Thread: dear fags and fagettes we need to set aside our differences and stop this immediately

Load Metric

dear fags and fagettes we need to set aside our differences and stop this immediately

A reboot of the Tom Selleck detective drama Magnum P.I. is in the works at CBS, which aired the original series for eight seasons in the Eighties.

The rebooted Magnum P.I. will feature an updated plot that "follows Thomas Magnum (Selleck's former role), a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator. With help from fellow vets Theodore 'TC' Calvin and Orville 'Rick' Wright, as well as that of disavowed former MI:6 agent Juliet Higgins, Magnum takes on the cases no one else will, helping those who have no one else to turn to."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Magnum PI was a sort-of spinoff of The Rockford Files.

They tried two episodes of Rockford with Tom Selleck playing a rival PI named Lance White, who was incredibly similar to Magnum. When the character was well received, they created Magnum very shortly thereafter.

Not sure how I feel about a new version of it.

Comments

Flipper_Fair: Lance White was awesome

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

They tried two episodes of Rockford with Tom Selleck playing a rival PI named Lance White, who was incredibly similar to Magnum. When the character was well received, they created Magnum very shortly thereafter.

What is with your bizarre obsession with the Rockford Files? That show fucking sucked. He was a private detective who operated out of a trailer with some old guy hanging around. I can't think of a worse plot line. Maybe Alex Keaton walking around in that douchey suit was worse, but not by much.

Comments

ThreeBet: Alex P Keaton was a GOD

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandinavian Bob View Post

What is with your bizarre obsession with the Rockford Files? That show fucking sucked. He was a private detective who operated out of a trailer with some old guy hanging around. I can't think of a worse plot line. Maybe Alex Keaton walking around in that douchey suit was worse, but not by much.
    Rockford Files was great for exactly that reason.

Rather than being a slick private eye who oozed coolness, Rockford was more of a lovable loser who perpetually ran bad in life (including spending years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.)

He constantly dealt with hassles and frustrations, but still managed to get shit done.

Great show.

Probably couldn't be successfully remade in modern times, though. They even tried with TV movies in the '90s, and they were fail.

Banned
    Load Metric

Rather than being a slick private eye who oozed coolness, Rockford was more of a lovable loser who perpetually ran bad in life (including spending years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.)

He constantly dealt with hassles and frustrations, but still managed to get shit done.

Great show.

Probably couldn't be successfully remade in modern times, though. They even tried with TV movies in the '90s, and they were fail.
    That's pretty much the "hardboiled detective" archetype, and it's a great one. Street smart characters that get completely shit on by life, but persevere with dogged determination. Some modern examples are John Luther and Jessica Jones. Even Batman kind of fits the bill.

Load Metric
    How does anybody possibly hate The Rockford Files?

Comments

big dick: .
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Fellas this thread is about the greatest crisis of our times, not the Rockford Files.

Speaking of street smart detectives shit on by life, they will probably bring back Luther H. Gillis as Lucy H. Gillis.

Load Metric
    Rockford Files was a hit & on Friday nights too. The "old guy" was Noah Beery. Had been around forever & very good actor.

PI came out when I quit watching TV & started partying every night. May have seen a handful of episodes. Didn't really move me. Sounds like the new PI is going "pro bono". This is going to suck big time.

BTW, saw some of the "Equalizer" series. That was a decent show.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Burn Notice is better.

BRING BACK BURN NOTICE.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandinavian Bob View Post

Great show.

Absolutely agree on all points..

On one hand he was more "real" but also had some swag.. I think a remake would work if they stay true to that.

I would say my favorites would be.

Magnum p.i.
    Riptide.
    Remington steele
    Simone and Simon.
    Rockford files..

Thread Information