Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: golfers thread

Banned
    Load Metric

golfers thread

just thought id start a golf thread outside of the pga

would love to talk about preps, swing thoughts, short game tips and reads on the greens.

as for my difficulties currently they are pulls hitting driver and long irons. I recently changed grips to basically a total overhand. I've lost some yardage but everything is going either completely straight or completely pulled. Using this grip I've had to club up 1-2 clubs on my buddies who basically shoot in the low to mid 80's. For some reason I just cannot turn over on the ball and that's why I switched my grip. I mean if I go normal I'm slicing basically anything. The good news is the tips where we play arent exactly crazy long so if i pop off a 250-260 drive on the fairway likely im in great shape. I haven't lost my short game at all, knocked one in from the sand, chipped one in and on a huge upslope flopped a shot in over the weekend. Knocked down a bunch of 1 putts etc. I'm completely fine with a 260 drive, I know I can go longer but it's going to be very inconsistent. Biggest issue is my approach, I just seem to pull the fuck out of other shot or hit it entirely too fat.

if anyone has question i would be happy to chime in, im not the authority but im sure i could help.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

would love to talk about preps, swing thoughts, short game tips and reads on the greens.

as for my difficulties currently they are pulls hitting driver and long irons. I recently changed grips to basically a total overhand. I've lost some yardage but everything is going either completely straight or completely pulled. Using this grip I've had to club up 1-2 clubs on my buddies who basically shoot in the low to mid 80's. For some reason I just cannot turn over on the ball and that's why I switched my grip. I mean if I go normal I'm slicing basically anything. The good news is the tips where we play arent exactly crazy long so if i pop off a 250-260 drive on the fairway likely im in great shape. I haven't lost my short game at all, knocked one in from the sand, chipped one in and on a huge upslope flopped a shot in over the weekend. Knocked down a bunch of 1 putts etc. I'm completely fine with a 260 drive, I know I can go longer but it's going to be very inconsistent. Biggest issue is my approach, I just seem to pull the fuck out of other shot or hit it entirely too fat.

if anyone has question i would be happy to chime in, im not the authority but im sure i could help.
    Driver and long irons are my problem too. I slice the fuck out of them. I tried changing grips, the position of the ball in my stance, just about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I would like to develop a more consistent pre swing approach. This would include being more precise on where I am playing the ball in my stance per club.

I feel like I waste atleast a stroke getting a ball out of a green side bunker if I have to carry 25-30 yards. Feel like I am just scooping under the ball. Should I just increase my swing speed? By opening the face more will it give it more loft for a softer landing?

What should I be thinking about when playing on a down slope with the ball under my feet 6in-1foot?

Also looking for a new golf shoe, something more athletic that is breathable with flexibility. Been looking at these...
    Name:  addidas.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  39.5 KB

Load Metric

If you're hitting some straight, some pulls, make sure your shoulders are aligned correctly. I was hitting pulls for awhile, and my body and feet were aligned, but my shoulders weren't squared up. Sometimes the ball is too far forward in stance also.

I was kind of stuck in transition for awhile between a really consistent, but like 235 yard fade, and a long 280-300, but oft missed draw. Whenever I missed the draw, I pulled that fucker into the next fairway, deep. A lot of the time it was because I had my feet and hips correct, but my shoulders were a little open from hitting a draw for so long. I watched some videos about my stance online and made an adjustment, and I'm hitting really well now.

I've always been a really good putter, but right now I'm leaving a few strokes out there every round. It's always something. I can count those magical days when it all came together on one hand.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLE DOUBLE View Post
    I would like to develop a more consistent pre swing approach. This would include being more precise on where I am playing the ball in my stance per club.

I feel like I waste atleast a stroke getting a ball out of a green side bunker if I have to carry 25-30 yards. Feel like I am just scooping under the ball. Should I just increase my swing speed? By opening the face more will it give it more loft for a softer landing?

What should I be thinking about when playing on a down slope with the ball under my feet 6in-1foot?

Also looking for a new golf shoe, something more athletic that is breathable with flexibility. Been looking at these...
    Name:  addidas.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  39.5 KB
    If the ball is below my feet a considerable amount, I expect a slice. I adjust my aim accordingly, and try and make a normal swing. Ball above me, I expect the hook and do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I took lessons at the beginning of the summer to work on my swing. I was able to add about 30 yards to my drive (220-250ish), my short game improved dramatically and I was already able to break 100 so far. My next goal is 90 going out later today.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

Driver and long irons are my problem too. I slice the fuck out of them. I tried changing grips, the position of the ball in my stance, just about everything.
    Slicing is usually all about swing path. Little fixes here and there will help, but you will never have consistency. You need to get an inside out swing path. Basically you should feel like you are reaching "out" during your follow through. You also need to have your wrists in the correct position at all times, but especially on the downswing and at impact with the ball.

Someone mentioned scooping as well. This is because you are breaking your wrists and not keeping your hands out in front of the ball. Remember, you want to "compress" the ball, meaning you need to hit down on it. Concentrate on taking a divot AFTER hitting the ball.

I could talk this shit all damn day, it's mostly all I've thought about and done for the past year.

Banned
    Load Metric
    ... I mean if I go normal I'm slicing basically anything.
    Just smear some Vaseline or Chapstick on your club face.

You will consistently hit straight, long golf shots.

This never fails. It is an instant golf slice cure.

Name:  vaseline1.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  16.6 KB

or this, which I feel works even better:

Name:  chapstick1.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  18.5 KB

Platinum
    Load Metric

I am guessing you mean overlap grip, or "10 finger" grip. You won't find many experts on that, because 99% use a standard interlock style. Luckily for you I happen to be one of the 1%.

1. It is totally different hand action, especially at impact. You will tend to pull/hook everything(except modern drivers, see 2) as your r wrist rolls over a lot easier. You have to completely change your swing path to compensate.

2. It is damn near impossible to hook massive headed modern driver heads with any consistency, even with an overlap grip. Don't try to, develop a driver swing and more of a straight/power fade type shot.

3. Short game is biggest difference of all. To this day I can't imagine how people chip and have feel with an interlock grip. No feel whatsoever. With a overlap your short game should improve greatly, but it takes time. HAVE to have great hands.

4. Number 1 rule of any shot of about 50 yds and in and around the greens, keep the left arm TIGHT to your body. If the left arm gets flying out, you will never hit a good shot. Ever. If you keep it tight you will rarely miss.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

I am guessing you mean overlap grip, or "10 finger" grip. You won't find many experts on that, because 99% use a standard interlock style. Luckily for you I happen to be one of the 1%.

1. It is totally different hand action, especially at impact. You will tend to pull/hook everything(except modern drivers, see 2) as your r wrist rolls over a lot easier. You have to completely change your swing path to compensate.

2. It is damn near impossible to hook massive headed modern driver heads with any consistency, even with an overlap grip. Don't try to, develop a driver swing and more of a straight/power fade type shot.

3. Short game is biggest difference of all. To this day I can't imagine how people chip and have feel with an interlock grip. No feel whatsoever. With a overlap your short game should improve greatly, but it takes time. HAVE to have great hands.

4. Number 1 rule of any shot of about 50 yds and in and around the greens, keep the left arm TIGHT to your body. If the left arm gets flying out, you will never hit a good shot. Ever. If you keep it tight you will rarely miss.

lol. This is the biggest pile of crap I've read about golf in quite a long time. Interlock is standard grip?! You fucking kidding me? Just because Tiger and Jack used this grip doesn't mean it is widely used. I'd guess 80% of professional golfers use overlap but I'm guessing on this. Interlock is basically for people with small or weak hands.

I could fix muck ficon's slice in less than 10 minutes, guaranteed.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

You never even met the dude, let alone seen his swing. I'd love to know how you could fix his slice when you don't even know for sure what is causing it. There is no way in hell you can simplify his issues and say you can fix it in 10 minutes. There could be 50 other things he is doing wrong that you would have to address before even working on the slice.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post

You never even met the dude, let alone seen his swing. I'd love to know how you could fix his slice when you don't even know for sure what is causing it. There is no way in hell you can simplify his issues and say you can fix it in 10 minutes. There could be 50 other things he is doing wrong that you would have to address before even working on the slice.

I've been a scratch golfer for over 20 years. Golf has been a major part of my life since I was 10. I went to college on full golf scholarship. I played the US Junior with Tiger. I'm not some hack, 20 handicap here. Ok? I can stop anyone from slicing in 10 minutes.

Load Metric

And I know you're a golfer. I guarantee I'll wipe my ass with your face all over the course too. Tell me how much and I'll fly out or fly you here.

Load Metric

And I know you're a golfer. I guarantee I'll wipe my ass with your face all over the course too. Tell me how much and I'll fly out or fly you here.
    Wow dude, nice tilt. All I did was question how you think you can fix someones slice within 10 minutes without even knowing a thing about their swing or golf experience, and you go off on some rant about how great you are. I wasn't attacking you, I was simply asking a question. I guess you just feel the need to flex your e golf muscles when questioned instead of actually having a mature discussion about golf.

Also, where did you see me say that I am some great golfer? I took a 25 year lay off from the game and just started playing again last summer. I've been playing at least 2 times a week ever since, taking lessons and practicing every chance I get and am still around a 10 handicap. IMO saying you can fix someones slice in 10 minutes without even meeting them and knowing their ability is asinine. I mean, maybe you can tell them what you think they are doing wrong, but if you think you can consistently fix all the issues that are causing the slice in 10 minutes, maybe you think a little too highly of your teaching ability.

Load Metric

Wow dude, nice tilt. All I did was question how you think you can fix someones slice within 10 minutes without even knowing a thing about their swing or golf experience, and you go off on some rant about how great you are. I wasn't attacking you, I was simply asking a question. I guess you just feel the need to flex your e golf muscles when questioned instead of actually having a mature discussion about golf.

Also, where did you see me say that I am some great golfer? I took a 25 year lay off from the game and just started playing again last summer. I've been playing at least 2 times a week ever since, taking lessons and practicing every chance I get and am still around a 10 handicap. IMO saying you can fix someones slice in 10 minutes without even meeting them and knowing their ability is asinine. I mean, maybe you can tell them what you think they are doing wrong, but if you think you can consistently fix all the issues that are causing the slice in 10 minutes, maybe you think a little too highly of your teaching ability.
    Ok, just by reading his 2 posts in this thread it is obvious he isn't clueless about the game. He may be a beater, but he isn't the worst golfer in the world. I can fix his slice. I never said I could put the guy on the pro tour. I may not even make him a better player but I can stop the slice. End of story. If I saw his grip/setup/swing in person, you could prob tell him what to do. This isn't brain surgery.

You play twice a week...I play 20 times a year if I'm lucky. I'm far from some golf god. I'm sorry you got so offended.

Platinum
    Load Metric

lol. This is the biggest pile of crap I've read about golf in quite a long time. Interlock is standard grip?! You fucking kidding me? Just because Tiger and Jack used this grip doesn't mean it is widely used. I'd guess 80% of professional golfers use overlap but I'm guessing on this. Interlock is basically for people with small or weak hands.

I'll feed the bitch troll.

THERE ARE MAYBE 5 PRO GOLFERS IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME WHO USE A 10 FINGER OVERLAP FAGGOT.

Unlike you I KNOW this, look it the fuck up.

Bob Estes was one, I can't think of any others.

80% L-O-L. That shows how fucking stupid you really are, as if we didn't all know already.

You are a certified imbecile, and I would swing circles around you on the golf course.

Load Metric

Ok, just by reading his 2 posts in this thread it is obvious he isn't clueless about the game. He may be a beater, but he isn't the worst golfer in the world. I can fix his slice. I never said I could put the guy on the pro tour. I may not even make him a better player but I can stop the slice. End of story. If I saw his grip/setup/swing in person, you could prob tell him what to do. This isn't brain surgery.

You play twice a week...I play 20 times a year if I'm lucky. I'm far from some golf god. I'm sorry you got so offended.
    Not offended at all. I just know how damn hard this game is, and a slice is the most common problem amateurs have. Even knowing what the problem is, it still can take months, maybe even years to correct with some consistency. Telling someone what their problem is, and them actually being able to do it consistently is definitely two different things.

Load Metric

I'll feed the bitch troll.

THERE ARE MAYBE 5 PRO GOLFERS IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME WHO USE A 10 FINGER OVERLAP FAGGOT.

Unlike you I KNOW this, look it the fuck up.

Bob Estes was one, I can't think of any others.

80% L-O-L. That shows how fucking stupid you really are, as if we didn't all know already.

You are a certified imbecile, and I would swing circles around you on the golf course.
    Do you even know what an overlap grip is? I'm not talking baseball grip here you douchebag. I'm talking about the most popular grip in golf. The fucking overlap. Look it up.

If you use the baseball grip then you aren't running circles around anyone here, or anywhere for that matter, lol.

Load Metric

Not offended at all. I just know how damn hard this game is, and a slice is the most common problem amateurs have. Even knowing what the problem is, it still can take months, maybe even years to correct with some consistency. Telling someone what their problem is, and them actually being able to do it consistently is definitely two different things.
    You change your grip enough and its almost impossible to slice. I have the other problem....I hook the shit out of it sometimes. I wish I could slice the ball...I wish I could take the left side out of play completely.

Load Metric

You change your grip enough and its almost impossible to slice. I have the other problem....I hook the shit out of it sometimes. I wish I could slice the ball...I wish I could take the left side out of play completely.

Do golfers have lockerooms when they play in tournaments? Did you see tiger get changed?

Thread Information