Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: It pains me but I'm actually thinking of ditching the iPhone

Load Metric
    Who buys headphones and DOESNT think about fashion? They’re an accessory as much as anything else.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Who buys headphones and DOESNT think about fashion? They’re an accessory as much as anything else.
    Me. Buy them for how they sound obv.

And if you're trying to make a fashion statement these are a bad choice.

Load Metric
    A loaded 512GB iPhone XS MAX lists for $1500.

Anyone who pursued the sickness of high end audio or televisions back in the day probably feels a tug. Who amongst you didn’t drop huge money on a plasma TV? No one would believe what you paid now. The price kind of answered the technical questions for you.

If a little is good more is better.

Remind yourself that Apple has never spent a cent on iPhone advertising.

The pricing is so brazen that it creates a sinful allure. It feels familiar.

Load Metric
    $1,449 for an iPhone XS Max, the biggest iPhone ever.

And $500 for the Apple Series 4 Watch.

Last edited by TheXFactor; 09-13-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm not saying Air Pods shouldn't exist, or that nobody should like them.

I'm saying that I hate being forced into the choice to use them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I'm not saying Air Pods shouldn't exist, or that nobody should like them.

I'm saying that I hate being forced into the choice to use them.
    I wasnt forced into buying them. I made the choice.

How are they forcing people to buy them?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Air pods are just another hassle associated with owning a smart phone.

You have to worry about both charging them AND losing them.

It's so much nicer to have cheap headphones around the house where you don't have to worry if one of them vanishes or breaks. And it's even nicer to only have to worry about charging one device.

Eventually this iPhone 6 will become too obsolete, and I'll have to ditch it. For now, I'm much happier with a jailbroken 6 than a new current model.

Air Pods are the best "headphones" I have ever owned for a phone and it isnt even close. I have had every model of headphones that Apple has released with their Iphones and owned some powerbeats and wireless powerbeats. Both versions of Beats I owned were ok but do not compare.

Air Pod Review

Price- They cost $150 but are worth every penny

Comfort You do not have to deal with wires which are awful and even worse when you are tall. So more or less its like having nothing on your ears with no dumb wires.

Excellent for running / walking or any kind of activity

Sound Sound quality is really really good and they work great when you answer wireless calls

Charging Them They come with a case that is wireless and that charges them. So more or less you can just use them for hours upon end and then when your done the case recharges them. Then whenever you get around to it you charge the case

With multiple charges in your case, you get more than 24 hours of listening time, or up to 11 hours of talk time. If you charge your AirPods for 15 minutes in your case, you get up to 3 hours of listening time or over an hour of talk time. When the AirPod battery charge is low, you hear a tone in one or both AirPods

Losing Them They are very hard to lose. Even if you went out in the woods and started running with them. If one falls out of your ear the music stops and you know it just dropped

Or if you have no sound on and one falls out then you can can clearly hear how much louder everything is.

Falling out They literally never ever fall out. The only time I have dropped one was when I was doing situps and when I got up my hand rubbed one and it fell out.

The convenience factor + the sound quality make these unreal. There is nothing I have ever used when working out that is in the same ballpark as these. I can't tell you how many times the dumb wires get in the way or become unplugged or something to that effect.
    Good review but you forgot to mention how they taste. You must have accidentally eaten a few right?
    And do they survive the trip?
    Shitty sound at that point

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I've just ditched the iPhone for the first time since buying my first one in Hong Kong when they were new out in 2008.
    The 2 year contract on my 6S was over 2 weeks ago.
    After much thought I've gone for a Hauwei P20 Pro on EE. It's miles better than the 6S in every aspect. Camera, memory, processor speed, screen, battery life, etc. The Android user interface is a bit weird at first, but you soon get used to it, just as easy to use as iOS. The best thing about it was the deal; 30GB of data, unlimited texts and calls for £33 per month for 24 months, free handset. Superb value compared to the latest iPhones. Two weeks in and I'm not regretting my decision at all.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryQQQ View Post
    I've just ditched the iPhone for the first time since buying my first one in Hong Kong when they were new out in 2008.
    After much thought I've gone for a Hauwei P20 Pro on EE. It's miles better than the 6S in every aspect. Camera, memory, processor speed, screen, battery life, etc. The Android user interface is a bit weird at first, but you soon get used to it, just as easy to use as iOS. The best thing about it was the deal; 30GB of data, unlimited texts and calls for £33 per month for 24 months, free handset. Superb value compared to the latest iPhones. Two weeks in and I'm not regretting my decision at all.
    How about music and apps you paid for and downloaded for iOS? Do you have to start over and pay for them again? This is probably the biggest thing keeping me from switching.

Comments

dwai: Fuck. This is fucking terrible. He seemed to be doing ok last I saw him. Shocked and now starting to cry. A great guy he was. Fuck

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    How about music and apps you paid for and downloaded for iOS? Do you have to start over and pay for them again? This is probably the biggest thing keeping me from switching.
    Yes. But I didn't use my iPhone much for music (I mainly listen to podcasts or live radio) and only had a small number of paid-for apps, so this wasn't really an issue for me.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    iTunes is available on Android so all your music is fine.

Most apps are free of have a free equivalent so youre unlikely to have to pay out a ton of money for apps.
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    green bubble virgins the lot of ya

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Just like with cars you get sick of the phone after a year or two and want a replacement even if it doesn't add much value to day to day use. Lately the camera is about the only big plus I see and that is a part usually made by Sony or another manufacturer.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JTJTJTJT View Post
    Just like with cars you get sick of the phone after a year or two and want a replacement even if it doesn't add much value to day to day use. Lately the camera is about the only big plus I see and that is a part usually made by Sony or another manufacturer.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Good news Entropy, iPhone 14 has an antennae that can connect to a Apple satellite for continued service when our grid is hacked ….

I bet Jonathan Ive will do a sleek industrial design for their Sputnik.

Apple thinks of everything.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Follow up. I was very happy with my Oneplus 6 which lasted 4 years without issue, but I'm now back in Appleland with a iPhone 13 (and wireless earphones!).
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Good news Entropy, iPhone 14 has an antennae that can connect to a Apple satellite for continued service when our grid is hacked ….

im very curious to see how this gets fleshed out at the third party app layer.

the cost of getting satellite uplinks on boats in blue water for example is ludicrous. if apple disrupts that market, its honestly a very big deal.

trusting apple to roll out a grid disruption tolerant solution natively is probably naive simply because apple would almost certainly be forced by FCC regs to deprioritize civilian bandwidth during an event. but when you look at starlink charging $5000 a fucking month for maritime connectivity at 350mbs, you can see that there may be an opportunity for third parties to possibly offer 1/100th of starlinks bandwith at 1/100th the price and suddenly the world has changed.

Comments

Tellafriend: interesting
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

im very curious to see how this gets fleshed out at the third party app layer.

the cost of getting satellite uplinks on boats in blue water for example is ludicrous. if apple disrupts that market, its honestly a very big deal.

trusting apple to roll out a grid disruption tolerant solution natively is probably naive simply because apple would almost certainly be forced by FCC regs to deprioritize civilian bandwidth during an event. but when you look at starlink charging $5000 a fucking month for maritime connectivity at 350mbs, you can see that there may be an opportunity for third parties to possibly offer 1/100th of starlinks bandwith at 1/100th the price and suddenly the world has changed.
    Like HDTV, flat screen TVs, VR, and even cell phones themselves, satellite phones may finally get widespread usage decades after first being invented.

It didn't have to be this way.

In 1998, Iridium Communications embarked upon a massive effort to bring satellite phones to the mass consumer market. They got cooperation from then-VP Al Gore, esteemed inventor of the internet, who made the first Iridium call to the great grandson of Alexander Graham Bell (seriously). Motorola sunk a bunch of money into the project.

Even I got involved. I wrote software to test their circuit boards in their satellites (I was assigned to do this by their third-party contractor, who employed me at the time.)

Then... all the problems came. The handsets were bulky and heavy, and people hated them in an era where the light StarTac flip phone was all the rage. Reception indoors sucked. The phones themselves -- and the service -- were expensive. Worst yet, the service was very spotty until the entire constellation of satellites was launched, which wasn't expected to happen for years, due to the billions of dollars required to do so.

And if that wasn't all problem enough, Iridium also ran a failsite. People interested in the service would encounter 500 Internal Server errors and other issues when attempting to sign up via the Iridium site. The few interested customers gave up when encountering this unexpected hurdle.

By August 1999, they realized the entire thing was a disaster, and filed for bankruptcy. My software worked great, though. Can't pin this one on me.

By 2001, it appeared that all of the satellites would be taken out of orbit, but the US government came in and saved them. Presently, 66 satellites are in orbit over earth -- replacements of the initial ones launched. These new ones were put up between 2017 and 2019. This is enough to provide the service that was initially desired back in 1999.

Not sure if Apple's latest effort will utilize these, but we have the equipment in orbit if we want to take a second crack at satellite phones. There have been times I'm driving in remote forest/desert, or hiking in the hills, where I'd love to have an emergency phone if something happens. And as you said, having a reliable satellite phone for the ocean would be useful, and there's probably a market for cruise ships, as well (even to rent out per use).

We shall see.

Comments

sonatine: god i remember iridium.. great stuff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    Follow up. I was very happy with my Oneplus 6 which lasted 4 years without issue, but I'm now back in Appleland with a iPhone 13 (and wireless earphones!).
    Of course you did.

The iPhone is a status symbol that says, “If you mate with me, your kids are more likely to survive than if you carry an Android phone”

Thread Information