Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Apple admits it is slowing down older iPhones with iOS updates

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BUMP

Time did me a bit of a favor. Apple just rolled out the ability to order batteries AND do diagnostics over the phone, thus skipping that first visit step.

However, as this was just introduced yesterday, I didn't know about it, nor did the manager when he talked to me.

Tonight I called for diagnostics on both phones, and the idiot at Apple Support (national center, sounded like a third world call center) didn't inform me of this new change.

I couldn't just easily call back because it was a 45 minute hold time to get him in the first place (LOL).

However, the manager of this particular store had one of his employees order batteries for me anyway (non-standard, but they did it because of this whole mess), so I just need to come down in 1-2 weeks to have them installed when they arrive.

Will take like 90 minutes, but whatever. They wanted my phone passcode when I get there to "run diagnostics" after the battery change, which I obv refused, and they agreed.

So this will end up ok, I think.
    Just make sure they don't fuck with your phone somehow, say by upgrading the iOS when you don't want it.
    That's a good point. I don't think they can upgrade it if I don't give them the passcode to get into it. I will specify that I don't want any kind of iOS upgrade, though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Was informed that the iPhone 6 batteries come in quickly, but the 6 Plus (my gf's phone) may take til March!

What a mess.

So she might be waiting longer with a slow phone. They said if she's lucky, it will come in for her within 2 weeks.

This is unrelated to the problems I had at the store during the first visit, and applies to everyone with a 6 Plus.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    At the mall getting my battery replaced right now.

I was warned that they could "accidentally" break the phone and would replace it with a refurbished iPhone 6 -- which would be an absolute disaster, as it would be the current iOS.

I might have to see if jsearles has a second phone to sell.

I foolishly tipped my hand by telling them I didn't want the iOS updated during battery replacement, at which point they told me they would have to give me a new one with a new iOS if they "accidentally" break it.

Hopefully they don't do this on purpose because they know it's my phone they're replacing, and want to get me back for the incident a few weeks ago.

I'm holding my breath, and can finally exhale at 8:15 when I go pick it up and find out the news.

Load Metric

I was warned that they could "accidentally" break the phone and would replace it with a refurbished iPhone 6 -- which would be an absolute disaster, as it would be the current iOS.

I foolishly tipped my hand by telling them I didn't want the iOS updated during battery replacement, at which point they told me they would have to give me a new one with a new iOS if they "accidentally" break it.

Hopefully they don't do this on purpose because they know it's my phone they're replacing, and want to get me back for the incident a few weeks ago.

I'm holding my breath, and can finally exhale at 8:15 when I go pick it up and find out the news.
    you went back to the same store???

this is not going to end well

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

you went back to the same store???

this is not going to end well
    I had to, unless I wanted to drive really far. There was a second store which was a little bit farther but not a terrible drive, but that one closed.

Also, the general manager pushed my order through without me having to come back down there, which (at the time) wasn't possible unless I went all the way down to the far away store TWICE for this process.

So I had to take the chance.

I'm hoping it's a situation where they know lightning already struck once with me, and I created a big headache for the employees who fucked with me the first time. My guess is that they aren't going to risk me going apeshit on them a second time, but maybe some passive-aggressive asshole in the back will do it anyway, figuring he won't have to directly deal with me.

Obviously I had the phone locked and didn't give them the password for the replacement process. I'm sitting on my laptop in the food court waiting right now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, can I make a comment about Hot Dog on a Stick?

The owner, Dave Barham, was an old perv who only hired hot teen girls to work there, and they would wear colorful, short uniforms. Half the fun of going there in the 1980s was seeing the hot chicks (who were then around my age) serving me.

While it had 100 locations, there was a strict, unstated policy in place not to hire dudes or ugly chicks.

Well, the guy croaked in early 1991, and left the entire company to his employees. Things changed immediately, and they started hiring anyone who wanted to work there.

Today I was served my corn dogs by a teenage boy with a chip on his shoulder.

Times have sure changed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Phone is ok

However battery life still kinda sucks.

Maybe the final joke is on me and they did nothing.

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric

The owner, Dave Barham, was an old perv who only hired hot teen girls to work there, and they would wear colorful, short uniforms. Half the fun of going there in the 1980s was seeing the hot chicks (who were then around my age) serving me.

While it had 100 locations, there was a strict, unstated policy in place not to hire dudes or ugly chicks.

Well, the guy croaked in early 1991, and left the entire company to his employees. Things changed immediately, and they started hiring anyone who wanted to work there.

Times have sure changed.
    Fucking kid was probably an android user

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

Go back to page 7 (post #123) to read about my awful experience almost 2 years ago at this store.

That's why I was dreading going back, but it's the only Apple Store in my area, so I had little choice unless I wanted to drive a million miles in traffic.

Why did I have to go back? My girfriend's 11 Pro, which she got in October, was struggling to load data. This was true of both cellular data and Wifi. It was an intermittent problem, and sometimes would work fine. However, other times it crawled along. I even did speed tests right next to my iPhone XR. The XR would consistently get good speeds on Wifi, while her 11 Pro got shit speeds -- sometimes lower than 1 Mbit/sec download. It seemed to struggle more on 5GHz Wifi than 2.4GHz, for whatever reason, but either way it was intermittent.

I found out the good news that, if her phone was replaced on warranty, it wouldn't be refurbished, which was a huge relief. However, I would have to prove to Apple that there was a problem. I made a "Genius Bar" appointment and crossed my fingers. If I got that same asshole from 2018, I was going to ask for someone else.

Well, I got there, and it wasn't the same guy from 2018. In fact, I didn't even see him there. The guy I got seemed nice. He ran some kind of over-the-air diagnostic test on her phone, and it came up with no issue. I also couldn't repeat the problem in front of him, which was what I was afraid would happen. I was very nervous that he was going to tell me to kick rocks. Then he tried to get me to do this whole stupid thing where they clear the phone entirely and reload the OS from scratch, which apparently is different than the usual OS upgrade procedure you do when a new one comes out. He told me that I couldn't backup/restore, or it would possibly bring on the same problem, if it was software related (such as a corrupt OS). I would have to manually load all the apps back on (ugh) and have to use iCloud to get the pictures and other data back on. We would also lose all app data no matter what.

I told him that this seemed like a lot of trouble for what appeared to be a shot in the dark to fix the problem. I said, "This really seems like a hardware issue to me. That's what seems most likely. And no offense, but I don't believe that diagnostic test you just ran could pick up on something like a weak or faulty antenna within the phone, or some other hard-to-diagnose issue causing this."

Surprisingly, he conceded that, yes, I could be right, and that the phone might really have a hardware problem which is undetectable by their software.

He said, "Well, how about this... I'll put you in for a replacement phone, but if you restore your backup, and it still has this problem, obviously it's a software issue and you'll have to come back in and do what I suggested before."

Believing it to be hardware, I was thrilled with this solution. However, he did need to order the phone which would take several days. A week later, I came down, swapped out her phone for a new 11 Pro, and then restored it at home with her apps & data. No more issues! Everything works fine! So I was right about the first phone being faulty, and now she apparently has a good one.

I guess it's all about who you get helping you at the store.

In January 2018, I got two awful employees who were abusive and nasty to me, all because they didn't want to admit they were closing early for an in-store memorial. They made it seem like I was the jerk, and I was threatened that they'd fuck with my account if I didn't accept fault and come back another day. The guy was so awful that he actually came to his boss the next day before I did, and admitted that he was "out of line" and "lost his temper".

Now in November 2019, at the same store, they went above and beyond, and replaced an expensive phone when they otherwise wouldn't have done so in most cases.

Pretty much polar opposite in the two visits. One was inexplicably awful, this one was surprisingly good.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Times have sure changed.
    BTW, the above was the infamous Hot Dog on a Stick second dinner, which stretched my stomach and caused me to start gaining weight in 2018. I blame Apple.

Comments

Sanlmar:

MumblesBadly: How thought conservatives believed in “personal responsibility”?

Load Metric

Times have sure changed.
    BTW, the above was the infamous Hot Dog on a Stick second dinner, which stretched my stomach and caused me to start gaining weight in 2018. I blame Apple.
    Owner leaves business to employees. Employees drive it into bankruptcy.

A rich California Jew scoops it for pennies at bankruptcy auction.

The End.

Great trivia

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

The End.

Great trivia
    Wow, I didn't even know about the bankruptcy and the subsequent purchase for $12m.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...821-story.html

Looks like a great deal.

Though they did assume the company's liabilities, so I wonder how much that added to it.

It does kinda suck that you can't get a cheap lemonade as part of a meal deal anymore. They have meals you can buy, but lemonade is excluded. That lemonade, especially with the cherry flavoring, is excellent. I could drink 64 ounces of it in one sitting and still want more.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

The End.

Great trivia
    Is the Hot Dog on a Stick as good as the Cup o Pizza?

Load Metric
    Who the fuck eats at Hot Dog On A Stick?

No one in their right mind.

Look, shopping malls are dead.
    Nobody shops at them anymore.

Sears, Macys, JC Penney's simply won't exist in a few years and after Trump leaves office in 2021, a great depression and recession will hit America.

Don't blame the internet.
    Blame Donald Trump.

All shopping malls will soon look like this one...

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

Sears, Macys, JC Penney's simply won't exist in a few years and after Trump leaves office in 2021, a great depression and recession will hit America.

Blame Donald Trump.

YOU'RE SUCH A BAD PARODY. DID EVIL TRUMP INVENT THE ECOMMERCE THAT HAS LED TO BRICK AND MORTAR RETAIL DOWNSIZING? NO. FUCKING POOF.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric

Times have sure changed.
    I thought Druff would be more of Cinnabon person.

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric

Blame Donald Trump.

That's the mall from Stranger Things season 3 isn't it?
    #ToddsPlan

Load Metric
    In the 80's and 90's it was cool to shop at the mall.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

$500 million settlement approved

Supposedly everyone with iPhones 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus or SE device bought before December 21, 2017 will get $25, but that amount will likely be substantially less due to class action bullshit.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/02/ap...-older-phones/

Load Metric

Blame Donald Trump.

Is that Dixie Square Mall?

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information