Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passenger suing British Airways for being "sandwiched" for 12 hours next to huge passenger

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Passenger suing British Airways for being "sandwiched" for 12 hours next to huge passenger

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/uk/br...ntl/index.html

This lawsuit seems somewhat frivolous. I don't believe the passenger was injured. I think he is just pissed off.

However, I agree that something needs to be done about the size of airline seats.

They are no longer of a proper size to fit many adults, and it's not because of any obesity epidemic. It's because seats and their associated spaces have shrunk, in an attempt to squeeze more money out of each flight.

It has gotten to the point that some discount airlines actually have seats too small for someone 5'8" to comfortably sit! (Google Air Canada Rouge, for example.)

As a tall person who is not freakishly tall, I find it incredibly frustrating that a standard seat cannot accommodate me anymore.

I one had a nightmarish flight where I was "sandwiched" between two tall and heavy people, and it was the longest 6 hours of my life. Even if these two people were tall and thin, it still would have been tough, because the legroom is not enough, thus causing people's legs to spill over to the sides.

I hope airlines are eventually forced to make seats larger again, even if it raises prices a little bit.

I try to purchase economy plus or business class when possible, but sometimes economy plus isn't available, and business class can be ridiculously expensive (sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

This lawsuit seems somewhat frivolous. I don't believe the passenger was injured. I think he is just pissed off.

However, I agree that something needs to be done about the size of airline seats.

They are no longer of a proper size to fit many adults, and it's not because of any obesity epidemic. It's because seats and their associated spaces have shrunk, in an attempt to squeeze more money out of each flight.

It has gotten to the point that some discount airlines actually have seats too small for someone 5'8" to comfortably sit! (Google Air Canada Rouge, for example.)

As a tall person who is not freakishly tall, I find it incredibly frustrating that a standard seat cannot accommodate me anymore.

I one had a nightmarish flight where I was "sandwiched" between two tall and heavy people, and it was the longest 6 hours of my life. Even if these two people were tall and thin, it still would have been tough, because the legroom is not enough, thus causing people's legs to spill over to the sides.

I hope airlines are eventually forced to make seats larger again, even if it raises prices a little bit.

I try to purchase economy plus or business class when possible, but sometimes economy plus isn't available, and business class can be ridiculously expensive (sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't).
    It's a combination of problems. Yes the airlines are trying to squeeze every nickel out of you while trying to be affordable, but
    there is no doubt the average western traveler is much heavier than previous generations.
    A slow descent to the abyss

I overlooked something you said. You hope the airlines are "forced to make seats bigger".
    How does that work in your laissez-faire utopia?

Tony and his Wealth of Nations wisdom may want to chime in but I doubt it.
    Last edited by limitles; 11-16-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i hope he wins something.

i remember reading something recently about some airlines putting in less seats for the comfort and safety of the passengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

It's a combination of problems. Yes the airlines are trying to squeeze every nickel out of you while trying to be affordable, but
    there is no doubt the average western traveler is much heavier than previous generations.

I overlooked something you said. You hope the airlines are "forced to make seats bigger".

I believe in light regulation, not no regulation.

Airlines, as a major mode of transportation in the US, need some government oversight, as they are an essential service.

Just as the government has minimum safety requirements for airlines, so should they have minimum comfort requirements. I would be fine with budget flights being able to operate (where these comfort requirements wouldn't apply), but they would have to be clearly labeled as such, and normal flights should have some sort of reasonable minimum width and length of each seating space.

It is absurd that I can't fly in a standard US airline seat without major discomfort, simply due to my height, which is within normal parameters.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Airlines, as a major mode of transportation in the US, need some government oversight, as they are an essential service.

Just as the government has minimum safety requirements for airlines, so should they have minimum comfort requirements. I would be fine with budget flights being able to operate (where these comfort requirements wouldn't apply), but they would have to be clearly labeled as such, and normal flights should have some sort of reasonable minimum width and length of each seating space.

It is absurd that I can't fly in a standard US airline seat without major discomfort, simply due to my height, which is within normal parameters.
    So the government should have some control over the comfort of your butt but never mind the regulation of C02 emissions and toxic discharge into rivers and oceans cause that is going to influence profits negatively?

And lol oh lol at essential service...Are you kidding me?

I cannot believe the dumb that comes out of this forum......I am not a genius but I feel like one more and more each day I log in

Load Metric
    So were just ok with todge claiming hes not freakishly tall

Load Metric
    but two fingers to my fellow economy plus traveler

Load Metric
    like ur on the flight eating your 18 dollar burger from the terminal that you ordered without onions cuz ur not a piece of a shit drinking the 3 mini whiskeys you put in ur backpack and you see old todge lumbering down the aisle checking the overheads u are like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no cmon cMON

Bronze
    Load Metric
    As someone who is north of 240 and over 6'4, just book the premium economy or first class bulk rate. It's not that much more expensive and it's much, much, much nicer. Never fly southwest. Get status on American or United so you always get the free upgrade to the extra legroom seats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post
    As someone who is north of 240 and over 6'4, just book the premium economy or first class bulk rate. It's not that much more expensive and it's much, much, much nicer. Never fly southwest. Get status on American or United so you always get the free upgrade to the extra legroom seats.
    I’m more curious what kind of diet you have to allow yourself to get to 240+

Comments

Kuntmissioner: Hot dogs on sticks, and ttomatoe-less sandwiches

Load Metric
    Fatties pose an issue with the ovens. Gonna have to gas them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

ABSOLUTELY

Being a true libertarian is anarchy and chaos, doesn't work.

Since it's impossible to truly have a free and competitive market in the airline industry, some regulations are needed..

thank God we are husky and tall, it's a sighn of a HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS SOCIETY AND CULTURE.

Check out those pygmies in North Korea!!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post
    I’m more curious what kind of diet you have to allow yourself to get to 240+
    All carbs, duh.

Load Metric

There is this thing called 1st class. If you want comfort pay for it. The fact is that you are too cheap to do so. May have something to do with your genetic and cultural ancestry.

Comments

big dick: LOL

Load Metric
    Meanwhile, in first class...

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Meanwhile, in first class...

I wish first was really like that. Domestically it is just slightly bigger seats and legroom(much better service though). Internationally it usually is just the pod chairs, except from the middle east carriers and maybe Singapore.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

There is this thing called 1st class. If you want comfort pay for it. The fact is that you are too cheap to do so. May have something to do with your genetic and cultural ancestry.
    I know you're trolling here, but to answer, the problem is that these seats are short in supply and also sometimes prohibitively expensive for most people.

I understand that airlines can't be expected to accommodate unusually tall people, such as guys who are 6'8".

However, when 5% of your passengers are too tall to fit into the average coach seat (which is 10 people or more on many flights, on average), then clearly this is unfair to people who are tall but still very much in the "normal" range for human males.

If flying were just a luxury, then obviously the airlines could just do what they want, but it is now a very common and essential mode of transportation, and there should be some regulations regarding this matter.

As I said, I'd be fine with there also being clearly marked "discount" flights also existing which cramp everyone and where you pay less for that. The problem is that for people of my height, seats with greater legroom either aren't available or are super expensive in many cases.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

NORTH AMERICAN AIRLINES WITH THE MOST LEGROOM

Interjet: 34 inches.
    This Mexico-based, low-cost carrier flies from a handful of U.S. cities to destinations in Mexico and Central and South America. The airline says it removed up to 30 seats on each its aircrafts in order to give customers more space.

Air Canada: 32-34 inches.
    Canada’s largest airline is known for not only low prices but also spacious seats.

JetBlue: 33 inches.
    Although JetBlue recently lowered its average legroom space by adding 12 cabin seats to its latest fleet of planes, the carrier is still a strong runner-up.

Virgin America: 32 inches.
    At 5’11,’’ Virgin America founder Richard Branson doesn't like to be confined to tight spaces—and he doesn’t want his customers flying coach to be either.

Southwest: 32 inches.
    In addition to low rates, the domestic discount carrier gives passengers more space than many of its higher budget competitors.

NORTH AMERICAN AIRLINES WITH LESS LEGROOM
    Alaska Airlines: 31-32 inches.
    Despite the squeeze, coach passengers have the option to book Preferred Plus Seats, which offer 4 inches of extra legroom, starting at an extra $15.

American Airlines: 31 inches.
    Tight space, right? To American Airlines’ credit, after the Fort Worth-based carrier announced last year it would be adding more seats to its Boeing (BA) 737 Max jetliners, the company decided to nix its plans after receiving negative feedback from customers and employees.

Delta: 31 inches.
    Delta, one of the largest airlines in the world, also offers some of the tightest economy seats.

Hawaiian Airlines: 31 inches.
    Despite its tight seating, Hawaiian Airlines recently nabbed the title of the U.S. airline industry’s top-ranked carrier for on-time performance from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

United: 30 to 31 inches.
    With flights to 60 countries spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania, United offers larger “Economy Plus” seating with extra legroom.

Allegiant: 30 inches.
    The budget airline serves more than 100 domestic destinations. Select flights offer “Legroom + seats” that provide passengers with up to 34 inches of legroom.

Spirit: 28 inches.
    Although the airline is tied for last place, Spirit offers some of the cheapest fares.

Frontier: 28 inches.
    The low-cost carrier may offer seriously squashed legroom, but (like Spirit) it has some of the lowest prices.

Just did a quick measurement. At 6'1" I have 26 inches for leg room and that is being slightly generous. The last flight I took I noticed reduced space on either side of me and I didn't have a fatty sitting next to me

https://www.budgettravel.com/article/get-more-plane-legroom
    Last edited by limitles; 11-19-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Load Metric
    I'm 6'2" and often find myself cramped on flights as well, particularly if I have any luggage under the seat in front of me. Would love to have some extra room, but I'm a cheapskate and always just fly regular economy. And that is kind of why we are where we are. We as consumers want the cheapest possible flight above all else. People will still fly on shit tier airlines like Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, etc. because they can get from Southern California to Denver for $50.

And your suggestion of having different classes of flights with different seat/space requirements is just never going to happen. The airlines would say it is prohibitively expensive to have so many different configurations and the idea would get killed there. Even if it did somehow become a regulatory requirement, the airlines would just classify all their flights as budget flights and you would just end up with the same situation.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    I know you're trolling here, but to answer, the problem is that these seats are short in supply and also sometimes prohibitively expensive for most people.

I understand that airlines can't be expected to accommodate unusually tall people, such as guys who are 6'8".

However, when 5% of your passengers are too tall to fit into the average coach seat (which is 10 people or more on many flights, on average), then clearly this is unfair to people who are tall but still very much in the "normal" range for human males.

If flying were just a luxury, then obviously the airlines could just do what they want, but it is now a very common and essential mode of transportation, and there should be some regulations regarding this matter.

As I said, I'd be fine with there also being clearly marked "discount" flights also existing which cramp everyone and where you pay less for that. The problem is that for people of my height, seats with greater legroom either aren't available or are super expensive in many cases.
    So what you are saying is that you “deserve” a better seat, but you don’t want to pay for it. Thanks for proving my point.

Thread Information