Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best live music acts

Load Metric

Best live music acts

Last night I knocked one off the bucket list and saw Depeche Mode in concert. Hell of a good show, for some old guys they still sounded great and at least gave the impression they were happy to be on stage performing.

I went to the show with my sister. We've both always been big music fans and particularly enjoy live music. On the drive home she asked me who would be high on my list of singers/bands to see. After Arcade Fire I had a hard time coming up with answers.

What are some of the best concerts you guys/gals have been to and who are some acts you would like to see?

Load Metric
    Paul McCartney is absolutely incredible live. Seen him twice. He's as energetic as ever.

The Stones are great live, seen them 5 times, but in recent years they've started to show their age.

Saw the Police on their reunion tour, it was fantastic, but who knows if they will ever tour again.

Michael Jackson was fucking amazing live. Saw him on the Bad tour in '87 in the Hoosier Dome.

Madonna is incredible live. Saw her a couple years ago. I like her old stuff though, she did too much new material.

Steely Dan are great live, very no-frills and focused on musicianship. Seen them 7 times. Fagen says he still plans to tour even though Becker has sadly passed on.

Most of the other acts I want to see are dead. I'd give my left nut to be able to go back in time and attend Woodstock or Monterrey Pop. Wish I could have seen Hendrix, Doors, the full Beatles, James Brown, or P-Funk when they still gave a shit.

Comments

ToasterOven: saw mccartney this month, was awesome

tony bagadonuts: Seen Macca thrice, he's the best that will ever be
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    I'll keep it to people you can still more than likely see. Off the top of my head, TOOL uber alles. Way better than Perfect Circle and pretty much all other bands in their category, if there really are any popular bands in their category.

Gov't Mule, because Warren Haynes is a true guitar prophet, whether he plays his own shit or anyone else's.

Marilyn Manson, even if you only kinda like them, their show is constantly evolving and blows away the stage shows of people like Alice Cooper and Kiss and the like. I saw them with NIN in th emid-90's, and alone many times on the following years, and they've only got better as far as the show is concerned.

If you've never seen any version of George Clinton and P-Funk, G-funk, or whoever the fuck he tours with now, a true experience like no other. 7 people may start a song, and 8 might end it, but only 2-3 were there for the whole song. Not many bands/orchestras can pull that shit off, all while people are doing weird dances on stage. If you are cool with diverse audiences, you won't find one more diverse than George Clinton. (edit: saw HK's comment, but I think P-Funk is worth it anyway, esp. if Bootsy is around)

Bob Mould or Mike Doughty, with as few other musicians as possible. Best served as guitar, vocals, and acoustic bass if necessary. If you ever liked Sugar, Husker DU, or Soul Coughing, or even if you didnt, these guys do amazing acoustic tours where their voice is front and center, and will move you if you are movable.

Amanda Palmer/Dresden Dolls. While you may not be the traditional audience for her, it doesn't matter one bit. As honest and emotionally open a performance as you will ever see, and even tho you will be a male among a TON of young emo girls and lesbians, she is truly a top shelf performer like nobody I've ever seen. She clearly gives a fuck more than most ever could.

Comments

Cupid Stunt: Tool are great live.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 10-28-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Load Metric
    Yes as to Paul McCartney. Easily the best concert I've ever attended. This last summer saw Queen w/Adam Lambert in Vegas and was blown away. An oldie but goodie for most folks here is Paul Anka (my age showing here). My bucket list includes Pink.

Load Metric
    At this point, the venue and specific rules have a huge impact on me.

I really don't enjoy any show at an arena anymore. There's always people having running conversations during the entire show and if cell phones aren't banned it's very distracting.

With the exception of McCartney at Little Caesars arena this year, all my favorite shows have been in concert halls. Patti Smith doing Horses was epic, and Australian Paul Kelly at a tiny club were the best shows recently.

Load Metric
    Zack Brown band puts on a great show

Load Metric
    cue drk star telling about shitt jam bands and how many hard drives of their music he has

Comments

DRK Star: Your words are hurtful

Load Metric
    lol

Load Metric
    I saw a lot of shows this year but Cage The Elephant was by far the standout performance.

Load Metric

was at this concert but almost missed it when we fell asleep on the train from Slovakia and ended up passing out and missing our stop in Hungary and ended up in Romania in 1986 this was a big problem. this was the first time i was ever scared for my life, we were detained, questioned and beaten up for hours, some one eventually fed us and stuck us back on the train to Budapest for the show. We had so much adrenaline from our adventure every thing was a blur and have a hard time remembering those three days and didn't feel pain from the beating for days after. almost a week in the hospital.
    Last edited by Baron Von Strucker; 10-29-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    I saw Tool years ago and they were amazing. For that tour they took their places on the stage and didn't move the entire night. Just belted out their songs flawlessly and had an impressive light show to go with it.

I went to squamish music festival a couple of years back. Eminem was the headliner and he was incredibly good. Bruno Mars played and put on a good show although it didn't feel pleasant when him and his gang pretended to blow a load on the crowd (my wife and I were in the front row). I saw the Roots there as well and that was a lot of fun. I'd go to more music festivals if I could handle the crowds and annoying people a bit better.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post
    I saw Tool years ago and they were amazing. For that tour they took their places on the stage and didn't move the entire night. Just belted out their songs flawlessly and had an impressive light show to go with it.

I went to squamish music festival a couple of years back. Eminem was the headliner and he was incredibly good. Bruno Mars played and put on a good show although it didn't feel pleasant when him and his gang pretended to blow a load on the crowd (my wife and I were in the front row). I saw the Roots there as well and that was a lot of fun. I'd go to more music festivals if I could handle the crowds and annoying people a bit better.
    You're saying your wife wouldn't be eager to have a Bruno Mars load blown on her?
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post

You're saying your wife wouldn't be eager to have a Bruno Mars load blown on her?
    She might man, maybe that's why I didn't enjoy that part of the show. Mars and that pack of dudes all came to the front of the stage and pretended to jerk off and spurt loads into the crowd.

I also say Jay Z live years ago and that was a hell of a show. He has a larger than life stage presence and sounded great live.

Load Metric
    Troye Sivan. And it’s not close.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Comments

WillieMcFML: lol
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Troye Sivan. And it’s not close.
    What live song should I YouTube and watch? Never heard of him...

Load Metric
    I've seen Def Leppard thrice, once on their first headlining tour for Pyromania & my first concert ever, & then again in the 2000's in an arena with the Tea Party opening & then again in a smaller venue & enjoyed them every time as they put on a great show.

Enjoyed Billy Idol in the 80's & again when he & Steve Stevens reunited for their tour in about 2005 also in a small venue with great acoustics.

Saw the Police on their stadium reunion tour in 2009? & was worth the wait.

Also saw the Eagles 4 times now & enjoyed them but they are more my wife's cup of tea.

Best show I ever saw was David Wilcox in a very small venue when he was an unknown just starting out in the mid 80's. I'll never forget the show. He's an incredible entertainer.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Agree about DW saw him at the Astoria hotel bar in Jasper Alberta by a fluke
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Saw Roger Waters recently, and that was impressive.

Comments

Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe: best lyricist of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    (I'm) a little preoccupied in Thailand right now

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I know there are some Indy people on PFA. They are very old now, but Sloppy Seconds shows were legendary

Load Metric
    Baron Von Strucker: Agree about DW saw him at the Astoria hotel bar in Jasper Alberta by a fluke
    Wow that must have been fantastic. What year was that?

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: was visiting canada skiing i think 1988 or 89
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information