean on one hand I respect the cheap jew aspect of buying 1 year old phones for 1/4 the cost, but on the other hand switch to Android and never look back.

Load Metric
    Todger getting his shit packed in this thread almost as hard as he gets it packed in by apple for being a massive fanboy

Gold
    Load Metric

What do you mean by the standard? Android has more apps and more features so what exactly are you getting on an iPhone that you can't get on an Android?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Sadly iPhone is still the standard in the US, so that's what I have to go with for the moment
    You think the OS with 34% market share is the standard, not the OS with 65% market share?
    LOL. Druff is brainwashed. Kind of surprised a cheap Jew would be buying Apple products. They are poorly made and overpriced.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Don't you find it ironic that Druff wants a law against Apple fiddling with iOS to apparently nudge owners of older iPhone models to upgrade to a newer model, yet he's totally cool with an ISP that has a monopoly (or duopoly market power) on broadband Internet being legally able to throttle the download speed of competitors' broadband content?

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sure it's part greed but the carriers push them to not allow jail breaking so people don't get unlimited wifi without paying for a hotspot.

Thread Information