Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL 2017 MLB HOT STOVE THREAD***

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Like the work you and gut are doing here.

Gotta ask... since Sawks signed Mitch Moreland (1st base) what would they do with that bum (ex Dodger) Hanley Ramirez who is either 1st or DH?

Two bad shoulders.

Lol $22 mi/yr

If Ramirez has 497 plate appearances in 2018 he inks another $22m in 2019.

In 2017, Ramirez had 553 plate appearances, meaning he needs 497 in 2018 to trigger the option for 2019. Admittedly, this isn’t a guarantee. Aside from any assumptions about his level of play next season, Ramirez has reached 497 plate appearances in three of the past five seasons.
    Obviously, Sawks want to dump him. Eat money? Taking Martinez saves spewing $22m in 2019 as Hanley would never touch the green grass of Fenway. So there is an interesting puzzle.

I just don’t think Sawks are serious about JD nevertheless.

I logged off with the dislikable Sawks two years ago and the Yankees brought me great joy. But I will say this: there is zero hot stove talk locally about Sawks. Yeah, I get the Patriots and Celtics but that is not unusual. In past years there is lots of off season discussion and hate. Not this year.
    stove seems dead as fuck this year...it's mid January and still no deal for arietta, jd, etc...

wouldn't they just put hanley at DH? they don't have any other options do they?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Like the work you and gut are doing here.

Gotta ask... since Sawks signed Mitch Moreland (1st base) what would they do with that bum (ex Dodger) Hanley Ramirez who is either 1st or DH?

Two bad shoulders.

Lol $22 mi/yr

If Ramirez has 497 plate appearances in 2018 he inks another $22m in 2019.

In 2017, Ramirez had 553 plate appearances, meaning he needs 497 in 2018 to trigger the option for 2019. Admittedly, this isn’t a guarantee. Aside from any assumptions about his level of play next season, Ramirez has reached 497 plate appearances in three of the past five seasons.
    Obviously, Sawks want to dump him. Eat money? Taking Martinez saves spewing $22m in 2019 as Hanley would never touch the green grass of Fenway. So there is an interesting puzzle.

I just don’t think Sawks are serious about JD nevertheless.

I logged off with the dislikable Sawks two years ago and the Yankees brought me great joy. But I will say this: there is zero hot stove talk locally about Sawks. Yeah, I get the Patriots and Celtics but that is not unusual. In past years there is lots of off season discussion and hate. Not this year.
    Could be worse for the Sox, at least there is only 1 year left on this deal. Might have been able to trade him to the Mets (while paying 80%+ of the salary), but they already found their garage sale 1B with AGonz.

Yankees will gladly send Ellsbury back for Hanley. Want Pujols? Texas will ship over Shin-Soo Choo in a heartbeat. A pitcher maybe? The Reds have Homer Baileys bags packed and ready to ship. Florida would gladly take Hanley back if ya want Wi Yen Chen.....

....and people are wondering why teams are not signing these B-level free agents to giant deals this year.

Load Metric
    Hanley back at DH. Sawks were anemic with HR and offense generally.

He was batting around the 7th spot as DH which was fucking priceless.

Gut points out some interesting likelihoods but none address their offense.

Hope they die in a grease fire and the death lasts all summer long.

Yankees v Boston April 11th. Boston will be apoplectic when they witness the Yankee’s HR’s raining down in the bleachers like the snow that is likely on that date.

Please dear god may Price be pitching that day. Amen

Load Metric
    But with the state of the stove....These 5 big starters will all sign soon, whenever the first one does. Besides teams not wanting to give any of these guys more than 4 or 5 years, I think the lack of a clear best guy is slowing it down also. Some prefer Darvish, some Arrieta, and probably some don't want either and would rather go with Lynn or Cobb.

But eventually, you'll see those 4 (and Jaime Garcia) signed relatively soon. Mix-n-match with the Twins, Cubs, Phillies, Orioles, and some other 5th team.

The hitters....eh I dunno. Earlier in this thread I mentioned the possibility of signing a 1 year deal. According to Jeff Passan's latest column, 1 of the big name FA's (who received a QO from their old team) is already talking about possibly waiting until after the draft in June to sign, after the draft pick compensation gets dropped. This happened a couple years ago to two guys the same season, Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew. I wonder who it is this season who passan was talking about, my guess is Moustakas.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    yelich to brewers...wow...yeah this aint gonna be pretty...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Since Yelich bashed the Marlins pretty hard after they traded the others, his ticket out was already stamped.

Now the question is if they're going to complete one of the biggest dumps in recent history by getting rid of Realmuto and/or Bour.

Neither of these guys make very much, but I could see the Marlins shipping them if they feel they'll get good enough prospects.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Since Yelich bashed the Marlins pretty hard after they traded the others, his ticket out was already stamped.

Now the question is if they're going to complete one of the biggest dumps in recent history by getting rid of Realmuto and/or Bour.

Neither of these guys make very much, but I could see the Marlins shipping them if they feel they'll get good enough prospects.
    don't forget castro, he wants out as well...

if some team comes to them with the right offer all those guys are gone...then it becomes REAAAAAAAAALY fun!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    some days I wasn't able there was always cain...5-80 to the brewers...seems kinda high...

Load Metric
    Even more interesting is the Brewers now have 5 quality OF's, there must be another trade in the works for a rotation piece? Either Broxton or Santana the most likely to be traded, although would be interesting if they're dealing Braun....

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Even more interesting is the Brewers now have 5 quality OF's, there must be another trade in the works for a rotation piece? Either Broxton or Santana the most likely to be traded, although would be interesting if they're dealing Braun....
    would guess braun is the least likely because he's owed the most, but ive been hella wrong about this shit before...

really interesting a team like the brewers would go there for that amount of money on cain...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Damnit, I have Broxton for $2 on my fantasy team.

Terrible offseason for both of my fantasy teams, which are NL-only, and have seen players either lose starting jobs or get shipped to the AL.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    would guess braun is the least likely because he's owed the most, but ive been hella wrong about this shit before...

really interesting a team like the brewers would go there for that amount of money on cain...
    Yeah and I think Braun has his 10/5 rights now, so he would have to approve any trade....probably a bigger hindrance than his money left, only 3/60 guaranteed.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    aight gut you seem to know about this shit...riddle me what the hell the brewers are thinking on this...cant fucking figure it out...16 per on a decentish player...don't remember when braun signed his deal, but 20 per year for his kinda numbers when he signed the deal (assuming 3-4 years ago) feels like an OK spend...I mean if I'm gonna spend that much money on cain, I'm gonna spend the extra 5-6/year and go after JD...

Load Metric
    aight gut you seem to know about this shit...riddle me what the hell the brewers are thinking on this...cant fucking figure it out...16 per on a decentish player...don't remember when braun signed his deal, but 20 per year for his kinda numbers when he signed the deal (assuming 3-4 years ago) feels like an OK spend...I mean if I'm gonna spend that much money on cain, I'm gonna spend the extra 5-6/year and go after JD...
    Well, if you believe what was leaked, Cain had multiple 4-year offers. Milwaukee probably had to up it to 5 to get him, the unwritten "free agent tax" some teams have to pay for not being a desirable location.

Cain vs JD? In a vacuum, at the current prices, yeah I'd take JD. I can see why Milwaukee didn't though. Power wasn't a weakness for the Brewers last year. They're talking about maybe giving Braun some time at 1B this year as well, which would give some lineup flexibility. Still need to deal one outfielder, I'd assume Broxton is gone. So you figure on some days, an outfield of Yelich-Cain-Santana will be pretty damn solid defensively, plus all 3 could hit .300 with good enough power between the 3 of them.

JD is a liability in the field, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign in the AL. The Brewers already have 2 of those guys with Braun and Thames that they have to hide. Braun's bat should be in the lineup everyday, Thames vs righties.

Load Metric
    Players and agents starting to bitch pretty loudly. There is an easy answer to this IMO, that not a whole lot of people that I read have mentioned.....knock down the rookie contracts from 3 years to 1 year. get them to arbitration and potential FA quicker. Of, course, good luck to the MLBPA on that one, and it will probably take a strike.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Players and agents starting to bitch pretty loudly. There is an easy answer to this IMO, that not a whole lot of people that I read have mentioned.....knock down the rookie contracts from 3 years to 1 year. get them to arbitration and potential FA quicker. Of, course, good luck to the MLBPA on that one, and it will probably take a strike.
    yeah this year has been extremely strange...how far are we from spring training? cant be more than 2 weeks before pitchers/catchers report and there are a relative shitton of high profile guys still out there...

damn shame the agents are gonna have to earn their percentages in this market instead of GMs just throwing around 8 figure, long-term deals like drunken frat boys...

and LOL on them claiming collusion...GTFO...
    Last edited by GambleBotsChafedPenis; 02-02-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Load Metric
    Yu Darvish wants to be a Yankee

We all do, Yu.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Fuck Yu.

On the Marlins front, Realmuto lost arbitration (???), and he's stuck making $2.9m.

Bour won arbitration, bumping him from $3m to $3.4m. More notably, Bour said he wants to remain a Marlin, and doesn't give a shit that the team will be awful. I think he'd rather rule in hell than serve in heaven.

Realmuto still wants out.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Fuck Yu.

On the Marlins front, Realmuto lost arbitration (???), and he's stuck making $2.9m.

Bour won arbitration, bumping him from $3m to $3.4m. More notably, Bour said he wants to remain a Marlin, and doesn't give a shit that the team will be awful. I think he'd rather rule in hell than serve in heaven.

Realmuto still wants out.
    LOL.

Realmuto lost his arbitration but Shelby Miller won his. Go figure on that for awhile.

Wish the Cardinals were trying to get Realmuto. God bless Molina but he turns 36 in July & how many games will they get out of him? Lucky if half a season. Good hitting & good all around catchers don't come along that often. The guy is a prize.

Load Metric
    yeah this year has been extremely strange...how far are we from spring training? cant be more than 2 weeks before pitchers/catchers report and there are a relative shitton of high profile guys still out there...

damn shame the agents are gonna have to earn their percentages in this market instead of GMs just throwing around 8 figure, long-term deals like drunken frat boys...

and LOL on them claiming collusion...GTFO...
    Checked a couple of days ago & most teams pitchers & catchers report around Valentines day. Seems like it used to be earlier like around now. Maybe some CBA thing. Be here soon enough.

Thread Information