Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL 2017 MLB HOT STOVE THREAD***

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Jeter to get extra millions for salary dumping: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/d...ns-profitable/

Also, there are rumors now that they are "listening" to offers for Justin Bour, who is arbitration eligible this year.

If they send away Yelich and Bour, in addition to Stanton who is already gone, this is going to be one awful lineup.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh and also no more Dee Gordon.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Jeter to get extra millions for salary dumping: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/d...ns-profitable/

Also, there are rumors now that they are "listening" to offers for Justin Bour, who is arbitration eligible this year.

If they send away Yelich and Bour, in addition to Stanton who is already gone, this is going to be one awful lineup.
    yeah, they will be a team of replacement level players -- somewhere around 35-45 wins for the season?
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

yeah, they will be a team of replacement level players -- somewhere around 35-45 wins for the season?
    before I read your post I was gonna say 35...think the first year tank astros were like 40-45...too lazy to look, but think they at least had some marginally talented guys if memory serves...this marlins team will be straight AA/AAA players...

Load Metric
    Wow. Twins sign Jordan Pacheco.

Fresh off a dominating stint in indy ball, he will provide some solid AAA infield depth. HOT STOVE HEATING UP!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Wow. Twins sign Jordan Pacheco.

Fresh off a dominating stint in indy ball, he will provide some solid AAA infield depth. HOT STOVE HEATING UP!
    I forgot that this guy was still playing baseball.

LOL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Apparently Marlins aren't very happy with the offers they are getting for Bour, Prado, Yelich, and Realmuto thus far, so perhaps these guys won't get moved and the team won't be as horrendous as it appears.

But if by some chance they move all four, the team will have one of the worst lineups in recent memory.

In order of likelihood to move (from most to least):

Yelich
    Realmuto
    Prado
    Bour

Prado has negative trade value, so they would have to eat salary to get rid of him. However, there is some belief that moving him now would be "sell low", as he had decent years from 2014-16, and had a single horrible year in 2017, so maybe they'll wait for him to do better in 2018 and move him then.

Bour may not get moved because he's not that expensive, as he's just arb-eligible, and he was very productive last year when he wasn't injured. But he might yield a lot in a trade, so they are probably very tempted.

As it stands, Ozuna, Gordon, and Stanton are already gone.

They would also like to move some mediocre pitchers such as Chen, Ziegler, and Tazawa, but these three all have negative trade value, and again would require either eating salary or attaching them to a better player being traded (like Bour or Yelich). Losing any of these three wouldn't matter much to the team's win total.

Load Metric
    Apparently Marlins aren't very happy with the offers they are getting for Bour, Prado, Yelich, and Realmuto thus far, so perhaps these guys won't get moved and the team won't be as horrendous as it appears.

But if by some chance they move all four, the team will have one of the worst lineups in recent memory.

In order of likelihood to move (from most to least):

Yelich
    Realmuto
    Prado
    Bour

Prado has negative trade value, so they would have to eat salary to get rid of him. However, there is some belief that moving him now would be "sell low", as he had decent years from 2014-16, and had a single horrible year in 2017, so maybe they'll wait for him to do better in 2018 and move him then.

Bour may not get moved because he's not that expensive, as he's just arb-eligible, and he was very productive last year when he wasn't injured. But he might yield a lot in a trade, so they are probably very tempted.

As it stands, Ozuna, Gordon, and Stanton are already gone.

They would also like to move some mediocre pitchers such as Chen, Ziegler, and Tazawa, but these three all have negative trade value, and again would require either eating salary or attaching them to a better player being traded (like Bour or Yelich). Losing any of these three wouldn't matter much to the team's win total.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they all stay. If so, the lineup is still halfway respectable, but no pitching. Detroit might actually be a worse team....although the main guys on detroit who have negative trade value (Miggy, VMart) could have bounce-back seasons and they could be halfway competitive also.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    You forgot Castro in that mix who was pretty decent for the Yankees last year...

So today Bruce gets 3/39 from the mets...seems low to me...if you woulda asked me hat I thought Bruce would get I woulda said 15-18...

Khris Davis also gets 10.5 in arb from the As...seems like a nice little value for the As for a guy who was 40-110 last year...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Donaldson gets 1/23 from the jays...

Seems about right...man this FA shit is moving fucking slow...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

Donaldson will be an interesting case next offseason. Late bloomer hitting free agency for the first time at age 33. I wonder what the length of the deal will be.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Donaldson will be an interesting case next offseason. Late bloomer hitting free agency for the first time at age 33. I wonder what the length of the deal will be.
    At least 8 years if he has boras as an agent...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Not too different from Justin Turner. He got 4/64 from the Dodgers, and definitely was worth the first year of it.

Load Metric
    The San Francisco Giants acquired outfielder Andrew McCutchen from the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday for right-hander Kyle Crick, minor league outfielder Bryan Reynolds and $500,000 in international signing bonus allocation.

Pittsburgh also will send the Giants cash to cover part of McCutchen's $14.75 million salary.

The 31-year-old McCutchen, a former National League MVP and the face of the Pirates' franchise, became the second star jettisoned by Pittsburgh in three days. Ace Gerrit Cole was traded to Houston on Saturday.

Pirates chairman Bob Nutting said the trade was "one of the most emotionally agonizing decisions that we have had to make in my tenure."

"Andrew helped create so many special memories both on and off the field for me, our organization and our fans. He did so while always carrying himself with humility, dignity and grace," Nutting said.

Pittsburgh ended a two-decade postseason drought in 2013 and made three straight playoff appearances before falling to 78-83 in 2016 and 75-87 last year.

"Making the right decision for the Pirates organization is at times difficult and, on rare occasions, painful," Pirates president Frank Coonelly said. "No player was more disappointed than Andrew that we did not break through and win a World Series championship for the city of Pittsburgh."

Earlier in the offseason, the Giants acquired third baseman Evan Longoria from Tampa Bay.

McCutchen, the 2013 NL MVP, takes over in center from Denard Span, who was traded to the Rays in the Longoria deal. San Francisco wanted more production and steady defense from the center field position after a last-place season in the NL West.

The Giants are hoping McCutchen will bolster an outfield that lacks proven veteran depth beyond Hunter Pence.
    Personally I feel like not only was McCutchen overrated in his prime, I feel like hes no longer even in his prime. Pittsburgh was smart to move him for something, especially given his contract
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Giants decided that a 98-loss season in 2017 wasn't going to stop them from trying to compete with the Dodgers in 2018.

In addition to getting a healthy Madison Bumgarner back (unless he injures himself again with off-the-field antics), they acquired Evan Longoria and Andrew McCutchen over the past few days.

Longoria hasn't hit over .273 since 2012, and he only had 20 HR last year, but he still has a solid enough bat.

McCutchen had a down 2016, hitting only .256, but he improved in 2017, so maybe he's righted the ship. Still, he's not the defensive player he once was, and offensively he's not going to put up the 900+ OPS that he did for several seasons. Again, he will definitely help the Giants offensively, but he's no longer a superstar.

Pirates seem like they're giving up, as they also traded Gerrit Cole. Sorry, badguy.

These trades, combined with presumably improved years from Cueto and Bumgarner, plus perhaps a healthy (but 35-year-old) Pence might mean that the Giants will no longer be awful.

But can they compete with the Dodgers, or even make the wildcard?

I doubt it.

Posey, Crawford, and Belt are all over 30 now. I don't see any of them stepping up to significantly improve in 2018.

They don't really have much pitching beyond Bumgarner and Cueto.

Dodgers are going to sit pretty and are unlikely to acquire anyone of note, as they want to stay under the luxury tax this year. Still, they're bringing back mostly the same team they fielded in 2017 -- minus some dead weight they traded -- and there's not likely to be much degradation, given that the stars of the team were mostly young. The only two key Dodgers players who are getting up there are Turner (33) and Hill (38), but they will likely still perform well in 2018, provided they remain healthy.

Dodgers should win the NL West again in 2018. Where they go from there is anyone's guess.

Load Metric
    Druff, the Giants just need to scrape into the Postseason. The Dodgers need to win the Division so they have a shot at losing in the playoffs.

Paging Sanlmar, he loves this topic.

Load Metric
    That Astros rotation now....damn. Could be the best in baseball now in quality AND depth: Verlander, Keuchel, Cole, McCullers, Morton....with Peacock and Mchugh around as well in the pen.

Load Metric
    Giants decided that a 98-loss season in 2017 wasn't going to stop them from trying to compete with the Dodgers in 2018.

In addition to getting a healthy Madison Bumgarner back (unless he injures himself again with off-the-field antics), they acquired Evan Longoria and Andrew McCutchen over the past few days.

Longoria hasn't hit over .273 since 2012, and he only had 20 HR last year, but he still has a solid enough bat.

McCutchen had a down 2016, hitting only .256, but he improved in 2017, so maybe he's righted the ship. Still, he's not the defensive player he once was, and offensively he's not going to put up the 900+ OPS that he did for several seasons. Again, he will definitely help the Giants offensively, but he's no longer a superstar.

Pirates seem like they're giving up, as they also traded Gerrit Cole. Sorry, badguy.

These trades, combined with presumably improved years from Cueto and Bumgarner, plus perhaps a healthy (but 35-year-old) Pence might mean that the Giants will no longer be awful.

But can they compete with the Dodgers, or even make the wildcard?

I doubt it.

Posey, Crawford, and Belt are all over 30 now. I don't see any of them stepping up to significantly improve in 2018.

They don't really have much pitching beyond Bumgarner and Cueto.

Dodgers are going to sit pretty and are unlikely to acquire anyone of note, as they want to stay under the luxury tax this year. Still, they're bringing back mostly the same team they fielded in 2017 -- minus some dead weight they traded -- and there's not likely to be much degradation, given that the stars of the team were mostly young. The only two key Dodgers players who are getting up there are Turner (33) and Hill (38), but they will likely still perform well in 2018, provided they remain healthy.

Dodgers should win the NL West again in 2018. Where they go from there is anyone's guess.
    The Giants really are operating like the guy who is at the bar late and has to work in the morning, and when his friends tell him "hey man you're drunk and gonna feel like shit tomorrow" the guy says "fuck it, if I'm already gonna feel bad...more shots!"

Their last two trades bumped them up to an 85 win projection season as of today....but holy shit that is the most paper-thin 85 win projection ever. There is NO DEPTH at all on this team/organization. They have 4 starters that belong on a ML roster....and 1 of them has 10 career starts, and another has a huge contract and was below average last year. Their farm system was one of the worst in baseball BEFORE those two trades. They still have no CF, and if they sign Cain they lose a 2nd rd pick.

I mean...when 6 of the 15 NL teams are in various stages of a tear-down-and-rebuild, I guess it makes sense, in a way, to try to stay relevant. Considering that with their roster, the only way to really get value in a rebuild would mean trading Bumgarner and Posey....I wonder if their future will be like the Mariners last 5 years....just a middling, stars-and-scrubs roster.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    just saw a crawl on the bottom of ESPN so hope I saw this right...jd getting a 5/100 offer from the sauwks? jesus that seems low...thought he was expected to get 200+...damn the money is drrrrrrrrrrrrrying up...

Load Metric
    just saw a crawl on the bottom of ESPN so hope I saw this right...jd getting a 5/100 offer from the sauwks? jesus that seems low...thought he was expected to get 200+...damn the money is drrrrrrrrrrrrrying up...
    Like the work you and gut are doing here.

Gotta ask... since Sawks signed Mitch Moreland (1st base) what would they do with that bum (ex Dodger) Hanley Ramirez who is either 1st or DH?

Two bad shoulders.

Lol $22 mi/yr

If Ramirez has 497 plate appearances in 2018 he inks another $22m in 2019.

In 2017, Ramirez had 553 plate appearances, meaning he needs 497 in 2018 to trigger the option for 2019. Admittedly, this isn’t a guarantee. Aside from any assumptions about his level of play next season, Ramirez has reached 497 plate appearances in three of the past five seasons.
    Obviously, Sawks want to dump him. Eat money? Taking Martinez saves spewing $22m in 2019 as Hanley would never touch the green grass of Fenway. So there is an interesting puzzle.

I just don’t think Sawks are serious about JD nevertheless.

I logged off with the dislikable Sawks two years ago and the Yankees brought me great joy. But I will say this: there is zero hot stove talk locally about Sawks. Yeah, I get the Patriots and Celtics but that is not unusual. In past years there is lots of off season discussion and hate. Not this year.

Thread Information