Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The NFL is collapsing

Load Metric

The NFL is collapsing

The NFL as we know it is finished. I am not going to say it will cease to exist, but it is going the way of professional boxing.

What is killing the NFL are several reasons. In no particular order:

1) Nobody wants to attend games any more. Stadiums are generally half empty. Have you been to an NFL game lately? It's an awful and expensive experience. I went to a Jets game last year and it was horrible. Cold, damp, getting up every 5 minutes so some clown can take a piss, $8 beers, etc.. I was like WTF am I doing here, I could not wait until the game was over. Ratings are also tanking, just too much on TV and Netflix is becoming a category killer

2) CTE. The lawsuits are just starting and they will never end. Parents simply are not going to allow their kids to play anymore

3) Baseball is on the rebound. Now that steroids are out of the game it's just a more compelling story for fans. Plus, baseball realized it is not a national sport. It's a local and regional sport and the individual teams locked up ridiculously lucrative local TV contracts. The light bulb went off, nobody in Seattle gives a shit about the Padres, but they sure do care about the Mariners. These local contracts are huge money makers and get high ratings. Remember Monday Night Baseball? When MLB finally realized nobody in Chicago cares about a Astros-Dodgers game they finally got it

4) NFL Player activity. Guns, Drugs, Rapes, Anthems, etc.. People are just worn out

5) But the biggest issue with the NFL is they over exposed themselves. They used to own Sundays afternoons. Now they broadcast Sunday mornings from Europe, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night and Saturdays in December. Mix that with college football it's just too much. A analyst said it best the other day with the NFL: Ice cream is great, but too much kills you long term. Mark Cuban was right 5 years ago, the NFL was getting "hoggy" and pigs get slaughtered.

The NFL's best days are way behind them. As fewer kids play the game, the less interest will happen long term.

I am short on football, long on baseball. I wish there was a way I could bet it.

Comments

Daly: Unfortunately I agree with all of this

Sanlmar: Good work

duped_samaritan: Never thought I'd be giving you green - good post/thread

Charham: yup

jacosta24: Merica

herbertstemple: The NFL is out the door.

gut: pretty much wrong

nunbeater: holy shit bottomset with a good post

Load Metric
    The nfl is just a terrible product. I think I heard a stat that in a 3 hour game, only something like 12 minutes is actual gameplay. Gambling/fantasy shit is the only thing saving it. Very hard to watch, if you your team isn't playing, and the game has no gambling/fantasy implications for you. College is probably better because every game is almost must win for elite teams. Rarely is a regular season game that important in the nfl.

Comments

DRK Star: I can watch 3 NFL games, using the dvr remote control, clicking fast forward/play, in 3 hours. I miss all the dead air.

jacosta24: Merica

Load Metric
    The real tragedy here is that in its wake, we can expect an unchecked avalanche of soccer commercials and propaganda.

I have no idea whats going to fill the void in America's psyche once football dies but I think its safe to say it wont be soccer.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandinavian Bob View Post
    The NFL as we know it is finished. I am not going to say it will cease to exist, but it is going the way of professional boxing.

1) Nobody wants to attend games any more. Stadiums are generally half empty. Have you been to an NFL game lately? It's an awful and expensive experience. I went to a Jets game last year and it was horrible. Cold, damp, getting up every 5 minutes so some clown can take a piss, $8 beers, etc.. I was like WTF am I doing here, I could not wait until the game was over. Ratings are also tanking, just too much on TV and Netflix is becoming a category killer

2) CTE. The lawsuits are just starting and they will never end. Parents simply are not going to allow their kids to play anymore

3) Baseball is on the rebound. Now that steroids are out of the game it's just a more compelling story for fans. Plus, baseball realized it is not a national sport. It's a local and regional sport and the individual teams locked up ridiculously lucrative local TV contracts. The light bulb went off, nobody in Seattle gives a shit about the Padres, but they sure do care about the Mariners. These local contracts are huge money makers and get high ratings. Remember Monday Night Baseball? When MLB finally realized nobody in Chicago cares about a Astros-Dodgers game they finally got it

4) NFL Player activity. Guns, Drugs, Rapes, Anthems, etc.. People are just worn out

5) But the biggest issue with the NFL is they over exposed themselves. They used to own Sundays afternoons. Now they broadcast Sunday mornings from Europe, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night and Saturdays in December. Mix that with college football it's just too much. A analyst said it best the other day with the NFL: Ice cream is great, but too much kills you long term. Mark Cuban was right 5 years ago, the NFL was getting "hoggy" and pigs get slaughtered.

The NFL's best days are way behind them. As fewer kids play the game, the less interest will happen long term.

I am short on football, long on baseball. I wish there was a way I could bet it.
    Are you in Florida, I need new shiter installed in rental house
    -Allergic to the struggle

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Im over the NFL and i couldnt get enough of it at one time. that was when it was only on Sunday 1pm 4pm and monday night and not every other day. i couldnt give a shit to sit and watch an NFL game any more. i can follow the score on my phone if im that interested because ive got money on it but i could litterally never watch another NFL game and be happy with it. Baseball is another story, i love having a baseball game on tv even if im not watching just for background noise and im still a guy who loves baseball on the radio. FWIW i liked Monday Night Baseball as a kid because it was one of the few times id get the chance to see a national league game.

youre also right about the over saturation...its all day every day and im completely turned off by it

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4BET View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandinavian Bob View Post

Are you in Florida, I need new shiter installed in rental house
    Sorry Florida is for suckers, real ballers like bottomfag are in Perth or the Caymans ordering $140 appetizers.

Comments

4BET: Enjoy the snow storms this winter n-word
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    The real tragedy here is that in its wake, we can expect an unchecked avalanche of soccer commercials and propaganda.

I have no idea whats going to fill the void in America's psyche once football dies but I think its safe to say it wont be soccer.
    USA soccer is actually going to blow up huge soon. Parents of top notch jocks aren't going to let their kids play football because it will ruin their lives, so all of our top notch jocks are going to be playing soccer in the fall instead. Not sure if that will translate into it becoming a popular spectator sport here, but I think we will be a soccer super power within 20 years.

Comments

sah_24: Until they learn soccer has the same CTE problems, and actually has more recorded concussions...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SetofKs View Post
    The nfl is just a terrible product. I think I heard a stat that in a 3 hour game, only something like 12 minutes is actual gameplay. Gambling/fantasy shit is the only thing saving it. Very hard to watch, if you your team isn't playing, and the game has no gambling/fantasy implications for you. College is probably better because every game is almost must win for elite teams. Rarely is a regular season game that important in the nfl.

I dont know anyone that watches NFL without having some financial incentive to do so.

Any grown man that refers to a team as "my team" or "we lost because of blah blah" is probably a loser.

Comments

gut: it hurts me more than it hurts you to red rep this....
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

I dont know anyone that watches NFL without having some financial incentive to do so.

Any grown man that refers to a team as "my team" or "we lost because of blah blah" is probably a loser.
    I'm kind of torn here. Its fun to have a team that you cheer for. Usually your hometown team, or a team you cheered for since you were kid, so it brings back those childhood memories. That being said, eventually you become an adult and get a real life, so the team's results shouldn't really effect you much. Gotta find a happy medium I guess. Rooting for the home team is a good way to bond with the boys, socialize, and tip back some drinks. Bad to be an adult, and obsess over the shit though.

Load Metric

Fucking shit product. Dudes throw for 350 yards without ever growing a pass more than 15 yards long. Just boring. I love college because of the clash of styles, but I can’t get through an NFL game anymore. It’s a game ran by a bunch of risk-averse treadmill coaches.

Comments

lvpkr1009: college >>>>>pro

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

Name:  pokergo-felt-purple.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  166.5 KB

Comments

lvpkr1009: made me laugh rep

Platinum
    Load Metric

and they refuse to admit it which is hysterical...I get tweeting at a player who fucked you in fantasy is dumb, but for those guys to say 'we don't give a shit about your fantasy teams' is really fucking dumb...

adam silver is the only commish who seems to even be remotely close to 'getting it' (at least what he says publicly)...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

and they refuse to admit it which is hysterical...I get tweeting at a player who fucked you in fantasy is dumb, but for those guys to say 'we don't give a shit about your fantasy teams' is really fucking dumb...

adam silver is the only commish who seems to even be remotely close to 'getting it' (at least what he says publicly)...
    Are you sure? I'm wrong a lot, but I thought the NFL was huge supporters of DFS. They dont even show game scores on the bottom of the screen anymore. They just show player stats. And doesn't Kraft own a big percentage of one of those DFS sites?

Platinum
    Load Metric

Are you sure? I'm wrong a lot, but I thought the NFL was huge supporters of DFS. They dont even show game scores on the bottom of the screen anymore. They just show player stats. And doesn't Kraft own a big percentage of one of those DFS sites?
    youre right, kraft owns a piece of DK and I think jerry owns a piece of one as well, but not sure...

I didn't mean to imply the ownership of the NFL was against DFS/fantasy, but the players not realizing where their bread is buttered so to speak...

meant in general the NFL refuses to admit that their viewership is tied to gambling in one form or another...I mean its lol hypocritical for the league to post injury reports and then say that it's not for the benefit of those firing on vegas style gambling (and now DFS/fantasy too)...

Load Metric
    Thank god. It’s filled with toxic masculinity. People are finally getting woke
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric

youre right, kraft owns a piece of DK and I think jerry owns a piece of one as well, but not sure...

I didn't mean to imply the ownership of the NFL was against DFS/fantasy, but the players not realizing where their bread is buttered so to speak...

meant in general the NFL refuses to admit that their viewership is tied to gambling in one form or another...I mean its lol hypocritical for the league to post injury reports and then say that it's not for the benefit of those firing on vegas style gambling (and now DFS/fantasy too)...
    The players are just stupid and don't give a fuck because they already have huge contracts. For example, they are insulting rednecks by kneeling during the anthem, when like 80% of nfl fans are rednecks.

Comments

ftpjesus:

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric

I think that if I wasn't bred a patriots fan, I probably wouldn't have a favorite team.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post

I think that if I wasn't bred a patriots fan, I probably wouldn't have a favorite team.
    I think the only reason I care about how the Vikings/Minnesota teams do is because I have never seen a minnesota team win a championship since 91 when I was too young to know what was going on. I think if I was a boston fan, and saw all those championships I couldn't care anymore. Would be real interesting to see one of the Minnesota teams win it all once though.

Comments

nunbeater: SKOOOOL this could be the Vikings year yo

Platinum
    Load Metric

The players are just stupid and don't give a fuck because they already have huge contracts. For example, they are insulting rednecks by kneeling during the anthem, when like 80% of nfl fans are rednecks.
    Football players? This couldn't be further from the truth except for quarterbacks IMO. Most players don't get payed until their second contract, and most of them wash out before they even get there. That is why the owners have so much leverage in negotiating terms. Because the way salaries are structured most of the players in the league can't afford to strike. There careers are too short and they don't make enough.

I think most of the players are so blatantly racist against white people when they comment on social issues because they are told from a very young age that is what they are supposed to say, and if they don't they are Oreos and selling out. I don't even really think it is sincere. A lot of it is just giving in to peer pressure.

And yeah, I personally can't get enough NFL football. I love the Thursday games, I love the London games, I love the December Saturday games, etc. etc., but it is all tied to gambling. If there was just a random Sunday night game I had no action on (which is pretty much impossible for me) unless it was actually a good game (how often does that happen) I probably wouldn't be too interested.

Load Metric
    I just added up my NY Jet's debacle last year. This was four guys meeting in NYC for other reasons than just football, so I will strip out the cost of airfare and hotels:

Ticket: $160
    Cost of Car to take us to the game: My portion $50
    Two Rounds of Beers for 4 guys: $64
    Cost of Car to take us from the game: My portion $50
    Other guys bought food and more beers
    Misery Index $1,000

So my actual cost out of pocket was $324. Factor in my misery index @ $250 a hour for 4 hours you are looking at $1,324. It was a fucking terrible experience, I hated every minute of it. We were back at the hotel bar that evening and we were trying to convince ourselves what a great time we had, but it sucked at we all knew it. Factor in we all had 6am flights the next morning from Laguardia, we just went to our rooms like at 8pm totally defeated.

I'll never go to n NFL game again, even if someone gave me Superbowl tickets. I hate the NFL. For the record, I went to several MLB games and had a great time relaxing in the upper deck with nobody around me, so its not like I have some stadium anxiety issues.

Comments

Muck Ficon: :noose

Thread Information