Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there no end to this stuff? "Teaching math preserves white privilege"

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    If so, then we need to dismiss nearly everything political ever written on this forum.

Comments

Tellafriend: will have to remember this

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:
    Dicks out for Harambe.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCommode View Post
    Unfortunately, truth is independent of its source. Either these things were said or they weren't. I can find no evidence that they weren't said.
    If being objective is your goal, then don't ask anyone to disprove a negative. The burden of proof is on the one making claims.

I believe that is the point of Sonatine's stupid jewpede remark. By your logic, we should seriously consider the idea that they're alien insects because we have no hard evidence refuting it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    The actual source for this story is here: http://www.infoagepub.com/products/B...matics-Methods

But you'll have to pay $40 to see if this rando-blog is telling the truth. I would assume they probably are.

Load Metric

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I am at the point where I see absolutely no reason to ever give a penny to my alma mater, or any other college. This woman probably makes 100K+/year to peddle her nonsense. And there are a lot of reasonably well payed left wing loony professors everywhere. If you want to spend your hard earned money to support this, than go ahead. Count me out.

I just hope that by the time my son reaches college age, there will be a reasonable alternative to spending $50k+/yr to send him to a radical leftist university. Unfortunately, as things stand now that 4 year degree is the gatekeeper to most good professions, even if you learn nothing useful during those 4-5 years, and in fact learn a lot of nonsense which the real world has to beat out of you, which is what happens in most of the non STEM majors.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Unfortunately, as things stand now that 4 year degree is the gatekeeper to most good professions, even if you learn nothing useful during those 4-5 years, and in fact learn a lot of nonsense which the real world has to beat out of you, which is what happens in most of the non STEM majors.
    If you're majoring in a non-STEM field, I think you know going in that's the sort of nonsense you're signing up for.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    You can spend 10 seconds googling "Rochelle Gutierrez University Illinois" and see the stuff on her webpage and confirm those comments are right in line with what she does/says.

I am curious if anyone has any defense of the actual argument of whether it is appropriate or effective to be politicizing math, and criticism of it as an instrument of "whiteness," or are we just going to attack the credibility of the source?

As far as the reality that on average Asians and Indians (dot) are much better at math than white people, it is actually interesting that right wing (and you can definitely argue racist) personalities address this issue by saying Asians may be better on average at learning mathematics and score higher on average on the math SAT, but white people are better at the innovative side, especially when it comes to applying mathematics innovatively in the real world.

Load Metric
    Guys I just had a second independent source confirm my theory that Jesus was a Jewpede from Mars.

For $40 I'll let you read my blog post about it.

Comments

Sol: Martin Carricopede rep
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    I am saying that the story was written to inflame and divide and that you still have the hook in your mouth.
    Professors are teaching children that math is racist. Isn't that inflammatory and divisive (in addition to mindbogglingly retarded)?

Banned
    Load Metric
    I am curious if anyone has any defense of the actual argument of whether it is appropriate or effective to be politicizing math
    There is no defense. But I think we can all rest easy knowing that the sort of people who would try to politicize mathematics have zero influence over this because they teach shit like women's studies.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Unfortunately, truth is independent of its source. Either these things were said or they weren't. I can find no evidence that they weren't said.
    If being objective is your goal, then don't ask anyone to disprove a negative. The burden of proof is on the one making claims.

I believe that is the point of Sonatine's stupid jewpede remark. By your logic, we should seriously consider the idea that they're alien insects because we have no hard evidence refuting it.
    I'm sorry, but now I've heard it all. We actually do have evidence that Jews are not alien insects. More to the point, this is a forum for the exchange of ideas not a court of law. If a site quotes someone, it is reasonable to discuss that issue until we determine that the site deliberately or accidentally misquoted. If we at a later date determine that the site lied, then our discussion will turn to that issue. This is how a forum for the exchange of ideas works as opposed to a forum for trolls.

Load Metric
    I am curious if anyone has any defense of the actual argument of whether it is appropriate or effective to be politicizing math
    There is no defense. But I think we can all rest easy knowing that the sort of people who would try to politicize mathematics have zero influence over this because they teach shit like women's studies.
    What will end up happening is that bands of militant students will begin shouting down math professors and protesting college administration to teach their new form of retard intersectional math. The administration will cave because to do otherwise would be racist. The new politicized math will become the standard throughout academia.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'm sorry, but now I've heard it all. We actually do have evidence that Jews are not alien insects. More to the point, this is a forum for the exchange of ideas not a court of law. If a site quotes someone, it is reasonable to discuss that issue until we determine that the site deliberately or accidentally misquoted. If we at a later date determine that the site lied, then our discussion will turn to that issue. This is how a forum for the exchange of ideas works as opposed to a forum for trolls.
    Sure, you're free to discuss what you want. If you think it's reasonable to weigh the merits of flat earth with RegGaymer or the lizardman globalists with thesparten (because hey, you can't prove that it's not true!), more power to you.

I was just inviting you to the grownups table where falsifiability is a thing.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    the problem is these sort of people end up on elementary school boards and setting up curriculum for public schools. And when you become a parent who is putting their kid in a public school this is definitely something you have to worry about. My understanding is there has been a lot of "experimenting" in school districts teaching math and sciences in more politically correct ways, and predictably the results have been abysmal.

Load Metric
    We actually do have evidence that Jews are not alien insects.

That evidence being what, your opinion?

Transgenesis is an scientifically validated phenomenon.

You think the Bible has a chapter called Genesis by coincidence?

Grow the fuck up, Christianity and science agree on exactly one thing; Jesus was a transgender space centipede from Mars who colonized this planet, racist.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    The whites, blacks and hispanics are so stupid that now the Orientals are being reverse racismed out of spots in prestigious private schools and universities!

Comments

sonatine: honestly had to be said..... in hebrew

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlunderMaker View Post
    You're all attacking the website but not refuting anything they reported. Just follow the links they give.

https://education.illinois.edu/faculty/rg1

There's her profile right on the university website.

Here is her twitter profile. Lots of good stuff there too
    https://twitter.com/RG1gal

There is a concerted and growing effort in academia to politicize math. Math is racist now. What a world.

I am in no way saying some wackjob public school teacher didn't say it.

I am saying that the story was written to inflame and divide and that you still have the hook in your mouth.

Simple minded white men are being radicalized online.

Banned
    Load Metric
    the problem is these sort of people end up on elementary school boards and setting up curriculum for public schools. And when you become a parent who is putting their kid in a public school this is definitely something you have to worry about. My understanding is there has been a lot of "experimenting" in school districts teaching math and sciences in more politically correct ways, and predictably the results have been abysmal.
    I disagree with you and BlunderMaker that the sky is falling in that regard. It's an issue, but an exaggerated one imo. We have a worse problem with religious fundamentalists on school boards politicizing history and science. My home state is infamous for this. I was taught abstinence-only sex ed and had science teachers making a case for creationism. But even as a kid I saw through that as bullshit, probably because kids' attitudes about these things are more strongly influenced by their parents.

Public school has a always been kind of a joke anyway. High school is not very challenging for bright students with serious academic aspirations. They will have to play catch up when they get to college regardless, and I don't see identity politics ever being an issue in higher education STEM departments. If some university churns out engineers that find thermodynamics problematic, Boeing will recruit elsewhere, and other schools will take its place as institutions to be taken seriously.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The problem here is that you can't just avoid these classes by simply majoring in STEM fields.

For example, when I was in college -- and mind you, we're talking the much less politically correct early 1990s -- I was required to take a Black Studies course, where the professor called the LA rioters "freedom fighters".

Regardless of its overall impact upon society, some of us find it obnoxious that public funds are spent on hiring college professors with such radical views, and that little is done in most cases when outrageous behavior of theirs is brought to light.

Furthermore, it stinks that you are forced to take these courses as "general ed", regardless of your major. You basically have to lie in your essays in such classes if you don't want to get a failing grade.

Thread Information